Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Re: Front office has crushed it 

Post#41 » by Onus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
Onus wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:

The front office has said they can succeed at a two track strategy. I think that defining success or failure in those two tracks is important. It doesn’t require you making a prediction, just setting a standard for what does or doesn’t qualify as “crushing it”

I think floppy’s position of “ way better than Cohan” is a softball. They moved the team out of Oakland ostensibly to have the Amex black card necessary to compete at all costs. I think we’re across the rubicon from “A great time out” being a result worthy of the increased price of attendance.

It’s actually why I have been in favor of their two track strategy. I don’t think that they can or should accept getting another Curry chip and burning the place to the ground to do it. I don’t think this is a Kobiyashi Maru situation. I do believe they can and should max out Curry’s peak. And for me they also need to continue to win meaningfully after Curry declines. I feel that they owe us that. But I also feel like I have a reasonable barometer for what I consider delivering on promises made as I laid out above.

To this point, you’re not maximizing currys timeline if we aren’t a top 4ish team which is why top 4 should be the goal.

I think they can be top 4 next year. I do not believe that to be an achievable goal this year. Maximizing Curry doesn't necessarily mean selling out for this year. Klay is not going to be 100% until too late in the schedule to make this a top 4 roster (if at all.) I don't think the assets are there this year to get to top 4 with or without a trade.

NEXT year, with Wiggins as an expiring and the Rookies having a year of development our young assets should increase in value, on court or in trade. that increase in asset value combined with Wiggings salary number makes us a VERY compelling trade partner at this deadline or in the offseason. That's where I think the rubber hits the road. Maximizing Curry "this year" at the expense of asset appreciation and the best possible chance to not just contend, but to build another champion probably takes another offseason. Next year there should be no excuse for failing to achieve in the top 4.

A lot of the "Maximize Curry" argument has been rooted in the fallacy that a contender can be built immediately if they would just dump all the assets into a trade for player _____. Beal? Doesn't want out and wouldn't be able to play half the games. Simmons? Draymond lite with a glass jaw. Lilliar (intriguing, but still hasn't asked out and highly duplicative of Curry.)

The increase in value of Kuminga and Wiseman after a year of quality development (on court or in trade) puts us in a stronger position next year. The "cost" of rushing isn't just about the either/or of Win Curry a chip or waste his remaining prime to build a contender way down the road. It could be a matter of rushing into an inferior deal this year, vs winning a compelling deal/roster next year.

I'm curious what are your expectations for this year if top 4 is for next year?

I don't think there's a star available currently that is worth trading for. But I do think that if you aren't a top 4 team with a prime curry that you're wasting a prime year. If Morey would come down for his ask for Ben I'd think about doing Wiggins and either Kuminga or Wiseman. The whole he's duplicative with Draymond, we start Looney for goodness sake and Ben is a better defender and offensive player than Looney. Ben is an elite defender that you could put on Luka, Lebron, KD and feel great about those matchups and is a better defender than Wiggins is, which leaves Draymond to guard the center and clean up. Offensively it may be tougher but if Klay can be back then Klay, Poole, Curry should give us plenty of shooting to open up the lane. Not optimal but would be workable. But at Morey's asking price that's a hard no.

I will add it’s probably unrealistic to trade wiseman to Philly also with how much we’re putting into training wiseman.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#42 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:48 pm

I think we can be very close to top 4 this year, but I do think integrating Klay and then playing against good teams with him at less than 100% is going to be more challenging that most are supposing. I just don't think there's enough runway for this team to secure enough wins for top 4, but I don't see us falling below 6 under any circumstance other than a Curry injury. It's a narrow band because I do see us on the come, we just need more time.

Top 4 might even be a low bar for next year. Assuming Klay is back, we should be able to hit top 3 next year, either with development or a significant upgrade trade using Wiggins expiring.

I'm very optomistic about this team and it's trajectory. I'm just not impatient.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#43 » by Onus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:I think we can be very close to top 4 this year, but I do think integrating Klay and then playing against good teams with him at less than 100% is going to be more challenging that most are supposing. I just don't think there's enough runway for this team to secure enough wins for top 4, but I don't see us falling below 6 under any circumstance other than a Curry injury. It's a narrow band because I do see us on the come, we just need more time.

Top 4 might even be a low bar for next year. Assuming Klay is back, we should be able to hit top 3 next year, either with development or a significant upgrade trade using Wiggins expiring.

I'm very optomistic about this team and it's trajectory. I'm just not impatient.

So you have a very similar bar to mine you just have a slightly lower bar at 6. Interesting
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#44 » by ShootersShoot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:57 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
Solid position to do what?

Again, I’m not skeptical. I think we are in a solid position to be a home seed and/or reach the finals by next year. To me that will be achieving contention objective.

I am just really curious what standard everyone else is willing to hold the front office to in terms of measuring success.

How come nobody wants to say where the goalposts sit (on either side of this debate)?

Solid position as in not too many holes overall, HOF caliber vets, with lottery picked youth developing, and a young guy looking ready to break out in poole. Obviously there's unknowns like how the youth develops, if poole is fools gold, and klay's return. Looking at the depth chart, is there really an area where I would be terribly concerned about going into the season? No, and that to me is solid. Maybe we could use a true backup point guard, but with the way poole is playing that may not be necessary.

As for the barometer for the FO, obviously the biggest one is development of the young players. If these guys dont pan out, it will look really bad for the guys making the personnel decisions. On paper, we are in a solid position. How it plays out, is unknown.

And by solid position, by no means does that mean contenders for the forseeable future. Way too many question marks for that.

The front office has said they can succeed at a two track strategy. I think that defining success or failure in those two tracks is important. It doesn’t require you making a prediction, just setting a standard for what does or doesn’t qualify as “crushing it”

I think floppy’s position of “ way better than Cohan” is a softball. They moved the team out of Oakland ostensibly to have the Amex black card necessary to compete at all costs. I think we’re across the rubicon from “A great time out” being a result worthy of the increased price of attendance.

It’s actually why I have been in favor of their two track strategy. I don’t think that they can or should accept getting another Curry chip and burning the place to the ground to do it. I don’t think this is a Kobiyashi Maru situation. I do believe they can and should max out Curry’s peak. And for me they also need to continue to win meaningfully after Curry declines. I feel that they owe us that. But I also feel like I have a reasonable barometer for what I consider delivering on promises made as I laid out above.

I like that we have options. We do have what it takes to trade for a win now all star level player (wiggin's salary + desirable young assets), but at the same time, there is a chance these young guys can give us something not only after but also during the time we have curry still playing at a high level. Its a tough conundrum but I would rather have this than just simply an aging team without any assets to improve. There's honestly no guarantee either way. We could trade all these guys for someone and still not win a chip. We could keep these guys and they can all be busts, and then there's everything in between.

Return to Golden State Warriors