Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Re: Joe Lacob says he is not trading Wiseman 

Post#41 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:39 pm

cpower wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:Wiseman made the mandated NBA salary for a rookie drafted at his spot, as far as I know. I really don't understand some of the arguments on this board. It's a multibillion dollar business, with lawyers, accountants, etc., and yet fans on this board seem to think they understand it better than the professionals.

If I understand this, you're complaining because Oubre wasn't as good as we hoped, and saying that we shouldn't draft high because the rookie contracts for high draft picks are too expensive.

Okay.

i am saying we should somehow make better use of 54m salary (Oubre+Wiseman+Wiggins) We are paying 54m for 1 starter and 0.5 playoff spot, thats really terrible financial management for the organization.

Hindsight is 20/20 and a well-used tactic on this board.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#42 » by Mob Byers » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:47 pm

cpower wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg

well we could have gotten Danny Green, Crowder, Morris , Jackson , Roco..for cheap but we wanted Wiggins and Oubre

Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,251

Post#43 » by Outside » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:02 pm

EvanZ wrote:Where are the guys who wanted to pretend like Bob Myers was running things? Where are you good folks at? :lol:

So Joe, would you say it’s unlikely you’ll trade Wiseman this offseason?

“Very unlikely,” Lacob said. “It would take a lot to make me and Bob (Myers) think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that, they don’t understand the cap, they don’t understand the economics of the NBA.

What makes you think that major decisions are made without consulting the owners? These decisions are made as a group. It's Myers job to get input from various people (Kerr, Kirk Lacob, whoever else), make arguments for or against roster moves, and convince Joe Lacob about the course of action to take. It's then Joe Lacob's prerogative to say yes or no.

Who thinks Myers just does things on his own? As the owner, Lacob can act like he's just as involved as Myers, but Myers is responsible for doing the bulk of the work and convincing Lacob which options are best and why. Lacob can then talk to the outside world like he has equal credit for everything, but that's just an owner stroking his own ego, as owners do. Every owner thinks they're the genius behind the operation.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#44 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:17 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
cpower wrote:
shazam_guy wrote:Wiseman made the mandated NBA salary for a rookie drafted at his spot, as far as I know. I really don't understand some of the arguments on this board. It's a multibillion dollar business, with lawyers, accountants, etc., and yet fans on this board seem to think they understand it better than the professionals.

If I understand this, you're complaining because Oubre wasn't as good as we hoped, and saying that we shouldn't draft high because the rookie contracts for high draft picks are too expensive.

Okay.

i am saying we should somehow make better use of 54m salary (Oubre+Wiseman+Wiggins) We are paying 54m for 1 starter and 0.5 playoff spot, thats really terrible financial management for the organization.

Hindsight is 20/20 and a well-used tactic on this board.

And it's a fantasy that that $54M can be simple/cheaply turned into a list of preferred players. Fans tend to assume that a player WANTS to play for any team that wants them, and that other teams will help them get there just because they want it.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#45 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:17 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
cpower wrote:"Very unlikely," Warriors owner Joe Lacob said on The TK Show podcast with The Athletic's Tim Kawakami. "It would take a lot to make me and Bob think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that -- they don't understand the cap [and] they don't understand the economics of the NBA.

"We need young players under good contracts to intersperse with what is already the highest payroll in the history of the NBA ... you just can't keep adding the luxury tax [and] the repeater [tax]. It's not possible. It's just not possible ... we have to sort of try to bridge a gap between now and the future."

Didn't Wiseman make more than Jordan Poole, Juan Tuscano Anderson, Eric Paschall, Damion Lee, Muchal Mulder and Marquis Chriss combined?

I don't think Joe knows what a small contract is.

"You can't just keep adding to the luxury tax".

That's rich coming from the guy that just spent 80 million dollars on "tsunami papi".

He knows. His argument is an example of appeal to ridicule. He is trying to convince the fans by triggering emotions. There are a billions of possible trades which do not increase the payroll that you can find in the T&T board.

Yup. And 99.999% of them are, "Warriors trade Wiggins and valuable assets for spare parts. Why for the Warriors: Warriors get out from under Wiggins contract, and save luxury tax." Great. I was really hoping we could get worse, while simultaneously losing our only paths to getting better.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:19 pm

Outside wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Where are the guys who wanted to pretend like Bob Myers was running things? Where are you good folks at? :lol:

“Very unlikely,” Lacob said. “It would take a lot to make me and Bob (Myers) think about doing anything like that. People who talk like that, they don’t understand the cap, they don’t understand the economics of the NBA.

What makes you think that major decisions are made without consulting the owners? These decisions are made as a group. It's Myers job to get input from various people (Kerr, Kirk Lacob, whoever else), make arguments for or against roster moves, and convince Joe Lacob about the course of action to take. It's then Joe Lacob's prerogative to say yes or no.

Who thinks Myers just does things on his own? As the owner, Lacob can act like he's just as involved as Myers, but Myers is responsible for doing the bulk of the work and convincing Lacob which options are best and why. Lacob can then talk to the outside world like he has equal credit for everything, but that's just an owner stroking his own ego, as owners do. Every owner thinks they're the genius behind the operation.

What's more, does anybody believe ANY GM has total control? Even above the owners?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Didn't Wiseman make more than Jordan Poole, Juan Tuscano Anderson, Eric Paschall, Damion Lee, Muchal Mulder and Marquis Chriss combined?

That's rich coming from the guy that just spent 80 million dollars on "tsunami papi".

He knows. His argument is an example of appeal to ridicule. He is trying to convince the fans by triggering emotions. There are a billions of possible trades which do not increase the payroll that you can find in the T&T board.

Yup. And 99.999% of them are, "Warriors trade Wiggins and valuable assets for spare parts. Why for the Warriors: Warriors get out from under Wiggins contract, and save luxury tax." Great. I was really hoping we could get worse, while simultaneously losing our only paths to getting better.

Don't go throwing logic in the face of emotion!

It's almost like Kerr, Myers, and Lacob haven't all said repeatedly that they were trying to build a team now and for the future and that there was a compromise in doing that. Keep the future assets while trying to maximize the current roster at the cost of the owners pockets. Drafting a project means you HAVE to have the coach, GM, and owner on the same page because patience is going to be needed. Fans don't need to live in reality ... I feel like I should find a gif of the fans booing Lacob over trading Monta, but have Lacob and Bogut holding 3 trophies and 2 fingers up.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#48 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

What you are saying is objectively wrong. You can easily find different trade scenarios in the first 5 pages of T&T.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect

Post#49 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:45 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:He knows. His argument is an example of appeal to ridicule. He is trying to convince the fans by triggering emotions. There are a billions of possible trades which do not increase the payroll that you can find in the T&T board.

It's almost like Kerr, Myers, and Lacob haven't all said repeatedly that they were trying to build a team now and for the future and that there was a compromise in doing that. Keep the future assets while trying to maximize the current roster at the cost of the owners pockets. Drafting a project means you HAVE to have the coach, GM, and owner on the same page because patience is going to be needed. Fans don't need to live in reality ... I feel like I should find a gif of the fans booing Lacob over trading Monta, but have Lacob and Bogut holding 3 trophies and 2 fingers up.

This is not what Lacob says. This is his strategy and his excuse for not adding talent is a bs argument. Teams can trade assets and trades do not necessarily increase the payroll last time I checked.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#50 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:He knows. His argument is an example of appeal to ridicule. He is trying to convince the fans by triggering emotions. There are a billions of possible trades which do not increase the payroll that you can find in the T&T board.

ahmetmekin wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Yup. And 99.999% of them are, "Warriors trade Wiggins and valuable assets for spare parts. Why for the Warriors: Warriors get out from under Wiggins contract, and save luxury tax." Great. I was really hoping we could get worse, while simultaneously losing our only paths to getting better.

This is not what Lacob says. This is his strategy and his excuse for not adding talent is a bs argument. Teams can trade assets and trades do not necessarily increase the payroll last time I checked.

Yes, and collecting lottery picks while you have prime Stephen Curry on your roster is going to get angry.

I wish they'd make another trade like Ellis for Bogut. I think they're too scared to make a big move like that without West telling them what to do.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#51 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:58 pm

Lacob's an over-stuffed PR guy. Myers tells him what the team's decisions are and Lacob does interviews and repeats it.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Post#52 » by cpower » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:01 pm

Outside wrote:

yes and no, Myers will submit requests to Lacob with reasons why this trade should or should not happen. Lacob as a owner should trust the GM and go with his decision 99% of the time. If he rejects all reasonable requests then as GM , Myers should find another job. This is basically what happens in big corp and why hierarchy exists, so that the top exe would not be overloaded with all the decisions and would delicate to his/her SMEs.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Post#53 » by cpower » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 pm

Mob Byers wrote:
cpower wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:we can't pay 350 million every year, dawg

well we could have gotten Danny Green, Crowder, Morris , Jackson , Roco..for cheap but we wanted Wiggins and Oubre

hey bob, Kirk is calling please pick up the phone in 1 min or your are fired!
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:03 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Yup. And 99.999% of them are, "Warriors trade Wiggins and valuable assets for spare parts. Why for the Warriors: Warriors get out from under Wiggins contract, and save luxury tax." Great. I was really hoping we could get worse, while simultaneously losing our only paths to getting better.

ahmetmekin wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Yes, and collecting lottery picks while you have prime Stephen Curry on your roster is going to get angry.

