ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (EPISODE VII: Which team wants our bad players for their good players?)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Trade Thread (EPISODE VI: Can't we just put EVERYTHING in the TE?) 

Post#61 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:46 pm

Mob Byers wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Mob Byers wrote:Would Derrick Favors be an upgrade over Looney? Haven't payed close attention to him over the last few years. Utah fans seemed to have really liked him, high character guy. Looney has value as he knows the system and switches pretty well on D.

But would it be worth it to send him out with some min guys and likely some sort of future pick for Favors?

Then go after Chriss or Theis in FA, bigs who can shoot stretch the floor a bit? Or would most want to stay put with Looney?

Favors is an upgrade for post defense, rebounding, and post offense and a downgrade on perimeter defense, passing, screening.

But the conversation ends with the fact the Warriors probably can't afford him.

They can easily afford him with Looney/Smiley/Mulder, I was just wondering if it was even worth it

If you mean "afford" in regards to $$$ that is

I was thinking more afford overall. Signing a vet min to trade for him, not sure that works, and he's got a player option for the next year that will cost the Warriors CRAZY money for a Looney level player. On the court, injuries and playing on a switch. Better scorer than Looney, but, like Looney I don't think he can hold up as a starting C.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#62 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:41 pm

Getting a TPE for Oubre is the biggest move of the off season not named Curry extension, or Klay health.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,247

Post#63 » by xdrta+ » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Getting a TPE for Oubre is the biggest move of the off season not named Curry extension, or Klay health.

And probably more difficult than either one of those.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#64 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:42 pm

whocurrz wrote:Rumor is Miami is interested in Oubre. If they use their cap space to get Lowry and decide to go all in they may want our help in a Sign and Trade. Could get a TPE

If Miami (or another team) uses up their cap space signing Lowry, they’ll need to send salary back out (assuming they don’t sign him to he MLE)…… so unless a third team was involved, the Warriors would get player(s) back rather than opening up a TPE for the full amount…….

The more likely way we’d end up with a sizable TPE is if a team signs Lowry into its cap space - at which point, we’d have to incentivize them to make it a sign-and-trade by giving something else, such as a draft pick and/or cash. Plus, something to consider - Oubre seems bitter, and may not agree to do it. He’d have to sign the contact with the Warriors in order for the trade to take place, and he could say “screw you” from anything he thinks might help the Warriors. (Of course, he’d be cutting off his nose to spite his face, since he’d also be screwing his new team over from getting another asset….. but it is possible he’d do so.)
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#65 » by azwfan » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:49 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
whocurrz wrote:Rumor is Miami is interested in Oubre. If they use their cap space to get Lowry and decide to go all in they may want our help in a Sign and Trade. Could get a TPE

If Miami (or another team) uses up their cap space signing Lowry, they’ll need to send salary back out (assuming they don’t sign him to he MLE)…… so unless a third team was involved, the Warriors would get player(s) back rather than opening up a TPE for the full amount…….

The more likely way we’d end up with a sizable TPE is if a team signs Lowry into its cap space - at which point, we’d have to incentivize them to make it a sign-and-trade by giving something else, such as a draft pick and/or cash. Plus, something to consider - Oubre seems bitter, and may not agree to do it. He’d have to sign the contact with the Warriors in order for the trade to take place, and he could say “screw you” from anything he thinks might help the Warriors. (Of course, he’d be cutting off his nose to spite his face, since he’d also be screwing his new team over from getting another asset….. but it is possible he’d do so.)

He doesn't sound bitter to me.
I'm not even convinced Bob wants to do a S&T with Oubre as I think we've reached the top of ownerships palatable payroll.

Edit: I suppose if in the S&T we're getting back a player who is better than options at the TPMLE and not signficantly more expensive, they would choose to go that route and not use the TPMLE. But I starting to doubt we're searching out an Oubre S&T and if we do complete one, we probably wont use both that TPE and the TPMLE. We didn't use the disabled player exception nor the TPMLE last season (well technically i think some may have been used on Wanamakeyoushootyourself - but his contract was basically vet minimum money).
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#66 » by ChuckDurn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:01 pm

azwfan wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

He doesn't sound bitter to me.
I'm not even convinced Bob wants to do a S&T with Oubre as I think we've reached the top of ownerships palatable payroll.

Edit: I suppose if in the S&T we're getting back a player who is better than options at the TPMLE and not signficantly more expensive, they would choose to go that route and not use the TPMLE. But I starting to doubt we're searching out an Oubre S&T and if we do complete one, we probably wont use both that TPE and the TPMLE. We didn't use the disabled player exception nor the TPMLE last season (well technically i think some may have been used on Wanamakeyoushootyourself - but his contract was basically vet minimum money).

