ImageImageImageImageImage

Curry...my favorite player of all time...is not very clutch

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Is Curry a top clutch level player?

Yes - Curry is as clutch as any of the top super stars in the league
87%
No - I would rather have CP3, Irving, Damion and others have the ball with the last second shot to win or lose. He's still the best!
13%

Total votes: 23

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Re: Curry...my favorite player of all time...is not very clutch 

Post#21 » by ILOVEIT » Wed May 5, 2021 5:37 pm

HiRez wrote:Yeah, not clutch. And no foul on the last shot even though he got trucked.

Two to make 1? He had an open shot which he missed then miraculously got it back and made the second. Amazing shot! Warriors are lucky to have one of the best players in NBA history. But if Speights doesn't run that down and give him a second shot....Warriors lose that game.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#22 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:58 pm

Since 96/97, as of last season

Regular season eFG% in the clutch (minimum 500 FGA)
1 O'Neal
2 Nash
3 Curry
4 Allen
5 Bosh
6 James
7 Marion
8 Terry
9 Parker
10 Ginobili

Playoff eFG% in the clutch (minimum 100 FGA)
1 O'Neal
2 Nash
3 Curry
4 Wade
5 Garnett
6 Miller
7 Harden
8 James
9 Malone
10 Parker

When Curry gets triple teamed and misses a shot he's a choker that can't pass or shake the defense. When LeBron misses a step back three in single coverage it was "a good look that he'll knock down next time."

Curry's shots just look bad because of the degree of difficulty.

Some outdated game winning shot data, if that's how you want to judge a player:

https://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#23 » by TB » Wed May 5, 2021 7:21 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Since 96/97, as of last season

Like i've always said.... if the games on the line, get the ball into the hands of Flip Murray or Travis Outlaw. 8-)
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#24 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed May 5, 2021 7:57 pm

This is one of the most inaccurate edgy pet narratives I've ever seen. He can't possibly hold onto this much longer?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#25 » by a8bil » Tue May 11, 2021 5:42 am

TB wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Since 96/97, as of last season

Like i've always said.... if the games on the line, get the ball into the hands of Flip Murray or Travis Outlaw. 8-)
Don't be sitting on David Lee...
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#26 » by ILOVEIT » Tue May 11, 2021 5:44 am

LOL...so :)

I saw on Youtube title "Curry makes 3 point shot to win the game". So I thought..."Nice...I'm going to come on and update the thread with an example of his clutch shooting".

NOTE: When I can't see the game live on television I watch the highlights on Youtube by quarter.

Ahem....then I see he missed the first attempt at game winner....then got it back and made the second. So I thought...damn...sort of not clutch and Warriors lose if they don't get that rebound. But okay. Then I checked his last 5 possessions :(

Curry miss floating layup
Curry miss 3 point shot
Curry bad pass - turnover
Curry miss 3 point shot (the first attempt at a go ahead shot to win or lose the game).
Looney get's rebound, and Curry sinks that shot.
CREDIT that he hit the last two FT to ice the game.

Anyway...what I had hoped would be a PLUS example of clutchness really showed a sloppy messy attempt of Curry to close out the game and hit the winning shot (first).

I guess my underlying worry is that Warriors are going to be in the playin....against Lakers or other team...and this weird inability to calmly ice the game is going to give us all a crappy ending to the season.

If, on the other hand, Curry comes up big and is clutch against the Lakers (doesn't have to win...just has to come up big and not "blow it down the stretch"), then I be the first to eat my words.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#27 » by ILOVEIT » Tue May 11, 2021 5:48 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:This is one of the most inaccurate edgy pet narratives I've ever seen. He can't possibly hold onto this much longer?

Not holding onto anything....I just don't like it when fans refused to look at the performance honestly. The topic isn't 'how amazing Curry is' (which he is). It's is he an above average clutch performer in the closing possessions of games. I don't think he is.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,039

Post#28 » by Jester_ » Tue May 11, 2021 12:26 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:This is one of the most inaccurate edgy pet narratives I've ever seen. He can't possibly hold onto this much longer?

Not holding onto anything....I just don't like it when fans refused to look at the performance honestly. The topic isn't 'how amazing Curry is' (which he is). It's is he an above average clutch performer in the closing possessions of games. I don't think he is.

http://www.82games.com/2021/CSORT11.HTM

This isn't an opinion thing. You're just flat out wrong by any measure.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,175

Post#29 » by Impuniti » Tue May 11, 2021 12:31 pm

If you want clutch, look at WCF vs the Blazers. I think the Warriors led the entire series for 10-15% of the time, yet they won 4-0. The last 5 minutes of each game is the example of how to run a perfect offense. That second Pels game and a few other games Curry has been mediocre or poor in the 4th, but it makes up for the many many other positive examples.

Steph in 15-16 was something else.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Tue May 11, 2021 1:36 pm

Lulz
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#31 » by Onus » Tue May 11, 2021 1:44 pm

Imagine a world a warriors fan still not having faith in Curry in 2021. The world is truly a different place
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#32 » by a8bil » Tue May 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Jester_ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:

http://www.82games.com/2021/CSORT11.HTM

This isn't an opinion thing. You're just flat out wrong by any measure.
Those are ridiculously impressive stats. .457% from 3 during crunch time on 14/36 attempts? SGA very impressive as well...he's racking up FT at an astounding rate.

Return to Golden State Warriors