Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,668

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#101 » by WarriorGM » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:23 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:Last year the Warriors win 15 games. This year they win 39. What coaching changes did Kerr implement that resulted in the change? The only thing I can think of is he got out of Curry's way and stopped weighing him down with players that don't play well with him.

Seriously? You're comparing last year when Curry played 5 games with this year when he played 63 games? Yeah, it must be because of coaching changes and that Kerr got out of Curry's way. What else could it possibly be?

He means he LITERALLY got out of his way. Last year Kerr is the one who tripped Curry by not getting out of his way, they just lied that it was a game injury.

Stop being dim. The 15-win team was composed of rookies and journeymen but it also indicated there was nothing particularly special about Kerr's coaching. The 39-win team following still composed mainly of G-Leaguers and journeymen showed that Curry is the difference. The coaching changes that made the most difference were the ones that either amplified or hindered Curry's play. Benching Wiseman was probably the most effective coaching move and let's face it Kerr wasn't even responsible for that, the injury was.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#102 » by shazam_guy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 pm

Aren't you the same guy who said we weren't worshipping Curry hard enough? What exactly is your point -- that Kerr needs to play Curry more? Or that we need to find several hundred million dollars somewhere so we can ignore the luxury tax and sign a bunch of superstars to make sure Steph knows we worship him? Or are you suggesting that the team will get magically better without Kerr? Please, enlighten us.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#103 » by michaelm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:35 am

GunnerWRX wrote:Kerr unleashed Curry and we got 3 rings. However, his system never got anything going when Steph is on the bench. We are talking about a team with KD, Klay, Draymond, prime Iguodala, Livingston etc etc with many solid vets.

Only in 1 season did he manage to get a positive net rating with Steph off court over the 5 year run, and it was at +0.1 only.

I mean, how is that even possible with KD (3 of 5 seasons) and Klay?

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1516/1516GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1617/1617GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1718/1718GSW.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1819/1819GSW.HTM

I give him credit for getting this season's team to be a top-5 defensive team.

However, I think Kerr is only good for until Steph retires.

Probably a good idea to optimise the playing scheme for the starters rather than the bench, and it is hard to play one scheme based on Curry who is such a unique player and play a totally different scheme for the bench, as with most of LeBron’s teams.

Hard to argue with results for the 4 years which encompassed the 3 titles anyway, the most wins ever over such a period iirc.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#104 » by WarriorGM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:51 am

shazam_guy wrote:Aren't you the same guy who said we weren't worshipping Curry hard enough? What exactly is your point -- that Kerr needs to play Curry more? Or that we need to find several hundred million dollars somewhere so we can ignore the luxury tax and sign a bunch of superstars to make sure Steph knows we worship him? Or are you suggesting that the team will get magically better without Kerr? Please, enlighten us.

My impression with Kerr is that he is more concerned with Curry's limitations than his potential. It was observed in one article in 2016 that at the rate Curry was going back then that an offense based solely on him could theoretically achieve the highest offensive rating in history. I don't think that has really be put to the test even this year. Unless there are things going on behind the scenes we aren't aware of I haven't gotten the impression that Kerr has pushed the envelope with Curry.

There's that story of Larry Bird saying one day he'll just beat the opposing team with his left hand—and he went out and did it. Curry conceivably could do something even more audacious. Maybe he could beat a team exclusively doing pull-up jump shots from half court? There may be coaches who value experimentation that might be willing to put that to the test but one gets the feeling Kerr isn't one of them considering how quickly he pulls Curry from games when he's been on a hot streak and on course for breaking records. There is room for a coach and an organization who believes in Curry's special abilities to be more creative and get more out of him.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#105 » by michaelm » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:37 am

WarriorGM wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:Aren't you the same guy who said we weren't worshipping Curry hard enough? What exactly is your point -- that Kerr needs to play Curry more? Or that we need to find several hundred million dollars somewhere so we can ignore the luxury tax and sign a bunch of superstars to make sure Steph knows we worship him? Or are you suggesting that the team will get magically better without Kerr? Please, enlighten us.

My impression with Kerr is that he is more concerned with Curry's limitations than his potential. It was observed in one article in 2016 that at the rate Curry was going back then that an offense based solely on him could theoretically achieve the highest offensive rating in history. I don't think that has really be put to the test even this year. Unless there are things going on behind the scenes we aren't aware of I haven't gotten the impression that Kerr has pushed the envelope with Curry.

There's that story of Larry Bird saying one day he'll just beat the opposing team with his left hand—and he went out and did it. Curry conceivably could do something even more audacious. Maybe he could beat a team exclusively doing pull-up jump shots from half court? There may be coaches who value experimentation that might be willing to put that to the test but one gets the feeling Kerr isn't one of them considering how quickly he pulls Curry from games when he's been on a hot streak and on course for breaking records. There is room for a coach and an organization who believes in Curry's special abilities to be more creative and get more out of him.

So Curry is 6’8” tall, 250 ibs and bulletproof is he ?. And another recent poster complains Kerr did not optimise the bench, so it would seem fairly hard for Kerr to do the right thing.

There was a coach who didn’t employ Curry optimally, his name was Mark Jackson.

As has been said to you many times, the current situation is a result of selling the farm to acquire Kevin Durant, perhaps a mistake if you consider 2 titles a poor return, but something with which Curry was presumably fully on board, given he was one of the Hamptons’ 5 recruiting party.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#106 » by WarriorGM » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:46 am

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

So Curry is 6’8” tall, 250 ibs and bulletproof is he ?. And another recent poster complains Kerr did not optimise the bench, so it would seem fairly hard for Kerr to do the right thing.

As has been said to you many times, the current situation is a result of selling the farm to acquire Kevin Durant, perhaps a mistake if you consider 2 titles a poor return, but something with which Curry was presumably fully on board, given he was one of the Hamptons’ 5 recruiting party.

Just because Mark Jackson didn't use Curry well and Kerr has done better does not necessarily mean Curry has been employed optimally. Nash was on the Mavericks and looked perfectly serviceable but he reached another level with the Suns. Even then in hindsight Nash and many of Nash's supporters lament that he didn't shoot more.

I am also mystified by your insistence that the current situation is a result of getting Durant. I don't see that at all. Curry's, Klay's, and Draymond's higher salaries have as much to do with it and even then I don't see why the team couldn't look very different if the front office didn't prioritize getting younger so much. I was neutral on Oubre but looking back I am surprised someone like Danny Green who had more playoffs experience wasn't a target or maybe a higher IQ player like one of the Bogdanovics or as I've looked at before Aaron Gordon who was a higher draft pick. How did the Warriors end up with Oubre? Was he the only player left on the table? The guys former Warriors executive Travis Schlenk went after to build the Hawks were more in line with the names I was anticipating.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#107 » by Onus » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:06 pm

Travis Schlenk has built a good looking team down in Atlanta
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#108 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Seriously? You're comparing last year when Curry played 5 games with this year when he played 63 games? Yeah, it must be because of coaching changes and that Kerr got out of Curry's way. What else could it possibly be?

He means he LITERALLY got out of his way. Last year Kerr is the one who tripped Curry by not getting out of his way, they just lied that it was a game injury.

Stop being dim. The 15-win team was composed of rookies and journeymen but it also indicated there was nothing particularly special about Kerr's coaching. The 39-win team following still composed mainly of G-Leaguers and journeymen showed that Curry is the difference. The coaching changes that made the most difference were the ones that either amplified or hindered Curry's play. Benching Wiseman was probably the most effective coaching move and let's face it Kerr wasn't even responsible for that, the injury was.

"Stop being dim" ... do you know what tanking is?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#109 » by shazam_guy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:35 pm

So we should fire Kerr because he may not have enabled Curry to play an entire game left-handed? Honestly, that seems to be the point -- we should get rid of a coach because another coach might somehow, in some unspecified way, have got more out of Curry. In other words, MVPs, three rings, and scoring titles are not enough, and it's Kerr's fault.

I really struggle with the logic on this board sometimes. To me, it reads "Let's decide we have a problem and then figure out whose fault it is."
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#110 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 am

shazam_guy wrote:So we should fire Kerr because he may not have enabled Curry to play an entire game left-handed? Honestly, that seems to be the point -- we should get rid of a coach because another coach might somehow, in some unspecified way, have got more out of Curry. In other words, MVPs, three rings, and scoring titles are not enough, and it's Kerr's fault.

