ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

User avatar
Impuniti
Head Coach
Posts: 7,030
And1: 5,357
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#561 » by Impuniti » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:20 pm

weekend_warrior wrote:
Upperclass wrote:His role is as the Jordan Bell Small ball center. He'll do fine there once he starts getting regular minutes


I don't think that Jordan Bell was ever allowed to handle the ball. Kuminga did that for some plays while Steph was on the court. This tells me (and when watching him it's obvious why) that the org has trust in the ability of JK. He will be only able to showcase that in spurts but it would be a waste to just have him catch lobs.

I think he did really well last game, those were some really promising signs that we will get some impactful rotation minutes from him this season. He adds something to that team that nobody else can.

Kerr already said his passing is quite good, so he will be handling it I think. As long as he doesn't turn into an iso chucker with massive TOs like he was doing in SL.

What impressed more than his dunks was defense. He actually looked like he belonged, which is crazy for a guy that just joined and has very little (overall) bball experience.
User avatar
FloydWarrior
Sophomore
Posts: 225
And1: 117
Joined: Jul 04, 2016
Location: Portugal
 

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#562 » by FloydWarrior » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:40 pm

A wild Kuminga appears. Man, this guy is exciting to watch...he's got all the tools and just needs some of that Warriors seasoning to become a beast in a couple of years
Image
Scoots1994
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,368
And1: 791
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#563 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:51 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

Great 1st step and body control. Guy's gonna be a monster once he's more experienced.


That lack of a 1st step was something that always killed me with Harrison Barnes ... they kept trying to teach it to him but he never really got it. It's one of those skills I think is a if-you-have-it-you-have-it-if-you-don't-you-won't skill.
Scoots1994
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,368
And1: 791
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#564 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Impuniti wrote:
weekend_warrior wrote:
Upperclass wrote:His role is as the Jordan Bell Small ball center. He'll do fine there once he starts getting regular minutes


I don't think that Jordan Bell was ever allowed to handle the ball. Kuminga did that for some plays while Steph was on the court. This tells me (and when watching him it's obvious why) that the org has trust in the ability of JK. He will be only able to showcase that in spurts but it would be a waste to just have him catch lobs.

I think he did really well last game, those were some really promising signs that we will get some impactful rotation minutes from him this season. He adds something to that team that nobody else can.

Kerr already said his passing is quite good, so he will be handling it I think. As long as he doesn't turn into an iso chucker with massive TOs like he was doing in SL.

What impressed more than his dunks was defense. He actually looked like he belonged, which is crazy for a guy that just joined and has very little (overall) bball experience.


That defense is the key to minutes.
User avatar
WESCO
Head Coach
Posts: 6,031
And1: 673
Joined: Jan 06, 2006
Location: Face Palm

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#565 » by WESCO » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter


Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 14,400
And1: 5,857
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#566 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:30 pm

I liked his first half stint where he stayed with DeRoazan on several moves and forced him to pass.

He's going to have to defend and also hit those corner 3s at a high enough level or else they will back way off him to prevent those drives.

Being able to hit those 3s at a good enough rate is the difference between a 4 or 5 year second contract and getting prove-it deals.

Ask Stanley Johnson and Rodae Hollis Jefferson, both great physical/attletic profiles who found limited roles with the teams which drafted him but because of inability to hit 3s at a good enough efficiency limited their markets when they got off their rookie deals.
User avatar
and1GS
RealGM
Posts: 23,989
And1: 1,986
Joined: Nov 12, 2008
Location: home of 3x champs + supporter of all-time weakest moves
   

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#567 » by and1GS » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:45 pm

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter


Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer


Noticed this too and it's great to see. Agree with the other poster - defense is his key to early minutes, offense is the key to getting a bigger share of those minutes. Him and Moses seem like such mature young men - a far cry from mercurial Anthony Randolph and Brandan 'The COD Hermit' Wright.
Mob Byers on COVID-19 wrote:Yawn, people die every day

Quazza wrote:ALL FUTURE ERECTIONS WILL BE NAMED KEVIN FOR BEING SUCH A STAND UP GUY
DIO
Pro Prospect
Posts: 774
And1: 157
Joined: Dec 03, 2007

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#568 » by DIO » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:29 am

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter




super impressive
can't wait for JK vs KD :nod:
a8bil
Veteran
Posts: 2,915
And1: 1,194
Joined: Jan 18, 2007

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#569 » by a8bil » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:37 am

WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter


Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer
now that's a highlight reel! Got a little bit of everything in that clip...perimeter defense, help defense, fast transition, great vision and passes and explosive dunks!
Scoots1994
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,368
And1: 791
Joined: Jun 24, 2018
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#570 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:16 pm

and1GS wrote:
WESCO wrote:
Read on Twitter


Great minutes rook! I am curious to see if he can play the perimeter against smaller quick gaurds too.

He can be a game changer


Noticed this too and it's great to see. Agree with the other poster - defense is his key to early minutes, offense is the key to getting a bigger share of those minutes. Him and Moses seem like such mature young men - a far cry from mercurial Anthony Randolph and Brandan 'The COD Hermit' Wright.


