ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Steve Kerr

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

sonnyhill
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 30
Joined: Oct 28, 2020

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#21 » by sonnyhill » Sat May 22, 2021 4:02 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:What I saw was a broken roster with a mixed mission to start the year. Win & develop may not be impossible, but you probably can't do both at any serious high level. We won a little and developed a little. That's about what was possible.

I saw Kerr try to develop a not NBA ready prospect with mixed results, but clear progress occurring right at the moment JW's injury happened. I saw him try to maximize a low IQ, historically negative, high $ free agent acquisition by putting him in the limited positions where he could succeed for us. I saw Kerr recognize and make space for Jordan Poole to bring his talent to the NBA stage while also trying to help Poole learn how to play with Curry and within the system. I saw Andrew Wiggins become a DOMINANT defender and more than passable contributor to a contender next season basically erasing the negative asset stigma attached to the remaining years on Wiggins contract. I saw Kerr try to protect and preserve Curry as much as possible, while letting him have room to win a scoring title and come in a likely 2nd for MVP (and still Curry ended up gassed in the extra frames of the two most consequential games.) I would say unequivocally that the much maligned Curry substitution patter was largely vindicated. Curry's rest schedule clearly improved Curry's ability to be effective in closing minutes of halves and games. Playing him more resulted in getting less in the final moments. I saw our bench actually get meaningfully better at playing Warriors basketball during the 8 man run. The guys with high IQ's were able to move the ball and create a number of great shots by passing on the good shot and I saw them actually WIN bench minutes a few times down the stretch. That progress was all on coaching and all on commitment to our system despite all the voices clamoring for more Hardenball to make life easier on the dummies.

OTOH, I saw WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much Wannamaker. Too much trust in Bazemore. Not enough trust in Lee. No development of any ancillary skills in Paschall (probably more on the player than the coach, but Kerr is in the big chair.) A broken development strategy for Wiseman for much of the year (but possibly a front office mandate rather than a coaching choice). ​I saw in game and playcall mistakes, some of which he admitted to. I saw way too much sensitivity and pride in the media, trying to "win the argument in the press" (take another page out of Pop's book coach and don't coach your team in the press...at all.)

Overall, I saw a pretty good coaching job amidst pretty difficult circumstances, with some missteps. Certainly nothing firing-worthy.

I doubt he's even on the hotseat next year. Myers would most assuredly go first. If Meyers does have a "failure" offseason and gets the axe after another season limited by the roster, only then would Kerr be next in line (only because Lacob can't fire himself.)


Very balanced and good analysis.
ahmetmekin
Senior
Posts: 591
And1: 304
Joined: Apr 21, 2018
 

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#22 » by ahmetmekin » Sat May 22, 2021 4:08 pm

The main coaching issues were: g-league level guys played a ton of minutes which is not Kerr's fault -since we have many of them- and his late game execution plans especially timeouts. He cannot sleep and just let it play in the last seconds of the game. Otherwise, I do not have any problems with Kerr this year.
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#23 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.


There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.


Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#24 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:OTOH, I saw WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much Wannamaker. Too much trust in Bazemore. Not enough trust in Lee. No development of any ancillary skills in Paschall (probably more on the player than the coach, but Kerr is in the big chair.)


When the FO goes out and gets a guy to play a role nobody else on the roster is capable of filling it's the coach's responsibility to play him until the very last moment before he needs to be traded. That way the FO has the most information possible as to whether he should be kept or not. By playing Wanamaker as much as he did Kerr to the greatest extent possible made the case that he should be traded and that's what happened. Wanamaker's failure therefore is entirely his own and the FO's, not the coach's. The only way Kerr can be faulted for the minutes he gave Wanamaker is if Mannion turned out to be better and he didn't.

Bazemore played 16mpg in March, down from 18mpg in February. In April he played 25mpg and in May 30mpg which coincided with DLee catching Covid and Oubre getting hurt. If those players are healthy, Bazemore averages half the minutes he ended up with which is what he deserves. Bazemore got the minutes he did because there were no other options.

