ImageImageImageImageImage

What players should the Warriors go after next season

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: What players should the Warriors go after next season 

Post#81 » by and1GS » Tue May 25, 2021 8:18 pm

I love Delon Wright, great call. Huge PG at 6'5", good defender, nice floor spacer and a playmaker.

I'd assume Sacramento would be taking a sledgehammer to their roster this offseason so assume everyone is available. The contract is manageable as well at 9m. The salary jenga is really tough. Sign and trade with Oubre would work. Straight TPE deal from Oubre leaving works as well. Looney and our pick actualized into a salary (would be about a $4m deal) would do it too.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#82 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue May 25, 2021 9:31 pm

and1GS wrote:I love Delon Wright, great call. Huge PG at 6'5", good defender, nice floor spacer and a playmaker.

I'd assume Sacramento would be taking a sledgehammer to their roster this offseason so assume everyone is available. The contract is manageable as well at 9m. The salary jenga is really tough. Sign and trade with Oubre would work. Straight TPE deal from Oubre leaving works as well. Looney and our pick actualized into a salary (would be about a $4m deal) would do it too.

Yeah it was really strange that Sac traded for him since they now have 4 point guards and 3 shooting guards on their roster. Delon would be a great fit and was doing well for the Pistons while Killian Hayes was out. His brother is also a broadcaster for the Warriors so I'm sure Dorrell would be ecstatic if we traded for him as well.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#83 » by ChuckDurn » Tue May 25, 2021 9:58 pm

and1GS wrote:I love Delon Wright, great call. Huge PG at 6'5", good defender, nice floor spacer and a playmaker.

I suspect Wright isn’t as available as people would think. The “glut” of guards Sacramento has is deceptive, as the only proven NBA guys are Fox, Haliburton, Hield, and Wright...... Terence Davis is an RFA and may not be particularly valued, and Jahmius Ramsey needs more development time (probably in the G-League).

Both Wright and Haliburton can play either the 1 or the 2 positions, so they can make any combination of guards work. And Wright is by far the best defensive player amongst the 4 proven guys (though Haliburton has great potential to improve) - and with the Kings finishing dead last in defense, I doubt he’d be a guy they would look to move on from. There’s not a huge coincidence in my mind that the Kings played a lot better after acquiring Wright and Harkless, both of whom provided a little more defense on the team.

I do agree that Sacramento might shake things up quite a bit, but my expectation is that it would be more in the front court than the backcourt, or if they trade a backcourt player, it would be Hield.

And as a note, Oubre would have to agree to go to Sacramento. As a free agent, we can only sign-and-trade him somewhere that he wants to go - otherwise he simply doesn’t sign the contract. (In other words, he would have to negotiate a deal with the other team, and then the Warriors would work with that team to make it a sign-and-trade rather than a pure signing.) With Sacramento having a relative void at the SF position (Barnes is absolutely more of a PF in today’s game), that actually might be one of the few places that would be interested in getting Oubre, despite his disappointing season.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#84 » by watch1958 » Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:

I suspect Wright isn’t as available as people would think. The “glut” of guards Sacramento has is deceptive, as the only proven NBA guys are Fox, Haliburton, Hield, and Wright...... Terence Davis is an RFA and may not be particularly valued, and Jahmius Ramsey needs more development time (probably in the G-League).

Both Wright and Haliburton can play either the 1 or the 2 positions, so they can make any combination of guards work. And Wright is by far the best defensive player amongst the 4 proven guys (though Haliburton has great potential to improve) - and with the Kings finishing dead last in defense, I doubt he’d be a guy they would look to move on from. There’s not a huge coincidence in my mind that the Kings played a lot better after acquiring Wright and Harkless, both of whom provided a little more defense on the team.

I do agree that Sacramento might shake things up quite a bit, but my expectation is that it would be more in the front court than the backcourt, or if they trade a backcourt player, it would be Hield.

