ImageImageImageImageImage

Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,162

Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman 

Post#1 » by cpower » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:18 pm

"Very unlikely," Warriors owner Joe Lacob said on The TK Show podcast with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. "It would take a lot to make me and Bob think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that -- they don't understand the cap [and] they don't understand the economics of the NBA.

"We need young players under good contracts to intersperse with what is already the highest payroll in the history of the NBA ... you just can't keep adding the luxury tax [and] the repeater [tax]. It's not possible. It's just not possible ... we have to sort of try to bridge a gap between now and the future."

---------------
looks like Bob is the puppet. I would not be surprised if next season is Curry's last season with us.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman 

Post#2 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:44 pm

we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,899

Post#3 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Sounds like common sense to me and the obvious strategy.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,162

Post#4 » by cpower » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:59 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg

well we could have gotten Danny Green, Crowder, Morris , Jackson , Roco..for cheap but we wanted Wiggins and Oubre
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,899

Post#5 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:02 pm

cpower wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg

well we could have gotten Danny Green, Crowder, Morris , Jackson , Roco..for cheap but we wanted Wiggins and Oubre

Statements like this one based on nothing close to facts make me realize that it’s a waste of time to reply to some posters.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
RichmondWarrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#6 » by RichmondWarrior » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Can’t trade trash for trash
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#7 » by Currygoat » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:32 pm

The front office doesn’t know what they’re doing. I guess Steph prime will be waisted because we want to develop drafts picks smh
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#8 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:38 pm

Some people think GMing is like building a super team on the NBA 2K videogames.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#9 » by sonnyhill » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:43 pm

Currygoat wrote:The front office doesn’t know what they’re doing. I guess Steph prime will be waisted because we want to develop drafts picks smh

The Warriors have hit pretty well on draft picks who contributed in their rookie years (Barry, Joe Ellis, Derrek Dickey, Wilkes, Phil Smith, Gus Williams, Carroll, Richmond, Hardaway, Sprewell, Webber, Joe Smith, Richardson, Curry, Thompson, Green and Barnes) as well as failed in many (I won't go into this list; it is too depressing).

Can the Warriors properly evaluate talent and develop that talent to become NBA caliber players who can contribute during Curry's prime window? If so, then we roll the dice and go with the plan. If not, then the team has to seriously consider trading Curry asap for a huge haul of assets (draft picks, expiring contracts, etc.).
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#10 » by killmongrel » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:22 am

I mean, he can't just come out and say they want to trade him.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:10 am

whatisacenter wrote:Sounds like common sense to me and the obvious strategy.

And what they said last year before taking Wiseman, and what they said before tanking a season to get him.

Draft assets for cheap talent to mix with the older vets.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 am

sonnyhill wrote:
Currygoat wrote:The front office doesn’t know what they’re doing. I guess Steph prime will be waisted because we want to develop drafts picks smh

The Warriors have hit pretty well on draft picks who contributed in their rookie years (Barry, Joe Ellis, Derrek Dickey, Wilkes, Phil Smith, Gus Williams, Carroll, Richmond, Hardaway, Sprewell, Webber, Joe Smith, Richardson, Curry, Thompson, Green and Barnes) as well as failed in many (I won't go into this list; it is too depressing).

Can the Warriors properly evaluate talent and develop that talent to become NBA caliber players who can contribute during Curry's prime window? If so, then we roll the dice and go with the plan. If not, then the team has to seriously consider trading Curry asap for a huge haul of assets (draft picks, expiring contracts, etc.).

You list Green and Thompson as players who contributed as rookies ... did a quick compare of their rookie years to Wiseman's.

Klay on his 21 year old rookie year vs Wiseman's 19 year old rookie year per 36 isn't far off.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=thompkl01&p1yrfrom=2012&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

Green's 22 year old rookie year

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=greendr01&p1yrfrom=2013&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

Just for the heck of it here is Joe Smith's 20 year old rookie year

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=smithjo02&p1yrfrom=1996&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

It takes time for most rookies to contribute significantly to winning. We'll see.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#13 » by sonnyhill » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:35 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

You list Green and Thompson as players who contributed as rookies ... did a quick compare of their rookie years to Wiseman's.

Klay on his 21 year old rookie year vs Wiseman's 19 year old rookie year per 36 isn't far off.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=thompkl01&p1yrfrom=2012&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=greendr01&p1yrfrom=2013&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=smithjo02&p1yrfrom=1996&player_id2=wisemja01&p2yrfrom=2021

It takes time for most rookies to contribute significantly to winning. We'll see.

While the Wiseman pick has become a hot topic of discussion on this board, no one can argue that jettisoning him now in a trade pretty much ensures that the Warriors will not be getting great value in return.

Can the team come up with a viable plan to develop the kid so that he is not a liability on the defensive end of the floor and so that he can become a better rebounder? Big question mark, for sure...

Is anyone else on the board concerned with Wiseman's poor decision making skills, especially when he decides to both lead as well as finish the break in crowded traffic?

Let's hope that the kid gets healthy and that he and the coaching staff can get his game to improve.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#14 » by azwfan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:12 am

sonnyhill wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

While the Wiseman pick has become a hot topic of discussion on this board, no one can argue that jettisoning him now in a trade pretty much ensures that the Warriors will not be getting great value in return.

Can the team come up with a viable plan to develop the kid so that he is not a liability on the defensive end of the floor and so that he can become a better rebounder? Big question mark, for sure...

Is anyone else on the board concerned with Wiseman's poor decision making skills, especially when he decides to both lead as well as finish the break in crowded traffic?

Let's hope that the kid gets healthy and that he and the coaching staff can get his game to improve.

Not really concerned right now. Get back to me around training camp though.

I thought Wiseman had a pretty poor rookie season. But given the following:

Hadn't played organized ball in over a year, no training camp, limited practices due to condensed schedule and injuries (and just the lack of practices during a regular season)... I don't know not too worried about how out of water he looked.

Much more concerned with his health right now.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#15 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 am

Read on Twitter

You guys keep defending the man and pretending like he isn't the one making all the decisions. :noway: :nonono: :banghead:

Now we're gonna waste the last few years of Steph's career on Lacob's vision of the future.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#16 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 am

sonnyhill wrote:

There's a huge difference between 18- or 19-year old rookies in the high school or OAD era than 30 or 40 years ago when guys finished college before getting drafted.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:38 pm

sonnyhill wrote:While the Wiseman pick has become a hot topic of discussion on this board, no one can argue that jettisoning him now in a trade pretty much ensures that the Warriors will not be getting great value in return.

I thought it was clear he was mentally swimming on a regular basis in the games. I put it down to a couple things, primarily he's basically straight from high school, then no off-season, then a compressed season with very limited practice time, then, bizarrely he gets the start and that pressure to perform right away like a starter on a quality team.

I expect a big step forward, but he's still going to struggle at times.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#18 » by northoakland510 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:21 pm

After watching defensive players like Gobert and Embiid getting taken advantage of on defense; it actually makes me feel better about improvements Wiseman can make.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#19 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:17 pm

cpower wrote:"Very unlikely," Warriors owner Joe Lacob said on The TK Show podcast with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. "It would take a lot to make me and Bob think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that -- they don't understand the cap [and] they don't understand the economics of the NBA.

"We need young players under good contracts to intersperse with what is already the highest payroll in the history of the NBA ... you just can't keep adding the luxury tax [and] the repeater [tax]. It's not possible. It's just not possible ... we have to sort of try to bridge a gap between now and the future."

---------------
looks like Bob is the puppet. I would not be surprised if next season is Curry's last season with us.

What is the upside of declaring that Wiseman is available? Is a 20 year old rookie project coming off a meniscus repair likely to inspire a bidding war or something? Why on earth would Lacob say anything different?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#20 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:44 pm

I have something important to post here... but hold on guys, I just need to finish setting up my Twitter account.

Return to Golden State Warriors