ImageImageImageImageImage

James Wiseman 2021/2022

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: James Wiseman 2021/2022 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:G league did wonders for poole, why would we think it wouldnt help jw? The guys going to play like 10-15 min a game anyways, he can be sent down and we wont have to worry about fatigue or anything like that.

because not all players develop similarly?

also G League is not conducive to big man play at all.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#62 » by watch1958 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:20 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:G league did wonders for poole, why would we think it wouldnt help jw? The guys going to play like 10-15 min a game anyways, he can be sent down and we wont have to worry about fatigue or anything like that.
Couple of things. First I agree that they should find a way to use GL to develop him. Second, however, the others are right, developing a big is different. They need to be really strategic using it, and make sure Wiseman knows the plan. Third, one reason Poole bought in was that the bubble last year was a short concentrated group of games. Clearly defined end, and a whole bunch of court time.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#63 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:57 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:He needs to play organized basketball and he needs to play where he has to contend with opponent hands at his altitude. I’m not taking about post ups either. I’m talking about protecting the paint, rebounding, catch and protecting the ball. The comp doesn’t need to be NBA caliber per se, but if he’s playing against 6’7 guys playing center he is going to learn more bad habits than good.

I disagree that he went back to square one every time. He took steps back, but not to the beginning and he was WAY ahead of where he started by his last 2021 appearance.

I’ve adjusted my no-D league stance to “at least make sure the D league games he plays will be in some way NBA relevant.” I don’t want him playing in glorified 24 hour fitness runs. The things that will work for him in those games will be a detriment to his NBA prospects. Otherwise he can learn the way 19 and 20 year old big men have learned for about a century…in practice

I figure in G- League every center is either too small or too slow for Wiseman. NBA players size a guy up quickly and attack their Weakness. I did not think Wiseman looked like a guy with good speed moves or good power moves. if you aren't LeBron, Kobe, KG or Kemp you don't have NBA moves coming out of high school. Essentially wiseman came outof high school last year. Even Kobe, And KG were not ready to be better than average their first year in the NBA.

I don't want the old men and (Draymond and Curry) busting their #* giving Wiseman a challenge in practice. Also Loone is too brittle.I don't want Wiseman crashing into Looney but I want Wiseman crashing into somebody with reckess abandon. Rookies are supposed to be aggressive and foul propne. I figure Wiseman is still really a rookie.

I want Wiseman flying out of control into people.

Wiseman seem to be thinking too much and trying to not make mistakes but on. There was high school videos where these Brother from LA were abusing Wiseman by being assertavie and making quick hard moves against him. The Mobley brothers looked playground polished like they had been playing against quality competition for years. Playing against each other probably helped. If I could combine the best of the Mobley brothers with the best of Wiseman the resulting player would help the Warriors win championships now and in the future. It make take Wiseman years to get the instincts that the Mobley brothers have. Why is & More still be a useful bench player even if he never does develop good basketball instincts. I also hope Wiseman learns how to enjoy beating up on smaller people .

I hope Wiseman's reaction time is fixable. We don't want a gentile giant and I don't like the deer in the headlights look.

On defense in G-league I want Wiseman to spend 5 games grabbing every rebound until he fouls out. Then 5 more games blocking every shot until he fouls out. Then 5 more games just playing man defense while ignoring team defense and boxing out his man so that the opposing center gets no rebounds and no shots. I want him to play looser.

When Wiseman tries to do things, I want it to work until he has good instincts. At the beginning of last year I felt he did not have good instincts. If he isn't going to G-League the bring in some good practice players for him to develop his skills against. Lonney is so smart that he will make Wiseman feel stupid in practice. I don't want Wiseman to feel stupid.

We got ourselves a potential cross between Robert Parish, Brad Daugherty, David Robinson and JaVale Mgee, (with potential Channing Frye like better shooting than any of those guys had) I want Wiseman to become that good. I don't want just a Channing Frye clone. I don't want a bigger slower version of Stromile Swift. The lack of college experience makes me nervous. Rookies straight out of high school are going to stuggle vs NBA vets. Even Kobe needed a couple years be for he was really special. I think think they should play vs inferior competion and then later try to do to NBA vets what worked at college or in the G-League.

