Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1281 » by floppymoose » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:11 pm

JK Fouling
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#1282 » by Nvnervous45 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:45 pm

Man. I almost start him over wiggins at this point. Kuminga is so assertive on offense he makes wiggins look like a kid!
MastermindLV
Senior
And1: 822

Post#1283 » by MastermindLV » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:41 pm

Nvnervous45 wrote:Man. I almost start him over wiggins at this point. Kuminga is so assertive on offense he makes wiggins look like a kid!

should next year for sure.

At this point I think we need to package Wiggs & Wiseman to try and get a Center in the off-season
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#1284 » by DevinVassell » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 pm

MastermindLV wrote:
Nvnervous45 wrote:Man. I almost start him over wiggins at this point. Kuminga is so assertive on offense he makes wiggins look like a kid!

At this point I think we need to package Wiggs & Wiseman to try and get a Center in the off-season

Wiseman is wasted here with all the front offices' pedantic mollycoddling. I never thought I'd say it but they need to trade him already.

This is just not the place for him. Let him thrive somewhere else with a team that will actually use him and not wrap him in cotton wool.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,404

Post#1285 » by ILOVEIT » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:56 pm

floppymoose wrote:JK Fouling

Dude...may I take a moment and recognize genius. :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1286 » by FNQ » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:15 am

MastermindLV wrote:

Trading for a C (ie - using big assets on a C, be it via cap, draft, or trade) defeats the purpose of our system. They went with Wiseman with the idea that we had 1-4 locked up once Klay returned (Curry - Klay - Wiggins - Dray). But since that hasnt worked out, we can see how important it is to avoid that landmine. So few Cs would really fit into the system we've used the past 2 years / the system where we've had the most success since starting our run. And then we'd have to hope one of those Cs is available, and then pay whatever that team wanted for it.. its not a good situation.

If you're trading Wiggins you need a wing back, its really that easy. #1, a lineup of Curry-Poole-Klay is going to kill our perimeter defense. Klay is the only good defender in that group and he can only do it on-ball, so our switch-heavy defense would get exploited to hell, with Curry and Poole being frequently backed down/accruing fouls. #2, aside from Klay we really only have one wing that could be a starter (Moody) and he might need more time to adjust to being a role playing guard in our system, something he hasn't done yet

Kuminga is not a wing for us and this idea has to really be stopped... he's not a good distance shooter. The majority of his 3pt shots are wide-wide-open and he's hitting at a 32% clip. He's only an on-ball defender, and that means either he or Klay is going to be off-ball, and they are really bad at it. He's even been below average defensively.. give him the OPJ role next year, otherwise he will be predictably maligned by this fanbase, just like Curry, just like Klay, just like Dray. All of them were targets on this board because they were being used incorrectly, mostly by Jackson. I'm not chomping at the bit to jump back into that situation
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#1287 » by HiRez » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:15 am

To me Kuminga is so much better when he immediately moves to the rim as soon as he receives the ball, or even better gets the ball while he’s already going down hill. When he starts his Corey Maggette iso pounding I cringe because you know it’s not going to end well.

Getting worried about his hands, dude gets the ball stripped or bobbles it a lot. Maybe that’s him making unnecessary dribbles and spin moves and he’ll do less of that in the future, but he definitely doesn’t have Kawhi hands.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#1288 » by EvanZ » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:23 pm

He has small hands. Said this a while ago. It’s why he has to go up with both hands on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1289 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:43 pm

100% on the "we shoulda taken Wagner" train

props to all who called it back then.. a Franz/Moody combo would have been about as perfect as that draft could have gone. Kuminga still has tons of upside but after just delving through Franz's tracking - albeit in a much simpler defensive system - that guy is gonna be a very good roleplaying forward. Maybe not a top scorer, but he'll be basically what Wiggins was early this season: 15-20 pts, good efficiency, great defense. And he should be that sooner than later, if he isn't knocking on that door already
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#1290 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:36 pm

FNQ wrote:100% on the "we shoulda taken Wagner" train

props to all who called it back then.. a Franz/Moody combo would have been about as perfect as that draft could have gone.