DLee got between 18-20mpg every month of the season which is right where he belongs.

Paschall is a conundrum. He needs to stop shooting 3s at the top of his jump. If he can't then he'll never be a regular rotation player. You think that falls ultimately on Kerr? If you say so.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Kuya
Analyst
Posts: 3,742
And1: 741
Joined: Jun 18, 2013
         

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#25 » by Kuya » Sat May 22, 2021 4:40 pm

Lol @ Kerr being the best coach in basketball

In the locker room he may be the best, but his in game adjustments are average.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Image
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,882
And1: 1,859
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#26 » by Onus » Sat May 22, 2021 4:45 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.


There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.


Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.

Defensive talent is a lot easier to acquire in the nba than offensive talent, which is why superstars skew towards offense.

We were able to get JTA and GP who are solid defenders off the scrap heap. There are always solid defensive players to be found, whether or not they fit offensively is where the issue arises.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Jester_
General Manager
Posts: 8,196
And1: 724
Joined: Mar 25, 2011

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#27 » by Jester_ » Sat May 22, 2021 5:05 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.


There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.


Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.


We have arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history on our roster, the best defensive assistant coach in the league (Ron Adams) and some solidly athletic longbois around him and you think Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because we were ranked #5 in defense :banghead:

Y'all are hopeless
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#28 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.


Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.


We have arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history on our roster, the best defensive assistant coach in the league (Ron Adams) and some solidly athletic longbois around him and you think Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because we were ranked #5 in defense :banghead:

Y'all are hopeless


"Solidly athletic longbois"? What the hell are you talking about? Wigs? Yeah, has really turned in to a great defender and uses his natural abilities well. Who else?

JTA and Bazemore are average athletic talents. Looney is long and has nice feet but has waaaay below average quickness, leaping ability and strength. Poole has nice quickness but below average leaping ability and strength.

You're talking out of your ass.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
jaymo123
Pro Prospect
Posts: 787
And1: 275
Joined: Mar 10, 2012

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#29 » by jaymo123 » Sat May 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Kerr made some comments and decisions that had me question his coaching at times but I would keep him for now. He can make some improvements just like the players need to make improvements.
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#30 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 5:22 pm

Onus wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
There's absolutely nothing impressive about coaching a team with the greatest offensive player of all time and one of the greatest defensive players of all time to missing the playoffs. Utter nonsense.


Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.

Defensive talent is a lot easier to acquire in the nba than offensive talent, which is why superstars skew towards offense.

We were able to get JTA and GP who are solid defenders off the scrap heap. There are always solid defensive players to be found, whether or not they fit offensively is where the issue arises.


Talent is the same on both sides of the court. Talent is physical ability. Offensive effectiveness is more a measure of skill than talent, particularly on our team which has a scheme built on passing and shooting rather than athletic dominance.

Defensive effectiveness is usually more of a measure of physical ability than skill. Draymond and JTA are outliers and it's not a coincidence that their presence in the NBA is predicated on defense. Neither guy is a skilled scorer(I think JTA's 3pt shooting is fool's gold) but they're such smart(skilled) defenders they can excel even with marginal levels of physical talent.

But that's unusual. Most of the best defensive players today and throughout history are exceptional physical talents.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
User avatar
Onus
General Manager
Posts: 9,882
And1: 1,859
Joined: May 12, 2008
Location: NOA

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#31 » by Onus » Sat May 22, 2021 5:33 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Onus wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.

Defensive talent is a lot easier to acquire in the nba than offensive talent, which is why superstars skew towards offense.

We were able to get JTA and GP who are solid defenders off the scrap heap. There are always solid defensive players to be found, whether or not they fit offensively is where the issue arises.


Talent is the same on both sides of the court. Talent is physical ability. Offensive effectiveness is more a measure of skill than talent, particularly on our team which has a scheme built on passing and shooting rather than athletic dominance.

Defensive effectiveness is usually more of a measure of physical ability than skill. Draymond and JTA are outliers and it's not a coincidence that their presence in the NBA is predicated on defense. Neither guy is a skilled scorer(I think JTA's 3pt shooting is fool's gold) but they're such smart(skilled) defenders they can excel even with marginal levels of physical talent.

But that's unusual. Most of the best defensive players today and throughout history are exceptional physical talents.

Bruce Bowen, Tony Allen, Alex Caruso, Dillion Brooks all weren't drafted in the first round. There's a ton of examples of defensive players that are drafted in the 2nd rd or that go undrafted. Probably more than half the teams have a good defender that wasn't drafted.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#32 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Onus wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Onus wrote:Defensive talent is a lot easier to acquire in the nba than offensive talent, which is why superstars skew towards offense.

We were able to get JTA and GP who are solid defenders off the scrap heap. There are always solid defensive players to be found, whether or not they fit offensively is where the issue arises.


Talent is the same on both sides of the court. Talent is physical ability. Offensive effectiveness is more a measure of skill than talent, particularly on our team which has a scheme built on passing and shooting rather than athletic dominance.

Defensive effectiveness is usually more of a measure of physical ability than skill. Draymond and JTA are outliers and it's not a coincidence that their presence in the NBA is predicated on defense. Neither guy is a skilled scorer(I think JTA's 3pt shooting is fool's gold) but they're such smart(skilled) defenders they can excel even with marginal levels of physical talent.

But that's unusual. Most of the best defensive players today and throughout history are exceptional physical talents.

Bruce Bowen, Tony Allen, Alex Caruso, Dillion Brooks all weren't drafted in the first round. There's a ton of examples of defensive players that are drafted in the 2nd rd or that go undrafted. Probably more than half the teams have a good defender that wasn't drafted.


Look at who populates All-NBA defensive teams every year. Most of them are excellent on both sides of the court because they are exceptional physical talents. Even players throughout history that are recognized as only or primarily defensive players were exceptional physical talents. Ben Wallace, Dennis Rodman, Bill Russell, Scottie Pippen are all recognized as some of the most powerful, explosive, longest, quickest players in history. Defense has always been predicated on athleticism.

It's what makes Draymond such a unique player. He's not that tall and not exceptionally quick. He's got good length with his wingspan but not exceptionally so. He's one of the best defensive players in history almost entirely because of defensive IQ.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Samurai
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,361
And1: 1,998
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#33 » by Samurai » Sat May 22, 2021 6:45 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.

Not sure what your definition of "athletic talent" is but I am unclear on why Mulder would be considered "below average" athletic talents by NBA standards. If you look at his combine results compared to a couple others in his class that are generally considered to be at least average or even above average athletes, De'Aaron Fox and Bam Adebayo:

Height w/shoes: Fox - 6'3.25" Mulder - 6'4.5" Adebayo - 6'10"
Weight: Fox - 185 Mulder - 187 Adebayo - 258
Wingspan: Fox - 6'4.5" Mulder - 6'8" Adebayo - 7'1.5"
Hand length: Fox - 9.25" Mulder - 10.75" Adebayo - 9"
Max Vertical: Fox - 38.5" Mulder - 44" Adebayo - 39.5"
3/4 Court sprint: Fox - 3.18 Mulder - 3.15 Adebayo - 3.29
Lane agility: Fox - 10.81 Mulder - 10.18 Adebayo - 11.89
Shuttle: Fox - 2.81 Mulder - 2.86 Adebayo - 3.04

Now you may consider Fox and Adebayo to also be below average athletes by NBA standards, which is fine, but I've always viewed both to be elite athletes, particularly Fox's speed and Bam's explosiveness. Now it can certainly be argued that Mulder hasn't utilized his athletic gifts on a basketball court, but that goes more to the lack or inadequacy of player development or coaching that he has received rather than being a bad athlete. Solely as an "athletic talent", Mulder is clearly not lacking there.
Jester_
General Manager
Posts: 8,196
And1: 724
Joined: Mar 25, 2011

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#34 » by Jester_ » Sat May 22, 2021 6:49 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Steph and Wigs are the only two healthy players drafted earlier than 28th. Draymond was a 2nd rounder and his defensive ability is an extreme outlier.

Bazemore, JTA and Mulder all were playing regular rotation minutes by the end of the season. All undrafted.

Effective defense at this level is overwhelmingly a product of physical attributes. Length, quickness, strength, agility can't be taught yet Kerr was able to overcome the lack of those talents from the majority of his rotation players with a defensive scheme and defensive principles.

Kerr coached this team to the cusp of a playoff berth and it's damn near a miracle that he was able to do so. Not one other coach in the NBA would have been able to coach this team as far above their talent level as he did.


We have arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history on our roster, the best defensive assistant coach in the league (Ron Adams) and some solidly athletic longbois around him and you think Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because we were ranked #5 in defense :banghead:

Y'all are hopeless


"Solidly athletic longbois"? What the hell are you talking about? Wigs? Yeah, has really turned in to a great defender and uses his natural abilities well. Who else?

JTA and Bazemore are average athletic talents. Looney is long and has nice feet but has waaaay below average quickness, leaping ability and strength. Poole has nice quickness but below average leaping ability and strength.

You're talking out of your ass.


You're right kid. It's Kerr that made us a decent defensive team. Not the best defender in history and the best defensive ast. coach in the league. You're 100% right.
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#35 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Jester_ wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Jester_ wrote:
We have arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history on our roster, the best defensive assistant coach in the league (Ron Adams) and some solidly athletic longbois around him and you think Kerr is the best coach in the NBA because we were ranked #5 in defense :banghead:

Y'all are hopeless


"Solidly athletic longbois"? What the hell are you talking about? Wigs? Yeah, has really turned in to a great defender and uses his natural abilities well. Who else?

JTA and Bazemore are average athletic talents. Looney is long and has nice feet but has waaaay below average quickness, leaping ability and strength. Poole has nice quickness but below average leaping ability and strength.

You're talking out of your ass.


You're right kid. It's Kerr that made us a decent defensive team. Not the best defender in history and the best defensive ast. coach in the league. You're 100% right.


Now you get it little man.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#36 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Samurai wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.

Not sure what your definition of "athletic talent" is but I am unclear on why Mulder would be considered "below average" athletic talents by NBA standards. If you look at his combine results compared to a couple others in his class that are generally considered to be at least average or even above average athletes, De'Aaron Fox and Bam Adebayo:

Height w/shoes: Fox - 6'3.25" Mulder - 6'4.5" Adebayo - 6'10"
Weight: Fox - 185 Mulder - 187 Adebayo - 258
Wingspan: Fox - 6'4.5" Mulder - 6'8" Adebayo - 7'1.5"
Hand length: Fox - 9.25" Mulder - 10.75" Adebayo - 9"
Max Vertical: Fox - 38.5" Mulder - 44" Adebayo - 39.5"
3/4 Court sprint: Fox - 3.18 Mulder - 3.15 Adebayo - 3.29
Lane agility: Fox - 10.81 Mulder - 10.18 Adebayo - 11.89
Shuttle: Fox - 2.81 Mulder - 2.86 Adebayo - 3.04

Now you may consider Fox and Adebayo to also be below average athletes by NBA standards, which is fine, but I've always viewed both to be elite athletes, particularly Fox's speed and Bam's explosiveness. Now it can certainly be argued that Mulder hasn't utilized his athletic gifts on a basketball court, but that goes more to the lack or inadequacy of player development or coaching that he has received rather than being a bad athlete. Solely as an "athletic talent", Mulder is clearly not lacking there.


