ImageImageImageImageImage

The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Did the Warriors front office fail Curry this year?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 45

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Re: The Front Office (specifically) failed Curry by prioritizing development 

Post#121 » by Onus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 pm

I get the argument that you want to build for the long term but realistically that long term won’t include a top 15 player of all time. So it makes no sense to build for the long term because really you’ll most likely be building a treadmill team unless of course you think wiseman or Poole are going to turn into a top 5 player in the nba.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#122 » by sonnyhill » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Onus wrote:I get the argument that you want to build for the long term but realistically that long term won’t include a top 15 player of all time. So it makes no sense to build for the long term because really you’ll most likely be building a treadmill team unless of course you think wiseman or Poole are going to turn into a top 5 player in the nba.

Agreed. Good analysis.

The last Piston championship team, coached by Larry Brown and put together by Joe Dumars in the front office, with Chauncy Billups, Richard Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Tayshaun Prince were able to win without a top 5 player and even got back to play for a championship again the following year (only to lose to the Spurs). That team imploded by both passing up on drafting Carmelo Anthony and taking Darko Milicic as well as letting Larry Brown go.

If the Warriors are going to give Curry the supermax extension, then the team should surround Curry with talent which can win right now. If not, then the Warriors should trade Curry away right now, while his value is at its peak and go 100% into "prioritizing development."

With this past season's roster, with Kerr throwing Wiseman into the starting lineup instead of easing him into the rotation, we saw "prioritizing development' at its worst.

The team should not give up on Wiseman; however, the team should not sacrifice Curry's peak years just for the sake of "prioritizing development." Yet, Kerr, openly stated that "we are not chasing wins."
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#123 » by superunknown » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Right now curry is the warriors and the warriors are curry. It’s really that simple. And it will be like that for at least another 2-3 years or until father time catches up with him as well.
Until then, the organisation should try to maximise the best asset it has, in this specific case a top 3 player in the league, not prioritising the medium/long term (like a successful medium/long term was a sure thing. well, it’s not, but what you have right now, a top 3 player in the league, is a sure thing).
It also in the nature of American professional sport, if you want to win you do your best to maximise your best assets (star players) till they’re able to compete at the top and then once they can’t anymore you start again with other star players (sometimes soon sometimes after a decade sometimes after decades, it’s not an exact science, it depends on many variables). Unless you want to be an organisation that is usually good, possibly with a winning record on regular basis and stable playoffs appearances but never a contender except rare cases.

if you chase two rabbits you’ll end up losing’ ‘em both.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#124 » by WarriorGM » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:53 am

xdrta+ wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
No offense, but you make no sense.

As you say, you don't understand.

Oh, I understand your argument. Curry's a doormat because he's not insisting on running the front office the way Lebron would, rooting for a team instead of a player can be compared to racial prejudice, and there's no reason for Curry to stay where he's so underappreciated. I understand your argument, it's just a very silly one.

Silly me. Curry is a doormat and is rather taken with the whole idea of sacrifice and loyalty. It would be a waste for the organization not to take advantage of his martyr complex. Better avoid praising him while at it so that he doesn't grow too big a head and start expecting more. Maybe the team can even get him to re-sign at a discount. The actions the organization and its "fans" here have adopted make perfect sense.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#125 » by shazam_guy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 am

Yeah, because the organization and the fans on this board don't want any more championships. You're so right. We're avoiding talking about Curry around here -- yeah, I noticed that, he never gets mentioned or given credit for being a good player -- and nobody on the board wants to trade all our young players and draft picks -- yeah, noticed that too, everybody here would sell their own mother before giving up Wiseman or draft picks -- because we want the team not to win any more championships. Makes complete sense.

You've been playing this same boring, silly tune on this board for months. It didn't make any sense when it started and it still doesn't. It ignores virtually every argument on this board, and also just plain doesn't work as logic.

You seem to think that a team that has just invested millions and millions and millions of dollars in a new arena is no longer interested in winning basketball, and thus they're going to just milk Curry's last years and enjoy mediocrity while they lose a fortune. Despite the dynamic way they came in and the dynamic results they've had so far.

You are a religious believer. Your arguments cannot be refuted because only you know what they are. Your perception that Curry is undervalued by almost everyone but you -- based on no evidence except belief and what you claim to have seen on this board -- is the entire hypothesis so far. No proof, no back-up, no facts, not even some offhand remark from a stoned Tim Kawakami, just one person's opinion. Why don't you explain who you are to have such an important, powerful opinion about the GSW and Steph Curry, to the point where you keep posting basically the same thing over and over?

Voice over: "Obsession, by Calvin Klein."
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#126 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:49 am

you can do both, jfc.

the problem is the guy we are developing is a **** terrible fit for this team and system.

if we wanted big, look @ what Okongwu is doing in the POs right now, he would've been a much better player for us who actually fits what we do.
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#127 » by mos_def » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:25 am

clyde21 wrote:you can do both, jfc.

the problem is the guy we are developing is a **** terrible fit for this team and system.

if we wanted big, look @ what Okongwu is doing in the POs right now, he would've been a much better player for us who actually fits what we do.

The problem is that Okongwu is barely getting 8 minutes a game. If he gets that at the 2nd pick then he would be a bigger bust than what you think Wiseman is now
clyde21
RealGM

Post#128 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:35 am

mos_def wrote:

The problem is that Okongwu is barely getting 8 minutes a game. If he gets that at the 2nd pick then he would be a bigger bust than what you think Wiseman is now

he gets 8 mins a game because Atlanta already has Capela/Collins in the front court, but for us he would've most definitely gotten more.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#129 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:10 am

mos_def wrote:

You been watching these games or just box score scanning?
mos_def
Sixth Man

Post#130 » by mos_def » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:47 am

clyde21 wrote:
mos_def wrote:

he gets 8 mins a game because Atlanta already has Capela/Collins in the front court, but for us he would've most definitely gotten more.

All Okongwu does is stay in the lob area. That is nothing what we do. He's probably the worst screener in the league. I would take Biedrins before his mental fart before I see out of Okongwu
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#131 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:19 pm

mos_def wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mos_def wrote:

All Okongwu does is stay in the lob area. That is nothing what we do. He's probably the worst screener in the league. I would take Biedrins before his mental fart before I see out of Okongwu

Read on Twitter
?s=20
clyde21
RealGM

Post#132 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:22 pm

mos_def wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
mos_def wrote:

just say you haven't really watched okongwu at all so we can avoid this exchange altogether, it's fine.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,899

Post#133 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Okongwu really struggled at the beginning of the season and was able to improve as the season went on. I’m willing to let Wiseman get more burn before pigeon holing him for the rest of his career.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
mos_def
Sixth Man

Post#134 » by mos_def » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:40 pm

clyde21 wrote:
mos_def wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

just say you haven't really watched okongwu at all so we can avoid this exchange altogether, it's fine.

There isn't much to watch. He doesn't play alot of minutes
mos_def
Sixth Man

Post#135 » by mos_def » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:01 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
mos_def wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I just saw bad two man defense. I have no clue what the guard was doing on their drop defense. He didn't fight through or chase over or seal Okongwu. Their second switch was better for big wing responsibilities but Okongwu didn't do anything spectacular cuz he wasn't defended...and he ran straight to the lob area
clyde21
RealGM

Post#136 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:10 pm

let me go ahead and put Okongwu down it might make me feel a little better about Wiseman
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#137 » by shazam_guy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:10 pm

And you just go ahead and boost Okongwu if it makes you feel better about your loathing of the Wiseman pick, Clyde. And we'll keep on shouting back and forth about something that nobody knows about for certain, as fans do. It helps to kill the off-season blahs, I guess.

Return to Golden State Warriors