In that vein haha

Read on Twitter
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
HiRez
RealGM

Post#1291 » by HiRez » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:51 pm

Looks like Kuminga has now completely played himself out of the playoff rotation at this point, I'll be surprised if he plays in anything except garbage time for more than a few minutes. Started the season rough, then had a super promising middle, and has now completely collapsed at the end. He's totally regressed, becoming less aggressive and less efficient and generally offers nothing on either end the court right now except the very occasional flashy dunk.

Very depressed about how he ended the season, but he's still young, will have to see how next year goes. In the end he is exactly what most thought he was: a very young athlete who has a long way to go to learn how to play NBA basketball. Exactly the same as Wiseman. Which is fine but if they're really serious about competing for championships before Steph, Draymond, and Klay retire, those 2 guys weren't the best 2 choices to draft.

If they had picked Ball/Okongwu/Haliburton and Wagner they'd be in a much stronger position right now. Some of those guys may not have the ceiling that Wiseman and Kuminga do, but they could be playing and contributing right now on a playoff roster. We'll just have to hope for a miracle this year and then hope an offseason gets these guys a base they can build on next year. However, I still don't blame them much for those picks, Wiseman's injury was not predictable and Kuminga was never a "play now" pick but it's hard to argue when he dropped to #7. I had Franz and Kuminga 1A and 1B but generally you take the higher value guy who slips to you, and I still feel we got really lucky with Moody at #14.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#1292 » by TB » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:08 pm

I was on the Franz at 7 train, but tentatively left the station when Kuminga was available.

Let's not get too negative on Kuminga right now, he has had a very good rookie season, and there is still a lot of games left for him to make an impact. Yes, its a roll of the dice for him to hit a ceiling higher than Franz, but the potential is there. He's got a ton of skill, is incredibly young, and has a superstar mentality. Its going to take some time and he has a ton to work on, but he's actually ahead of where most expected at this time.

As for Franz, I have a feeling Suggs makes a big jump in efficiency next year and the Magic instantly become VERY fun to watch (plus they have another top pick coming). I still don't think anyone in the top 10 is mad with their picks. Even Mitchell starting to play really well. Just an incredible draft, and we have the guy in the top ten that may have highest ceiling and lowest floor lol.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#1293 » by Big J » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:01 pm

You guys do realize that Kuminga would probably be averaging 20 7 & 4 on Orlando right now right? He's also a damn full year younger than Franz and has a much higher ceiling.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#1294 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:15 pm

EvanZ wrote:He has small hands. Said this a while ago. It’s why he has to go up with both hands on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

this is an issue, also has trouble cleanly catching, not sure if he has small hands or bad hands.

similar problems as Wiseman, maybe Myers just loves players with bad hands.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 977

Post#1295 » by WESCO » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:
FNQ wrote:100% on the "we shoulda taken Wagner" train

props to all who called it back then.. a Franz/Moody combo would have been about as perfect as that draft could have gone.

In that vein haha

Read on Twitter

I was also on record wanting Franz and not wanting JK

I'm happier today than draft day with how JK has turned out.

Still would have rather had Franz/moody or Fanz/Sengun
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,420

Post#1296 » by Big J » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:18 pm

Wishing we had Franz instead of Kuminga is akin to Bucks fans wishing they had drafted Mason Plumlee instead of Giannis because he put up better stats his rookie year.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#1297 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:40 pm

rats jumping ship when the 19yo has a bumpy stretch in his rookie season.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1298 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:43 pm

TB wrote:I was on the Franz at 7 train, but tentatively left the station when Kuminga was available.

Let's not get too negative on Kuminga right now, he has had a very good rookie season, and there is still a lot of games left for him to make an impact. Yes, its a roll of the dice for him to hit a ceiling higher than Franz, but the potential is there. He's got a ton of skill, is incredibly young, and has a superstar mentality. Its going to take some time and he has a ton to work on, but he's actually ahead of where most expected at this time.

As for Franz, I have a feeling Suggs makes a big jump in efficiency next year and the Magic instantly become VERY fun to watch (plus they have another top pick coming). I still don't think anyone in the top 10 is mad with their picks. Even Mitchell starting to play really well. Just an incredible draft, and we have the guy in the top ten that may have highest ceiling and lowest floor lol.

The more I see of Kuminga, the less of a ceiling I see. He doesn’t have a pull-up jumper, and he needs to be wide open for his threes. It should improve, but I think he played clearly better earlier in the season. I don’t think there’s any tangible growth you can point to, and that’s disappointing for a rookie season.

He might be the most athletic player in the top 10, but I think guys like Mobley, Barnes and Cade have more upside due to their all around games. He definitely has more than Franz, but Franz is a very smart and capable player right now with efficiency upside still, whereas Kuminga is way behind defensively and has a limited offensive skill set. Still a very raw player. He might actually do well to have a GL stint next year to work on passing/reading defenses off his drives
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,565

Post#1299 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Apr 1, 2022 12:22 am

FNQ wrote:
TB wrote:I was on the Franz at 7 train, but tentatively left the station when Kuminga was available.

The more I see of Kuminga, the less of a ceiling I see. He doesn’t have a pull-up jumper, and he needs to be wide open for his threes. It should improve, but I think he played clearly better earlier in the season. I don’t think there’s any tangible growth you can point to, and that’s disappointing for a rookie season.

He might be the most athletic player in the top 10, but I think guys like Mobley, Barnes and Cade have more upside due to their all around games. He definitely has more than Franz, but Franz is a very smart and capable player right now with efficiency upside still, whereas Kuminga is way behind defensively and has a limited offensive skill set. Still a very raw player. He might actually do well to have a GL stint next year to work on passing/reading defenses off his drives

He definitely has plenty to learn, but I don't think I'd agree that he's demonstrated no tangible growth. His decision making is far, far better than it was at the beginning of the season, and he's been much more aggressive. Early in the season he was constantly settling for 3's, which didn't play to his strengths and wasn't getting results. He took to the idea that he should be able to get to the line often, and probably has more ability to get to the line than almost anyone on our team. We also lamented that he was showing no interest in rebounding, and while he will hopefully still improve, at least to my eyes he's been much more aggressive about rebounding.

I'd love to see his defense get better, and some of that is just learning from Draymond and friends. I'd of course also like to see his jumper improve, but I'm not even positive it needs to improve a ton. Just enough that it is a bad idea to leave him open. Right now, he's a handful if he drives, so the obvious choice for teams is to try to bait him into shooting.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM

Post#1300 » by HiRez » Fri Apr 1, 2022 12:44 am

whatisacenter wrote:rats jumping ship when the 19yo has a bumpy stretch in his rookie season.

I think he's regressed but I'm still fully on board with the kid. Even for this year. I think Kerr is shutting him down but it's a mistake. Kuminga makes defensive mistakes. Sometimes he disappears. Sometimes his shot isn't going down. But you know who else those things apply to? Almost everyone else on the team. Bjelica, Lee, JTA have all been really rough and inconsistent. Even Klay and Draymond and Wiggins have been terrible at times and their minutes are locked in permanently. I'm not gonna remove Draymond or Klay for Kuminga right now but I'd play him every one of JTA, Bjelica, Lee, Chiozza, etc. minutes, along with Moody. If he starts off cold or missing some shots, give him more than a couple minutes to right the ship. At his best, Kuminga is a difference maker who can get to the rim and finish, play good defense, and draw fouls. But even at his worst he's usually not costing us the game. He's not putting up 20 shots when he's missing and he doesn't turn the ball over that much (~1 turnover in 17 mpg). Going to be a shame if Kuminga and Moody don't get any run in the playoffs because Kerr is too afraid. Again, the other guys who play in their place are not very good so you're losing nothing, and gaining valuable experience.

Return to Golden State Warriors