Mulder's most glaring deficiency is his lateral quickness. Why does that not jive with his combine numbers? I don't know. Maybe he's got poor reactions? Maybe he's not an instinctive defender and just needs to continue to learn tendencies? He definitely seems to be a hard worker on defense, Kerr wouldn't give him minutes otherwise. But his on court switching and recovering to shooters is always too late to be effective. He's got long arms and those freakishly long hands but he's consistently not able to challenge or deny shots.

Night after night he's shown that if he's not knocking down 3s he's not providing much of anything positive. If there's one Warriors player that consistently disappears when he's not scoring its Mulder.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
sonnyhill
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 30
Joined: Oct 28, 2020

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#37 » by sonnyhill » Sat May 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Kuya wrote:Lol @ Kerr being the best coach in basketball

In the locker room he may be the best, but his in game adjustments are average.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app


Agreed! You are correct.

Also, Kerr failed to both develop Wiseman as well as get this team into the playoffs, the two KPIs which this team had set at the beginning of the season.
Samurai
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,361
And1: 1,998
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#38 » by Samurai » Sat May 22, 2021 7:44 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Samurai wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr is the best coach in basketball. His ability to coach the most marginally athletic 8-man rotation in the league to the 5th rated defense overall, 3rd in opponent FG% is a testament to how good he is.

We have exactly 3 + athletes on the roster in Wigs, Oubre and Wiseman and two of those guys didn't finish the season healthy. JTA, Bazemore and Paschall are mediocre athletes and the rest are below average.

Steph, Dray, Loon, Poole, Lee and Mulder are all below average athletic talents by NBA standards.

And you guys can't recognize how well Kerr did in almost coaching this bunch to the playoffs? Clueless and pathetic is what the lot of you are.

Not sure what your definition of "athletic talent" is but I am unclear on why Mulder would be considered "below average" athletic talents by NBA standards. If you look at his combine results compared to a couple others in his class that are generally considered to be at least average or even above average athletes, De'Aaron Fox and Bam Adebayo:

Height w/shoes: Fox - 6'3.25" Mulder - 6'4.5" Adebayo - 6'10"
Weight: Fox - 185 Mulder - 187 Adebayo - 258
Wingspan: Fox - 6'4.5" Mulder - 6'8" Adebayo - 7'1.5"
Hand length: Fox - 9.25" Mulder - 10.75" Adebayo - 9"
Max Vertical: Fox - 38.5" Mulder - 44" Adebayo - 39.5"
3/4 Court sprint: Fox - 3.18 Mulder - 3.15 Adebayo - 3.29
Lane agility: Fox - 10.81 Mulder - 10.18 Adebayo - 11.89
Shuttle: Fox - 2.81 Mulder - 2.86 Adebayo - 3.04

Now you may consider Fox and Adebayo to also be below average athletes by NBA standards, which is fine, but I've always viewed both to be elite athletes, particularly Fox's speed and Bam's explosiveness. Now it can certainly be argued that Mulder hasn't utilized his athletic gifts on a basketball court, but that goes more to the lack or inadequacy of player development or coaching that he has received rather than being a bad athlete. Solely as an "athletic talent", Mulder is clearly not lacking there.


Mulder's most glaring deficiency is his lateral quickness. Why does that not jive with his combine numbers? I don't know. Maybe he's got poor reactions? Maybe he's not an instinctive defender and just needs to continue to learn tendencies? He definitely seems to be a hard worker on defense, Kerr wouldn't give him minutes otherwise. But his on court switching and recovering to shooters is always too late to be effective. He's got long arms and those freakishly long hands but he's consistently not able to challenge or deny shots.

Night after night he's shown that if he's not knocking down 3s he's not providing much of anything positive. If there's one Warriors player that consistently disappears when he's not scoring its Mulder.

His lack of defensive awareness or poor instincts could either be a lack of basketball understanding, which is different than pure athletic talent, or poor coaching/player development. My point is that to call Mulder a "below average athlete by NBA standards" is not supported by the facts. We could lament that our coaching staff hasn't been able to harness his elite athleticism and develop him into a better player but I don't think we can label poor coaching/player development as the same as being a poor athlete.
GQ Hot Dog
Head Coach
Posts: 6,494
And1: 4,060
Joined: May 15, 2006
Location: On the road...
     

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#39 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sat May 22, 2021 7:59 pm

Samurai wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Samurai wrote:Not sure what your definition of "athletic talent" is but I am unclear on why Mulder would be considered "below average" athletic talents by NBA standards. If you look at his combine results compared to a couple others in his class that are generally considered to be at least average or even above average athletes, De'Aaron Fox and Bam Adebayo:

Height w/shoes: Fox - 6'3.25" Mulder - 6'4.5" Adebayo - 6'10"
Weight: Fox - 185 Mulder - 187 Adebayo - 258
Wingspan: Fox - 6'4.5" Mulder - 6'8" Adebayo - 7'1.5"
Hand length: Fox - 9.25" Mulder - 10.75" Adebayo - 9"
Max Vertical: Fox - 38.5" Mulder - 44" Adebayo - 39.5"
3/4 Court sprint: Fox - 3.18 Mulder - 3.15 Adebayo - 3.29
Lane agility: Fox - 10.81 Mulder - 10.18 Adebayo - 11.89
Shuttle: Fox - 2.81 Mulder - 2.86 Adebayo - 3.04

Now you may consider Fox and Adebayo to also be below average athletes by NBA standards, which is fine, but I've always viewed both to be elite athletes, particularly Fox's speed and Bam's explosiveness. Now it can certainly be argued that Mulder hasn't utilized his athletic gifts on a basketball court, but that goes more to the lack or inadequacy of player development or coaching that he has received rather than being a bad athlete. Solely as an "athletic talent", Mulder is clearly not lacking there.


Mulder's most glaring deficiency is his lateral quickness. Why does that not jive with his combine numbers? I don't know. Maybe he's got poor reactions? Maybe he's not an instinctive defender and just needs to continue to learn tendencies? He definitely seems to be a hard worker on defense, Kerr wouldn't give him minutes otherwise. But his on court switching and recovering to shooters is always too late to be effective. He's got long arms and those freakishly long hands but he's consistently not able to challenge or deny shots.

Night after night he's shown that if he's not knocking down 3s he's not providing much of anything positive. If there's one Warriors player that consistently disappears when he's not scoring its Mulder.

His lack of defensive awareness or poor instincts could either be a lack of basketball understanding, which is different than pure athletic talent, or poor coaching/player development. My point is that to call Mulder a "below average athlete by NBA standards" is not supported by the facts. We could lament that our coaching staff hasn't been able to harness his elite athleticism and develop him into a better player but I don't think we can label poor coaching/player development as the same as being a poor athlete.


Combine workout warriors come around every year. More so in football but it's not unusual in the NBA. There's such a think as "functional athleticism" and what Mulder tested out as is far more impressive than what shows up in the games. In the end, how a guy looks in the cone or shuttle drill is irrelevant if that athleticism doesn't show up on the court.

There isn't any reason to believe his lack of impact beyond knocking down 3s is a product of poor coaching or development.

What I notice most about him is, despite good hustle, he doesn't appear to like physical play.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
User avatar
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
Posts: 51,609
And1: 10,530
Joined: Jun 22, 2003
Location: There is no public health without the public.

Re: Fire Steve Kerr 

Post#40 » by floppymoose » Sat May 22, 2021 8:24 pm

Kuya wrote:In the locker room he may be the best, but his in game adjustments are average.

There is literally no coach in the nba who fans say is above average at in game adjustments. The fans always know better.

Return to Golden State Warriors