ImageImageImageImageImage

Start Bjelica

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

5paceman
Pro Prospect
And1: 486

Re: Start Bjelica 

Post#21 » by 5paceman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:17 am

He can play center but is best not at 5 if you want a real anchor.

Chriss just got waived!! Sign him and forget about a backup backup point for the last spot that is still open. Damion Lee is now only a point if you want. We haven't seen Wise yet and look like a possible contender. We are missing a center who can guard big 5's ok and is a lob threat.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:30 am

Big J wrote:
clyde21 wrote:it's weird that 8 years into this regime yall still dont know what's required of our bigs.

It's a good thing you are the only one here who knows, we'd be lost without you champ.

it's just weird seeing warriors fans still not understand what centers in this offense, especially staring centers need to do...going back to pretending Wiseman is a good fit here to threads like this
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#23 » by FNQ » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:28 am

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Agree with you, Looney isn’t ideal. But beggars can’t be choosers. Unless Gasol comes through that door 20 lbs lighter and willing to play for discount there is no ideal player barring trade.

There may be some hope Kuminga could learn to be young Draymond and get 5-10 minutes in at 5. But he doesn’t help this year as he doesn’t have the experience yet.

Looney's fine, not my issue. Its more the dismissal of Bjelica as a poor defender, when he might be equal or even better than Looney in the same situation. He's not been that bad of a defender historically, just not terribly mobile. And neither is Looney. But Bjelica had to guard SF/PF a lot more than Looney has as well
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#24 » by watch1958 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 am

Not in favor of starting Bjelica. But I have to admit, watching the video of him putting Aflalo in a headlock never grows old. :lol:
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,400

Post#25 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:53 am

FNQ wrote:Looney's fine, not my issue. Its more the dismissal of Bjelica as a poor defender, when he might be equal or even better than Looney in the same situation. He's not been that bad of a defender historically, just not terribly mobile. And neither is Looney. But Bjelica had to guard SF/PF a lot more than Looney has as well

Bjelica guards some situations well and others poorly. Looney has trouble with size. Neither of them are who I am comfortable during the playoffs. And that includes Wiseman who doesn’t have a full year under his belt and is 20. Yes I am age discriminating.

Haven’t really been happy with the center being an afterthought when this team did it’s best with certain types of bigs. And when they didn’t have center depth they struggled.

To put it in perspective, the trend has been from Bogut to Zaza West to Javale to broken Cousins Damian Jones?. The vision for the future center degraded over time with them heavily invested in Jones and Smailagic. They have strayed away from their original DNA blueprint to something else which in my opinion has been a total fail instead of choosing what worked.

And they were fortunate to get Porter and Bjelica this year. So I hope they make this year happen by getting the final piece of the puzzle because next year it is not guaranteed to get veteran depth back again.
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#26 » by sjballer03 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:20 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
clyde21 wrote:it's weird that 8 years into this regime yall still dont know what's required of our bigs.

Lol, what's weird is replying to a statement in one post thread, with a condescending yall.

Yall should stop doing that.

Condescending is Clyde's middle name :lol:
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,829

Post#27 » by cdubbz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:30 pm

I like Bjelica off the bench. It's a different look at a backup Center. Let Looney start against Jokic, AD, Gobert, Ayton and all the elite bigs. Bjelica is fine coming off the bench for some shooting and passing.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#28 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:46 pm

lol at "what is required by our bigs"

When your bigs stink...it's all you fricken get.

You guys are essentially saying that all we would need from Tim Duncan is to set picks and roll....???

Our bigs have always played a limited roll because they stunk offensively.

Anyway...book it. BJ will be the starter by at least midway through the season. He'll be nailing 3's and at least resisting lower post guys like Dwight Howard. I'm certain at that point you all will be yearning for Looney lol
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#29 » by WarriorGM » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:51 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:lol at "what is required by our bigs"

You guys are essentially saying that all we would need from Tim Duncan is to set picks and roll....???

Anyway...book it. BJ will be the starter by at least midway through the season. He'll be nailing 3's and at least resisting lower post guys like Dwight Howard. I'm certain at that point you all will be yearning for Looney lol

The potential problem with that is that it papers over the weakness that may then get exposed in the playoffs at the worst possible time. Ezeli looked serviceable during the regular season but when he became a turnstile in the finals it would require radical measures to plug the leak.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#30 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:51 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:lol at "what is required by our bigs"

The potential problem with that is that it papers over the weakness that may then get exposed in the playoffs at the worst possible time. Ezeli looked serviceable during the regular season but when he became a turnstile in the finals it would require radical measures to plug the leak.

I agree with that....Problem is Looney get's used in ISO's as well.

For the playoffs I suspect Warriors will go to Draymond at center and play small ball down the stretch....
Curry, Poole, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond (crap this is going to be fun)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#31 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:41 pm

Btw has any one seen Bjelica set a proper pick? He never tries to set a pick to get the ball handler’s defender off. He just slips through, even when Steph is handling the ball, he doesn’t set a proper pick.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,234

Post#32 » by Impuniti » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 am

GunnerWRX wrote:Btw has any one seen Bjelica set a proper pick? He never tries to set a pick to get the ball handler’s defender off. He just slips through, even when Steph is handling the ball, he doesn’t set a proper pick.

It's something he will need to work on if he wants serious minutes throughout the season. Draymond and Loon set A+ tier screens, Wiseman and Belly need to improve that significantly to fit Warriors system. Especially with so many shooters on the team.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 146

Post#33 » by Dubs 707 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:46 pm

Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#34 » by a8bil » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:04 pm

What I like about Bjelica is that he plays smart. I have no doubt GSW can teach him a few new tricks to make him better both defensively and as a weapon in our system. His outside shot speaks for itself in the argument for his role starting. It's whether he can learn to set better screens and learn his role sufficiently in the defensive scheme to keep himself on the floor. My bet is he can.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#35 » by ShootersShoot » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:59 pm

They are both (Looney and bjeli) below average starting bigs. I'd say bjeli off the bench makes more sense because he gets to defend back ups and his shooting/passing becomes a nice spark. Looney needs guys to create for him to have any chance of contributing to the offense and the starting lineup has better passers. Plus he is a better defender overall, which is needed more against starting bigs.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#36 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:03 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Btw has any one seen Bjelica set a proper pick? He never tries to set a pick to get the ball handler’s defender off. He just slips through, even when Steph is handling the ball, he doesn’t set a proper pick.

I'm fine with the way he's setting screens because his role is to pop and space the floor. Bjelica has been really good attacking closeouts and passing the ball off the dribble. Slipping the screen to pop allows him to get a running start on defenders who close out on him.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#37 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Nah, Green and Looney are good.

Maybe if he can prove himself in the regular season as a major upgrade/fit. Kerr can give him some minutes with Curry and Green off the bench.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#38 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

I'm fine with the way he's setting screens because his role is to pop and space the floor. Bjelica has been really good attacking closeouts and passing the ball off the dribble. Slipping the screen to pop allows him to get a running start on defenders who close out on him.

Even when the pick is for Steph? I don't agree at all.

Slipping the pick does nothing especially for Steph. It is much more effective to set a real screen for Steph -> either Steph gets a shot, or Steph is blitzed by 2 defenders where Steph will pass to an *open* Belly and all the second/third actions.

Unless one prefers Steph not getting a shot, then slipping the screen with Steph having the ball is just a bad screen period.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#39 » by Flash Falcon X » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:52 pm

I think Kerr prefers Bjelica's shooting for the second unit. Especially in conjuction with OPJ's shooting and Andre facilitating the offense.
#DubNation
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#40 » by floppymoose » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 pm

This talk of Bjelica being as good as Looney on defense is.... wrong.

Bjelica was a Sacremento King last year. And their defense was worse when Bjelica was on the court. Let that sink in.

Return to Golden State Warriors