And as a note, Oubre would have to agree to go to Sacramento. As a free agent, we can only sign-and-trade him somewhere that he wants to go - otherwise he simply doesn’t sign the contract. (In other words, he would have to negotiate a deal with the other team, and then the Warriors would work with that team to make it a sign-and-trade rather than a pure signing.) With Sacramento having a relative void at the SF position (Barnes is absolutely more of a PF in today’s game), that actually might be one of the few places that would be interested in getting Oubre, despite his disappointing season.
You are right, Wright isn't easily available, or someone they are looking to dump. I do think though that a creative deal with some other parts could pry him away without overpaying.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#85 » by and1GS » Wed May 26, 2021 5:12 am

watch1958 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

You are right, Wright isn't easily available, or someone they are looking to dump. I do think though that a creative deal with some other parts could pry him away without overpaying.
And you can't really deal more than a second (plus contracts adding to his deal) for him given he's on an expiring. I agree it's a pipedream, but the Kings are spiraling so I wouldn't be surprised if they do something crazy.

My take would be they use Delon as a way to dump Hield, who has 3 more years mostly over $20M. We simply don't have the contracts to get too creative. It's a weird position to be in. Top heavy but needing to make moves.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,898

Post#86 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 26, 2021 6:15 am

if Dallas keeps it up...
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#87 » by ChuckDurn » Wed May 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Simple answer to the question that’s the title of the thread:

Split the MLE between Nicolas Batum and Frank Kaminsky.

Offer Batum a 3-year deal for $17M total...... around $5.5M for the first year, and the third year would be a team option.
Offer Kaminsky a similar 2+1 deal for about $13M total, starting at about $4M next year.

Both can shoot, don’t need the ball, and would work extremely well with our offense. They give great depth at the big man positions (Batum probably doesn’t have the quickness to guard most 3’s anymore, but is crafty and can play 4 or even some small-ball 5.) Batum also is fabulous in being able to be a secondary ball-handler, passer, and creator.

Bring over Jessup for shooting, at least on a 2-way.

We’d still need to add one more shot creator...... I’d try to target that either directly in the draft, or by trading one of the picks for a proven guy. (Though not quite sure how to match salary if the person they’d bring back makes decent money.....)

Core pieces of the team would be:
Guards: Curry / Klay / Poole
Wings / Combo Forwards: Wiggins / Batum / JTA / Jessup
Bigs: Green / Wiseman / Looney / Kaminsky

Lots of shooting there, with the exceptions of Draymond and Looney, and good balance of guys who should be able to play with each other.

And a small-ball line-up with Draymond / Batum / Wiggins / Klay / Curry would seem really solid and pretty deadly......
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,149

Post#88 » by TB » Wed May 26, 2021 5:31 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:Simple answer to the question that’s the title of the thread:

Offer Batum a 3-year deal for $17M total...... around $5.5M for the first year, and the third year would be a team option.
Offer Kaminsky a similar 2+1 deal for about $13M total, starting at about $4M next year.

Both can shoot, don’t need the ball, and would work extremely well with our offense. They give great depth at the big man positions (Batum probably doesn’t have the quickness to guard most 3’s anymore, but is crafty and can play 4 or even some small-ball 5.) Batum also is fabulous in being able to be a secondary ball-handler, passer, and creator.

We’d still need to add one more shot creator...... I’d try to target that either directly in the draft, or by trading one of the picks for a proven guy. (Though not quite sure how to match salary if the person they’d bring back makes decent money.....)

Lots of shooting there, with the exceptions of Draymond and Looney, and good balance of guys who should be able to play with each other.

And a small-ball line-up with Draymond / Batum / Wiggins / Klay / Curry would seem really solid and pretty deadly......

Wouldn't we only have the tax payer MLE which is around 5-6 million and not the 9-10 million that it would take to sign Batum and Kaminsky to those deals?
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by ChuckDurn » Wed May 26, 2021 5:48 pm

TB wrote:

Wouldn't we only have the tax payer MLE which is around 5-6 million and not the 9-10 million that it would take to sign Batum and Kaminsky to those deals?

