ImageImageImageImageImage

Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Jester_
General Manager
Posts: 8,123
And1: 711
Joined: Mar 25, 2011

Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#1 » by Jester_ » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:08 pm

According to net rating we might be.

Since James Wiseman's injury, the Warriors are ranked #1 in net rating. #1 in defensive rating. #4 in offensive rating, going 7-2 in that stretch.

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&LastNGames=9

Narratives! Reactionary takes!
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 353
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#2 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:20 pm

It's great, but a little context would be useful too.

Like, the strength of the opposite teams during this 7-2 stretch.

Curry's otherwordly play. Could it be sustained?

Other player's level of performance. Ditto.

And so on.
User avatar
whatisacenter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,775
And1: 4,825
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#3 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:43 pm

No. This team would be lucky to win a play in game IMO. Looney is not a legit big and starting and finishing small is not a realistic formula. Also in the playoffs teams will allowed to grab, hold and be more physical with Curry when he is off ball.
Warriors Analyst
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,896
And1: 1,841
Joined: May 16, 2005

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#4 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:58 pm

whatisacenter wrote:No. This team would be lucky to win a play in game IMO. Looney is not a legit big and starting and finishing small is not a realistic formula. Also in the playoffs teams will allowed to grab, hold and be more physical with Curry when he is off ball.


Looney has been our best big in the playoffs for two Finals appearances. He just did phenomenal work on Jokic and Embiid in the same week. I don't know what you've been watching if you've concluded he's not a legit big.
SpreeChokeJob
Pro Prospect
Posts: 807
And1: 447
Joined: Jun 30, 2017

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#5 » by SpreeChokeJob » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:00 pm

Not deep enough. Walking on a tightrope. Also concerned with the mileage put on Curry in a non contention season. Kobe went down with injury when he was pushing too hard.
User avatar
Impuniti
Head Coach
Posts: 6,130
And1: 4,577
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#6 » by Impuniti » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:12 pm

Steph looks like he could break down at any point, he's had two ankle scares in the last 2 weeks alone and looks banged up. Dray since Steph has been back has been working his ass off, fighting and giving 100%, so he's probably even more banged up than the Chef is. Looney Tunes is always a harsh breath away from all the straw-like body falling apart.

Lets say the entire team stays fit, and lets say that nobody else gets COVID or is in the protocol for it. I think a solid result would be losing in 6-7 games of the Western Conference semi-finals vs Clippers or Lakers. I think if Steph can maintain 90% of this form, anybody else can get got vs this team. Not saying one team will win either way, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this Warriors team take down anyone else.

This teams lacks several different things, the obvious and quick one is another elite shooter. On top of that, they lack experience outside of 3 guys in the PS. Not a lot of clutch guys unless it's Steph & Dray. Not much depth, not as many high IQ players, and some much needed vets like West, Iggy and Shaun are needed (and what the FO needs to find next summer).
User avatar
whatisacenter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,775
And1: 4,825
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#7 » by whatisacenter » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:19 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:No. This team would be lucky to win a play in game IMO. Looney is not a legit big and starting and finishing small is not a realistic formula. Also in the playoffs teams will allowed to grab, hold and be more physical with Curry when he is off ball.


Looney has been our best big in the playoffs for two Finals appearances. He just did phenomenal work on Jokic and Embiid in the same week. I don't know what you've been watching if you've concluded he's not a legit big.


His physical size.

Yes, the Warriors, Draymond and Looney, did an amazing job on Ebiid and Jokic but I don't believe that would hold up in a 7 game series. This stretch has been nice with some good wins against top teams who were without some of their best players but they also lost to the Wizards and barely beat the Kings without Fox. This team has no rim protection and I believe that if the FO really thought this team was a serious contender then they would have picked up a big instead of GP2.
Old_Blue
Senior
Posts: 588
And1: 149
Joined: Jul 02, 2019
         

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#8 » by Old_Blue » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Poor Wiseman...The further this team goes in the playoffs, the more finger pointing there will be in his direction.
WarriorGM
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,909
And1: 1,887
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#9 » by WarriorGM » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 pm

I have been critical of the front office for leaving Curry with such a miserable team for a reason. Same reason I've considered the preoccupation with tanking and draft picks odious.

Stephen Curry is the greatest player in basketball. He always gives you a chance. We are seeing him take the worst team in the league last year that was further weighed down by the worst player who has gotten significant minutes in the past few seasons to the cusp of a playoffs berth and a .500 season. It should be obvious that he is capable of making even an average team a contender. Indeed we may need to look back at that 2015 team and evaluate just how much better than average it really was without Steph. It's possible he has already taken an average team to a championship.

The lack of faith shown in Curry has been disgraceful. That's why anything less than saying Curry is the best player in the league has me up in arms. This year could have been a strong contending year even without Klay, but because so few thought of Curry in the proper light, that opportunity looks likely to be squandered.
HiRez
RealGM
Posts: 10,057
And1: 2,179
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#10 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:02 pm

No, they are not contenders, not even close. They've done well considering the Klay injury, but I don't see any way they make it through 4 playoff series (and probably another play-in game or two) to the end. Not even if Steph is averaging 30+ ppg.

For one thing we still make too make bonehead plays like turnovers, missed layups and freethrows, and stepping out of bounds (I swear to god I have never seen another team commit so many of these). We're #23/30 in turnover % and #25/30 in opponent points off turnovers. Those little things just kill you in the playoffs, you can't afford to give away a game from an unforced error.

And we still have major problems with large frontline players, they will wear us down over a series and the fouls will pile up fast, which kills our whole flow.

