ImageImageImageImageImage

More Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Re: More Free Agent Talk 

Post#601 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jan 4, 2022 9:04 pm

Commodor wrote:What is our two-way situation now with Weatherspoon?

Could Denzel Valentine be a guy we add to develop now that he's on the market? Always liked his game and could be a good glue guy at the end of the bench.

We have 15 “full” contracts, and both 2-way slots filled (Chiozza, Weatherspoon).

Valentine is in his 5th year, and 2-way contracts are only available for players with less than 4 years of NBA experience……. So he isn’t eligible to sign a 2-way deal. The only way he could be picked up by the Warriors would be to “free up” a full roster spot (by cutting or trading somebody), and given that Valentine is already 28, there’s little reason to believe that he’s going to magically get better. There’s nobody I’d cut or trade for the purpose of giving Valentine a shot.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#602 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jan 8, 2022 4:01 am

Read on Twitter
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#603 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:06 pm

I did not expexct an offense with Poole, Wiggins, Klay Bjelica and Porter to fail so badly.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#604 » by Commodor » Thu Feb 3, 2022 4:29 pm

Rubio just said he’d love to play with Curry & Klay.

Seems like a prime target this summer for a vet min. Worth keeping an eye on his recovery.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#605 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 7:00 pm

Commodor wrote:Rubio just said he’d love to play with Curry & Klay.

Seems like a prime target this summer for a vet min. Worth keeping an eye on his recovery.

Who would you remove from the rotation of Curry, Klay, Poole, Moody, GP2, Lee? I like Rubio and would like him to be a Warrior, but a limited vet coming off of a significant injury doesn't really fill any of those players roles. That said the Warriors could use another old head team leader off the bench because I don't think Iguodala is coming back.
Commodor
Analyst

Post#606 » by Commodor » Thu Feb 3, 2022 9:00 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

Who would you remove from the rotation of Curry, Klay, Poole, Moody, GP2, Lee? I like Rubio and would like him to be a Warrior, but a limited vet coming off of a significant injury doesn't really fill any of those players roles. That said the Warriors could use another old head team leader off the bench because I don't think Iguodala is coming back.

There's a very good chance GP2 gets a bigger contract somewhere and leaves also. He is already almost 30 and has yet to get a pay day. Also Lee's contract is up I believe and outside of being Curry's family is very expendable. JTA, OPJ, Bjelica & Iguodala should all be considered questionable at best to return.

Not saying Rubio is some can't miss player but after this season there should be room on the roster.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#607 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 12:52 am

Commodor wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

There's a very good chance GP2 gets a bigger contract somewhere and leaves also. He is already almost 30 and has yet to get a pay day. Also Lee's contract is up I believe and outside of being Curry's family is very expendable. JTA, OPJ, Bjelica & Iguodala should all be considered questionable at best to return.

Not saying Rubio is some can't miss player but after this season there should be room on the roster.

Yeah I agree. There are going to be a bunch of roster changes. I was looking at the roles of the current group of guards that seems to be working well.

Rubio would be good leading a 2nd unit, but I don't really trust his defense or his shot after the injury.

I think it's likely GP2 comes back with some assurances for maximum raises. I think the rest of the NBA will look at him as a particular fit with the Warriors, much like Looney (until now), JTA, and Lee.
Commodor
Analyst

Post#608 » by Commodor » Fri Feb 4, 2022 4:26 am

Scoots1994 wrote:Yeah I agree. There are going to be a bunch of roster changes. I was looking at the roles of the current group of guards that seems to be working well.

Rubio would be good leading a 2nd unit, but I don't really trust his defense or his shot after the injury.

I think it's likely GP2 comes back with some assurances for maximum raises. I think the rest of the NBA will look at him as a particular fit with the Warriors, much like Looney (until now), JTA, and Lee.

Yeah Rubio’s recovery will be very interesting to watch but his ability to run the offense + his defense (hopefully) has a role on any team.

For GP2, I don’t know, those other guys don’t have a definitive elite skill. GP2 is and has been lockdown. Now that people see he can shoot 3s at a high clip as a catch and shoot weapon… there’s a lot of players who earn a lot more who do a lot less.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#609 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:07 am

Rubio on the minimum would be an insane steal, but considering he might not have many contracts left in him, and that he's probably likely to finish his career in Europe when the time comes, I'd bet he chases money.

Would love to be wrong though
Commodor
Analyst

Post#610 » by Commodor » Fri Feb 4, 2022 8:19 am

FNQ wrote:Rubio on the minimum would be an insane steal, but considering he might not have many contracts left in him, and that he's probably likely to finish his career in Europe when the time comes, I'd bet he chases money.

After this year Rubio will have made $120m+, coming off a serious injury and never have made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Prime ring chaser.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,383

Post#611 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 5:59 pm

Rubio would be amazing in this team, plus he fits our biggest need too.

But I'd bet he would take more than the minimum to be gettable, though.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#612 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:54 pm

Commodor wrote:
FNQ wrote:Rubio on the minimum would be an insane steal, but considering he might not have many contracts left in him, and that he's probably likely to finish his career in Europe when the time comes, I'd bet he chases money.

After this year Rubio will have made $120m+, coming off a serious injury and never have made it out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Prime ring chaser.

I know the background (also note that he had to pay a not insignificant amount of his rookie contract to get out of his Eurodeal) but my experience with athletes, even ones with close to 9 figure net worths, is that the phrase "nah, I've got enough money" is about as rare as a politician saying "screw the backlash, people deserve the truth"
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#613 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Feb 5, 2022 10:46 am

Rubio has 2 good friends on the dubbs: bjelly and wiggins. So it's entirely possible he takes the minimum here if there isn't an outrageous offer from another team.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#614 » by Old_Blue » Sat Feb 5, 2022 9:46 pm

Isn't this the second left ACL tear for Rubio? Didn't he suffer the same injury about a decade ago?
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#615 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 11:20 pm

Thing about Rubio is, would you transfer him to take a big open shot?

He does a pretty good job of running the offense and playing defense. But he got injured in the middle of the season so he may not be able to play until December or even later.

But it appears Cleveland kept winning after he went down so maybe Cavs winning early wasn't really indicative of his impact.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#616 » by Dom801e » Sat Feb 5, 2022 11:33 pm

Was looking for next year’s OPJ and thought TJ Warren might be a good add on a minimum deal.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#617 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Feb 6, 2022 4:48 pm

Dom801e wrote:Was looking for next year’s OPJ and thought TJ Warren might be a good add on a minimum deal.

When he supposedly asked to be traded 7 months ago I wondered what he was seeing behind the scenes, because he was right, that team has gone in the wrong direction, and I could see him liking a team with a good culture.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#618 » by cdubbz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm

What's the cost to the Warriors for signing a free agent at this point? How much $$ does that cost Warriors in tax?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#619 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:00 pm

cdubbz wrote:What's the cost to the Warriors for signing a free agent at this point? How much $$ does that cost Warriors in tax?

Not a useful answer but ... I don't care.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#620 » by cdubbz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:45 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
cdubbz wrote:What's the cost to the Warriors for signing a free agent at this point? How much $$ does that cost Warriors in tax?

Not a useful answer but ... I don't care.

Cool. Don’t respond next time
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors