ImageImageImageImageImage

Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Steph with the Warriors? 

Post#21 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:05 pm

So tired of this new trend of when a great player is on a non-contender he has to move to a contender for MOAR RINGZ.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#22 » by xdrta+ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:40 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:So tired of this new trend of when a great player is on a non-contender he has to move to a contender for MOAR RINGZ.

I know, people whine about "superteams," but when someone like Lillard, or now Steph, is on a non-contender, all you hear is 'they should leave so they can win a ring.' Go to the Lakers, get another ring.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#23 » by and1GS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Other than loyalty, what is there to keep Damian Lillard with the Blazers?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#24 » by Onus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:18 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:So tired of this new trend of when a great player is on a non-contender he has to move to a contender for MOAR RINGZ.

Steph just isn't some great player though. He has a chance to be a top 10 player of all time maybe even top 5. It's on the organization to give him that chance. The warriors are willing to pay for it but do they have the people in place to give him that chance? That's what people are wondering.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#25 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm

Onus wrote:

Steph just isn't some great player though. He has a chance to be a top 10 player of all time maybe even top 5. It's on the organization to give him that chance. The warriors are willing to pay for it but do they have the people in place to give him that chance? That's what people are wondering.

He doesn’t strike me as someone who cares about legacy. That’s for Lebron the egomaniac to lose sleep over. He seems like the type to play at the highest level and not surrounded by players who drive into three defenders. He wants to win and enjoy the process. At his age, don’t ask him to take over leading some fresh out of college teammates.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#26 » by Onus » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:41 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:

He doesn’t strike me as someone who cares about legacy. That’s for Lebron the egomaniac to lose sleep over. He seems like the type to play at the highest level and not surrounded by players who drive into three defenders. He wants to win and enjoy the process. At his age, don’t ask him to take over leading some fresh out of college teammates.

Yea Steph doesn't come off that way. But at the end of your argument you're essentially saying the same thing he shouldn't be on a team full of freshmen and g league talent
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#27 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:43 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Onus wrote:

I agree. We should all remember that Lebron's obsession with his "legacy" is abnormal and an ugly trait. It's unfortunate that KD has become infected by it and we should all hope it ends when Lebron retires. It seems clear that Steph is far more grounded and humble than the prior mentioned self-obsessed individuals which is one reason why it's great to be a Warriors fan and why we shouldn't be torturing ourselves which such neurotic topics of discussion.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#28 » by sonnyhill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Money_ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:Money?

Yes?
:lol:

I'm all good with Steph getting another max contract to stay with the Warriors; however, he also to step up his game to compete with LeBron and KD in the recruitment of stars to the Warriors, too (BTW, Steph has proven his ability in the past to do this, as he was part of the "Hampton Five" in their successful recruitment of KD to the Warriors). Steph has been given a pass by the media and us fans for being the "face of the franchise." It is now time for Steph to prove his worthiness to the Warriors (for a new max contract extension), start recruiting other stars to the team, and also step up his game in the playoffs, too!!!

We all want to see Steph retire as a Warrior, but not if the franchise is sucking wind as it strives towards entertaining mediocrity. Steph needs to get off his @ss and help rebuild the roster!
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#29 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
Money_ wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:Money?

Yes?
:lol:

I'm all good with Steph getting another max contract to stay with the Warriors; however, he also to step up his game to compete with LeBron and KD in the recruitment of stars to the Warriors, too (BTW, Steph has proven his ability in the past to do this, as he was part of the "Hampton Five" in their successful recruitment of KD to the Warriors). Steph has been given a pass by the media and us fans for being the "face of the franchise." It is now time for Steph to prove his worthiness to the Warriors (for a new max contract extension), start recruiting other stars to the team, and also step up his game in the playoffs, too!!!

We all want to see Steph retire as a Warrior, but not if the franchise is sucking wind as it strives towards entertaining mediocrity. Steph needs to get off his @ss and help rebuild the roster!

Do you know the best way to recruit stars as a player? You beat them. Better if you're the underdog because that really impresses.

Second best is to make friends with them and have them sign up with your friend's talent agency.

Are there any other proven ways lately? Don't know.

The targeted stars need to be primed though. They need to be looking to move on from their current situation.

Steph is probably much weaker at the friendship thing because he's been more of a husband and family man than a party goer.

Front office really needs to step up. Maybe study how Morey was able to keep renewing the Rockets and now Sixers.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#30 » by shazam_guy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Steph Curry, who works incredibly hard, is putting up an MVP-type season with little help, and turned this franchise from one of the all-time losers into a team that has to be discussed with the best ever, needs to "get off his ass" and do more?

Lord, give me strength.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#31 » by Old_Blue » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:08 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:I agree. We should all remember that Lebron's obsession with his "legacy" is abnormal and an ugly trait. It's unfortunate that KD has become infected by it and we should all hope it ends when Lebron retires. It seems clear that Steph is far more grounded and humble than the prior mentioned self-obsessed individuals which is one reason why it's great to be a Warriors fan and why we shouldn't be torturing ourselves which such neurotic topics of discussion.

Nothing you describe is changing any time soon. Kawhi forced a trade, as did Harden. The use of player opt outs in contracts has increased. If anything, I think we're likely to see more player movement in the future. There's nothing "abnormal" or "ugly" about it. That's just free market capitalism.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#32 » by and1GS » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Steph doesn't need to 'step up' and do anything. He's done more than enough.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by sonnyhill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 pm

and1GS wrote:Steph doesn't need to 'step up' and do anything. He's done more than enough.

Let's hope that Steph has more respect for the team and the fanbase than you do. It is not enough just to make the nightly ESPN highlight reel when you are the highest paid player on the team and are expected to lead the team towards competing for and winning championships. Leaders step up and do whatever it takes to improve their respective teams. If putting on his recruiting hat is too much for Steph, then it is time for the team to move on from him.

And, no, "he has not done more than enough." Enough is when the team is competing for and winning championships.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by sonnyhill » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:19 pm

Old_Blue wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:I agree. We should all remember that Lebron's obsession with his "legacy" is abnormal and an ugly trait. It's unfortunate that KD has become infected by it and we should all hope it ends when Lebron retires. It seems clear that Steph is far more grounded and humble than the prior mentioned self-obsessed individuals which is one reason why it's great to be a Warriors fan and why we shouldn't be torturing ourselves which such neurotic topics of discussion.

Nothing you describe is changing any time soon. Kawhi forced a trade, as did Harden. The use of player opt outs in contracts has increased. If anything, I think we're likely to see more player movement in the future. There's nothing "abnormal" or "ugly" about it. That's just free market capitalism.

You are 100% correct.

Player mobility is part of today's game and the Warriors should not only benefit from this ecosystem; the Warriors should win in this ecosystem, too.

Great ownership group, new arena, large media market, great area of the country to live in, access to Silicon Valley, a recent legacy of competing for an winning championships should be leveraged as the team looks to improve its roster.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#35 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:34 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:He doesn’t strike me as someone who cares about legacy.

Disagree. He would not have accomplished what he has if he wasn't driven and had a will to win. He did say the following: "I have a lot to accomplish. I don't have anything to prove." Fortunately for the Dubs he also said, "What drives me is just having fun. I truly love to play basketball. I'm just appreciative and grateful that it's at the highest level, and I get to kind of still pursue a higher level of excellence on the court." which kind of softens the edges. Maybe the prospect of leaving the Warriors won't make it fun anymore and makes it less likely he'd leave. But is he concerned with his legacy? Yes.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#36 » by xdrta+ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:42 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
and1GS wrote:Steph doesn't need to 'step up' and do anything. He's done more than enough.

Let's hope that Steph has more respect for the team and the fanbase than you do. It is not enough just to make the nightly ESPN highlight reel when you are the highest paid player on the team and are expected to lead the team towards competing for and winning championships. Leaders step up and do whatever it takes to improve their respective teams. If putting on his recruiting had is too much for Steph, then it is time for the team to move on from him.

And, no, "he has not done more than enough." Enough is when the team is competing for and winning championships.

That's just silly. "Recruiting," whatever that means, is not a player's job. Management hires the players, pays the players, and decides how to staff the team. Saying any of that is a player's responsibility makes no sense.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#37 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 pm

WarriorGM wrote:

Disagree. He would not have accomplished what he has if he wasn't driven and had a will to win. He did say the following: "I have a lot to accomplish. I don't have anything to prove." Fortunately for the Dubs he also said, "What drives me is just having fun. I truly love to play basketball. I'm just appreciative and grateful that it's at the highest level, and I get to kind of still pursue a higher level of excellence on the court." which kind of softens the edges. Maybe the prospect of leaving the Warriors won't make it fun anymore and makes it less likely he'd leave. But is he concerned with his legacy? Yes.

Legacy doesn't drive Steph. Championships and the lofting of trophies drive Steph. Legacy is not something he's in control of, he's only in control of his own play. Steph's smart enough to know there's no point caring about the things he can't control. He can control what he does on the court, he can't control what people say about it after the fact.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#38 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Legacy doesn't drive Steph. Championships and the lofting of trophies drive Steph. Legacy is not something he's in control of, he's only in control of his own play. Steph's smart enough to know there's no point caring about the things he can't control. He can control what he does on the court, he can't control what people say about it after the fact.

Championships, excellence, and staying with one team are all bound up in legacy.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#39 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:58 pm

Old_Blue wrote:

That's not what's abnormal and ugly. It's Lebron's obsession with trying to shape how people think and feel about him now and in the future that's abnormal and ugly. And Steph couldn't care less about that crap.

Steph plays to secure his and his family's financial future, because he loves to play the game and because he loves to compete. In short he does it all for himself and for all of us that derive joy from watching him on court.

As for free market capitalism, in this era of global capitalism's crisis it's ugly, abnormal, anti-social and crumbling around us. But I'm not sure how that's relevant to this discussion.
The hottest of takes...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#40 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:00 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Championships, excellence, and staying with one team are all bound up in legacy.

Others will be responsible for shaping his so-called legacy. It's always been that way and always will be.

Steph should keep his focus on the court and led Bob Myers handle the rest.
The hottest of takes...

Return to Golden State Warriors