2021 Draft Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,911

Re: 2021 Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:this guy is growing on me. 18yo with great footwork, handle, court vision and passing skills while playing against grown ass men.

6’10” wingspan is concerning, if accurate. He’s going to struggle to be a defensive presence if that’s real, and that could be a big problem. He doesn’t have outstanding athleticism that could compensate for it. I’d really want to understand if that’s right or not.

He looks like he’s got good moves, awareness, and decent (not great) agility on offense. But having watched the first 5-6 minutes of the video, his opponents don’t have anywhere near the athleticism and quickness that he’ll face in the NBA. He may have a lot of potential, but he’s going to need time - and a lot of it - to work on his own athleticism and to adapt to the speed and intensity of the NBA game.

he reminds me a little bit of Jokic and my concerns are his perimeter defense just like his. The way he dunks without getting off the ground makes me think his wingspan is more than 6'10".
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#62 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 24, 2021 4:50 pm

How do you guys feel about Franz Wagner? I see him in the ranked in the 10-15 range but I am underwhelmed by him. His defense is what he is praised for but I worry that won't translate to the NBA. Am I missing something?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#63 » by Onus » Mon May 24, 2021 5:16 pm

whatisacenter wrote:How do you guys feel about Franz Wagner? I see him in the ranked in the 10-15 range but I am underwhelmed by him. His defense is what he is praised for but I worry that won't translate to the NBA. Am I missing something?

He’s just a solid but unspectacular player. His shooting will probably be better than it showed in college. He can make some plays and dribble going right.

Will he be an all defense type of player, I doubt it but he’ll be an above average to good defender, he has the length and iq to make plays on that end.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#64 » by killmongrel » Mon May 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Is there a player in the draft outside of the top 4 that would be a good replacement for Klay until he gets healthy?
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#65 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 24, 2021 10:24 pm

killmongrel wrote:Is there a player in the draft outside of the top 4 that would be a good replacement for Klay until he gets healthy?

no rookie will be able to replace Klay but I like Moody
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#66 » by killmongrel » Mon May 24, 2021 11:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Is there a player in the draft outside of the top 4 that would be a good replacement for Klay until he gets healthy?

no rookie will be able to replace Klay but I like Moody
I like him as well. 6'6" guard who can contribute now. I have a feeling the FO knows that it's either the draft or the MLE to replace Klay/Oubre for the meantime. GS needs a starter badly.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#67 » by TB » Wed May 26, 2021 7:47 pm

Probably better comparisons out there, but watching Moody's game reminded me of Cuttino Mobley.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#68 » by The-Power » Wed May 26, 2021 8:36 pm

No Rookie can fill those shoes. You're better off playing Jessup if you want shooting, and you're better off playing a vet min guy if you want NBA-level defense on Guards with somewhat consistent shooting. Poole is probably also going to be better next season than anyone we can draft and he can fill Klay's role to some extent (even though he's more of a shot creator than shooter, and not as solid defending on the ball).
The-Power
General Manager

Post#69 » by The-Power » Wed May 26, 2021 8:43 pm

Onus wrote:We absolutely can not add Barnes to the roster as long as we have draymond on the team

Not to mention that JTA is also doing a lot of what Barnes would do for us in an ideal scenario. I like Barnes, but I don't think the current Warriors are a great fit for him and I also don't think his long-term potential is that great to roll the dice with him anyways. Of course, if he's available at #14 you might just have to take him but with the Minnesota pick – if it conveys – I wouldn't draft him.

Bob Myers noted that we need offense more than defense, and he also indicated that after the top guys are gone, the Warriors will look at lot harder at what a player can do right away. I would therefore be somewhat surprised if we come out with Barnes from this draft but who knows, hard to predict in what direction the Warriors will go and if they will even use the pick(s) for themselves.
Onus
RealGM

Post#70 » by Onus » Wed May 26, 2021 9:12 pm

The-Power wrote:
Onus wrote:We absolutely can not add Barnes to the roster as long as we have draymond on the team

Not to mention that JTA is also doing a lot of what Barnes would do for us in an ideal scenario. I like Barnes, but I don't think the current Warriors are a great fit for him and I also don't think his long-term potential is that great to roll the dice with him anyways. Of course, if he's available at #14 you might just have to take him but with the Minnesota pick – if it conveys – I wouldn't draft him.

Bob Myers noted that we need offense more than defense, and he also indicated that after the top guys are gone, the Warriors will look at lot harder at what a player can do right away. I would therefore be somewhat surprised if we come out with Barnes from this draft but who knows, hard to predict in what direction the Warriors will go and if they will even use the pick(s) for themselves.

Yea with the Minnesota pick it has be someone that can put the ball in the basket, if we have Draymond on the team already. I just don't know who I would want at 6-8? Sengun is probably the best scorer but can we really draft another center who might not be able to play defense? Moses is ok but at 6 would feel a bit underwhelming, maybe he can turn into Booker long term, but he can fill a role right away. Maybe it's Giddey, seems like he would fit in really well since the 2nd team needs someone who can move the ball.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#71 » by Scoots1994 » Wed May 26, 2021 9:17 pm

The-Power wrote:

Some think Barnes has the most potential outside the top 5, and the Wolves pick could be #9 where the value of Barnes will be higher.

I'm still hoping for #1 and #4 :)
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#72 » by killmongrel » Wed May 26, 2021 9:18 pm

The-Power wrote:

No Rookie can fill those shoes. You're better off playing Jessup if you want shooting, and you're better off playing a vet min guy if you want NBA-level defense on Guards with somewhat consistent shooting. Poole is probably also going to be better next season than anyone we can draft and he can fill Klay's role to some extent (even though he's more of a shot creator than shooter, and not as solid defending on the ball).

The reason I ask is because it makes it clear what the options then are for somebody like Myers. He has to get a starter via the MLE or make a big trade. As much as I like Poole, he cannot be the starter. So we are gonna have to get a significant vet somehow.
Onus
RealGM

Post#73 » by Onus » Wed May 26, 2021 9:21 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Some think Barnes has the most potential outside the top 5, and the Wolves pick could be #9 where the value of Barnes will be higher.

I'm still hoping for #1 and #4 :)

Best case scenario for Barnes is what that he's Ben Simmons or Draymond Green? Do we really want to play with 2 non scoring threats for the majority of the game? I guess we'll be marginally better on defense but it really doesn't solve our issue with scoring or taking pressure off of Steph.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#74 » by killmongrel » Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Some people keep saying Barnes, but he's the exact type of player that will get some whiny Warriors fans crying about his lack of shooting early in the year. Yeah, no thanks.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#75 » by The-Power » Wed May 26, 2021 9:46 pm

killmongrel wrote:The reason I ask is because it makes it clear what the options then are for somebody like Myers. He has to get a starter via the MLE or make a big trade. As much as I like Poole, he cannot be the starter. So we are gonna have to get a significant vet somehow.

I don't think the Warriors are trading for a starter to replace Klay until he comes back because Klay will obviously start once he comes back and the Warriors expect him to be back not too long into the new season. So someone like Bazemore, Poole or Oubre – to just give a few names from the current team – are probably enough to fill in as short-term starters.

Onus wrote:Yea with the Minnesota pick it has be someone that can put the ball in the basket, if we have Draymond on the team already. I just don't know who I would want at 6-8? Sengun is probably the best scorer but can we really draft another center who might not be able to play defense? Moses is ok but at 6 would feel a bit underwhelming, maybe he can turn into Booker long term, but he can fill a role right away. Maybe it's Giddey, seems like he would fit in really well since the 2nd team needs someone who can move the ball.

I don't really like being in that 6-8 in this year's draft. Moody is kind of the obvious but boring choice if we want to have a young Rookie with some upside at a position we need who could contribute a bit next season. Can't say I'd be excited about Moody, though. There are some options out there for us in that range but probably all of them would feel like they were picked a bit too high.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#76 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 26, 2021 10:03 pm

killmongrel wrote:Some people keep saying Barnes, but he's the exact type of player that will get some whiny Warriors fans crying about his lack of shooting early in the year. Yeah, no thanks.

Yeah, his shooting is a major concern but IF he can get his percentages up he will be a monster in the NBA. He has elite size and athleticism, he is a playmaker with a good handle, plays great man and team defense and finally the guy has an insane motor.
Onus
RealGM

Post#77 » by Onus » Wed May 26, 2021 10:10 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Some people keep saying Barnes, but he's the exact type of player that will get some whiny Warriors fans crying about his lack of shooting early in the year. Yeah, no thanks.

Yeah, his shooting is a major concern but IF he can get his percentages up he will be a monster in the NBA. He has elite size and athleticism, he is a playmaker with a good handle, plays great man and team defense and finally the guy has an insane motor.

I kind of like garuba better. Provides rebounding and shot blocking with the versatile defense. Can make some passes. Can’t handle the ball as well as Barnes but I wouldn’t want Barnes as a primary playmaker anyway.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#78 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 26, 2021 10:23 pm

Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I kind of like garuba better. Provides rebounding and shot blocking with the versatile defense. Can make some passes. Can’t handle the ball as well as Barnes but I wouldn’t want Barnes as a primary playmaker anyway.

I like Garuba too but he looks like a 4/5 to me and Barnes is more of a wing who can guard 1-5.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#79 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:34 pm

Holy ****, Sengun is amazing.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,386

Post#80 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:35 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

100% agreed.

I like Barnes' role, as a rookie, like Iguodala's. Come from the bench, glue guy.

Return to Golden State Warriors