Even with a healthy Klay, I think it's iffy. He'd help, obviously, but he doesn't solve all the problems.
User avatar
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
Posts: 34,123
And1: 1,342
Joined: Jun 28, 2005

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#11 » by Sleepy51 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:22 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Poor Wiseman...The further this team goes in the playoffs, the more finger pointing there will be in his direction.


That’s going to be strictly a fan/Press gaggle phenomenon. NBA professionals outside of the Ws had reasonable expectations for a 19 year old big man. I don’t live local so I consume a lot of National NBA content and there were a lot of eyebrows raised at how he has been handled this year. His stock will be down coming off injury but around the league this is being viewed as a mishandled year and a Warriors problem, not a Wiseman problem. A number of GMs around the league are eager to see us pull the plug.
rcfc1 wrote:Do you even law, bro?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
Posts: 12,164
And1: 2,391
Joined: May 28, 2004

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#12 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 pm

No. But let's put it this way. There is definitely a scenario where the Warriors get a little lucky with Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Utah taking each other out or having injury or chemistry issues.

But there is no way Warriors would beat a healthy Nets, Bucks...hell...even Knicks. Just too small.

You add a healthy Klay....definitely...but Warriors have shown zero ability this year to execute down the stretch in close games....and that's what Playoffs are all about.
Looking forward to 2073....bye bye pouting moody Durant...hello again the 73 win style of hoops!
User avatar
Impuniti
Head Coach
Posts: 6,130
And1: 4,577
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#13 » by Impuniti » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:35 am

ILOVEIT wrote:No. But let's put it this way. There is definitely a scenario where the Warriors get a little lucky with Lakers, Clippers, Denver, Utah taking each other out or having injury or chemistry issues.

But there is no way Warriors would beat a healthy Nets, Bucks...hell...even Knicks. Just too small.

You add a healthy Klay....definitely...but Warriors have shown zero ability this year to execute down the stretch in close games....and that's what Playoffs are all about.

Image

Just stop it. In some magical scenario where the Warriors would make the final, it sure as **** wouldn't be against the Knicks. And vs a healthy Warriors team, Knicks would get diced.
Money_
Pro Prospect
Posts: 803
And1: 156
Joined: Dec 02, 2014
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#14 » by Money_ » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:03 am

It's more about the absence of big men (cept Loon) in general, and how they've been forced to play small, than has to do with JDub.

This team goes as far as Curry takes them. Does he have a 7 game first round in him after a play in tournament? Hope we get to watch it!
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 48,573
And1: 55,484
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:25 am

no, obviously we are not contenders

but anyone who still thinks Wiseman is a good fit here is foolin themselves.
#BLM #FREEPALESTINE
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Junior
Posts: 400
And1: 353
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#16 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:49 am

Activating reverse Uno card...

Image
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,644
And1: 1,788
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#17 » by Onus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:11 am

If we get the 8th seed, I can see us beating Utah. If Denver can beat the Lakers I can see us beating Denver, I don't think we can beat a healthy Lakers. I think we can beat the Clippers. I'm not sure about the Suns. So out of the top 4 teams in the west we can possibly beat 2 of them. That's not too bad. Out of the east I don't think we beat the Nets. The Bucks would be tough, but we could beat the Sixers. So 1 out of the 3 in the top of the East. We have a chance if everything breaks for us but highly unlikely
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,644
And1: 1,788
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#18 » by Onus » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:13 am

WarriorGM wrote:I have been critical of the front office for leaving Curry with such a miserable team for a reason. Same reason I've considered the preoccupation with tanking and draft picks odious.

Stephen Curry is the greatest player in basketball. He always gives you a chance. We are seeing him take the worst team in the league last year that was further weighed down by the worst player who has gotten significant minutes in the past few seasons to the cusp of a playoffs berth and a .500 season. It should be obvious that he is capable of making even an average team a contender. Indeed we may need to look back at that 2015 team and evaluate just how much better than average it really was without Steph. It's possible he has already taken an average team to a championship.

The lack of faith shown in Curry has been disgraceful. That's why anything less than saying Curry is the best player in the league has me up in arms. This year could have been a strong contending year even without Klay, but because so few thought of Curry in the proper light, that opportunity looks likely to be squandered.

I agree 2015 wasn't a highly talented team at all.

But aren't you showing a lack of faith in Curry by counting him out this year?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
michaelm
Head Coach
Posts: 7,138
And1: 3,039
Joined: Apr 06, 2010
 

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#19 » by michaelm » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:02 am

WarriorGM wrote:I have been critical of the front office for leaving Curry with such a miserable team for a reason. Same reason I've considered the preoccupation with tanking and draft picks odious.

Stephen Curry is the greatest player in basketball. He always gives you a chance. We are seeing him take the worst team in the league last year that was further weighed down by the worst player who has gotten significant minutes in the past few seasons to the cusp of a playoffs berth and a .500 season. It should be obvious that he is capable of making even an average team a contender. Indeed we may need to look back at that 2015 team and evaluate just how much better than average it really was without Steph. It's possible he has already taken an average team to a championship.

The lack of faith shown in Curry has been disgraceful. That's why anything less than saying Curry is the best player in the league has me up in arms. This year could have been a strong contending year even without Klay, but because so few thought of Curry in the proper light, that opportunity looks likely to be squandered.

You do have a point that wasting a year of Curry’s prime is just that, wasteful. You have never come up with a name or names who would have made them contenders next to Curry who was/were gettable given salary cap constraints and Thompson’s salary sitting on the bench though.
Mob Byers
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 1
Joined: Apr 22, 2021
   

Re: Are the non-Wiseman Warriors contenders? 

Post#20 » by Mob Byers » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:06 am

Seemed like his minutes were going up and we kept losing. Oubre out and to the bench has helped too. Just more fluid overall without an inexperienced 19 yo out there. Not exactly surprising or concerning IMO

Return to Golden State Warriors