Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Re: Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman 

Post#61 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:40 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Where are the guys who wanted to pretend like Bob Myers was running things? Where are you good folks at? :lol:

So Joe, would you say it’s unlikely you’ll trade Wiseman this offseason?

“Very unlikely,” Lacob said. “It would take a lot to make me and Bob (Myers) think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that, they don’t understand the cap, they don’t understand the economics of the NBA.

Lacob's an over-stuffed PR guy. Myers tells him what the team's decisions are and Lacob does interviews and repeats it.

You have it exactly backwards. Lacob(s) makes the decisions and Myers has good hair.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#62 » by a8bil » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:56 pm

I just don't understand most of the posts in this thread. It seems as though many fans just assume GSW can trade and swap players at will, without regard for salary cap constraints. It also seems that many think that if GSW got more bandaids and bailing wire, it would materially change the trajectory of the team. What do fans not understand in the reality that Klay is our second highest paid player, is injured and his injury hit right before the season? That killed this team's ability to compete. Show me any other team that has survived and thrived with an injury to that level of player, with that size of contract. It just doesn't happen.

Complain about signing Oubre...okay, he didn't work out, but don't give us this nonsense about how someone else who was then available would have made GSW a title contender. Wanamaker sucked, but anyone else we could have signed would not have made a material difference. And, enough about failing to pick Melo in the draft...the season would not have turned out differently, just some fans here would feel satisfied that they were right about his abilities (without regarding to how he would have meshed with this team).

Everyone wants to point to other teams who were built in the last season or two without salary constraints...and they scream to anyone who will listen: "see, they did it!" Yeah, no sheet sherlock...but GSW doesn't have that luxury with the contracts it has without a complete roster turnover or teardown. Having been a GSW fan for decades, I've had enough of the shiny object pining of fans. Joe Barry Carroll? Chris Webber? Billy Owens? So many instances in this franchise's history they have chased the shiny object only to have it explode in their faces.

The only path GSW has to return to contention with this roster is a healthy klay, some ring chasing vets, and some unexpected contributions from rookies/young players on minimum contracts. That's it.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#63 » by a8bil » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 am

I would further note what everyone seems to be missing about Wiseman...he is 19, had 3 college games, had no pre-season and was trained by Penny Hardaway....is it a surprise to anyone that Wiseman has better offensive skills than anticipated, and worse rebounding and defensive skills than hoped for? Will he improve in those categories with actual big man training as opposed to point guard training? I don't know, but you have to assume he will get better. Wiseman has tangibles that cannot be taught... a big body, soft hands and great body control for his size. That is a great foundation to work from.

Everyone also seems to forget that even with Bogut, Zaza and the other big men GSW has had on this roster, GSW's defense was always better with them off the floor. The death squad was the killer defensive group. Wiseman has to focus on being a good rim protector, a solid rebounder and pick setter and scorer within the flow of the offense. He'll be a net positive in short order.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#64 » by shazam_guy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:17 am

a8bil: WAY too sensible and patient. You'll be punished for that.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#65 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:05 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:58 am

a8bil wrote:I just don't understand most of the posts in this thread. It seems as though many fans just assume GSW can trade and swap players at will, without regard for salary cap constraints. It also seems that many think that if GSW got more bandaids and bailing wire, it would materially change the trajectory of the team. What do fans not understand in the reality that Klay is our second highest paid player, is injured and his injury hit right before the season? That killed this team's ability to compete. Show me any other team that has survived and thrived with an injury to that level of player, with that size of contract. It just doesn't happen.

Complain about signing Oubre...okay, he didn't work out, but don't give us this nonsense about how someone else who was then available would have made GSW a title contender. Wanamaker sucked, but anyone else we could have signed would not have made a material difference. And, enough about failing to pick Melo in the draft...the season would not have turned out differently, just some fans here would feel satisfied that they were right about his abilities (without regarding to how he would have meshed with this team).

Everyone wants to point to other teams who were built in the last season or two without salary constraints...and they scream to anyone who will listen: "see, they did it!" Yeah, no sheet sherlock...but GSW doesn't have that luxury with the contracts it has without a complete roster turnover or teardown. Having been a GSW fan for decades, I've had enough of the shiny object pining of fans. Joe Barry Carroll? Chris Webber? Billy Owens? So many instances in this franchise's history they have chased the shiny object only to have it explode in their faces.

The only path GSW has to return to contention with this roster is a healthy klay, some ring chasing vets, and some unexpected contributions from rookies/young players on minimum contracts. That's it.

You are not alone.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#67 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 am

a8bil wrote:

No that is not the only path. It never was. You are a victim of Stockholm Syndrome my friend. Repeatedly the FO has blundered. They drafted Wiseman when Ball was the obvious choice. Because they drafted Wiseman no other vet centers want to come here. In fact Looney is probably gone this offseason as well. They failed to trade Oubre at the deadline for *anything* not even a second round pick. Now he will walk away and we get nothing. They failed to trade Paschall when he actually might have had some value.

Even with all those blunders, they still have some trade chips that could potentially net a player that could help win *next season*. That is a path. Whether they decide to take is up to them, but to sit here and pretend like this is predetermined outcome is madness. Or just marketing. It's honestly more what I would have expected from Chris Cohan.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#68 » by Mob Byers » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 am

EvanZ wrote:
a8bil wrote:

No that is not the only path. It never was. You are a victim of Stockholm Syndrome my friend. Repeatedly the FO has blundered. They drafted Wiseman when Ball was the obvious choice. Because they drafted Wiseman no other vet centers want to come here. In fact Looney is probably gone this offseason as well. They failed to trade Oubre at the deadline for *anything* not even a second round pick. Now he will walk away and we get nothing. They failed to trade Paschall when he actually might have had some value.

Even with all those blunders, they still have some trade chips that could potentially net a player that could help win *next season*. That is a path. Whether they decide to take is up to them, but to sit here and pretend like this is predetermined outcome is madness. Or just marketing. It's honestly more what I would have expected from Chris Cohan.

Whole lot of assuming going on here. It’s pretty cute.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#69 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:20 pm

Mob Byers wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
a8bil wrote:

Look man, if it makes you feel good to keep putting blind faith in Bob Myers' hair, good for you.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#70 » by Onus » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Mob Byers wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Look man, if it makes you feel good to keep putting blind faith in Bob Myers' hair, good for you.

Why do you think Looney is gone this off season? He's not getting more money anywhere else.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#71 » by northoakland510 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:15 pm

EvanZ wrote:
a8bil wrote:

We do not know if Wiseman was the wrong pick. Tyreke Evans was the rookie of the year over Steph and we see how that worked out. Vets didn't come here because Klay got hurt, it was not because of Wiseman. I prefer that the team build the correct way and not take shortcuts and be left with no depth .
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#72 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 pm

What I take from Lacob's statement: we will not trade our picks.

I still believe our top 4 players are not our main problem.

The problem is that we are very weak in the 5-10 area of the roster.

By having both picks (nailing them, of course), plus Wiseman, Poole, maybe Jessup, we have a chance to create a strong supporting cast for Curry, Klay, Green, Wiggins (plus Looney, JTA) which would learn from them, improve over time, provide healthy bodies over injuries, and take over being the core players in a few years time.

Besides all of this, as Lacob said, the team can't constantly keep adding salary.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#73 » by Impuniti » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:42 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:What I take from Lacob's statement: we will not trade our picks.

By having both picks (nailing them, of course), plus Wiseman, Poole, maybe Jessup, we have a chance to create a strong supporting cast for Curry, Klay, Green, Wiggins (plus Looney, JTA) which would learn from them, improve over time, provide healthy bodies over injuries, and take over being the core players in a few years time.

Besides all of this, as Lacob said, the team can't constantly keep adding salary.

I agree presuming Klay comes back in form like KD. To me, Poole, JTA, Loon and Baze if he comes back on the min is great value.

You need 1 of the 2 rooks to be useable and valuable, Wiseman to step up from this season and get 2 vets that can raise the level of this team, both being useful in important parts of the game and when Curry sits.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,387

Post#74 » by svart » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:25 am

whatisacenter wrote:
cpower wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg

well we could have gotten Danny Green, Crowder, Morris , Jackson , Roco..for cheap but we wanted Wiggins and Oubre

Statements like this one based on nothing close to facts make me realize that it’s a waste of time to reply to some posters.

this is exactly why i put him on my ignore list.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:19 pm

Mob Byers wrote:Whole lot of assuming going on here. It’s pretty cute.

Hey man, don't you know he posts information from twitter?!? He's like a real GM!
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Impuniti wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:What I take from Lacob's statement: we will not trade our picks.

I agree presuming Klay comes back in form like KD. To me, Poole, JTA, Loon and Baze if he comes back on the min is great value.

You need 1 of the 2 rooks to be useable and valuable, Wiseman to step up from this season and get 2 vets that can raise the level of this team, both being useful in important parts of the game and when Curry sits.

I believe this is absolutely the plan.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#77 » by HiRez » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm still high on Wiseman. He has all the athletic tools and size, and he has the desire to get better. He'll get better at rebounding, blocking more naturally without telegraphing his intent, and timing with his teammates on moving and passing. You can nitpick here or there, but my biggest concern is does he lack the killer instinct to dominate his opponent. Even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he can't be a good player, but IMO that can be the difference between good and elite.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#78 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#79 » by and1GS » Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:01 pm

Did you mean to share your own tweet but accidentally shared some rando's instead?
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#80 » by EvanZ » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:30 am

and1GS wrote:Did you mean to share your own tweet but accidentally shared some rando's instead?

Does it matter who tweeted or that it's a tweet at all?

Once again you come here and talk about meta content, not basketball or Warriors. The message in the tweet is hugely important. And apparently that trade has some legs.

Stick to basketball and stop obsessing over how comments are formatted. :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors