ImageImageImageImageImage

Now that we know where our picks are landing, who do we target in FA?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Now that we know where our picks are landing, who do we target in FA? 

Post#1 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:08 am

A vet center and a playmaker looks to be the most urgent needs according to Myers. I'm guessing that's because he feels either Poole or who we draft are good enough to start? We have the MLE and vet minimums to use. And after looking at the free agent lists, it's slim pickings for playmakers. A lot of centers thought that we could get for the MLE, but might be had for vet minimums if we dangle a starting spot for them.

Kelly Olynyk - MLE
Iguodala - vet. minimum
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Re: Now that we know where our picks are landing, who do we target in FA? 

Post#2 » by mos_def » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 am

What would Olynyck's role be on the team exactly?
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,395

Post#3 » by SpreeChokeJob » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:17 am

Iguodala is no longer needed. He was there to contain Lebron, but that era is almost over.

This team has to prepare for the up and coming teams.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#4 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:24 am

mos_def wrote:What would Olynyck's role be on the team exactly?

Stretch 5 that Myers and Kerr have been talking about.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#5 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:25 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:Iguodala is no longer needed. He was there to contain Lebron, but that era is almost over.

Fair enough. But you don't think if he's willing to come over for the vet minimum, he has no value?
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#6 » by mos_def » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 am

killmongrel wrote:

To add to our developing center in Wiseman, our defense center in Looney, our small ball center in Draymond, and our second unit point center in Paschall?
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#7 » by killmongrel » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:37 am

mos_def wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

To add to our developing center in Wiseman, our defense center in Looney, our small ball center in Draymond, and our second unit point center in Paschall?

Hey, they said it. So I'm just thinking of who fits the bill. I personally think that just going with a rotation of Wiseman, Looney, and then adding another option for the vet minimum like Chriss, Robin Lopez, Dieng, etc, are good enough. But I think the reason they want a legit stretch 5 is because of Draymond.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#8 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:50 am

I'd be delighted to see Josh Hart signing with us.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#9 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:01 pm

killmongrel wrote:

I'd say he'd have a fair shot to start too.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:02 pm

I think Iguodala is going to come back, but to work in the front office, I think his playing days are mostly done, but if he plays it's going to be for as much money as he can get paid not the vet min.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Post#11 » by Impuniti » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:55 pm

mos_def wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

Dray plays the small ball 5 for 5-10m at most either way, unless it's the playoffs. It would be shared minutes with Wiseman and Looney.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#12 » by lars_rosenberg » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:33 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I think Iguodala is going to come back, but to work in the front office, I think his playing days are mostly done, but if he plays it's going to be for as much money as he can get paid not the vet min.
He's on his last leg, he's not getting anything more than the vet minimum. He wasn't good this season with the Heat.
Tbh I think there may be better options out there.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:55 pm

lars_rosenberg wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I think Iguodala is going to come back, but to work in the front office, I think his playing days are mostly done, but if he plays it's going to be for as much money as he can get paid not the vet min.
He's on his last leg, he's not getting anything more than the vet minimum. He wasn't good this season with the Heat.
Tbh I think there may be better options out there.

Yeah, thus my point that I think he's going to retire.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#14 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:37 am

killmongrel wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:Iguodala is no longer needed. He was there to contain Lebron, but that era is almost over.

Fair enough. But you don't think if he's willing to come over for the vet minimum, he has no value?

His value and whether he comes here for vet min are tied together. I think he can come here to be a mentor, but he won’t play in the regular season much and save him for postseason for special cases.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#15 » by killmongrel » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:31 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
killmongrel wrote:

His value and whether he comes here for vet min are tied together. I think he can come here to be a mentor, but he won’t play in the regular season much and save him for postseason for special cases.
I'd rather save the last spot on the roster for that than Smailagic.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#16 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:07 am

killmongrel wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
killmongrel wrote: Fair enough. But you don't think if he's willing to come over for the vet minimum, he has no value?

Honestly this team needs more roster spots or they have to be better evaluators of talent. In two years of pain, all they have is Wiggins, Poole, jta who are sure players who can contribute. That averages out to 1.5 players per year for all the roster spots they rotated in and out during those two years.

That can't be good for the Warrior's future. They need much more, but I haven't done the analysis as compared to other successful teams how many new rotation players are coming into the team than leaving. This has been consistent with what they have doing since they acquired KD and West left. They need to look at the Clippers, Hawks, and Nets. Same time frame they operated, but every year was significant improvement. Two of those three teams has our old front office guys too.

I think they need to look into improving the front office first before building the roster otherwise they are just putting the cart before the horse. In the KD minus Jerry West era till now, nothing makes me believe the people currently there can do what those three teams above did.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#17 » by killmongrel » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:12 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

Honestly this team needs more roster spots or they have to be better evaluators of talent. In two years of pain, all they have is Wiggins, Poole, jta who are sure players who can contribute. That averages out to 1.5 players per year for all the roster spots they rotated in and out during those two years.

That can't be good for the Warrior's future. They need much more, but I haven't done the analysis as compared to other successful teams how many new rotation players are coming into the team than leaving. This has been consistent with what they have doing since they acquired KD and West left. They need to look at the Clippers, Hawks, and Nets. Same time frame they operated, but every year was significant improvement. Two of those three teams has our old front office guys too.

I think they need to look into improving the front office first before building the roster otherwise they are just putting the cart before the horse. In the KD minus Jerry West era till now, nothing makes me believe the people currently there can do what those three teams above did.

What's funny is that the pick, before Poole, that turned out to be beneficial, Looney, almost flew out the door. So even when they do hit, they almost screw it up. Hehe.

I won't even talk about the players they did let go.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:14 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

While it's true the Warriors front office and coaching staff have lost significant talent, none of those teams were in the finals for 5 years or had the majority of the minutes spoken for or the cap issues the Warriors have. Those things make building the bench incredibly hard. A fan base with no patience for time spent developing players doesn't help much either.

Paschall should be on the list too.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran

Post#19 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:
killmongrel wrote: I'd rather save the last spot on the roster for that than Smailagic.

While it's true the Warriors front office and coaching staff have lost significant talent, none of those teams were in the finals for 5 years or had the majority of the minutes spoken for or the cap issues the Warriors have. Those things make building the bench incredibly hard. A fan base with no patience for time spent developing players doesn't help much either.

The most similar team out of those three were the Clippers. Had they proceeded down the traditional GM route, the Clippers would still be Clippers.

West came in and made some drastic moves. Not saying the Warriors should because I don’t trust them to make major moves. They are better off doing a player at a time like they have been doing based on their current front office.

And the other two teams had difficulties but they overcame it during the same time period. Atlanta being Atlanta and Nets had no picks no talent.

The Warriors on the other hand had a multigenerational talent player in Curry so at least the hard part of the equation that most teams had to solve was already solved.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:34 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

The most similar team out of those three were the Clippers. Had they proceeded down the traditional GM route, the Clippers would still be Clippers.

West came in and made some drastic moves. Not saying the Warriors should because I don’t trust them to make major moves. They are better off doing a player at a time like they have been doing based on their current front office.

And the other two teams had difficulties but they overcame it during the same time period. Atlanta being Atlanta and Nets had no picks no talent.

The Warriors on the other hand had a multigenerational talent player in Curry so at least the hard part of the equation that most teams had to solve was already solved.

None of them started with 4 max contracts and a record cap number. Those teams did tear down rebuilds, is that what you want the Warriors to do?

Return to Golden State Warriors