ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 14th pick, the Golden State Warriors select Moses Moody

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Re: With the 14th pick, the Golden State Warriors select Moses Moody 

Post#261 » by GunnerWRX » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:24 pm

JK surprised by being able to play defense. Before the draft it wasn’t believed to be a “strength” of him.

Moody sort of matched pre-draft expectations, except for his 3 not falling in real NBA games. He is still reportedly shooting well in practices/scrimmages and scoring well in G League, so I’m not worried. His time will come.

Kuminga sort of surprised on the positive side. Still raw but no one expected him to be a rotation player on a contending team. He could defend consistently, and due to his size and athleticism, he got playing time. He is gradually looking like a rotation player on a contender, ahead of schedule.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#262 » by shazam_guy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:15 pm

This is not a response to GunnerWRX, who makes lots of sense here, or to any of the other posts in particular.

I can't help notice how many authoritative remarks get made on this board without any information whatsoever on what happens behind the scenes in practice and the locker room, or how the staff rate the players post-game and on what metrics, or what Kerr and the other coaches actually want from their players -- especially rookies -- and why they choose to play whoever they choose to play for however many minutes. It's a complicated business, folks, and we are all outsiders, no matter how many games we watch.

Honestly, it's like commenting on surgery without being a doctor or even having read the patient's chart. Non-doctors can certainly say, "I'm unhappy the patient died", or "Hooray, the patient lived!", but beyond that, what do any of us actually know? If I were a doctor, I would laugh at a real estate salesman or a GameStop clerk telling me how I should use my scalpel and forceps. Especially when the patient is very clearly alive.

I guess that's what people like about sports, being able to kibitz without actual experience or insider knowledge on a multi-billion dollar industry, but I just wish a few more fans would say, "I wish the Warriors would..." instead of insisting "they should," or more often, "they MUST". I'm not trying to silence speculation, I just get annoyed by the brain-dead certainty I see all too often based on nothing more than sports-fan-level knowledge.

I realize this is my cranky old guy take, and I apologize for it. Sort of. Okay, not really.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#263 » by michaelm » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:11 pm

:evil: go
shazam_guy wrote:This is not a response to GunnerWRX, who makes lots of sense here, or to any of the other posts in particular.

I can't help notice how many authoritative remarks get made on this board without any information whatsoever on what happens behind the scenes in practice and the locker room, or how the staff rate the players post-game and on what metrics, or what Kerr and the other coaches actually want from their players -- especially rookies -- and why they choose to play whoever they choose to play for however many minutes. It's a complicated business, folks, and we are all outsiders, no matter how many games we watch.

Honestly, it's like commenting on surgery without being a doctor or even having read the patient's chart. Non-doctors can certainly say, "I'm unhappy the patient died", or "Hooray, the patient lived!", but beyond that, what do any of us actually know? If I were a doctor, I would laugh at a real estate salesman or a GameStop clerk telling me how I should use my scalpel and forceps. Especially when the patient is very clearly alive.

I guess that's what people like about sports, being able to kibitz without actual experience or insider knowledge on a multi-billion dollar industry, but I just wish a few more fans would say, "I wish the Warriors would..." instead of insisting "they should," or more often, "they MUST". I'm not trying to silence speculation, I just get annoyed by the brain-dead certainty I see all too often based on nothing more than sports-fan-level knowledge.

I realize this is my cranky old guy take, and I apologize for it. Sort of. Okay, not really.

I am with you in general, but even the best professionals sometimes make mistakes, which sure can be hard to avoid given particular circumstances. Oubre and how they used him was obviously a mistake, not that they had many options, similarly Wiseman probably, although maybe he was staring to get it just before his injury and we will see this when he returns. Kerr can be a great coach in terms of man management and offensive schemes and make wrong decisions in regard to rotations. This forum exists for us pretend to be GMs anyway as you imply.

Negativity particularly in game threads in regard to games GSW were winning did annoy me as well when the team was fairly indisputably the best team in the NBA, especially in 2017 when the team was historically great.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#264 » by watch1958 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:40 pm

With the extra minutes due to Draymond’s injury, Moody should get the 15-18 minutes that Wiggins sits every game.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#265 » by TB » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:43 pm

I think we will see Moody make a quick jump from non-existent to good rotation player as soon as he gets consistent minutes (my guess is that won't happen until next year, but I personally think he'd make this jump his rookie year if given the minutes).

He's already doing almost exactly what Lee does in that role, except for 1 key aspect... hitting 3's at a 35+ clip. Outside of that stat, they are virtually identical in terms of role, usage, raw stats. And the thing is, he's hit 35-40% from 3 everywhere except his NBA outings, so its just a matter of time and practice and confidence. For everyone that is saying he doesn't look good or shouldn't play, if he was hitting even 30+% we would all be saying how solid and savvy he was already looking. Again, he's a handful of made 3s from being a better version of Lee.

So to me, you have two identical players (almost... but its my speculation that Moody 3's will start falling with more minutes), only one is 29 and one is 19 with a much higher upside.

Warriors are in a fun but tricky spot where GP2/Kuminga/Moody/Wiseman may all be equal or better production than some vets like Iggy, Lee, JTA, Belly by end of year. So far I think Kerr has done a pretty good job getting those 3 guys minutes with GSW or SCW while keeping the vets warm as well. But its probably time already that GP2/Kuminga fully take Iggy/JTA roles (and I think Kerr has done that for the most part).
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#266 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 pm

watch1958 wrote:With the extra minutes due to Draymond’s injury, Moody should get the 15-18 minutes that Wiggins sits every game.

Why? The Warriors are still trying to win games.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#267 » by watch1958 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:38 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
watch1958 wrote:With the extra minutes due to Draymond’s injury, Moody should get the 15-18 minutes that Wiggins sits every game.

And increased minutes for Beli & Lee & Cheese are going to help them? Huh, I must have been watching the wrong games the last couple of weeks.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#268 » by Samurai » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm

Other than distance shooting, Moody has not really disappointed me so far, with the obvious caveat of very small sample size. He is shooting over 50% at every distance except beyond the 3-point line. He is making 80% of his FT's (hey JTA - are you listening?), which should be expected since he was an 81% shooter in college. While he has made a few defensive errors which I would expect from a 19 year old, his overall defense (both on-ball and off-ball) has been pretty solid. He's been careful with the ball and hasn't made a lot of turnovers. He is shooting 37% on 3's in the G-league and shot 36% in college so I expect his poor distance shooting in the NBA to improve. I think there is more to like than dislike in him so far.
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#269 » by shazam_guy » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 am

I've got a crazy idea -- let's be patient. Moody has barely played any meaningful minutes, he's a young rookie with one year of college, and we have a bad history on this board of demanding that players be shipped out when they are not instant rookie stars. (See Poole, Klay, Draymond, and even Curry to an extent.)
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#270 » by and1GS » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:16 am

Yeah he hasn't even played 200 minutes this season. He hasn't necessarily earned more than that, but I also don't think he's Jacob Evans out there. I do worry a bit about his ceiling short term on a championship contender, but haven't seen anything concerning. I think we are still in a state of shock that the raw, multi-year project Special K was so NBA ready while the 'sure thing' needs more polish. If anything this just re-affirms my point from the draft that you can't pick for immediate need. They're all kids and most won't be usable pieces on great teams right away.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#271 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 am

shazam_guy wrote:I've got a crazy idea -- let's be patient. Moody has barely played any meaningful minutes, he's a young rookie with one year of college, and we have a bad history on this board of demanding that players be shipped out when they are not instant rookie stars. (See Poole, Klay, Draymond, and even Curry to an extent.)

We should have traded Steph not Monta!
watch1958
General Manager

Post#272 » by watch1958 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:55 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

Nice to see how that worked out against Indy.

If he doesn’t merit playing in a game like that, then why not have him play with Santa Cruz last night?
watch1958
General Manager

Post#273 » by watch1958 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:32 pm

Moody's last G-League game was the 14th. Since then, he has played about 7 minutes in one game with the Dubs. In that time, SC has had several games. Now they SC is on the road until February.

I wonder what the plan is for his development over the next couple of weeks, since he isn't prepared to play with the Warriors.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#274 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:42 pm

watch1958 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Nice to see how that worked out against Indy.

If he doesn’t merit playing in a game like that, then why not have him play with Santa Cruz last night?

you can't tell? Lee and Chiozza and JTA are winning us a lot of games!
clyde21
RealGM

Post#275 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:44 pm

xdrta+ wrote:

can you explain to the people at home how say, if we give some of Lee's or Chiozza's mins to Moody, how that would change the trajectory of those wins? :lol:
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,438

Post#276 » by Big J » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:12 am

clyde21 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

can you explain to the people at home how say, if we give some of Lee's or Chiozza's mins to Moody, how that would change the trajectory of those wins? :lol:

Cheese is cheeks, but he's Atkinsons boy, so Kerr may be playing him to keep Kenny happy. Lee has paid his dues, and is Curry's bro in law. He ain't gettin benched.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#277 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:57 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Cheese is cheeks, but he's Atkinsons boy, so Kerr may be playing him to keep Kenny happy. Lee has paid his dues, and is Curry's bro in law. He ain't gettin benched.

that doesnt answer my question
Big J
General Manager

Post#278 » by Big J » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:03 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It's all about team chemistry. Playing Moody over the vets may not change 1 win here or there, but overall it keeps the vets on the team happy and keeps the rook hungry. Look at the big picture man.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#279 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:16 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:

It's all about team chemistry. Playing Moody over the vets may not change 1 win here or there, but overall it keeps the vets on the team happy and keeps the rook hungry. Look at the big picture man.

that fact that you're arguing for Lee/Chiozza minutes over Moody while simultaneously talking about the 'big picture' is fkn hysterical
Big J
General Manager

Post#280 » by Big J » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:30 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

that fact that you're arguing for Lee/Chiozza minutes over Moody while simultaneously talking about the 'big picture' is fkn hysterical

It's only hysterical if you don't understand how this league works. The stars on this team have been around Lee for years, they have seen the work that he's put in, and Curry has a personal relationship with him. Moody hasn't done enough to show that he is worth disrupting team chemistry for. At least Kuminga has shown some flashes in the minutes he's been given.

Return to Golden State Warriors