Warriors 2021 Roster/Lineup

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Re: Warriors 2021 Roster/Lineup 

Post#41 » by donkeylips » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:40 pm

maybe another big on a two way contract until wiseman gets healthy
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:53 pm

tbh...i'd put Iggy as the back up point, low minutes 2nd/3rd unit initiator, and ask him just to defend guards.

Steph / Iggy
Klay / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / OPJ / Kuminga
Dray / JTA / Bjelica
Looney / Wiseman
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#43 » by and1GS » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:08 pm

Was thinking the exact same thing. Expect nothing other than ~15 mpg handling the point and guarding smaller players. Ramp up those minutes in the playoffs if needed. Taking a bit of the load of Jordan with this signing will be crucial as he continues to evolve.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,796

Post#44 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:12 pm

Does Iggy in mean Lee is out?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#45 » by and1GS » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:13 pm

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I hope not. Lee has a role as a fill in 2/3 for injuries that plays defense, doesn't do dumb stuff and shoots well from 3. Absurdly limited, but he has real value.

Logically, I bet we keep him as the 14th man. Only way I don't see that happening is if an unbelievable TPMLE option popped up.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,147

Post#46 » by TB » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:33 pm

I like Lee alot, and wouldn't be surprised if he is the starting SG on opening night. I think we ease in Kuminga/Moody while also trying to keep Poole as the 6th man.

The fact is, Poole and Lee play well with Steph, so one of them (or JTA with Wiggins playing the 2) will probably start until Klay is back.

Steph / Iggy / GP2
Lee / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / JTA / Kuminga
Dray / Otto / Kuminga
Looney / Wiseman / Bjelica

Then hopefully, by the time Klay is back our young guys are really hitting their stride and we can go with something like:

Steph / Poole / Iggy / GP2
Klay / Moody / Lee
Wiggins / JTA / Otto
Dray / Kuminga / Otto
Wiseman / Looney / Bjelica

The difference with this season is we don't HAVE to have Moody/Kuminga ready right away. Last year with Chriss going down, we needed Wiseman. Not to mention we needed Poole to produce. This season, there are guys ahead of Moody/Kuminga that can carry the load until they are ready.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#47 » by tal57 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:34 pm

Samurai wrote:
Old_Blue wrote:With Iggy returning, we now only have one open roster spot. It's up for grabs between GP2, Mannion and Mulder. I'd give the nod to GP2 due to his defense. Mannion gets a two way contract. Mulder's out. However, the team might also simply not fill the spot and leave it open to fill with a buyout candidate.

I think they will go with your last option and keep the 15th spot vacant in case an opportunity presents itself later in the season before the deadline.

Let's look at it this way:
13 spots are spoken for, assuming no trades.
Curry, Poole, Iggy
Klay, Moody
Wiggins, OPJ, Kuminga
Green, JTA, Bjelica
Looney, Wiseman

Need to fill in 1 spots so who is left (I think they'll tack the MLE into their pocket and not fill in the 15th spot).

SG - Lee, Mulder and Jessup - Preference is to Lee. Partially guaranteed deal, knows the system, can step in at SF on the emergency basis and Curry's family. The other two have to be so much better to overcome that and they are absolutely not. Even Lee is not 100% guaranteed because Poole is really a swing guard. But if they are not bringing in 1 more guy in addition, Poole will be counted more on running the second unit by committee and Lee will be primary candidate to fill in that spots. Unless Jessup (or Mulder) are absolutely go off in camp to the point they can't be refused the spot. Not likely though.

One more big and its effect on Lee and PG2 - if there is a plan for another vet min big and there is the mutual interest there, that takes that spot away. Again, my believe is, not likely, with Green counted on playing minutes at C, especially closing games. But if they do, that takes care of the decision that combo of Poole and Iggy is substantial enough to cover the engine role for the second unit and everyone else is out.
With addition of Iggy, Manion is all likely back on the 2way deal.

So I think bottom like is first if they decide to fill in 14 or 15 spots. If 14, than it is between Lee and how adequately they fill about backup PG position. If they use all 15 spots, that it could be a combo of PG2 and Lee, PG2 and big, or Lee and vet big

That is where I see the likely roster presently standing. Of course everything is very fluid.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#48 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:50 pm

Old_Blue wrote:With Iggy returning, we now only have one open roster spot. It's up for grabs between GP2, Mannion and Mulder. I'd give the nod to GP2 due to his defense. Mannion gets a two way contract. Mulder's out. However, the team might also simply not fill the spot and leave it open to fill with a buyout candidate.

