ImageImageImageImageImage

James Wiseman admits mental struggles...

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Old_Blue
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 163
Joined: Jul 02, 2019
         

James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Mon May 31, 2021 6:44 pm

I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Analyst
Posts: 3,263
And1: 2,843
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#2 » by lars_rosenberg » Mon May 31, 2021 6:52 pm

James Wiseman seems to be a very sensitive kid, which probably makes him a very likable person for people around him, but could also have downsides in his development if he's too mentally weak. He looks soft as f**k tbh.
I hope he gets it together and comes back stronger.
Frozzy
Starter
Posts: 2,139
And1: 1,726
Joined: Apr 23, 2014
Location: Skyline Blvd
 

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#3 » by Frozzy » Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:James Wiseman seems to be a very sensitive kid, which probably makes him a very likable person for people around him, but could also have downsides in his development if he's too mentally weak. He looks soft as f**k tbh.
I hope he gets it together and comes back stronger.

My thoughts too... He reminds me of Harrison Barnes.
Image
mos_def
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,646
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 30, 2006
     

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#4 » by mos_def » Mon May 31, 2021 7:12 pm

If you probably had Draymond screaming at you on assignments and the best player on the world on your team, I bet a majority of people would crumble
User avatar
marthafokker
Head Coach
Posts: 6,914
And1: 450
Joined: Jul 13, 2004

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#5 » by marthafokker » Mon May 31, 2021 7:20 pm

The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
mos_def
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,646
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 30, 2006
     

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#6 » by mos_def » Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 pm

marthafokker wrote:The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.


That being said, he was also the #2 pick.
a8bil
Starter
Posts: 2,475
And1: 863
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#7 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 7:53 pm

mos_def wrote:
marthafokker wrote:The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.


That being said, he was also the #2 pick.
What can that possibly mean other than to ignore that he is human, inexperienced and prone to getting down on himself? Having been taken #2 will change none of these attributes.
User avatar
hamncheese
Analyst
Posts: 3,574
And1: 644
Joined: Jul 27, 2005
       

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#8 » by hamncheese » Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm

a8bil wrote:
mos_def wrote:
marthafokker wrote:The coaching staff needs someone to set expectations for him. He is a kid, he needs directions.

Tell him to develop strength this off season. His job a super version of JavVale McGee. Then build around everything that McGee wasn't a little at a time.

Too much expectations for himself will cause some kids to fail. He is not a LeBron or Curry type. He need to be directed.

I hope the coaching staff has already giving him off season instructions already. I guess I am asking too much with coaching record of rookie development on this team.


That being said, he was also the #2 pick.
What can that possibly mean other than to ignore that he is human, inexperienced and prone to getting down on himself? Having been taken #2 will change none of these attributes.

I thought the comment about Wiseman being #2 was about judging the coaching staff's record in development since they haven't worked with anyone with the talent level of high draft pick.
Bob Meyers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
Old_Blue
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 163
Joined: Jul 02, 2019
         

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#9 » by Old_Blue » Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 pm

"I just love the game of basketball so much that I couldn't even fathom not playing with my teammates," Wiseman said. "That kind of took a lot out of me."

Isn't this is the same kid who quit on his Memphis squad after being reinstated following his NCAA suspension?
a8bil
Starter
Posts: 2,475
And1: 863
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#10 » by a8bil » Mon May 31, 2021 8:42 pm

hamncheese wrote:
a8bil wrote:
mos_def wrote:
That being said, he was also the #2 pick.
What can that possibly mean other than to ignore that he is human, inexperienced and prone to getting down on himself? Having been taken #2 will change none of these attributes.

I thought the comment about Wiseman being #2 was about judging the coaching staff's record in development since they haven't worked with anyone with the talent level of high draft pick.
I didn't, but if you're right, it still doesn't change that this is basically a high school player with little experience, trying to fit in on team that expects high levels of coordination on offense and more importantly on defense. don't forget that last year's draft was considered one of the weaker drafts in recent history. If Wiseman came in this year, he might not make top 5. Still, look at his per 36 #s...19.3/9.7 compared to the 1st year of other bigs who recently came in the league:

Ayton -- 19.1/12
Porzingis -- 18.1/9.3.
Domantas -- 10.6/6.4
Allen -- 8.2/5.4
Adebayo -- 12.6/10
Carter -- 14.8/10

So, nothing to worry about at this point. Wiseman needs to better understand his role and execute better on team defense. There is certainly nothing to be wagging a finger at coaching about at this stage. Give him a full offseason working out and training with the team and let's see how he progresses.
Scoots1994
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 424
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 8:53 pm

Saw something mid-season with Jarron Collins who was glowing about how much Green loved Wiseman and that he was working with him so well. Post game interviews with Green were all supportive of Wiseman that I saw.

