ImageImageImageImageImage

After hearing Myers talk about the payroll, it's clear they're only spending for significant guys.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

After hearing Myers talk about the payroll, it's clear they're only spending for significant guys. 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Thu May 27, 2021 8:19 pm

So Oubre is gone and so is his salary unless they have a deal where they can facilitate it into a big deal. Simply put, they're not spending a lot for role players. Look to them using just the vet minimums for the roster. Maybe they use the MLE, but if they end up using those picks, that is an extra 8M. This isn't exactly what we want, but it's the reality of the situation. Their payroll is going to be ridiculous.

So I see them with two options. Make a big trade where they consolidate salaries and assets for a trade where we get a big time player, or they go forward with a core of Steph, Klay, Wiggins, and Draymond, Looney, and Wiseman and bolster the roster with draft picks and vet minimums. They're gonna hope Wiseman, Poole, JTA, and the rookies all take some leaps in their game. That's where we're at.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,149

Re: After hearing Myers talk about the payroll, it's clear they're only spending for significant guys. 

Post#2 » by TB » Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Ya the only notable point I got from the Myers interview was that Oubre staying is basically not happening. And if his salary is coming back in the form of a S&T, we are getting a better player and sending draft picks and/or wiseman with him. This is simply because he quickly said "too high" to a payroll number that would be keeping everyone, the oubre salary, and picks.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: After hearing Myers talk about the payroll, it's clear they're only spending for significant guys. 

Post#3 » by killmongrel » Thu May 27, 2021 8:44 pm

TB wrote:Ya the only notable point I got from the Myers interview was that Oubre staying is basically not happening. And if his salary is coming back in the form of a S&T, we are getting a better player and sending draft picks and/or wiseman with him. This is simply because he quickly said "too high" to a payroll number that would be keeping everyone, the oubre salary, and picks.

Correct.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#4 » by and1GS » Thu May 27, 2021 10:40 pm

I still think we ship Oubre for a TPE then try to get someone at the deadline if we're trending up. Know he crapped the bed with BOS, but they did get Fournier for a TPE at the same time this past year and he seemed a good fit/player at the time.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#5 » by FNQ » Thu May 27, 2021 11:24 pm

I think once the deadline passed, we should have given up on the idea of them using Oubre as a salary filler. If we're getting a star its going to take Wiggins as salary ballast.

And unless the league values him way different than fans (which is definitely possible - especially if these new sports trackers are as prevalent to NBA teams as Im told) we're likely not moving off of Wiggins. So I think we're gonna see a very vanilla offseason
TB
General Manager

Post#6 » by TB » Thu May 27, 2021 11:54 pm

FNQ wrote:I think once the deadline passed, we should have given up on the idea of them using Oubre as a salary filler. If we're getting a star its going to take Wiggins as salary ballast.

And unless the league values him way different than fans (which is definitely possible - especially if these new sports trackers are as prevalent to NBA teams as Im told) we're likely not moving off of Wiggins. So I think we're gonna see a very vanilla offseason

I think you are right.

Only way maaaaaybe we can use Oubre is basically finding a team willing to give him a 1 year massive contract, simply as filler to unload an older star to get our draft assets. And Oubre would agree because, lets face it, nobody is giving him big money unless they are getting draft picks as well.

Example:
Minny pick doesn't go our way, turns into 2022
Oubre 1 year 20m, #14 pick for Harrison Barnes

Now we don't have to pay any rookie salaries, keep the bigger salary of Barnes, and Kings get a draft asset and save money in the future. I randomly picked Barnes, but i'm basically talking about any solid vet in the 15-25m range we are willing to lose the 14 (or maybe all the picks) for.

Even then not sure that level player is worth all that money... maybe just hope to nail the MLE and vet minimums and letting Oubre walk.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#7 » by FNQ » Thu May 27, 2021 11:55 pm

TB wrote:
FNQ wrote:I think once the deadline passed, we should have given up on the idea of them using Oubre as a salary filler. If we're getting a star its going to take Wiggins as salary ballast.

I think you are right.

Only way maaaaaybe we can use Oubre is basically finding a team willing to give him a 1 year massive contract, simply as filler to unload an older star to get our draft assets. And Oubre would agree because, lets face it, nobody is giving him big money unless they are getting draft picks as well.

Example:

Now we don't have to pay any rookie salaries, keep the bigger salary of Barnes, and Kings get a draft asset and save money in the future. I randomly picked Barnes, but i'm basically talking about any solid vet in the 15-25m range we are willing to lose the 14 (or maybe all the picks) for.

I believe S&Ts require at least 2 years, maybe 3
TB
General Manager

Post#8 » by TB » Thu May 27, 2021 11:56 pm

FNQ wrote:
TB wrote:

I think you are right.

Example:

oh thats interesting. Good luck getting a team to do that for Oubre lol. Looks like I better just get excited for the MLE.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#9 » by CS707 » Fri May 28, 2021 1:51 am

Seemed to me like they are really counting on the ring chasers coming for cheap. I don’t know who those guys are but I think we’ll be a popular destination for whoever fits in that category.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#10 » by Onus » Fri May 28, 2021 1:53 am

Batum would fit so well here
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#11 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 28, 2021 2:22 am

FNQ wrote:
TB wrote:

I think you are right.

Example:

Yep, a S&T must be at least 3 years, but only the first year has to be guaranteed.

Here's a recent take on Oubre's situation; Michael Scotto from HoopHype said yesterday, "...the sense I’ve gotten from a league source is that Oubre and his camp think they can get over $20 million (annually), and he ideally wants a long-term deal. The two-year, $30 million deal that he did when he was with the Suns is not something he’s looking to do."
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#12 » by marthafokker » Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 am

If the Ball for Oubre was real, Myers looks even more of an idiot now.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#13 » by azwfan » Fri May 28, 2021 2:51 am

marthafokker wrote:If the Ball for Oubre was real, Myers looks even more of an idiot now.

So what would make you think it was real?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Fri May 28, 2021 4:37 am

He said the same last season.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#15 » by Impuniti » Fri May 28, 2021 5:31 am

gst8 wrote:Seemed to me like they are really counting on the ring chasers coming for cheap. I don’t know who those guys are but I think we’ll be a popular destination for whoever fits in that category.

Well it would have been nice if the team made the playoffs to actually attract the right players. That would have been a great enough incentive, even though 1/3rd of the people on here wanted a tank season.

Team needs 2 quality level vets, and 2 quality/reliable shooters along with Klay for next season. Even if that means 1 of the vets is a quality shooter. It's a bit scary, but lets see what Bob does this offseason.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#16 » by and1GS » Fri May 28, 2021 5:34 am

I can't imagine any ring chasers would want to join a big question mark like the warriors. The only exception would be if they came in as a starter and could build their value for the following season.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#17 » by Impuniti » Fri May 28, 2021 5:54 am

and1GS wrote:I can't imagine any ring chasers would want to join a big question mark like the warriors. The only exception would be if they came in as a starter and could build their value for the following season.

This was a huge massive issue that I had with so many posters here who were fine to turn the team into tank machines (massive loser mentality). Poole and JTA having some playoff experience would have been huge and some Curry magic to raise the attraction of the team for the summer. Winning also turns players more confident, cocky and better. That's why this season was a disappointment.

Even though Bob's job was incredibly difficult, it's a shame he wasn't able to bring in 1-2 solid NBA players to the team. I understand his job last summer in particular was extremely easy, but he's in charge to turn a **** situation into something valuable, and he couldn't do enough (he had some great moves still).
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#18 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri May 28, 2021 6:46 am

Am I the only one that thinks Oubre is a good fit as a 3/4 guy rather than the 2/3 guy kerr has been using him as?
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 719

Post#19 » by Jerry Maine » Fri May 28, 2021 9:48 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Am I the only one that thinks Oubre is a good fit as a 3/4 guy rather than the 2/3 guy kerr has been using him as?

No.

But he's not worth anywhere near the coin he's demanding as a third string backup tweener, which is all he's projecting to be on this team.

He's worth more to someone else, somewhere else. If we resign him well have to attach assets to be rid of his massive salary after his trade value plummets further once JTA's takes his minutes for good.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#20 » by weekend_warrior » Fri May 28, 2021 10:57 am

Myers said he will sit with Oubre and talk. To me it sounded like: if he accepts to come of the bench and be paid like a bench player, there is a chance that he could be back. To me that price tag should be around 10m. For this type of salary, we should think of bringing him back to fill 20-25 minutes of the 3 and 4 position. Because we will need a backup wing player of that price range if we have any ambitions. As a result, we might not fill all 3 more expensive salary slots of MLE and both 1st round picks.

But this really comes down to what options are available:
- Would Oubre accept?
- What other veterans could we get for MLE money?
- Where do the draft picks (realistically: The Wolves pick) fall, what can we draft there or what kind of trade would be possible?

I think the first important information is actually where the picks fall and then go from there. I don't expect them to do all that much planning before.

Return to Golden State Warriors