I agree that everything Lacob and Myers have said suggests that they wouldn’t use a TPE in addition to the TP MLE…… unless somebody ridiculous became available (and I don’t even know who would fit that description). So they may not pursue it.

And the Warriors’ can’t search out a S&T. Oubre chooses where he’s going, and then the Warriors will engage that team to see if a trade is viable.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#67 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:22 am

Would either side do this trade?

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga
+ maybe future FRP if necessary...because it's OKC...

Warriors in
PG Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
F/C Derrick Favors

Steph, Klay, SGA, Moody would be the most loaded backcourt of all time and make for some insane small ball lineups.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#68 » by Coxy » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:40 am

HiRez wrote:Would either side do this trade?

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

Steph, Klay, SGA, Moody would be the most loaded backcourt of all time and make for some insane small ball lineups.

I hope not.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#69 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:46 am

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

I wouldn't want to trade our future front court just to make our current strong back court stronger.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#70 » by HiRez » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:04 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

I wouldn't want to trade our future front court just to make our current strong back court stronger.

I get that, but SGA is the ultimate win now and win later (ie. post-Steph) player. Wiseman and Kuminga, I like them both a lot but they're both unproven: SGA is not. SGA is the solution to Steph backup and/or injury. With him an extended Steph absence (or even Klay absence) does not necessarily mean season over. He can easily start anytime and when Steph retires, he can easily be your star PG for the next 10-12+ years after.

It's giving up a lot for sure, but I tried to be realistic about what the price would be.
Brick Layer
Junior
And1: 116

Post#71 » by Brick Layer » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:25 am

HiRez wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

I get that, but SGA is the ultimate win now and win later (ie. post-Steph) player. Wiseman and Kuminga, I like them both a lot but they're both unproven: SGA is not. SGA is the solution to Steph backup and/or injury. With him an extended Steph absence (or even Klay absence) does not necessarily mean season over. He can easily start anytime and when Steph retires, he can easily be your star PG for the next 10-12+ years after.

It's giving up a lot for sure, but I tried to be realistic about what the price would be.

SGA is expecting to sign a max extension after this season. The Warriors will not be able to pay his salary and luxury taxes for SGA's extension with Curry, Klay, Wiggins and Green still under contract for the next few years. That makes SGA a one year rental for the Warriors and will require giving up Wiseman, Poole, Mulder, Kuminga plus a first round pick for that privilege. HELL NO!
azwfan
RealGM

Post#72 » by azwfan » Sun Aug 1, 2021 1:45 am

Brick Layer wrote:
HiRez wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

SGA is expecting to sign a max extension after this season. The Warriors will not be able to pay his salary and luxury taxes for SGA's extension with Curry, Klay, Wiggins and Green still under contract for the next few years. That makes SGA a one year rental for the Warriors and will require giving up Wiseman, Poole, Mulder, Kuminga plus a first round pick for that privilege. HELL NO!

I also wonder how valuable SGA is with a max extension. He's not as valuable as he is on his rookie scale contract that's for sure. Seems like we'd be paying rookie scale price when we only get that price for 1 season. Love SGA, but I probably decline.

Now... if we could dump the majority of Wiggins' 2022-23 salary for little draft capital (2nds or heavily protected 1st) while not significantly affecting his expected 2021-22 production - I may be more inclined. Would probably want to take either Poole out also, but not sure on that. I'd have to see what we could get for Wiggins.

So something like this:

GSW out: Wiggins, Wiseman, Kuminga
GSW in: Harris, SGA, Favors

Orl out: Harris, Ross
Orl in: Wiggins

OKC out: SGA, Favors
OKC in: Ross, Wiseman, Kuminga

At that point we could max extend SGA for next season. Still leaves us light at the wing, but at least financially its more palatable. Saves management a ton of money this season and makes a max extension for SGA palatable for next season.

Another option is to add a pick to Wiggins and take one of the collection of players Memphis has so as to break up his salary into moveable pieces.

GSW out: Wiggins, '22 1st, Wiseman, Kuminga
GSW in: SGA, Favors, (most of the Memphis collection)

MEM out: (collection of solid bench players)
MEM in: Wiggins, '22 1st

OKC in: Wiseman, Kuminga, some minor young value from MEM

All in all though, if OKC thought super highly of Kuminga, I have to think they would have drafted him. I guess they could have loved him but just loved Giddey more.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#73 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:10 am

HiRez wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

It seems like you're suggesting getting a player that would best be used as a backup or replacement for Steph. That's not the sort of player I think we should be pursuing, particularly since we're moving players that should excel alongside Steph. A win-now move isn't getting a player that doesn't benefit from playing next to Steph.

