Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,436

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1341 » by Big J » Sat Apr 2, 2022 11:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
i get it, but he's been calling Kuminga Jeff Green this entire time now he's saying it's dumb?

You're bringing up old **** man, get with the times.

so couple of months ago it was a good comp but now it's dumb?

I said that like a year ago before he was even drafted and in the dubs system.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1342 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 2, 2022 11:34 pm

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
You're bringing up old **** man, get with the times.

:lol:
Big J
General Manager

Post#1343 » by Big J » Sun Apr 3, 2022 12:07 am

clyde21 wrote:
Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

:lol:

WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#1344 » by WESCO » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:53 am

Big J wrote:Bill Simmons just compared this kid to Kobe & Kerr used Rookie Giannis as a comp back in Jan. Franz doesn't get comped to those guys in his wildest dream.

Bill Simmons DID NOT compare him to Kobe in terms of skill. It was in regards to usage in playoffs

Don’t panic when I say this, because I’m not comparing him to Kobe," Simmons said. "They’re not even the same guy, but Kobe his first year, remember when the Lakers were just like, ‘F--k it,’ and they threw him out in the playoffs and he was playing in that Utah [Jazz] series and was all of a sudden really involved? And it kind of made sense, but it backfired on them? But [the Lakers] were just like, ‘This guy’s special. Let’s just get him the miles.

“I think [the Warriors] are going to do that with Kuminga in the playoffs.”
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#1345 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:49 am

A nice end to the season for the kid, looked very strong in the last 2 games. Tonight 18 pts, 5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 2 pf. 4-6 from 2, 3-4 from 3, +21. Made some nice reads on offense drawing defenders inside and kicking out to shooters.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#1346 » by marthafokker » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:22 pm

I love the kid's stroke from 3. When he is wide open, it is almost money now. It looks like a better percentage than Wiggins now.

I think Dubbs will not resign Wiggins, if he asks for too much, with Kuminga waiting with one more year of experience.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#1347 » by SpreeS » Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:54 pm

marthafokker wrote:I love the kid's stroke from 3. When he is wide open, it is almost money now. It looks like a better percentage than Wiggins now.

I think Dubbs will not resign Wiggins, if he asks for too much, with Kuminga waiting with one more year of experience.

I would love to have wings-forwards rotation Green/Wiggs/Kuminga, but next year will show everthing.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#1348 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:19 pm

Final stats for Kuminga look damn good especially considering how he started the season. Led rookies in PTS/36, TS%, and WS/48. A lot of folks (including myself) were worried about his shooting, but he ended up at 60% 2P%, 34% 3P% and 68% FT%, pretty much exceeded my expectations in all shooting areas. Obviously has some work to do on rebounding, avoiding fouls, and help defense, but he's making some progress there too. Haven't looked at the splits but my sense is his rebounding and assist rates got a bit better towards the end of the season, he's starting to round out his game. Can't wait to see what he looks like with another year of playing (including some playoff experience).

2021-22 NBA Rookie Stats:
Big J
General Manager

Post#1349 » by Big J » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:57 pm

Anyone remember Richard Dumas on the 93 Suns finals team? I could see Kuminga being that dude in the playoffs.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#1350 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:01 pm

Kuminga is Hakeem if the "Dream" was a guard.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,799

Post#1351 » by floppymoose » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:27 am

Turns out we didn't need Wagner to win this year. I'm hoping JK can reach his potential. I still like the pick.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1352 » by Little Digger » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:19 pm

+31 last night
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
osx28
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#1353 » by osx28 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:48 pm

Is he struggling playing the SF? I think he looks more comfortable as PF. I don't know if he can play alongside Wisemand and J. Green in the second unit
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#1354 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:24 pm

I kind of want him to emulate the game of iguodala. They have some similarities: insane athleticism, strong body, nice defensive tools/instincts, likes to handle the ball in the open court..

I think JK has a greater potential as a scorer, but I actually think he's best suited to be a high level glue guy ala AI.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#1355 » by sonnyhill » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:01 am

Shawn Marion?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#1356 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:10 am

Jeremi grant
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#1357 » by sonnyhill » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:29 am

[youtube];ab_channel=LetsGoWarriors[/youtube]

Read on Twitter

https://theathletic.com/3071699/2022/01/15/steve-kerr-related-jonathan-kuminga-to-shawn-marion-the-warriors-want-him-to-play-similarly/

Steve Kerr related Jonathan Kuminga to Shawn Marion. The Warriors want him to play similarly

By Anthony Slater
Jan 14, 2022

CHICAGO — Jonathan Kuminga was born in 2002. He wasn’t alive during the Bulls’ dynasty run. But he has the internet. He’s seen Michael Jordan highlights. He’s been told that his first NBA coach, Steve Kerr, was part of those Jordan teams. So he came to Kerr with questions Friday morning.

“How many championships did you win?” Kuminga asked. “This was my first time playing in the building. Is it the same building?”

Kuminga moves like an adult on the basketball court, but within the NBA world, he’s a basketball infant, knowing little about the past, learning rudimentary lessons in the present as everyone dreams of his future.

There was another conversation between Kuminga and Kerr recently, days before he exploded for 25 points, three assists and three blocks in Chicago on Friday night, the eye-popping aspect of the Warriors’ 138-96 get-well blowout win over the Bulls.

Kerr brought film to this meeting. He wanted to show Kuminga several examples of the type of half-effort plays that still have him on the fringes of the Warriors’ every night rotation. Too many times this season, Kuminga’s focus and energy have been too spotty.

This late December fast break sequence against the Kings is one of a hundred examples. Kuminga is in the left corner when Sacramento gets the defensive rebound. His job is to sprint back in transition and get into the mix. He instead floats past half court, watches a pass sail over his head to Harrison Barnes and then wanders somewhere near the left block but not close enough to enter the rebounding mix.

What exactly would you say he is doing on this defensive play? He’s not rotating over to help hard on the Chimezie Metu drive, he isn’t banging with Tristan Thompson inside and he’s not even close enough to Buddy Hield to take away the corner 3. He’s just kind of watching the action in no man’s land.

Watch 100 Kuminga minutes from his rookie season and you’ll find several similar sequences. Watch the right 20 minutes and you’ll see shades of a potential two-way superstar. But the Warriors’ veterans will point out when it’s going well for Kuminga, it’s when he is flying around with an attentive ferocity, “using his gifts,” as Kerr said.

“You can kind of throw him out there with any lineup,” Steph Curry said. “It’s just effort and intensity at the end of the day for him. He’s so athletic and has unbelievable upside. But what he does well shines when he plays hard.”

Watch this fourth-quarter play from the Bulls game. Kuminga made 10 of his 12 shots, but this is one of the two misses. He bricks a 3 from the deep left corner. But instead of jogging back upcourt, despite an insurmountable lead, Kuminga doesn’t break stride, reads how the play is materializing and strides into the lane to wipe away a should-be layup.

Not many humans on this planet can get to that block, but the highlight is only made because of the hustle that came before it. Kuminga’s entire highlight package from Friday night in Chicago (click here) is worth viewing. He had three smart assists, a pair of confident 3s and four breathtaking dunks.

But look at one of the simpler of his 10 buckets. It comes in the second quarter during the Warriors’ breakaway run. Jordan Poole scoops up a steal. Kuminga is out in front as the lead Warrior on a 3-on-2 break. He runs the floor hard, finds his way to the left block and eventually gets fed for an up-and-under layup.

The grandest vision of a 2026 version of Kuminga might look something like Pascal Siakam or, if the stroke and handle improve, a Paul George. He seems to have superstar wing ability, if everything develops well. But his game is still unrefined and, on a title contender, the Warriors want him to focus on a simpler template and build out.

What’s a past player comparison? Kerr has one — Shawn Marion.

“The only thing we’ve been emphasizing is running the floor hard,” Kerr said. “Using his gifts, both ways. Every time, sprint the floor hard. When I was in Phoenix as a GM, we had Shawn Marion. One of the best athletes in the league. Every night, he’d just run the floor hard. He wasn’t the greatest 3-point shooter, wasn’t the greatest passer, wasn’t the greatest ballhandler. But he was an All-Star because he just played hard. By running the floor, all kinds of good stuff would happen.

“That’s the first step for JK. To understand his gifts are so unique athletically. They jump out even in an NBA game. Taking advantage of those gifts now allows him to build a foundation, then from there, his shooting will improve, understanding of the game will improve, overall skill level will improve. But what I liked about the last two nights is it’s the hardest I’ve seen him run the floor on consecutive nights.”

Curry had an interesting quote late in his press conference Friday night in Chicago. He was asked about the grander plan of developing this young core under him and the idea that it might elongate his career. In his always diplomatic way, he kind of brushed it off as anything that he — in the middle of a title chase — needs to worry about right now.

“Who knows what the next year, two years, three years looks like,” Curry said. “The organization’s trying to do a good job of balancing all that. But us as players? It doesn’t really come up.”

Translation: It isn’t Curry’s job to worry about how best to make Kuminga become an All-NBA wing in the 2026 season. He is only comfortable with Kuminga being on the floor right now, chasing this title, if he embraces those Marion traits and plays with a relentless style.

“It’s on him to maintain focus on what’s going to make him better,” Curry said. “Whether he’s playing 25 minutes, whether he’s in the G League, whether he’s coming in for spot minutes, that effort that he showed tonight was amazing. He needs to do that every time he has an opportunity to play because every rep he gets is important.”
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#1358 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:52 pm

Kuminga played very well yesterday. Definitely one of the best games he had wearing a Warriors jersey.

Some great dunks in the highlights, don't miss it!

30 minutes
17 points (6/7 FG, 1/2 3pt, 4/4 FT)
6 rebounds
7 assists
2 steals
3 TOs, 6 fouls

Very active on defense, running the floor, passing to the open man.

While he doesn't yet have the greatest ballhandling and playmaking for his size, he still can be a plus effect doing the little things, like running the floor, using his great 1st step to get scoring opportunities, cutting to the basket and either finishing or passing to the open player, covering ground on defense with his quickness, and so on.

From this perspective, he would be best served in the short term as a small ball 4 or 5... once he upgrades those 2 things I mentioned above, then he can function as a wing and secondary ballhandler and playmaker. He's still 20, I think he will get there in due time.

Also, perhaps it's time for a new Kuminga thread? This one is from last season.
Big J
General Manager

Post#1359 » by Big J » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:54 pm

Not many guys his size can get 7 assists without even trying. When Kuminga is locked in he's the 2nd most talented guy on our roster.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#1360 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 8, 2022 4:29 am

Best game of the year for him, focusing first on defense, rebounding and then scoring when the team needed him.

I want to know what happened over the summer to put him in Kerr's doghouse over the summer. I guess he played international games so maybe developed bad habits or played a different role, stopped working on the things the team emphasized during the season.

Well he didn't get much of a run in the playoffs either and maybe the coaching staff just didn't prioritize off-season development for any of the young players or maybe prioritized JW most.

His stroke looked better last year, from 3 and from the FT line. So he didn't put up hundreds of shots a day?

In any event, if he realizes that he could contribute without prioritizing scoring, it would be a great sign.

Return to Golden State Warriors