They want to get down to 14.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:52 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:Curry/Poole/Mannion/GP
Wiggins/Mulder/Moody/Lee
Klay/Otto/Iggy
Dray/Kuminga/Toscano
Looney/Wiseman/Bjelica

GSW keeping adding players. I wonder if the Simmons trade is imminent...

Well, they can carry 20 until opening day, so there's no rush to make decisions.

There is not cut before the first day of the season? I thought they had to get down to 15 a few days before the season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:57 pm

clyde21 wrote:tbh...i'd put Iggy as the back up point, low minutes 2nd/3rd unit initiator, and ask him just to defend guards.

Steph / Iggy
Klay / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / OPJ / Kuminga
Dray / JTA / Bjelica
Looney / Wiseman

Pretty much ... but I'd keep Lee for now.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:58 pm

floppymoose wrote:Does Iggy in mean Lee is out?

No
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 6:58 pm

and1GS wrote:I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I hope not. Lee has a role as a fill in 2/3 for injuries that plays defense, doesn't do dumb stuff and shoots well from 3. Absurdly limited, but he has real value.

Logically, I bet we keep him as the 14th man. Only way I don't see that happening is if an unbelievable TPMLE option popped up.

Yep
510TWSS
General Manager
And1: 2,863

Post#53 » by 510TWSS » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:00 pm

half the team needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap between games
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#54 » by Warriorfan » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:01 pm

Warriors improved

Oubre becomes Klay
Paschal and Smiley become Kuminga Moody
Bazemore becomes Otto Porter Bejelinca Iggy

Poole and Wiseman should improve
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Post#55 » by clyde21 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:04 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:tbh...i'd put Iggy as the back up point, low minutes 2nd/3rd unit initiator, and ask him just to defend guards.

Steph / Iggy
Klay / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / OPJ / Kuminga
Dray / JTA / Bjelica
Looney / Wiseman

we can keep Lee as PG3 I guess as a bone for being Steph's bro in law, doesn't really matter at that point, also bring in Chriss to provide more depth in front court
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Steph / Iggy
Klay / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / OPJ / Kuminga
Dray / JTA / Bjelica
Looney / Wiseman

we can keep Lee as PG3 I guess as a bone for being Steph's bro in law, doesn't really matter at that point, also bring in Chriss to provide more depth in front court

That leaves the Warriors at 15 players. Lee or Chriss would be on the bubble.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#57 » by Mob Byers » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:21 pm

Im pretty hyped, can't wait for some action! Summer league isn't enough.

Probably the deepest team we've had since 2015
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#58 » by tal57 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Steph / Iggy
Klay / Poole / Moody
Wiggins / OPJ / Kuminga
Dray / JTA / Bjelica
Looney / Wiseman

If GS keep Lee (which I bet would be the case), bringing anyone else (like Chriss) requires either 2 for 1 trade of opening up the 15th roster spot. I don't think at this point the need to bring in Chriss or PG2 overwhelms the desire to keep only 14 spots filled. Not because they want to keep the spot for the MLE. I doubt they'll use the MLE regardless. The only players out there who deserve GS tax enhanced MLE, will want much more than TPMLE, or MLEs being equal will go to either better contending or more comfortable situations (like Batum and Mills did). So if they decide to bring in Chriss, or another PG2 they have to either send Lee away, Trade 2 for 1 or open up the 15th spot.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:54 pm

tal57 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

If GS keep Lee (which I bet would be the case), bringing anyone else (like Chriss) requires either 2 for 1 trade of opening up the 15th roster spot. I don't think at this point the need to bring in Chriss or PG2 overwhelms the desire to keep only 14 spots filled. Not because they want to keep the spot for the MLE. I doubt they'll use the MLE regardless. The only players out there who deserve GS tax enhanced MLE, will want much more than TPMLE, or MLEs being equal will go to either better contending or more comfortable situations (like Batum and Mills did). So if they decide to bring in Chriss, or another PG2 they have to either send Lee away, Trade 2 for 1 or open up the 15th spot.

Curry, Poole, GP2
Klay, Moody, Lee
Wiggins, Porter, Iguodala
Green, JTA, Kuminga
Wiseman, Looney, Bjelica

I think they don't go into the season with 15. GP2 is my guess to be cut in the next several days because of his contract.

Then there would be a spot for Chriss, but if they want to go with 14 they'd have to move someone else out to get back down to 14.

But those decisions can wait until after camp except GP2.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,796

Post#60 » by floppymoose » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:01 pm

This article addresses the roster impacts of Iggy signing, and specifically mentions Lee: https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/what-andre-iguodalas-warriors-return-could-mean-rest-roster

Return to Golden State Warriors