If you look at SGA's production, he hit a new level after CP3 left. He's a ball dominant guard that put up big numbers on a bad team when he was the only legit offensive weapon. That's not the player I want to sell the young talent we've accumulated for and I wouldn't call that a win-now move.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#74 » by northoakland510 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:13 am

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

Naw bro.
northoakland510
Starter

Post#75 » by northoakland510 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:15 am

azwfan wrote:
Brick Layer wrote:
HiRez wrote:I get that, but SGA is the ultimate win now and win later (ie. post-Steph) player. Wiseman and Kuminga, I like them both a lot but they're both unproven: SGA is not. SGA is the solution to Steph backup and/or injury. With him an extended Steph absence (or even Klay absence) does not necessarily mean season over. He can easily start anytime and when Steph retires, he can easily be your star PG for the next 10-12+ years after.

I also wonder how valuable SGA is with a max extension. He's not as valuable as he is on his rookie scale contract that's for sure. Seems like we'd be paying rookie scale price when we only get that price for 1 season. Love SGA, but I probably decline.

Now... if we could dump the majority of Wiggins' 2022-23 salary for little draft capital (2nds or heavily protected 1st) while not significantly affecting his expected 2021-22 production - I may be more inclined. Would probably want to take either Poole out also, but not sure on that. I'd have to see what we could get for Wiggins.

So something like this:

At that point we could max extend SGA for next season. Still leaves us light at the wing, but at least financially its more palatable. Saves management a ton of money this season and makes a max extension for SGA palatable for next season.

Another option is to add a pick to Wiggins and take one of the collection of players Memphis has so as to break up his salary into moveable pieces.

All in all though, if OKC thought super highly of Kuminga, I have to think they would have drafted him. I guess they could have loved him but just loved Giddey more.

OKC has been trying to dump the kid and now we should trade our best wing defender and young talent for him?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#76 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:17 am

And I must say I don't get all the SGA adoration. I remember how shocked folks on the Warriors board were when it was leaked that Detroit turned down SGA and #6 for the 1st pick. I wouldn't have done that deal either. SGA is a high usage scoring guard on a bad team. Cade is a 6'8 PG who can score all over the court. SGA isn't nearly as valuable as Cade and pick #6 isn't the difference. The fact that OKC used the pick to draft another 6'8 PG, a light version of Cade if you will, is an indication of how valuable Cade is viewed.
The hottest of takes...
azwfan
RealGM

Post#77 » by azwfan » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:21 am

northoakland510 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Brick Layer wrote:SGA is expecting to sign a max extension after this season. The Warriors will not be able to pay his salary and luxury taxes for SGA's extension with Curry, Klay, Wiggins and Green still under contract for the next few years. That makes SGA a one year rental for the Warriors and will require giving up Wiseman, Poole, Mulder, Kuminga plus a first round pick for that privilege. HELL NO!

So something like this:

OKC has been trying to dump the kid and now we should trade our best wing defender and young talent for him?

Trading SGA for #1 pick is dumping him? :crazy:
northoakland510
Starter

Post#78 » by northoakland510 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:26 am

azwfan wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
azwfan wrote:I also wonder how valuable SGA is with a max extension. He's not as valuable as he is on his rookie scale contract that's for sure. Seems like we'd be paying rookie scale price when we only get that price for 1 season. Love SGA, but I probably decline.

So something like this:

Trading SGA for #1 pick is dumping him? :crazy:

Well they obviously do not want him and I assume he will force his way out.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#79 » by Mylie10 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:47 am

Here’s the really good thing about an Oubre TPE. You don’t have to use it front office!

You could only use portions of it. It would allow you to be a bit more serious about who you can add. Or you could just let it expire.

So if they truly want to add some legit pieces, it’s kind of the only route.

But I understand it’s extremely unlikely.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#80 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:49 am

northoakland510 wrote:

Thunder in
C James Wiseman
G Jordan Poole
G Mychal Mulder
F Jonathan Kuminga

Warriors in
F/C Derrick Favors

Naw bro.

Nope. I'm not sending a guy we just watched establish himself AND a pick and a previous #2 for a guy who just established himself on a losing team and is a FA next year.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to Golden State Warriors