Klay cried a bunch as a rookie too. Klay would shutdown mid-game if he missed a shot or had a turnover. It took him a while to overcome his own expectations let alone the expectations of fans. Klay also talked about the emotional hardship of injuries being far worse than the physical stuff.

Every rookie coming in to a winning team with all-nba players are going to be under more pressure to live up to the team. Pretty much all rookies struggle on teams that have contending for title standards. Add to that that he's essentially a high school player with no offseason.

Wiseman still gets 2 years before he can be really evaluated, he just needs to show progress this year.
User avatar
GSWFan1994
Senior
Posts: 654
And1: 688
Joined: Oct 31, 2006
 

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#12 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:56 pm

I wonder how Old Blue was mentally at 19 years old.

Everything he posts is anti-Wiseman.
Old_Blue
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 163
Joined: Jul 02, 2019
         

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#13 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jun 1, 2021 12:38 am

It appears to be a self esteem/confidence issue. Again, I feel sorry for the kid.

https://clutchpoints.com/warriors-news-james-wiseman-admits-to-needing-confidence-boosters-from-dubs-in-tough-rookie-campaign/

"Golden State Warriors rookie center James Wiseman readily acknowledged he needed members of the organization to remind him of his talent."
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 11,601
And1: 1,959
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#14 » by cdubbz » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:26 am

Old_Blue wrote:I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."


Tough. Wish the best for him I got to admit. Not sure we’re the right team to be developing a young athlete mentally while competing for playoffs and more.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 424
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#15 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 1:49 am

cdubbz wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."


Tough. Wish the best for him I got to admit. Not sure we’re the right team to be developing a young athlete mentally while competing for playoffs and more.


Poole's confidence came back and his game improved a lot and now the Warriors expect him to contribute to a deep playoff run.

Every player needs confidence to play at their best.
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 41,790
And1: 10,860
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#16 » by Coxy » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:16 am

Tough initiation year, he’s going to need to grow up quickly and get the grit between his teeth to overcome, or he may go down a Kwame like path.

Develop some absolute go to moves this off-season James, commit to defence, you’ll be fine.
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?

Wolveswin wrote:Russell is a lesser contract younger healthier version of Wall.

:lol:
Mob Byers
Freshman
Posts: 90
And1: 32
Joined: Apr 22, 2021
   

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#17 » by Mob Byers » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:26 am

Rough year and college "career" leading up to it. These are mental struggles any sane person in his position would have given his circumstances. Can't wait to see him back next year
Image
User avatar
whatisacenter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,005
And1: 5,092
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#18 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jun 1, 2021 2:32 am

did you all read the yahoo article? I think he was saying he cried after his latest injury and not from playing in the NBA. So much dissing on the big guy, I don't get it.
Scoots1994
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 424
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#19 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:16 am

whatisacenter wrote:did you all read the yahoo article? I think he was saying he cried after his latest injury and not from playing in the NBA. So much dissing on the big guy, I don't get it.


Yeah, and Klay cried after his. It happens.
User avatar
Impuniti
Head Coach
Posts: 6,261
And1: 4,728
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: James Wiseman admits mental struggles... 

Post#20 » by Impuniti » Tue Jun 1, 2021 3:46 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:I'm starting to feel sorry for this kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/james-wiseman-admits-mental-struggles-164425920.html

"It's kind of hard, I was really down," Wiseman said in his latest video diary for The Undefeated. "I can say that I was crying a lot. Yeah, it was bad. My mom had to actually tell me everything was gonna be all right."


Tough. Wish the best for him I got to admit. Not sure we’re the right team to be developing a young athlete mentally while competing for playoffs and more.


Poole's confidence came back and his game improved a lot and now the Warriors expect him to contribute to a deep playoff run.

Every player needs confidence to play at their best.

Little Poole tried to dunk on Lebron, failed, then walked right in front of him like he was nothing. I wouldn't compare Poole to others because the guy is built different from everyone else.

Saying that, doesn't change that Wise comes back a lot better this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors