Jordan Poole

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Jordan Poole 

Post#41 » by EvanZ » Mon May 17, 2021 3:57 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Is he good enough to be a trade asset now?

So Wiseman BAD.
and Poole BAD.
and Biyombo AMAZING.

Is that right?

Huh? :crazy:

More like:

LaMelo > Wiseman
Claxton > Poole

As far as Biyombo...I have no idea why you bring him up. I did like Biyombo a decade ago...and hey he's still in the league 10 years later. More than I can say about a lot of guys. I also thought Gobert should have been a top 5 pick the year he was drafted. Why didn't you mention that one?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#42 » by EvanZ » Mon May 17, 2021 4:00 pm

Warriors fans are great though. I remember when Paschall was untouchable.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#43 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:LOL it's funny how as soon as Poole has a few good games he becomes untouchable. Sigh.

Who said that? He just went from a big question to a much smaller question. And it's been more than a few good games.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:35 pm

EvanZ wrote:Warriors fans are great though. I remember when Paschall was untouchable.

I don't think anyone said Paschall was untouchable either.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,091

Post#45 » by The-Power » Mon May 17, 2021 4:36 pm

EvanZ wrote:Huh? :crazy:

More like:

LaMelo > Wiseman
Claxton > Poole

Amazing. Let's revisit a post from July 2020.

EvanZ wrote:So here is a list of guys I had ahead of Poole that were available at our pick (my rank in parentheses):

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • Talen Horton-Tucker (18)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Time will tell, but I think at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=83608764#p83608764

I can already see it. Eventually you'll point to the one guy who might turn out to be better than Poole and was drafted after him and tell us all how the front office made the wrong choice – conveniently leaving out the players who you preferred but would have been worse choices.

Let's spell it out: if it was up to you, we would be stuck with Jontay Porter now. Not to mention that Claxton has definitely not proven yet that he'll end up being better than Poole. Time will tell. Claxton looks good for his age but so does Poole this year. On the other hand, I'm very doubtful already that ‘at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole’.

We all are constantly wrong on prospects. There's no shame in that, I've been wrong on many prospects myself. How you deal with being wrong and being right after the fact is what matters in my mind – and you have a tendency to keep letting people know when you were right (sometimes very prematurely) without being equally willing to acknowledge when you were wrong. No need for that insecurity, we're all just random fans watching these players for fun.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Anything posted after the draft about "who will be better" should be discounted. Declare your singular crush BEFORE the draft and if that player was picked after your team picks AND does better ... then and only then can you crow.

My crush was Thybulle and I thought he might fall to the Warriors but I was so wrong he was gone like 10 picks earlier so I have no grounds to crow for that year as a Warriors fan.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Mon May 17, 2021 5:18 pm

The-Power wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Huh? :crazy:

More like:

LaMelo > Wiseman
Claxton > Poole

Amazing. Let's revisit a post from July 2020.

EvanZ wrote:So here is a list of guys I had ahead of Poole that were available at our pick (my rank in parentheses):

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • Talen Horton-Tucker (18)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Time will tell, but I think at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole.

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=83608764#p83608764

I can already see it. Eventually you'll point to the one guy who might turn out to be better than Poole and was drafted after him and tell us all how the front office made the wrong choice – conveniently leaving out the players who you preferred but would have been worse choices.

Let's spell it out: if it was up to you, we would be stuck with Jontay Porter now. Not to mention that Claxton has definitely not proven yet that he'll end up being better than Poole. Time will tell. Claxton looks good for his age but so does Poole this year. On the other hand, I'm very doubtful already that ‘at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole’.

We all are constantly wrong on prospects. There's no shame in that, I've been wrong on many prospects myself. How you deal with being wrong and being right after the fact is what matters in my mind – and you have a tendency to keep letting people know when you were right (sometimes very prematurely) without being equally willing to acknowledge when you were wrong. No need for that insecurity, we're all just random fans watching these players for fun.

I would never have taken Porter that high, but I would have taken Claxton. Said so on Draft Night:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I think you guys are vastly overrating Poole's usefulness down the line.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#48 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 17, 2021 6:47 pm

LOL.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#49 » by watch1958 » Mon May 17, 2021 9:53 pm

EvanZ wrote:
More like:

LaMelo > Wiseman
Claxton > Poole

Meh. I don't think Claxton is or will be better than Poole.

