Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1481 » by michaelm » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:22 am

a8bil wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:It’s crazy, some people place this extra high bar for him to jump over to prove he’s a good player. Let this sink in for all you doubters. He’s 20 years old.

Let’s look at what he has done since coming into the league. When he first arrived he couldn’t even shoot a free throw, his three’s missed everything occasionally, bad body language. Since then, his free throws, three’s are trending up, he’s added a turnaround j, playmaking, locks up the best player on the other team. Sometimes I think I am taking crazy pills when I read the comments of people wanting to trade him when he’s on a rookie contract. Either I’m crazy or the rest of the world is insane.

Look at the progress of the others that came in the same time or earlier: Moody, Wiseman, and Poole. Kaiju has blown past them given the same opportunities to prove themselves. Why didn’t the others score off open shots and not being guarded while this guy who came in with no shooting ability has surpassed them in TS pct. Kuminga at this point could probably beat all three in a 3 pt shooting competition at this point.

I mentioned his trade value because there is a general pining on this board for a vet who can help Steph win now with what's left of his narrow window of dominance. When I look around the league, however, I don't see a vet who I really think can help this team AND be worth giving up JK and Poole. I like Brown, but as good as he is and as much as I like a fellow Cal guy, I'm not sure JK won't be at his level in 2-3 years, and more importantly, I'm not confident Brown is the missing piece. Who else is there that would be a trade target, would be an equivalent package but significant upgrade from JK/Poole, would be okay in a subordinate role to Steph and would be the missing piece for winning more championships?

He is already a bust according to some on the General Board.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#1482 » by HiRez » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:13 pm

With the return of GP2 (which is great), I think we've unfortunately seen about the last of Kuminga for the season. Kerr is going to go with GP2 over Kuminga 10 times out of 10 (and will probably go to Lamb after that :banghead: ). Kuminga's minutes are likely to be cut drastically, and he almost always plays better when he gets more minutes (25+). If Wiggins comes back, Kuminga will be buried even deeper. So as a Kuminga fan, I'm sad about that. He made some good progress this year, but it could have been a lot more, so in a sense it's a bit of a lost year. For Moody, it's a completely lost year.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,922

Post#1483 » by whatisacenter » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:22 pm

HiRez wrote:With the return of GP2 (which is great), I think we've unfortunately seen about the last of Kuminga for the season. Kerr is going to go with GP2 over Kuminga 10 times out of 10 (and will probably go to Lamb after that :banghead: ). Kuminga's minutes are likely to be cut drastically, and he almost always plays better when he gets more minutes (25+). If Wiggins comes back, Kuminga will be buried even deeper. So as a Kuminga fan, I'm sad about that. He made some good progress this year, but it could have been a lot more, so in a sense it's a bit of a lost year. For Moody, it's a completely lost year.

I would hate to be a young player on this team. None of the credit and all of the blame.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#1484 » by Onus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:04 pm

HiRez wrote:With the return of GP2 (which is great), I think we've unfortunately seen about the last of Kuminga for the season. Kerr is going to go with GP2 over Kuminga 10 times out of 10 (and will probably go to Lamb after that :banghead: ). Kuminga's minutes are likely to be cut drastically, and he almost always plays better when he gets more minutes (25+). If Wiggins comes back, Kuminga will be buried even deeper. So as a Kuminga fan, I'm sad about that. He made some good progress this year, but it could have been a lot more, so in a sense it's a bit of a lost year. For Moody, it's a completely lost year.

It's 1 game, but not a promising start. JK hasn't really done well against strong rim protectors against embiid and gobert so that also factors into his limited playing time for the past 2 games. We'll see what his minutes look like tomorrow.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#1485 » by HiRez » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:13 pm

Onus wrote:

It's 1 game, but not a promising start. JK hasn't really done well against strong rim protectors against embiid and gobert so that also factors into his limited playing time for the past 2 games. We'll see what his minutes look like tomorrow.

I agree, Philly and Minny are 2 less than ideal matchups for him, limiting his drives, dunks, and rebounding opportunities. And it didn't help that he found himself trying to defend, at times, Embiid, Towns, and Reid. That's something that shouldn't happen but is necessary because of the Dubs' complete lack of size. But GP2's minutes have to come from somewhere and I think Kuminga will be hit hard. Some will also come from Lamb, DDV, and Moody (what few minutes he has).
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#1486 » by Onus » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:43 pm

HiRez wrote:
Onus wrote:

I agree, Philly and Minny are 2 less than ideal matchups for him, limiting his drives, dunks, and rebounding opportunities. And it didn't help that he found himself trying to defend, at times, Embiid, Towns, and Reid. That's something that shouldn't happen but is necessary because of the Dubs' complete lack of size. But GP2's minutes have to come from somewhere and I think Kuminga will be hit hard. Some will also come from Lamb, DDV, and Moody (what few minutes he has).

Yea I think it’s pretty obvious where gps minutes will come from but some people argued that you could play gp and jk together. Going to need more than a 1 game sample size to determine that though. And last game wasn’t a good matchup for it. Should be better against the pels.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#1487 » by EvanZ » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:51 pm

GP immediately took all of Moody’s minutes and a few of JK. Kerr said GPII is a 4 basically.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors