ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
Posts: 8,133
And1: 426
Joined: May 23, 2004
       

Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:59 am

Welcome to the Bay, Jonathan!

User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,171
And1: 16,387
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 am

CBS gave out so many A+ grades.. throws the curve off
Really wish the foe feature applied to PMs
Keepin it classless
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 42,211
And1: 11,223
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#4 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:35 am

I give this thread an A+
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?
mos_def
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,908
And1: 267
Joined: Jan 30, 2006
     

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#5 » by mos_def » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:44 am

When i saw Giddey picked at 6 i was like, this is going to happen. Im happy we got kuminga. Im even more happy it wasnt Giddey
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 42,211
And1: 11,223
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#6 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 am

JK looks super nervous in that interview. Seems like a pretty humble sort of kid, which is a HUGE tick in the box for me.
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?
Mob Byers
Pro Prospect
Posts: 993
And1: 723
Joined: Apr 22, 2021
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#7 » by Mob Byers » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 am

Coxy wrote:JK looks super nervous in that interview. Seems like a pretty humble sort of kid, which is a HUGE tick in the box for me.


I think he's still working on his English a bit too

Let's see if he puts in the work!
SpreeChokeJob
Rookie
Posts: 1,006
And1: 578
Joined: Jun 30, 2017

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#8 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 am

mos_def wrote:When i saw Giddey picked at 6 i was like, this is going to happen. Im happy we got kuminga. Im even more happy it wasnt Giddey


Just watched highlight of Giddey. Gave me Dunleavy flashbacks. PTSD.

Primo might be a sleeper. His shot is pure. Under Pop development he may grow into something more.

Kuminga should shadow Draymond and he will be ready by mid next year. He isn't an offensive player and forces too much, need to make sure those bad habits don't settle. He has good vision.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,171
And1: 16,387
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#9 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:17 am

Kuminga is the kind of raw talent that you dont put in a box... you let him develop. It isnt ideal to our current situation but telling him to be Draymond or whoever isnt going to work out well.. he's an 18 year old with a huge body and great body control. Lets let him play without limits as a rookie, off the bench, and then figure out his trajectory/fit with the team as we go.
Really wish the foe feature applied to PMs
Keepin it classless
User avatar
WESCO
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,820
And1: 586
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Face Palm

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#10 » by WESCO » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:22 am

Rooting for ya JK.
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 42,211
And1: 11,223
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#11 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 am

We need to make sure Kelly Oubre is far away from the team now with Kuminga and Moody coming in. His dreamy eyes will draw them in and he'll teach them how to play like a potato.

What's the furthest team away from San Francisco? Boston? Let's trade Kelly there.
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,171
And1: 16,387
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#12 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 am

Coxy wrote:We need to make sure Kelly Oubre is far away from the team now with Kuminga and Moody coming in. His dreamy eyes will draw them in and he'll teach them how to play like a potato.

What's the furthest team away from San Francisco? Boston? Let's trade Kelly there.


Trade him straight up for Jessup
Really wish the foe feature applied to PMs
Keepin it classless
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 42,211
And1: 11,223
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#13 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:26 am

FNQ wrote:
Coxy wrote:We need to make sure Kelly Oubre is far away from the team now with Kuminga and Moody coming in. His dreamy eyes will draw them in and he'll teach them how to play like a potato.

What's the furthest team away from San Francisco? Boston? Let's trade Kelly there.


Trade him straight up for Jessup


I like it, because that would mean Kelly is in Australia, and I can hurl expletives at him when he comes to Brisbane to play.

2 birds, 1 stone, that's using your noodle FNQ.
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?
SpreeChokeJob
Rookie
Posts: 1,006
And1: 578
Joined: Jun 30, 2017

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#14 » by SpreeChokeJob » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:31 am

FNQ wrote:Kuminga is the kind of raw talent that you dont put in a box... you let him develop. It isnt ideal to our current situation but telling him to be Draymond or whoever isnt going to work out well.. he's an 18 year old with a huge body and great body control. Lets let him play without limits as a rookie, off the bench, and then figure out his trajectory/fit with the team as we go.


To me he already has all of Draymond physical tools and some of his preliminary skills. As to Draymond's other intangibles like intelligence, leadership, intensity, that remains to be seen. If he wants to be more offensive in nature, he needs to put in more skills work. But right out of the gate, his natural abilities matches what Draymond does in my opinion, nearly one to one which is why I wanted him to join this team.
User avatar
Coxy
RealGM
Posts: 42,211
And1: 11,223
Joined: Jun 17, 2008
Location: Brought to you by the Splash Fam
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#15 » by Coxy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 am

My comparison for Kuminga, at this stage, is Luol Deng.
Little Digger wrote:Can the Warriors file a lawsuit against Oubre?
GMstatus
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,995
And1: 69
Joined: Jul 15, 2004
Location: Back on da block!
Contact:

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#16 » by GMstatus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 am

JK reminds me of Mikael Pietrus.
fromthetop321 on 11/14/15 wrote:Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.

antistrat on 11/14/15 wrote:Curry is intimidated by LeBron the same way KD is intimidated by LeBron.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,171
And1: 16,387
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#17 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 am

Just heard something interesting - if Kuminga went to college, where they presumably would be more organized, have veterans on court, and play more offensive/defensive sets, he would have looked better, and probably been a guaranteed top 5 pick
Really wish the foe feature applied to PMs
Keepin it classless
User avatar
whatisacenter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 5,959
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#18 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 am

FNQ wrote:Just heard something interesting - if Kuminga went to college, where they presumably would be more organized, have veterans on court, and play more offensive/defensive sets, he would have looked better, and probably been a guaranteed top 5 pick


Yeah, I think the G league ignite team kind of played like an AAU team with the players given free rein to show their individual talents rather than display their team game.

I feel a lot better about adding two more young players to Wiseman with the recent coaching hires. I can't wait to see these guys on the court!
User avatar
Mylie10
RealGM
Posts: 41,240
And1: 9,608
Joined: Sep 16, 2005
Location: * Chokers! *
Contact:
     

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#19 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 am

Mob Byers wrote:
Coxy wrote:JK looks super nervous in that interview. Seems like a pretty humble sort of kid, which is a HUGE tick in the box for me.


I think he's still working on his English a bit too

Let's see if he puts in the work!


He went to high school in the states
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
User avatar
whatisacenter
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,768
And1: 5,959
Joined: Aug 05, 2013
 

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#20 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:15 am

Mob Byers wrote:
Coxy wrote:JK looks super nervous in that interview. Seems like a pretty humble sort of kid, which is a HUGE tick in the box for me.


I think he's still working on his English a bit too

Let's see if he puts in the work!


I know he was probably just trying to answer the questions correctly but I really liked what he had to say about just wanting to work and play good defense while letting the offense come to him.

Return to Golden State Warriors