ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Giants 2021

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,394

Re: OT: Giants 2021 

Post#181 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Dodgers are going with short time on their rotation with Bauer, Price, and Kershaw on the payroll for $93M ... holy ****.
If the Giants lost last night, they probably throw out Webb on short rest too
tal57
Junior
And1: 92

Post#182 » by tal57 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:42 pm

I don't know how the Giants pulling it off. I didn't think 2010 miracle was ever possible to repeat.

The funny thing is they not only have to fight the odds and offensive slump which I think was somewhat influenced by injury to Belt. But fight through MLB who are very interested for the Dodgers to advance. Barrett did not call that BS of the game because he is so incompetent or out of the blue. He knows what MLB craves.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#183 » by tarantism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:10 am

I AM SO STRESSED OUT

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#184 » by shazam_guy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:47 pm

My bet would be another nail-biter, low score, squeaker for game 5.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#185 » by Samurai » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:55 pm

shazam_guy wrote:My bet would be another nail-biter, low score, squeaker for game 5.

I suspect you're right but my poor heart would prefer us scoring 7 runs over the first 2 innings and just enjoy a laugher at LA's expense the rest of the way! Mainly cuz I will be at the park and I want to keep shouting "Beat LA", which is much easier being up 7-0!!!
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#186 » by tarantism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:17 pm

shazam_guy wrote:My bet would be another nail-biter, low score, squeaker for game 5.
Seems likely. Hopefully Webb brings his A game. They should have Gausman ready to go from the pen if not. Our relievers looked awful last night.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#187 » by Chupchup » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:35 pm

Sure hope so as the Giants bats haven't been able to keep up with the Dodgers.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#188 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:10 am

They may have one reliable starter, though I don't now if Webb can get the Dodgers to swing at his slider and sinker again.

It's really remarkable that they won 107 games with this rotation, which has done well most of the season but was kind of limping to the finish.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by shazam_guy » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:38 pm

They're a lot better stats-wise than they seem to us nervous fans. Same with the bullpen.

Fingers crossed. It's the bridge of Khazad-Dum tonight. Onward!
Chupchup
Junior
And1: 95

Post#190 » by Chupchup » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:43 am

Ahh man.. good year. Don't think anyone expected a 107 win season + playoffs. I think we missed Belt .. more than Dodgers missed Muncy. Oh well.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#191 » by HiRez » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:44 am

Chupchup wrote:Ahh man.. good year. Don't think anyone expected a 107 win season + playoffs.

Good year but probably the most brutal end to it I can remember, or imagine.

Not just overall, but they ended the season of a 2-1 deciding game with a 107-win team and a 106-win team on a very iffy check swing? Really, MLB? Booooo.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by shazam_guy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:51 am

Great year. Totally unexpected. Yeah, it would have been nice to have Belt, but we're on the up and climbing. Dodgers have to keep paying all those players. It's not a coincidence that they've got an even bigger payroll than the Yankees (by about 15 million bucks) they are a two-part team -- players Zaidi found, and players they outright bought from having the most money.

Ah, well. I wish we could have played the Dodgers later in the playoffs. I think we would have beat them handily, but we came right in against their very good starting pitching and never quite got on track.

Well done, SF. I enjoyed every minute, except maybe the last.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#193 » by Badly Browned » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:59 am

Giants bats completely abandoned them this series. Just unable to get hits with RISP. And of course their hottest bat, Belt, broke his thumb at the very end of the season, welp.

And it's all capped off by a brutal call to end the game/series. I'm so annoyed.

The good news is that Webb looks friggin legit and he's only 24yo.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by tarantism » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:46 am

Any ref in any sport knows you let the players decide the outcome in that moment. What a bunch of bull.

a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#195 » by a8bil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:26 pm

There was very iffy umpiring out there all game. I dont really have a vested interest in MLB anymore, but some of those calls behind the plate just left me scratching my head. That said, the Dodgers pitchers were really good at nibbling the edges of the strike zone, never really giving the Giants hitters much to get ahold of...except for that pitch to Ruf.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,238

Post#196 » by CS707 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Not even a Giants fan but that was super weak... especially given the circumstances.
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,859

Post#197 » by 510TWSS » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:18 pm

well they got screwed last night...

anyways
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#198 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Even if they didn't call strike 3 on that check swing, the odds were against the Giants tying the score.

10 runs in 5 games tells the story. It's a wonder they took it to 5 games and the 9th inning of the fifth game.

Actually it's miraculous that they won 107 games, because they only had one reliable starter by the end of the season. No other starter besides Webb could be trusted to go 5 innings in a playoffs game. That's not only against the Dodgers but the Braves and probably the Red Sox and Astros too.

So the Giants massively overachieved and we should appreciate the season they had.

Now Zaidi has a lot of decisions on free agents in the roster. Does he believe this season can be repeated or sustained with this roster?

That would mean paying players like Gausman, Bryant, Belt and also probably Wood and a couple of others.

He probably doesn't believe this roster can sustain the kind of success they had this year. Otherwise, he would have gone all-in at the trade deadline. Imagine if he traded for Scherzer and Trey Turner. Those guys kept the Dodgers in the race, probably one of the most lopsided in-season trade in MLB history.

So I'm guessing he won't pay out big money to keep many of the key free agents on the roster.

But I wouldn't think we'd see Luciano next season, since Crawford got an extension for a couple of years.

Posey has a team option next year so probably not Bart taking over either since Posey had a good year mostly.

They don't really have any prospects for 1B or 3B so who knows what they'll do for Bryant and Belt. They're going to want big money and they may not be worth it, especially Belt getting a longer contract, though he probably had a career year until he got injured.

Zaidi will probably try to get away with 1 or 2-year deals or look for other reclamation projects.

I would think the Giants had a great year for attendance and local TV ratings so revenues should be highest in 3-4 years. But they may not be ready to increase payroll yet.

Things may have improved but Giants are not like the Rays yet, with prospects who can contribute right away.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#199 » by HiRez » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm

Ah well, now I don't have to worry about the Giants games getting in the way of Warriors. Let the season begin!
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#200 » by tarantism » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:47 pm

wco81 wrote:Even if they didn't call strike 3 on that check swing, the odds were against the Giants tying the score.

10 runs in 5 games tells the story. It's a wonder they took it to 5 games and the 9th inning of the fifth game.

Actually it's miraculous that they won 107 games, because they only had one reliable starter by the end of the season. No other starter besides Webb could be trusted to go 5 innings in a playoffs game. That's not only against the Dodgers but the Braves and probably the Red Sox and Astros too.

So the Giants massively overachieved and we should appreciate the season they had.

Now Zaidi has a lot of decisions on free agents in the roster. Does he believe this season can be repeated or sustained with this roster?

That would mean paying players like Gausman, Bryant, Belt and also probably Wood and a couple of others.

He probably doesn't believe this roster can sustain the kind of success they had this year. Otherwise, he would have gone all-in at the trade deadline. Imagine if he traded for Scherzer and Trey Turner. Those guys kept the Dodgers in the race, probably one of the most lopsided in-season trade in MLB history.

So I'm guessing he won't pay out big money to keep many of the key free agents on the roster.

But I wouldn't think we'd see Luciano next season, since Crawford got an extension for a couple of years.

Posey has a team option next year so probably not Bart taking over either since Posey had a good year mostly.

They don't really have any prospects for 1B or 3B so who knows what they'll do for Bryant and Belt. They're going to want big money and they may not be worth it, especially Belt getting a longer contract, though he probably had a career year until he got injured.

Zaidi will probably try to get away with 1 or 2-year deals or look for other reclamation projects.

I would think the Giants had a great year for attendance and local TV ratings so revenues should be highest in 3-4 years. But they may not be ready to increase payroll yet.

Things may have improved but Giants are not like the Rays yet, with prospects who can contribute right away.
For me, I think they bring back Bryant and Wood while letting Gausman, Longo and Belt go. They have enough guys that can platoon at first base that I think they balk at giving big money to Belt. Longo looks done, and Bryant can slide right in to the regular third base role and provide above average to plus defense while contributing more offensively.

Gausman really fell off a cliff down the stretch. Unless he takes a massive discount - and why would he on the wrong side of 30 and in line to make 15-20m per year - it seems like we look to replace him with somebody else, especially considering Webbs emergence as a potential ace.

With Posey sticking around (he should retire a Giant as far as I'm concerned) I think we let Casali go and give Bart a chance to work the days that Posey gets off throughout the season. He should at least provide as much production as Casali, if not more.

Return to Golden State Warriors