Brandan Wright was awesome for a time, he just couldn't stay healthy. I honestly think he should have been 6MOY a couple times.
WarriorGM
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,903
And1: 2,350
Joined: Aug 19, 2017

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#571 » by WarriorGM » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 am

Not really any positives from the game except that Kuminga looks like he's good next to Curry. Might be a seemingly small expected thing right now but big down the road.
ClutchUp
Sophomore
Posts: 214
And1: 81
Joined: Dec 23, 2019
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#572 » by ClutchUp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:13 am

WarriorGM wrote:Not really any positives from the game except that Kuminga looks like he's good next to Curry. Might be a seemingly small expected thing right now but big down the road.


It's already pretty big Kerr trusts him to defend guys like Lamelo, Lavine and Derozan. I'm so glad Kerr added Kenny Atkinson to his staff to work with Kuminga.

BTW the strip on Bridges was pretty crazy. Lightening quick hands that surprised Bridges under the rim.
DIO
Pro Prospect
Posts: 774
And1: 157
Joined: Dec 03, 2007

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#573 » by DIO » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:56 am

high praise from DPOY

“He was incredible in his minutes tonight,” Draymond Green said of Kuminga. “I think those minutes will continue to grow, if he continues to play that way. And I have no doubt in my mind that he will. He’ll get smarter and he’ll figure more stuff out as he continues to play.”
“I have no doubt in my mind that he can check just about anybody. He has the size, has the strength, has the quickness, has the length. Everything you want in a defender, he has.”


“He’s active and he’s athletic,” coach Steve Kerr said. “What I like about him more than anything is that he defends without fouling. He doesn’t reach; a lot of rookies will reach and try to make spectacular plays. He really trusts his athleticism and strength. He made a real impact in his minutes.”
“We’re going to keep putting him on the best players because he’s got the physicality and the speed and athleticism to do that,” Kerr said. “He’s really got a chance to be special defensively.”
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/jonathan-kuminga-already-capable-bolstering-warriors-rotation
HiRez
RealGM
Posts: 10,697
And1: 2,421
Joined: Dec 29, 2011

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#574 » by HiRez » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:00 am

Kuminga is so much more effective and playable when he’s going downhill and attacking the tim instead of chucking from the perimeter.
User avatar
DonaldSanders
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,736
And1: 1,875
Joined: Jan 22, 2012
     

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#575 » by DonaldSanders » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 am

So excited to see more Kuminga, looks like a future all-star. He just needs to keep asserting himself inside and playing defense and it will happen.
vagelis
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,535
And1: 579
Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#576 » by vagelis » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 am

22/Jul/21 I wrote

vagelis wrote:If Kuminga is available at 7 spot Warriors should take him.
If Warriors can trade Wiseman+14+Poole for Evan Mobley, they should do it.
But I think Warriors will trade #7 in the draft day.


I think that Kuminga was the right pick at 7.
He is long, athletic and strong.
He reminds me a little bit of young Iguodala but he is not there yet
GswStorm3
Analyst
Posts: 3,576
And1: 228
Joined: Sep 19, 2007
Location: NorCal
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#577 » by GswStorm3 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:11 am

DIO wrote:high praise from DPOY

“He was incredible in his minutes tonight,” Draymond Green said of Kuminga. “I think those minutes will continue to grow, if he continues to play that way. And I have no doubt in my mind that he will. He’ll get smarter and he’ll figure more stuff out as he continues to play.”
“I have no doubt in my mind that he can check just about anybody. He has the size, has the strength, has the quickness, has the length. Everything you want in a defender, he has.”


“He’s active and he’s athletic,” coach Steve Kerr said. “What I like about him more than anything is that he defends without fouling. He doesn’t reach; a lot of rookies will reach and try to make spectacular plays. He really trusts his athleticism and strength. He made a real impact in his minutes.”
“We’re going to keep putting him on the best players because he’s got the physicality and the speed and athleticism to do that,” Kerr said. “He’s really got a chance to be special defensively.”
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/jonathan-kuminga-already-capable-bolstering-warriors-rotation


Really happy with this roster. Between GP2, Wigs and an emerging Kuminga that's going to buy Klay plenty of time to slowly ramp up on the defensive end when he returns.
watch1958
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,796
And1: 420
Joined: Aug 03, 2001

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#578 » by watch1958 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am

Despite the 1/3, I think the FTs will come along. One thing I noticed in his G-League games last year was that he’d start a game 0/3 or 0/4 from the line, then hit his last 6 or 7 in a row.

Also, the 1 shot FT rule in the G-League made it hard to get a feel for it.

I think with some polish on mechanics and a bit of coaching on the mental aspect, his FTs will be 75-80% soon
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
superunknown
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 147
Joined: Sep 25, 2018
       

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#579 » by superunknown » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:18 am

kid was impressive yesterday on the defensive end. he has quick feet which, coupled with his size and strength, gives him a solid base to build on in the path to DPOY :D
User avatar
EvanZ
General Manager
Posts: 8,802
And1: 1,780
Joined: Apr 06, 2011

Re: Warriors select Jonathan Kuminga with the 7th pick of the 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#580 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:10 pm

Kuminga is what an impressive rookie looks like. Younger than Wiseman coming in. Coming off an injury. And still looks great. He's ramping up incredibly quickly. I'm hard to impress, but yeah, Kuminga looks like a real one.

Return to Golden State Warriors