What do I really think we are getting in Wisenan? 7 parts Channy Frye, 1 part David Robison, 1 part Robert Parish, 1 part Brad Daugherty, 1 part JaVale, 1 part Zaza, 1 part Thabeet, 1 part Stromile Swift, 1 part Darius Miles, 1 part Benoit Benjamin, and one part some 7 foot stiff back up high school center that trips over his own feet, has no basket IQ, has the reaction time of a telephone pole, no fire or aggressiveness, and only touched a basketball because he was 7 foot tall and everybody pressured him to play basketball. Is this a good basketball player. This guy should be drafted in the top 3 just for potential and because you can't teach height but when his career is done you look back and say he should have been drafted 8th.

But stop Bitching about Lamelo
Since I came to California in 1991 when Gatling was a rookie the Wrriors have not had much luck with centers.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#64 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Warriors have plenty of offense, but they don't have shotblocking, defensive rebounding, or somebody to stop opposing Low post scorers

Centers?
This one's for What'sACenter

If I could have the best of James Wiseman and either of Clifford Rozier or Carlos Rogers wrapped into one player, the resulting player would be an all star.
I think James Wiseman is emotionally stable which is not something you could say for Carlos Rogers and "Clifford was here." Oh Siri did a funny one. Clifford was here is a Siri screwup but I like it. Unlike Joe Barely Cares, Clifford Rozier cared.

Cliff Rozier died apparently broke at age 45 in 2018.
He had schizophrenia, was hearing voices. I don't think schizophrenia or psych meds kill you. Maybe I'm wrong about the psych that's not killing you .

I had a friend who has the first round draft pick in the NBA in the early 1970s. He died young. My friend became homeless and was living a little Debbies because you get a lot of calories cheap from Little Debbie's but they are good for your heart. When you can't afford food, eating a lot of Little Debbies sort of makes sense because four people without a kitchen A little Debbies is probably the cheapest form of calories.

Dennis Johnson died young and he was only 6' 4". I met DJ. A lot of NBA players died young. I think being tall, really tall causes strokes and heart attacks.
Drugs will kill you. Cocaine or meth will reck your heart.

My ranking of Warriors centers since 1991
Chris ( please don't make me play center ) Webber (Kings)
1991 what is the year I came to California, and the year Gatling was a rookie
1991 was a good team.
Tim Hardaway, Chris Mullin, Sarunas Marciulionis, Mario Elie,
Vincent askew, Rod Higgins, Tyrone Hill, Billy Owens Rookie
Chris Gatling Rookie, Alexander rookie, Judd Buechler (deep shooter
Alton Lister decrepit, Jim Peterson decrepit

Chris Gatling and Victor Alexander and Billy Owens were Webber's sidekicks
In the post Spreewell trade revolt against Don Nelson.
But why did Mario Ellie and Vincent Askew leave.
I think Don Nelson was already getting on players nerves with his John Wayne, marine drill sergeant Red Auerbach act. The 90s was not a time to be screaming at players and disrespecting basketball players. People were obsessed with whether or not they were respected. Nelson was fun; everybody agreed; but apparently he was also a jerk.

They were so fun that I stick around for the Adolal Foyle years.
Years of pain. But years of pain were worth it to be able to watch the 2016 Warriors
Roll over 1982 Lakers. The 2016 Warriors play the prettiest basketball ever and they're only competition for prettiness is the Harlem Globetrotters

The 2020 Warriors could use Adonal Foyle

Fools had Robert Parish and gave him up for Joe Barely Cares,
I was in Boston When Parrish was traded so I was happy

Peak year, for any team any year, value as a center for a random team
Fools had Robert Parish and gave him up for Joe Barely cares

Jermaine O'Neal (Pacers) the DeMarcus Cousins (Kings)
Ronnie Saikaly (Heat or Andrew Bogut
Tyrone Hill, Cavaliers

Peak year, for any team any year, value as a center for the 2021-22 Warriors and 2016 Warriors

Andrew Bogut Warriors/Bucks
Demarcus Cousins (Kings)
Jermaine O'Neal (Pacers)
Ronnie Saikaly (Heat)
Andris Biedrins (for maybe two years)
Alton Lister (Bucks)
Erik Dampier (His last year with the Warriors was his best year)
Dampier's next five years with the Mavericks were his second best years

Peak year with the Warriors value a center for the 2021-22 Warriors and 2016 Warriors

Chris ( please don't make me play center ) Webber, Weber Spreewell playoff team
Andrew Bogut
Andris Biedrins (for maybe 2 years) and
Erick Dampier
Draymond Green (not a real center, and. He is too valuable to wear him out banging with the big guys.

Javale McGee, (but only if Kerr was and wrong he could pay more minutes)
Festus Ezeli
David Lee, (not a real center, but he was center the center by the default)
Adonal Foyle
Jermaine O'Neal
Chris Gatling, (but he was not a real center)
Mo Speights
DeMarcus Cousins (never really healthy)
Tyrone Hill (not a real center)
Andrew DeClark
Troy Murphy (not a real center)
Clifford Rozier
Victor Alexander
There's nobody else I really wanna play it center.
On the current team I'd be happy to have Patrick O'Bryant as a 3rd center
Patrick O'Bryant
Damian Jones
Carlos Rodgers
(Rod Higgins) (not a real center, small ball, very small ball)
Tom Tolbert (not a Real center, small ball)
Allens melodies
Alton lister
Jim Peterson
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#65 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:51 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Couple of things. First I agree that they should find a way to use GL to develop him. Second, however, the others are right, developing a big is different. They need to be really strategic using it, and make sure Wiseman knows the plan. Third, one reason Poole bought in was that the bubble last year was a short concentrated group of games. Clearly defined end, and a whole bunch of court time.

Yea, you guys are right that bigs can become an afterthought in that type of environment..I still think he should get some run there though unless getting injured becomes a concern. No real reason to not give him some time with the developmental team. If he is any good he will find a way to contribute there.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#66 » by Samurai » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:40 pm

watch1958 wrote:

While it sounds like the GL will be used, likely early in his rehab to work on conditioning and timing, Anthony Slater said that the team is not planning to toggle him back and forth between SF and SC. In other words, once he is back with the big club, he's back for good. The fact that developing bigs is a bit different is likely a big reason why the team hired Dejan Milojevic. His Mega Basket program has produced the likes of Nikola Jovic, Ivica Zubac, Boban Marjanovic, and Goga Bitadze. Steve Kerr has pointed out that European big men are just better prepared for the NBA than American big men and that he believes the way they are developed there is a big factor. And it sounds like Milojevic is being assisted by numerous assistants in this task, primarily Ron Adams.

The other tidbit is that Wiseman's role was and can continue to be a big factor in his success or failure. Kerr has stated repeatedly that he "over-complicated" his role too early, similar to throwing someone just learning how to swim in the deep end and hope they survive, and both Kerr and Milojevic have stressed that they are determined to simplify things to make Wiseman and his teammates more successful. Sounds like they are leaning towards limiting his minutes with Steph and Dray. When he returns, he will be paired as a pick-and-roll partner with Poole while Steph and Dray rest at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

Some of the specific drills Milojevic has been seen working on are ballhandling (including juggling while dribbling!) designed to limit turnovers based on dribbling into traffic or dropping catchable passes, slowing down post moves (Milo felt some of his post moves last year seemed 'rushed'), and footwork (with Ron Adams as the defender, to clean up his footwork spinning out of DHO's while still protecting the ball).

And just so it doesn't get lost, Milojevic also stressed that he is working with Looney a lot as well; it isn't just Wiseman.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#67 » by a8bil » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:49 pm

My sense was and is that Wiseman needs to be coached to play as a big man. Penny Hardaway trained him post HS and he never had any real college experience. The result is that he has some decent open-court skills, but his skills in the paint are wanting. He needs to vastly improve his rebounding and defensive skills. If he does, he'll be a huge upgrade on Looney (if he's used the same way as Looney), even if he doesn't improve one iota offensively.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#68 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:18 pm

No JW, KumBuckets or Klay is big time bummer for the season opener
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
shazam_guy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,136

Post#69 » by shazam_guy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:04 am

Yeah, but except for Kuminga, it's not exactly a surprise. And he might not have got any minutes anyway.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#70 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 pm

not sure why it's taking this guy so long to recover, he's always had some soft tendencies but this seams way too long for an MCL...also not sure how many minutes he'll get if Bjelica continues to kill it.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#71 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:07 pm

He might be the 4th C behind looney, bjelly, and dray.
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#72 » by Currygoat » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:13 pm

He needs to be thrown in a package for Ben Simmons. He will lose us games if he gets minutes on this team
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#73 » by Onus » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Maybe wiseman can take minutes from looney, because it doesn't look like he's taking them from bjelica
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,094

Post#74 » by The-Power » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:14 pm

Onus wrote:Maybe wiseman can take minutes from looney, because it doesn't look like he's taking them from bjelica

The way they have Bjelica play on defense and with his offensive repertoire, we might actually see Wiseman and Bjelica on the floor together some.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#75 » by Onus » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:29 pm

The-Power wrote:
Onus wrote:Maybe wiseman can take minutes from looney, because it doesn't look like he's taking them from bjelica

The way they have Bjelica play on defense and with his offensive repertoire, we might actually see Wiseman and Bjelica on the floor together some.

It's possible but we have Iguodala, JTA, Porter, Green, Kuminga that can play 4. That 4 spot is a lot more crowded than the 5.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#76 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:17 pm

Currygoat wrote:He needs to be thrown in a package for Ben Simmons. He will lose us games if he gets minutes on this team

Why does a team with Joel Embiid have any interest in James Wiseman?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#77 » by and1GS » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:not sure why it's taking this guy so long to recover, he's always had some soft tendencies but this seams way too long for an MCL...also not sure how many minutes he'll get if Bjelica continues to kill it.

Well he tore his meniscus, not MCL, and average recovery + ramp up time is 3-6 months and we are just about at month 6 so that seems pretty standard. But yeh, big time soft tendencies. That meniscus better rub some dirt on itself and get back out there.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
clyde21
RealGM

Post#78 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:39 pm

and1GS wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not sure why it's taking this guy so long to recover, he's always had some soft tendencies but this seams way too long for an MCL...also not sure how many minutes he'll get if Bjelica continues to kill it.

Well he tore his meniscus, not MCL, and average recovery + ramp up time is 3-6 months and we are just about at month 6 so that seems pretty standard. But yeh, big time soft tendencies. That meniscus better rub some dirt on itself and get back out there.

yes meniscus, and 6 mos is high end for meniscus, and he's already over that at this point, which is ridiculous for a 20 yr old tbh...and yea, he's displayed some real soft tendencies already, so a **** recovery time is par for the course for Wiseman at this point.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#79 » by WarriorGM » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:
and1GS wrote:

yes meniscus, and 6 mos is high end for meniscus, and he's already over that at this point, which is ridiculous for a 20 yr old tbh...and yea, he's displayed some real soft tendencies already, so a **** recovery time is par for the course for Wiseman at this point.

As I understand it there are generally two approaches to the injury he had. One is quick but potentially less durable in the long run and the other takes longer but is more sound. Given his youth they took the longer route to give the best chance for it to heal for an extended career.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#80 » by GSWFan1994 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm

I believe he has no issues health-wise, it's just the team being extra careful giving him the green light.

Return to Golden State Warriors