I really struggle with the logic on this board sometimes. To me, it reads "Let's decide we have a problem and then figure out whose fault it is."

I think part of it is that there are some sports journalists who write that way, and I think part of it is that some people just can't help but be trolls.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#111 » by michaelm » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:10 am

WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

Just because Mark Jackson didn't use Curry well and Kerr has done better does not necessarily mean Curry has been employed optimally. Nash was on the Mavericks and looked perfectly serviceable but he reached another level with the Suns. Even then in hindsight Nash and many of Nash's supporters lament that he didn't shoot more.

I am also mystified by your insistence that the current situation is a result of getting Durant. I don't see that at all. Curry's, Klay's, and Draymond's higher salaries have as much to do with it and even then I don't see why the team couldn't look very different if the front office didn't prioritize getting younger so much. I was neutral on Oubre but looking back I am surprised someone like Danny Green who had more playoffs experience wasn't a target or maybe a higher IQ player like one of the Bogdanovics or as I've looked at before Aaron Gordon who was a higher draft pick. How did the Warriors end up with Oubre? Was he the only player left on the table? The guys former Warriors executive Travis Schlenk went after to build the Hawks were more in line with the names I was anticipating.

And Klay, proven to be a fantastic complementary player to Curry (it is hard to imagine a player could be designed in a lab who would be a better fit as an SG next to Curry) who also had been one of the most durable players in the NBA at the time he was signed to his latest contract went down for 2 seasons. Such things happen if you play the last game of the finals 5 years in a row, particularly if you elect to go all in on a win now team by signing KD. If he had stayed I think they would have been strong contenders this year, and KD or a healthy Klay let alone both would have attracted plenty of ring chasers.

I and others have conceded that Wiseman was something of an each way bet rather than a bet on prime Curry, and however good he might become it was unlikely he would be able to contribute significant starting quality minutes, let alone title winning starter quality minutes, in his first year, but again this was somewhat forced on them by an injury to Chriss, which I don’t think Kerr caused in any way.

Sure Oubre looks like a mistake now, but it wasn’t so obvious at the time that he didn’t have the mindset to fit with Curry, and his close to overnight signing was necessitated again because of Klay’s second injury, and demonstrated at least that the organisation was prepared to go into luxury tax/salary cap hell to support Curry.

You are preaching to a congregation mostly comprised of fanatical Curry fans, but even we recognise he has some limitations at 6 foot 3 and 185 lbs, particularly given that he is apparently so unfair that normal rules as far as defending him and scragging him off the ball don’t apply. As I have said I would pick him ahead of anyone to build a team around, but if you go the route chosen when they went with Durant you need one more of the most elite players in the NBA next to Curry, and you have foregone the chance to have an overall solid team like the 2011 Mavs or 2019 Raptors which one superstar can take over the top. Perhaps this year demonstrated Curry was more durable than previously appreciated, but that was after the fact, and previous assessments that he was somewhat fragile were hardly unreasonable.
WarriorGM
General Manager

Post#112 » by WarriorGM » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:30 am

michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:So Curry is 6’8” tall, 250 ibs and bulletproof is he ?. And another recent poster complains Kerr did not optimise the bench, so it would seem fairly hard for Kerr to do the right thing.

And Klay, proven to be a fantastic complementary player to Curry (it is hard to imagine a player could be designed in a lab who would be a better fit as an SG next to Curry) who also had been one of the most durable players in the NBA at the time he was signed to his latest contract went down for 2 seasons. Such things happen if you play the last game of the finals 5 years in a row, particularly if you elect to go all in on a win now team by signing KD. If he had stayed I think they would have been strong contenders this year, and a healthy Klay let alone Klay and Durant would have attracted plenty of ring chasers.

I and others have conceded that Wiseman was something of an each way bet rather than a bet on prime Curry, and however good he might become it was unlikely he would be able to contribute starting quality minutes, let alone title winning starter quality minutes, in his first year, but again this was somewhat forced on them by an injury to Chriss, which I don’t think Kerr caused in any way.

Sure Oubre looks like a mistake now, but it wasn’t so obvious at the time that he didn’t have the mindset to fit with Curry, and his close to overnight signing was necessitated again because of Klay’s second injury, and demonstrated at least that the organisation was prepared to go into luxury tax/salary cap hell to support Curry.

You are preaching to a congregation mostly comprised of fanatical Curry fans, but even we recognise he has some limitations at 6 foot 3 and 185 lbs, particularly given that he is apparently so unfair that normal rules as far as defending him and scragging him off the ball don’t apply. As I have said I would pick him ahead of anyone to build a team around, but if you go the route chosen when they went with Durant you need one more of the most elite players in the NBA next to Curry, and you have foregone the chance to have an overall solid team like the 2011 Mavs or 2019 Raptors which one superstar can take over the top.

LeBron after failing to reach the playoffs in 2019 was still able to attract Davis. Why shouldn't Curry even with Klay out be able to do similar? Were there people doubting he could carry a team without Klay? Are there people still doubting he can carry a team without Klay? The organization failed miserably in selling Curry and Kerr is at the top of the list in this failure.

You bring up the 2011 Mavs and the 2019 Raptors but you overlook as many do the most pertinent case: the 2015 Warriors. Just another example of the ridiculous way Curry's legacy is being mishandled.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#113 » by michaelm » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 am

WarriorGM wrote:
michaelm wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:

And Klay, proven to be a fantastic complementary player to Curry (it is hard to imagine a player could be designed in a lab who would be a better fit as an SG next to Curry) who also had been one of the most durable players in the NBA at the time he was signed to his latest contract went down for 2 seasons. Such things happen if you play the last game of the finals 5 years in a row, particularly if you elect to go all in on a win now team by signing KD. If he had stayed I think they would have been strong contenders this year, and a healthy Klay let alone Klay and Durant would have attracted plenty of ring chasers.

I and others have conceded that Wiseman was something of an each way bet rather than a bet on prime Curry, and however good he might become it was unlikely he would be able to contribute starting quality minutes, let alone title winning starter quality minutes, in his first year, but again this was somewhat forced on them by an injury to Chriss, which I don’t think Kerr caused in any way.

You are preaching to a congregation mostly comprised of fanatical Curry fans, but even we recognise he has some limitations at 6 foot 3 and 185 lbs, particularly given that he is apparently so unfair that normal rules as far as defending him and scragging him off the ball don’t apply. As I have said I would pick him ahead of anyone to build a team around, but if you go the route chosen when they went with Durant you need one more of the most elite players in the NBA next to Curry, and you have foregone the chance to have an overall solid team like the 2011 Mavs or 2019 Raptors which one superstar can take over the top.

LeBron after failing to reach the playoffs in 2019 was still able to attract Davis. Why shouldn't Curry even with Klay out be able to do similar? Were there people doubting he could carry a team without Klay? Are there people still doubting he can carry a team without Klay? The organization failed miserably in selling Curry and Kerr is at the top of the list in this failure.

You bring up the 2011 Mavs and the 2019 Raptors but you overlook as many do the most pertinent case: the 2015 Warriors. Just another example of the ridiculous way Curry's legacy is being mishandled.

The 2015 GSW team had a healthy Klay on less money than he is on now, and Curry being paid 12 million a year, which just might have contributed to them having a stronger bench including a close to prime Iguodala, although he was obviously not the 6th best player on the team, and subsequently being able to sign KD, and ring chasing vets allowed them to end up with a 3 headed centre better than they had previously, on the basis of availability at the very least.

I was in favour of keeping Barnes before he performed so poorly in the play-offs in 2016 btw, but not for KD money, and still wonder whether he was frozen out after rejecting the fairly generous early season offer which may have contributed to his poor form in the playoffs.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#114 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:20 pm

michaelm wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:Kerr unleashed Curry and we got 3 rings. However, his system never got anything going when Steph is on the bench. We are talking about a team with KD, Klay, Draymond, prime Iguodala, Livingston etc etc with many solid vets.

Only in 1 season did he manage to get a positive net rating with Steph off court over the 5 year run, and it was at +0.1 only.

Probably a good idea to optimise the playing scheme for the starters rather than the bench, and it is hard to play one scheme based on Curry who is such a unique player and play a totally different scheme for the bench, as with most of LeBron’s teams.

Hard to argue with results for the 4 years which encompassed the 3 titles anyway, the most wins ever over such a period iirc.