Actually this isn't even your best argument to poke fun at Warrior fans. What would really drive us crazy is:

Claxton > Wiseman. :o
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#50 » by TB » Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

At this point:

He looks like a really good pick a year after looking like an awful pick.
He looks like a player worth keeping.
He looks like a player that now has positive trade value.

These can all be true. Just because someone likes the idea of keeping a player or thinks they are now worthy of a rotation spot, that doesn't mean they think they are untouchable. Everyone is available outside of Steph and Dray.

And for the record, I spent all year calling Poole awful and the next Jacob Evans. And now I think they may have made a great pick. If I remember correctly, at the time of our pick I would have gone:

Poole pick - I was full on taking Paschall 1st round
Smiley pick - Since I would have taken Paschall already, I wanted Jaylen Nowell (who actually started looking okay this year!)
Paschall pick - I was between Dort and Bone, can't recall who I was leaning towards
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#51 » by FNQ » Wed Jul 7, 2021 6:34 pm

Just want to re-hash this thread for one reason:

Guess who's Curry's *best* pairing was on the team last year?

Jordan Poole: +11.2 (226 min)
Kevon Looney: +10.1 (800 min) -- a lot of this can be attributed to replacing James Wiseman (-9.2; 534 min)
Kent Bazmore: +7.4 (845 min)
JTA: +7.1 (636 min)
Draymond: +6.2 (1740 min)

If you're running a death squad, why not Poole and Curry in the backcourt? :dontknow:
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#52 » by floppymoose » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:21 pm

Curry's best pairing was going to be whatever player's playing time was reverse correlated with Wiseman's.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#53 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:29 pm

Claxton will be an above average backup big, he's a nice player. But it's not like we missed out on Wilt Chamberlain. He was exploited at the defensive end in the playoffs and probably would have played zero minutes if they had any other bigs, while Poole was able to contribute heavy minutes and put in that work in the play-ins.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#54 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:35 pm

All of this second-guessing must be tiring. We've got a draft coming up, so let's stick to first-guessing for now, since hindsight will not be involved yet.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,259

Post#55 » by Onus » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:37 pm

floppymoose wrote:Curry's best pairing was going to be whatever player's playing time was reverse correlated with Wiseman's.

Looney is 2nd!
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#56 » by killmongrel » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:45 pm

Draymond at 5th? Smh. Trade that scrub.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#57 » by floppymoose » Wed Jul 7, 2021 8:55 pm

Slightly different data values but here is another look: https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=2&TeamID=1610612744&CF=GROUP_NAME*R*Curry:MIN*GE*200&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1

I really liked Damion Lee's contributions last season. One of my fav scrubs.

Also, that data indicates that Paschall and Oubre were the Curry neutralizers, and Wiseman was the destroyer of worlds.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#58 » by killmongrel » Wed Jul 7, 2021 9:00 pm

floppymoose wrote:Slightly different data values but here is another look: https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/advanced/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&GroupQuantity=2&TeamID=1610612744&CF=GROUP_NAME*R*Curry:MIN*GE*200&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1

I really liked Damion Lee's contributions last season. One of my fav scrubs.

Also, that data indicates that Paschall and Oubre were the Curry neutralizers, and Wiseman was the destroyer of worlds.
Damion Lee is definitely like an ideal vet minimum 9th man. But let's hope that after this summer, he's like the 12th guy on the pecking order.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#59 » by and1GS » Wed Jul 7, 2021 10:15 pm

If Damion Lee is getting 9th man minutes this team is ****.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#60 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jul 8, 2021 3:54 pm

and1GS wrote:If Damion Lee is getting 9th man minutes this team is ****.

Well, the 9th man often doesn't get on the court in the playoffs, but you need bodies to eat minutes during the rs. Lee can handle that.

Edit: Lee has $500k due to be guaranteed a week from today, with the rest of $1.9M guaranteed on 1/10/22. So he's pretty cheap to keep until then, at least.

Return to Golden State Warriors