I wish they'd make another trade like Ellis for Bogut. I think they're too scared to make a big move like that without West telling them what to do.

Curry has all the leverage. There is an upcoming contract extension, he can dictate whatever he wants.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#55 » by FNQ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 pm

this board... stg

He's not going to say he's available. That would be stupid.
He's probably not going to be dealt because he did nothing but tank his value and is currently injured. No team is paying full price, so there's likely no deal to be had
Re: his comment about salary, I'd imagine that's to counter the stupid ideas of "Lets trade him for a max salary", not understanding that its not possible.

Here's what his statement doesn't mean:

- that Wiseman's untouchable
- that he's running basketball ops

Equally unreadable on both sides. And if the W's really are trying to win now and in the future, it is firstly hilariously egomaniacal and wont happen, and as pointed out, really exposes our scouting ability because there were players who look way, way better for today's NBA that we passed on for a kid that played a total of 3 non high-school games.
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:12 pm

FNQ wrote:this board... stg

He's probably not going to be dealt because he did nothing but tank his value and is currently injured. No team is paying full price, so there's likely no deal to be had
Re: his comment about salary, I'd imagine that's to counter the stupid ideas of "Lets trade him for a max salary", not understanding that its not possible.

Equally unreadable on both sides. And if the W's really are trying to win now and in the future, it is firstly hilariously egomaniacal and wont happen, and as pointed out, really exposes our scouting ability because there were players who look way, way better for today's NBA that we passed on for a kid that played a total of 3 non high-school games.

I don't know if you listened to the podcast. My conclusion was that Lacob wants to keep the picks and egomaniac is pretty accurate description for him.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#57 » by FNQ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:22 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:

I don't know if you listened to the podcast. My conclusion was that Lacob wants to keep the picks and egomaniac is pretty accurate description for him.

The more I think about it, the more I think "winning" for Lacob just means being a playoff team, because that's what will generate the revenue. Being a large-market Spurs is more profitable than being a typical peaks and valleys team. Which, if that is the case, is baffling that fans on this board actually *like* this idea.

But if he does actually think he can win rings now and start 'rebuilding' while winning those rings, then yes, he's lost his damn mind. Either way its an unserious position to take
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:27 pm

FNQ wrote:
ahmetmekin wrote:

The more I think about it, the more I think "winning" for Lacob just means being a playoff team, because that's what will generate the revenue. Being a large-market Spurs is more profitable than being a typical peaks and valleys team. Which, if that is the case, is baffling that fans on this board actually *like* this idea.

But if he does actually think he can win rings now and start 'rebuilding' while winning those rings, then yes, he's lost his damn mind. Either way its an unserious position to take

I agree with all of that.

This also from the same pod:
"“We need young players under good contracts to intersperse with what is already the highest payroll in the history of the NBA. … We have three max contracts … you just can’t keep adding the luxury tax, the repeater. It’s just not possible. So if we’re going to go this route of continuing to run with those guys, which we are, we have to intersperse some young talent and sort of try to bridge a gap between now and the future. And hopefully they can contribute over the next two years (and) intersperse a few veterans in there. And I think that’s the way to win. “Look at Phoenix, what has happened this year. They remind me of the 2015 Warriors. A couple of great veterans, Chris Paul and (Jae Crowder). You can’t win with all young guys and you’re not going to win with all old guys because they’re all going to get injured.”
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#59 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:38 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Outside wrote:

What's more, does anybody believe ANY GM has total control? Even above the owners?

LMAO

Y'all told me so many times Bob Myers was making the decisions. :lol:

Look at all the sad back tracking now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#60 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:39 pm

Sorry but why is he even talking? Who is he talking to? At some point you just have to take the man at his word. He personally loves James Wiseman. He always has. He told us so last year. This is not a smokescreen. It's who the man is.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors