ImageImageImageImageImage

Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Kuya
Analyst
Posts: 3,747
And1: 741
Joined: Jun 18, 2013
         

Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:19 pm

They look like they may win this year and will be the heavy favorites next year.

We need to be aggressive this offseason.

Beating KD in the finals would be sweet satisfaction. Losing to him would be awful.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Image
User avatar
whatisacenter
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,071
And1: 5,177
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#2 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jun 6, 2021 4:50 pm

If the Nets have all three of the stars healthy they will be a tough out for any team.

The Warriors can be as aggressive as they want to be but any move will ultimately hinge upon a star being available or a star telling their current team that they want to be traded to the Warriors. I don't think moves around the edges will be enough to launch the Warriors to the level of the Nets with Klay coming off of 2 years of injuries. I do think they can be an exciting playoff team tho.
cdubbz
RealGM
Posts: 11,609
And1: 1,960
Joined: May 05, 2005
Location: Oakland
 

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#3 » by cdubbz » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:30 pm

If everyone is healthy on both sides -- it would be very tough for us. Warriors would need consistent role players who can score.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
ClutchUp
Sophomore
Posts: 191
And1: 71
Joined: Dec 23, 2019
       

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#4 » by ClutchUp » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:40 pm

Where we stack up against the rest of the western conference is far more important than worrying about Brooklyn.
User avatar
cpower
RealGM
Posts: 13,997
And1: 5,333
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
   

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#5 » by cpower » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:48 pm

make the playoffs first.
Badly Browned
Veteran
Posts: 2,796
And1: 195
Joined: Mar 21, 2009
       

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#6 » by Badly Browned » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:52 pm

Need to draft with like 2012 levels of immediate success.

And prolly need Draymond to discover how to score efficiently again to win in the Finals.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
Samurai
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,364
And1: 1,998
Joined: Jul 01, 2014
     

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#7 » by Samurai » Sun Jun 6, 2021 6:53 pm

Without a major move, no. That would be a huge challenge for anyone. But when we had Steph, KD, Klay and Dray, I don't think the Nets believed they could beat us then either!
User avatar
Impuniti
Head Coach
Posts: 6,309
And1: 4,780
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#8 » by Impuniti » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:10 pm

Without any other roster changes? No. Also big questions.
1. Is Draymond going to continue to be one of the worst shooters and scorers in the league?
2. What level of Klay is the team getting back?
Chupchup
Sophomore
Posts: 173
And1: 30
Joined: Oct 21, 2020

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#9 » by Chupchup » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:23 pm

Probably not but getting to the Finals would be amazing. Regardless if we win or not.

With that being said, put the best team possible and go for it and hope for the best. I mean did anyone really think Toronto was going to beat us if we had a healthy team? So who knows if the Nets will stay healthy too.
gst8
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,683
And1: 3,370
Joined: Dec 23, 2003

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#10 » by gst8 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 6:04 pm

The Nets aren't built for the long haul. Wouldn't shock me in the least if personality clashes and injuries derail them as early as next year. We absolutely need to nail the draft, get healthy, and maximize what little money we have to spend but no, I don't think we need to add a superstar to beat the Nets.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 54,919
And1: 15,667
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#11 » by FNQ » Mon Jun 7, 2021 9:57 pm

Define major.

Getting a starter? Getting a superstar? Getting an all-star? Letting Oubre walk?
HiRez
RealGM
Posts: 10,146
And1: 2,205
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#12 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:53 am

No. Seriously, no.

We either need a 3rd star (not counting Draymond, who is a star, but he does his own thing), or we need a wide array of complimentary vet role players and a deeper bench at least 7-8 deep).

Of course with injuries and unforeseen shifts anything can happen, but I think it's exceedingly unlikely right now. Moves need to be made.
Scoots1994
Analyst
Posts: 3,061
And1: 446
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 4:43 am

It's not about Curry, Klay, Wiggins, and Green ... we know fairly well what they are. Poole, Paschall, and Wiseman's development are absolutely key. The draft picks this year being home runs is essentially required. But what maybe matters more is who they get to fill out the roster and how they come together.
HiRez
RealGM
Posts: 10,146
And1: 2,205
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#14 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:03 am

Scoots1994 wrote:It's not about Curry, Klay, Wiggins, and Green ... we know fairly well what they are. Poole, Paschall, and Wiseman's development are absolutely key. The draft picks this year being home runs is essentially required. But what maybe matters more is who they get to fill out the roster and how they come together.

Are you willing to risk everything on all those things happening? Because that's a lot of things that have to go right, where not much can go wrong. The clock is ticking, it's unlikely they'll get another shot if they blow it this year.

Standing pat and not completely mucking up the draft picks probably does get you into the playoffs and maybe several rounds deep. But I don't think much more than that. If we're still in all or nothing mode, I don't think we're quite there and young guys are iffy at best. None of them have playoff experience.
svart
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,852
And1: 1,606
Joined: Jul 02, 2014
   

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#15 » by svart » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:10 am

no
SAKURABA216
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 788
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
   

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#16 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 6:49 am

Even if we managed to get Kawhi or Giannis I’m not sure we could beat them at full strength. Next year if they manage to sign Dwight they would be damn near unstoppable too. They have one of the greatest Big 3s ever along with Joe Harris, another amazing 3 point shooter.

The only way would be able to beat them without adding an established NBA superstar is if our pick miraculously ends up being #1 and we get Cade, the Minny pick ends up at # 4 and we get Jalen Green and both end up being Luka/Trae Young level talents, Wiseman becomes the guy we all hoped he was instead of the kid that got his dunk blown up by Kenyon Martin’s spawn, Jessup comes over and is a Joe Harris clone, and most importantly - Klay comes back and is just as good as he was 2 years ago. Even then it would be a 7 game series and could go either way.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Analyst
Posts: 3,279
And1: 2,872
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#17 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:04 am

SAKURABA216 wrote:Even if we managed to get Kawhi or Giannis I’m not sure we could beat them at full strength. Next year if they manage to sign Dwight they would be damn near unstoppable too. They have one of the greatest Big 3s ever along with Joe Harris, another amazing 3 point shooter.

The only way would be able to beat them without adding an established NBA superstar is if our pick miraculously ends up being #1 and we get Cade, the Minny pick ends up at # 4 and we get Jalen Green and both end up being Luka/Trae Young level talents, Wiseman becomes the guy we all hoped he was instead of the kid that got his dunk blown up by Kenyon Martin’s spawn, Jessup comes over and is a Joe Harris clone, and most importantly - Klay comes back and is just as good as he was 2 years ago. Even then it would be a 7 game series and could go either way.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think KD, Irving and Harden getting season ending injuries is like 100 times more likely than this scenario :crazy:
SAKURABA216
Starter
Posts: 2,208
And1: 788
Joined: Aug 02, 2006
   

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#18 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:55 am

lars_rosenberg wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:Even if we managed to get Kawhi or Giannis I’m not sure we could beat them at full strength. Next year if they manage to sign Dwight they would be damn near unstoppable too. They have one of the greatest Big 3s ever along with Joe Harris, another amazing 3 point shooter.

The only way would be able to beat them without adding an established NBA superstar is if our pick miraculously ends up being #1 and we get Cade, the Minny pick ends up at # 4 and we get Jalen Green and both end up being Luka/Trae Young level talents, Wiseman becomes the guy we all hoped he was instead of the kid that got his dunk blown up by Kenyon Martin’s spawn, Jessup comes over and is a Joe Harris clone, and most importantly - Klay comes back and is just as good as he was 2 years ago. Even then it would be a 7 game series and could go either way.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think KD, Irving and Harden getting season ending injuries is like 100 times more likely than this scenario :crazy:

Lol it took me almost an hour of hitting the refresh button on tankathon to get the #1 and #4 pick. I just wanted to see if it was possible


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
lars_rosenberg
Analyst
Posts: 3,279
And1: 2,872
Joined: Aug 15, 2014
 

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#19 » by lars_rosenberg » Tue Jun 8, 2021 8:57 am

SAKURABA216 wrote:
lars_rosenberg wrote:
SAKURABA216 wrote:Even if we managed to get Kawhi or Giannis I’m not sure we could beat them at full strength. Next year if they manage to sign Dwight they would be damn near unstoppable too. They have one of the greatest Big 3s ever along with Joe Harris, another amazing 3 point shooter.

The only way would be able to beat them without adding an established NBA superstar is if our pick miraculously ends up being #1 and we get Cade, the Minny pick ends up at # 4 and we get Jalen Green and both end up being Luka/Trae Young level talents, Wiseman becomes the guy we all hoped he was instead of the kid that got his dunk blown up by Kenyon Martin’s spawn, Jessup comes over and is a Joe Harris clone, and most importantly - Klay comes back and is just as good as he was 2 years ago. Even then it would be a 7 game series and could go either way.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think KD, Irving and Harden getting season ending injuries is like 100 times more likely than this scenario :crazy:

Lol it took me almost an hour of hitting the refresh button on tankathon to get the #1 and #4 pick. I just wanted to see if it was possible


Lol, I'm sorry for you ahah.
If it happens I'm going crazy.
superunknown
Junior
Posts: 471
And1: 111
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
       

Re: Can we beat the Nets next year without making a major move? 

Post#20 » by superunknown » Tue Jun 8, 2021 1:39 pm

NO

Return to Golden State Warriors