ImageImageImageImageImage

What would your game plan to stop Curry?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Re: What would your game plan to stop Curry? 

Post#21 » by HiRez » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 pm

Putting 4 guys around him (boxed in) might not be a bad strategy. Because even if he gets a pass off there's really no one else on this team you can trust to knock down an open shot.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#22 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 am

My dream defenders lineup would be

CP3
Tony Allen
Shane Battier
Ben Simmons
KG

not including OG greats like Pip, GP etc.

I would full court press randomly to throw him off. Foul him with scrubs to get him out of rythem. have someone specifically designated to foul out and talk trash to get him off his game.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#23 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 am

I would use the Curry stopper, Raul Neto.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#24 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:46 am

Have him play the Wizards.... :(
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#25 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 am

At last Jordan Poole is solidifying his game at this point. Pretty consistent....Really this is all getting ready for a solid run next year. He's a positive.

BTW....I know Oubre had a good scoring night....but did you guys notice how the spacing was really bad....people were running into each other all night? My theory is he just doesn't understand how to move in a team concept so two people are often in the same space etc....

Not blaming it all on him....Wiggins and Curry...wow....10-50 combined or something like that lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#26 » by aussie_pride » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:42 am

Outside wrote:As much as I can't stand Mark Jackson, he did point out something in the Boston game (at least I think it was him and not JVG) -- pick up Curry full court. Don't let him just walk the ball up into the front court. He chided Marcus Smart, said you're one of the best defenders in the league, accept the challenge of guarding the best shooter of all time on a night when he's on fire and harass Curry for 94 feet, not just the last 30. I don't know about doing that every possession, but it seems worthwhile in the last few minutes of the fourth.

One of my strategies would be to switch when he is coming off screens. My logic is that it is better to have a mismatch and have a defender on him than having the person defending him get screened out and giving up a pretty good look. In a sense, I think having different defenders on Steph works well because it mixes up his looks and disrupts his rhythm. I have always felt that continuity/repetition is the key to shooting and if you can disrupt this then you are going to cause misses.
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#27 » by aussie_pride » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:38 am

Outside wrote:As much as I can't stand Mark Jackson, he did point out something in the Boston game (at least I think it was him and not JVG) -- pick up Curry full court. Don't let him just walk the ball up into the front court. He chided Marcus Smart, said you're one of the best defenders in the league, accept the challenge of guarding the best shooter of all time on a night when he's on fire and harass Curry for 94 feet, not just the last 30. I don't know about doing that every possession, but it seems worthwhile in the last few minutes of the fourth.

Out of curiosity, why can't you stand Mark Jackson? Is it because he gets too sentimental during his commentary and makes ridiculously hyperbolic assertions, like Curry being the most impactful player in the NBA over the last 40 years? Sometimes I think he sounds too much like a Pastor during his commentary...

Onto picking up Curry full-court and I actually agree with that. It would definitely be part of my "Curry Rules" to do that because when he starts heating up, he begins feeling confident taking those 30ft+ long-range bombs. The reason why he takes them is because the defender picking him up as he is bring the ball up court gets lazy with his coverage and gives him too much room.

Another thing that I would consider doing is having two people go up to contest his shots. I remember that strategy worked really well in stopping Kyrie Irving as he struggled to finish at the rim when there was a crowd of hands in front of him. Perhaps a similar strategy could work when contesting Curry's shots. I would also consider putting a long defender on him to block out his view of the rim. Ideally, you want him having to put as much arc on his shots as possible and blocking out his view of the cup would make things even harder.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,245

Post#28 » by Outside » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:31 am

aussie_pride wrote:

Out of curiosity, why can't you stand Mark Jackson? Is it because he gets too sentimental during his commentary and makes ridiculously hyperbolic assertions, like Curry being the most impactful player in the NBA over the last 40 years? Sometimes I think he sounds too much like a Pastor during his commentary...

Onto picking up Curry full-court and I actually agree with that. It would definitely be part of my "Curry Rules" to do that because when he starts heating up, he begins feeling confident taking those 30ft+ long-range bombs. The reason why he takes them is because the defender picking him up as he is bring the ball up court gets lazy with his coverage and gives him too much room.

Another thing that I would consider doing is having two people go up to contest his shots. I remember that strategy worked really well in stopping Kyrie Irving as he struggled to finish at the rim when there was a crowd of hands in front of him. Perhaps a similar strategy could work when contesting Curry's shots. I would also consider putting a long defender on him to block out his view of the rim. Ideally, you want him having to put as much arc on his shots as possible and blocking out his view of the cup would make things even harder.

I didn't like Mark Jackson's color commentating style before he became coach of the Warriors. He was way way too into his catchphrases -- hand down man down, momma there goes that man, that kind of thing. He's not as bad about that as he used to be, but I still don't like him as a color commentator.

As coach of the Warriors, he was horrific on multiple levels. He deserves credit for getting them to play defense and elevating them to a good record, but his offense was stuck in the past, as if they should play the way he did in the 90s.

But even that is minor in comparison to the destruction he sowed on an interpersonal level. He resented his assistant coaches, didn't want them to get any attention or credit because that took the spotlight away from him, and he pitted them against each other. He used lies to pit players against each other -- he told the team that Festus Ezeli, who was injured at the time, wanted them to lose so that Ezeli would look good if they won when he got back; the team confronted Ezeli about it, which he denied, in tears that they would think he would do such a thing. He demanded that all players participate in prayers and other religious aspects. He feuded with management and barred them, including Jerry West, from practice. He was a corrupt manipulator who alienated almost everyone. He flew to LA so that he could give sermons at his church. He's said things that aren't supportive of gays, and the President of the Warriors, Rick Welts, is gay. And all this religious stuff from a guy who had an affair with a prostitute and had to go to the FBI when she blackmailed him with nude photos. Things were so dysfunctional that one assistant started recording everything. Assistant Brian Scalabrine, one of the most likeable guys ever, refused to talk to Jackson and was reassigned to coach the Santa Cruz Warriors.

There's a reason Jackson hasn't gotten another NBA coaching job. Lots of reasons, actually. From a pure coaching standpoint, it's no coincidence that the team improved tremendously the minute that Steve Kerr took over.

So, yeah, not a Mark Jackson fan.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#29 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:09 am

Box and one - box on Curry, one on the other guys.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#30 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 am

Tweet a bunch of nice things at him at halftime.
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#31 » by aussie_pride » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:12 am

Outside wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:

I didn't like Mark Jackson's color commentating style before he became coach of the Warriors. He was way way too into his catchphrases -- hand down man down, momma there goes that man, that kind of thing. He's not as bad about that as he used to be, but I still don't like him as a color commentator.

As coach of the Warriors, he was horrific on multiple levels. He deserves credit for getting them to play defense and elevating them to a good record, but his offense was stuck in the past, as if they should play the way he did in the 90s.

But even that is minor in comparison to the destruction he sowed on an interpersonal level. He resented his assistant coaches, didn't want them to get any attention or credit because that took the spotlight away from him, and he pitted them against each other. He used lies to pit players against each other -- he told the team that Festus Ezeli, who was injured at the time, wanted them to lose so that Ezeli would look good if they won when he got back; the team confronted Ezeli about it, which he denied, in tears that they would think he would do such a thing. He demanded that all players participate in prayers and other religious aspects. He feuded with management and barred them, including Jerry West, from practice. He was a corrupt manipulator who alienated almost everyone. He flew to LA so that he could give sermons at his church. He's said things that aren't supportive of gays, and the President of the Warriors, Rick Welts, is gay. And all this religious stuff from a guy who had an affair with a prostitute and had to go to the FBI when she blackmailed him with nude photos. Things were so dysfunctional that one assistant started recording everything. Assistant Brian Scalabrine, one of the most likeable guys ever, refused to talk to Jackson and was reassigned to coach the Santa Cruz Warriors.

There's a reason Jackson hasn't gotten another NBA coaching job. Lots of reasons, actually. From a pure coaching standpoint, it's no coincidence that the team improved tremendously the minute that Steve Kerr took over.

So, yeah, not a Mark Jackson fan.

That is a really fascinating post as I didn't know that a lot of this stuff went on. Mind you, I'm not a Warriors fan so I didn't really take that much of an interest in what went on behind the scenes.

I liked Mark Jackson as a player but I don't like him as a commentator. I find it no surprise that he made all players participate in religious rituals as it sort of shows through in a lot of his commentary. My biggest issue with him though is that he makes really over-hypes a lot of players' abilities and is very rarely critical in the same way that Jeff Van Gundy is.

Its funny you mention the catch phrases thing because I completely agree with you. One of the things that has really gets under my skin is when you get all these ex-players and color commentators ruining NBA games with these ridiculous catch phrases that make no sense whatsoever. What is even worse is when you get white commentators/presenters, like Ernie Johnson and Doris Burke, who start acting black with phrases, like "twice on the pipes". It is so unnecessary and fake!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#32 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:28 am

IDK if I give credit to Mark Jackson for defense - I credit Bogut, Iggy and Draymond.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#33 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:27 am

aussie_pride wrote: What is even worse is when you get white commentators/presenters, like Ernie Johnson and Doris Burke, who start acting black with phrases, like "twice on the pipes". It is so unnecessary and fake!

I have no idea what "twice on the pipes" means in this context. But I'm an old white guy. The "twice on the pipes" I know is from Tony Orlando (who is not black).

aussie_pride
Junior

Post#34 » by aussie_pride » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:21 pm

floppymoose wrote:
aussie_pride wrote: What is even worse is when you get white commentators/presenters, like Ernie Johnson and Doris Burke, who start acting black with phrases, like "twice on the pipes". It is so unnecessary and fake!

I have no idea what "twice on the pipes" means in this context. But I'm an old white guy. The "twice on the pipes" I know is from Tony Orlando (who is not black).

Thank you for clarifying that. I had no idea where she got it from or understood what it meant. I don't really think it has any relevance to basketball and is therefore unnecessary along with a lot of the ridiculous phrases that commentators use.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#35 » by floppymoose » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:36 pm

If she is using it as a reference to mean something was denied (perhaps commenting on a block?) then I think it's neato. But then again I'm the target audience and still use words like neato. If only I were more l33t.

It definitely makes more sense than "momma there goes that man".
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#36 » by aussie_pride » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:14 am

floppymoose wrote:If she is using it as a reference to mean something was denied (perhaps commenting on a block?) then I think it's neato. But then again I'm the target audience and still use words like neato. If only I were more l33t.

It definitely makes more sense than "momma there goes that man".

What about when Mark Jackson says "Can I have this dance?" after a player beats someone off the dribble? Surely that is worse! :lol:
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#37 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:34 pm

Senchu wrote:This is easy.
Wait for the playoffs, grab and hold him off the ball.
Watch how fouls are not called.
Profit.

To add to this, try and goad Kerr into playing more off-ball sets with Steph so you can foul him more egregiously and muck up the Warriors offense. Don't waste a bigger defender on Steph. Put the biggest, baddest wing you can on Draymond so they can sag off him as a help defender OR totally nix Draymond's ability to get the ball to Steph. KD did the best job of anyone I've ever seen on Draymond in the 2016 WCF. If not for Klay going supernova and Steph's triple double in game 6 putting the Warriors in the position to let KD and Russ panic in the fourth quarter, we'd have lost that series in large part because of what KD did to Draymond and how that in turn neutered our offense until Steph started hunting more 1v1 opportunities.
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#38 » by aussie_pride » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Senchu wrote:This is easy.
Wait for the playoffs, grab and hold him off the ball.
Watch how fouls are not called.
Profit.

To add to this, try and goad Kerr into playing more off-ball sets with Steph so you can foul him more egregiously and muck up the Warriors offense. Don't waste a bigger defender on Steph. Put the biggest, baddest wing you can on Draymond so they can sag off him as a help defender OR totally nix Draymond's ability to get the ball to Steph. KD did the best job of anyone I've ever seen on Draymond in the 2016 WCF. If not for Klay going supernova and Steph's triple double in game 6 putting the Warriors in the position to let KD and Russ panic in the fourth quarter, we'd have lost that series in large part because of what KD did to Draymond and how that in turn neutered our offense until Steph started hunting more 1v1 opportunities.

One of the problems is that Steph comes off screens so quickly that unless you have a quick defender who can match him then you are going to struggle. Ultimately, I think you need to switch on screens for him so that you can at least get some sort of coverage on him.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,145

Post#39 » by cpower » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:51 am

This is easy just play Wiseman..
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#40 » by shazam_guy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:27 am

aussie_pride wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Thank you for clarifying that. I had no idea where she got it from or understood what it meant. I don't really think it has any relevance to basketball and is therefore unnecessary along with a lot of the ridiculous phrases that commentators use.

"Twice on the pipes" -- if it's about a block or something similar -- probably does refer to the line that follows in the Tony Orlando song: "Twice on the pipes, if the answer is no."

Return to Golden State Warriors