Fully agree. However, Steph is now 33 and it is hard to imagine him carrying us through the regular season in the West so we have decent seeding for the playoffs. We need the "Steph-system" to beat teams in the playoffs, but it is near impossible if we don't have home court for all playoff rounds.

It is all the more important now for Kerr to figure something when Steph sits. For one, Steph won't be +15-20 when on-court anymore, so we cannot be -5 when he sits. Otherwise, Steph will be run to the ground in the regular season, with nothing left for the playoffs.

Kerr delivered. Now he needs to adjust and deliver again.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 217

Post#115 » by sonnyhill » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:27 am

GunnerWRX wrote:
michaelm wrote:

Fully agree. However, Steph is now 33 and it is hard to imagine him carrying us through the regular season in the West so we have decent seeding for the playoffs. We need the "Steph-system" to beat teams in the playoffs, but it is near impossible if we don't have home court for all playoff rounds.

It is all the more important now for Kerr to figure something when Steph sits. For one, Steph won't be +15-20 when on-court anymore, so we cannot be -5 when he sits. Otherwise, Steph will be run to the ground in the regular season, with nothing left for the playoffs.

Kerr delivered. Now he needs to adjust and deliver again.

You are making an assumption that Kerr can coach this team into the playoffs, which he had failed to do the past two seasons.

Also, what has "Kerr delivered" on?

Lastly, unless the team has a coach who can improve this team's record, then replacing Kerr is pointless. Whom would the board rather have than Kerr coaching the Warriors and why?
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:47 pm

sonnyhill wrote:You are making an assumption that Kerr can coach this team into the playoffs, which he had failed to do the past two seasons.

Lastly, unless the team has a coach who can improve this team's record, then replacing Kerr is pointless. Whom would the board rather have than Kerr coaching the Warriors and why?

Kerr "delivered" three NBA titles after decades in the wilderness. It also seems a fairly reasonable assumption that he can coach the team into the playoffs considering that he coached the team into the NBA finals five years in a row. Then lost two of his three best offensive players -- All-Stars, in Durant's case certain HOFer -- for the two years we didn't make it, plus other injuries to Steph and Dray and many others.

It astounds me that people can have conversations on this board about Steve Kerr as if 2015-2019 never happened. Do you also think the presidential election was stolen?
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#117 » by sonnyhill » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:09 pm

shazam_guy wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:You are making an assumption that Kerr can coach this team into the playoffs, which he had failed to do the past two seasons.

Kerr "delivered" three NBA titles after decades in the wilderness.

Commendable and Hall of Fame worthy.

shazam_guy wrote: It astounds me that people can have conversations on this board about Steve Kerr as if 2015-2019 never happened.

We are now going into the 2021-2022 season; the team roster is different; and the team has missed the playoffs two seasons in a row. Kerr should not be above scrutiny and, when warranted, criticism.

We should not neither be "Kerr haters" nor "Kerr 'fanboys;'" yet, as we watch the best player that Kerr had ever coached, Kevin Durant, play the highest level of playoff basketball (btw, how well is Kerr doing coaching the Warriors in our current playoff bracket?) for a team that is not the Golden State Warriors, we should also ask "how and why did Kerr mess up his relationship with Durant, too?"
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#118 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:13 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:

shazam_guy wrote: It astounds me that people can have conversations on this board about Steve Kerr as if 2015-2019 never happened.

We are now going into the 2021-2022 season; the team roster is different; and the team has missed the playoffs two seasons in a row. Kerr should not be above scrutiny and, when warranted, criticism.

We should not neither be "Kerr haters" nor "Kerr 'fanboys;'" yet, as we watch the best player that Kerr had ever coached, Kevin Durant, play the highest level of playoff basketball (btw, how well is Kerr doing coaching the Warriors in our current playoff bracket?) for a team that is not the Golden State Warriors, we should also ask "how and why did Kerr mess up his relationship with Durant, too?"

Or perhaps, "Why do random message board posters assume Kerr messed up his relationship with Durant?"

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#119 » by sonnyhill » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:

Or perhaps, "Why do random message board posters assume Kerr messed up his relationship with Durant?"

https://www.knbr.com/2021/01/14/kevin-durant-warned-james-harden-about-playing-for-steve-kerr-report/
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#120 » by Mob Byers » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:39 pm

KD was mad he wasn't Steph, had less to do with Kerr.

Return to Golden State Warriors