Crap...... you’re right. My CBA knowledge of the exceptions has waned a bit, and I made a mistake.

The total taxpayer MLE is $5.89M. Doubtful we could get both of them for that, but I’d at least try. And if it came down to it, I’d prioritize Batum over Kaminsky. I think he’d be a flawless fit on the Warriors, and there seemed to be a lot of smoke about the Warriors and he having mutual interest in joining forces. My guess is that when Myers made a comment a couple of days ago about “guys who said they’d have signed with the Warriors if Klay hadn’t gotten hurt”, that Batum was absolutely one of them.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,149

Post#90 » by TB » Wed May 26, 2021 6:04 pm

^ yup, agree with that completely about Batum. Both in terms of him being a great fit for the MLE as well as him definitely being one of the players Myers was mentioning.

I think he may get more than MLE, but he's at top of my list...

Batum, McDermott, Bullock, Snell.... i'd just keep going down the list until we land the best possible rotation player.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#91 » by marthafokker » Wed May 26, 2021 6:45 pm

TB wrote:^ yup, agree with that completely about Batum. Both in terms of him being a great fit for the MLE as well as him definitely being one of the players Myers was mentioning.

Batum, McDermott, Bullock, Snell.... i'd just keep going down the list until we land the best possible rotation player.

Myers will anti that with another round of players like Bazemore and Wanamaker.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#92 » by ChuckDurn » Wed May 26, 2021 11:56 pm

marthafokker wrote:
TB wrote:^ yup, agree with that completely about Batum. Both in terms of him being a great fit for the MLE as well as him definitely being one of the players Myers was mentioning.

Actually, Bazemore being the 4th or 5th guard in the rotation, getting 10 minutes a night, would be pretty ideal. Our problem is that he was our starting 2, and put into positions where he had to do way more than he’s capable of.

He’s a highly-productive minimum-salary veteran who knows our system. But a minimum-salary guy shouldn’t be starting.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#93 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:04 am

2 things, the TPMLE is not that big, and Batum and Kaminsky would have to WANT to play for the Warriors.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:04 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
marthafokker wrote:

Actually, Bazemore being the 4th or 5th guard in the rotation, getting 10 minutes a night, would be pretty ideal. Our problem is that he was our starting 2, and put into positions where he had to do way more than he’s capable of.

He’s a highly-productive minimum-salary veteran who knows our system. But a minimum-salary guy shouldn’t be starting.

Agreed
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by ChuckDurn » Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 am

Scoots1994 wrote:

2 things, the TPMLE is not that big, and Batum and Kaminsky would have to WANT to play for the Warriors.

My subsequent post addressed both of these.......
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 3:36 am

ChuckDurn wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

My subsequent post addressed both of these.......

I read it, how did it address Batum not wanting to be a Warrior?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#97 » by marthafokker » Thu May 27, 2021 3:56 am

Wasn't guys like Gasol and Batum eyeing GSW until Klay injury?
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Sam Lowry Jr
Bench Warmer
And1: 281

Post#98 » by Sam Lowry Jr » Thu May 27, 2021 4:58 am

marthafokker wrote:Wasn't guys like Gasol and Batum eyeing GSW until Klay injury?

The Warriors were in the mix for Gasol, Batum and Avery Bradley, but ended up with Wannamaker and Bazemore after the Klay injury.

It would have been nice had the Warriors made the playoffs this year to show potential FAs they could be a contender next year (think Iguodala in 2013 Nuggets vs. Warriors), but they might have done enough with their run at the end of the year. Also Steph, Klay and Dray are slightly more of a proven commodity than they were in 2013.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Scoots1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:31 pm

marthafokker wrote:Wasn't guys like Gasol and Batum eyeing GSW until Klay injury?

Wasn't that based on media speculation with nothing from the players though?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#100 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:10 pm

I definitely hope we can somehow bring in Josh Hart.

Chandler Hutchinson should be getable too.

Return to Golden State Warriors