ImageImageImageImageImage

Start Bjelica

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,603

Re: Start Bjelica 

Post#61 » by parsnips33 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:12 pm

Bjelica reminds me of Boris Diaw. Slow and smart, can put the ball down and make a play
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,400

Post#62 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:15 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:I think that if Bjelica keeps up his play on offense and continues to look competent on D, there will be serious consideration to keeping him in his rotation spot and playing heavy minutes with the second unit. Bjelica's playmaking makes the second unit click. Poole is the only guy in that unit who can get to the rim off the dribble; they need Bjelica to drive and kick to create shots as well.

I think the player who has the most to lose now is Looney. I wouldn't be surprised if Wiseman gets run with the starters for the sake of keeping the second unit together.

I think Wiseman fits in better with the second unit. It’s better for him to learn on the job against other reserves. Also if he plays with Poole, that’s building future Warriors chemistry. Next generation Warriors.

They can keep the second unit together with Bjelica in at stretch 4. Iguodala can take days off or work Mookie Blaylock hours. Just keep Iguodala fresh and ready for the playoffs.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#63 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:I think that if Bjelica keeps up his play on offense and continues to look competent on D, there will be serious consideration to keeping him in his rotation spot and playing heavy minutes with the second unit. Bjelica's playmaking makes the second unit click. Poole is the only guy in that unit who can get to the rim off the dribble; they need Bjelica to drive and kick to create shots as well.

I think the player who has the most to lose now is Looney. I wouldn't be surprised if Wiseman gets run with the starters for the sake of keeping the second unit together.

I think Wiseman fits in better with the second unit. It’s better for him to learn on the job against other reserves. Also if he plays with Poole, that’s building future Warriors chemistry. Next generation Warriors.

They can keep the second unit together with Bjelica in at stretch 4. Iguodala can take days off or work Mookie Blaylock hours. Just keep Iguodala fresh and ready for the playoffs.

What you're proposing reads like a nightmare to me. Bjelica has been really solid on defense at the 5. There's several years of data that show he's not a great defender at the 4 and that lineups with him at the 4 are generally blah. Bjelica at the 4 completely cramps the spacing and gets rid of the huge advantage he has at the 5.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#64 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Samurai wrote:
Impuniti wrote:Team can "start" Loon and then just play Bjelica more minutes, best of both worlds.

Then we'll see what happens once Wiseman is back.

Initial impressions from Warriors staff is that Wiseman will not play a lot, at least initially, with Steph and Dray. He is expected to be the regular pick-and-roll partner with Poole at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters when Steph and Dray typically sit. Since Bjelly looked good alongside Draymond tonight, that could work out well for us.

I think that if Bjelica keeps up his play on offense and continues to look competent on D, there will be serious consideration to keeping him in his rotation spot and playing heavy minutes with the second unit. Bjelica's playmaking makes the second unit click. Poole is the only guy in that unit who can get to the rim off the dribble; they need Bjelica to drive and kick to create shots as well.

I think OPJ might have some minutes shaved too.. Bjelica can play some 4, though not a ton, for us. Or maybe play him at 5 and Wiseman at 4, defensively? I'm not too worried about integrating Wiseman at this point. I'd still rather see him in GL, learning how to react to different defenses instead of deciding what hes gonna go do before he gets the ball. Until I see that, I think he should be out of the rotation altogether, aside from junk time
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:40 pm

FNQ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Samurai wrote:Initial impressions from Warriors staff is that Wiseman will not play a lot, at least initially, with Steph and Dray. He is expected to be the regular pick-and-roll partner with Poole at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters when Steph and Dray typically sit. Since Bjelly looked good alongside Draymond tonight, that could work out well for us.

I think that if Bjelica keeps up his play on offense and continues to look competent on D, there will be serious consideration to keeping him in his rotation spot and playing heavy minutes with the second unit. Bjelica's playmaking makes the second unit click. Poole is the only guy in that unit who can get to the rim off the dribble; they need Bjelica to drive and kick to create shots as well.

I think OPJ might have some minutes shaved too.. Bjelica can play some 4, though not a ton, for us. Or maybe play him at 5 and Wiseman at 4, defensively? I'm not too worried about integrating Wiseman at this point. I'd still rather see him in GL, learning how to react to different defenses instead of deciding what hes gonna go do before he gets the ball. Until I see that, I think he should be out of the rotation altogether, aside from junk time

Yeah, OPJ was rough. I've felt like his defensive mobility has gotten worse with each passing game and I was shocked by how slow he was to react last night.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#66 » by Impuniti » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:57 pm

FNQ wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
Samurai wrote:Initial impressions from Warriors staff is that Wiseman will not play a lot, at least initially, with Steph and Dray. He is expected to be the regular pick-and-roll partner with Poole at the start of the 2nd and 4th quarters when Steph and Dray typically sit. Since Bjelly looked good alongside Draymond tonight, that could work out well for us.

100% on Wiseman. He should be spending several weeks in the GL not only to get to optimum levels physically, but he needs game time as a player. Just to learn how to play and how to react. I would wait until he starts dominating there and then bring him back to start integrating him towards the end of the year.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#67 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:19 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Here's ILOVEIT on the streets, a few weeks ago:

PS: some Warriors fans had the same reaction as the guy on 1'50''... :lol:

LOL. Even a blind squirrel.... :)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,411

Post#68 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:23 pm

FNQ wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:
Coxy wrote:I just saw someone refer to Bjelica today as a "Poor mans Jokic".

I like it.

I think that's a closer comparison than David Lee.

Bjelica's game is nothing like Lee's.

what

I'm with you....I think he's David Lee if Lee was a center.

BUT....he's a much much better shooter....
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,400

Post#69 » by SpreeChokeJob » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:28 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

What you're proposing reads like a nightmare to me. Bjelica has been really solid on defense at the 5. There's several years of data that show he's not a great defender at the 4 and that lineups with him at the 4 are generally blah. Bjelica at the 4 completely cramps the spacing and gets rid of the huge advantage he has at the 5.

I don’t see why it would cramp spacing. With a Poole Lee Porter Bjelica Wiseman lineup you have four guaranteed outside shooters and Wiseman could potentially be one as well.

I’m not sure in the Warriors defensive scheme it really matters what position a player plays. They are expected to cover everything they switch onto.

I just thinking having Wiseman play in the starting lineup would be a downgrade from Looney at least for now.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
FNQ wrote:
GunnerWRX wrote:
I think that's a closer comparison than David Lee.

Bjelica's game is nothing like Lee's.

what

Yup. Lee never developed 3pt range. And even when he made his jumpers, it didnt make the splash like Nemo's do, he almost always hit the back rim, making a big clunk. But the dribbling, passing, and positional defense is pretty similar. I wonder how Lee would have done if we never had Bogut and decided to run smaller lineups earlier
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:11 pm

FNQ wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
FNQ wrote:

what

Yup. Lee never developed 3pt range. And even when he made his jumpers, it didnt make the splash like Nemo's do, he almost always hit the back rim, making a big clunk. But the dribbling, passing, and positional defense is pretty similar. I wonder how Lee would have done if we never had Bogut and decided to run smaller lineups earlier

Steph/Klay/Andre/Dray/Lee was rocking something around +32 net rating with a DRTG in the 90’s in 2013/14.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:13 pm

SpreeChokeJob wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:

I don’t see why it would cramp spacing. With a Poole Lee Porter Bjelica Wiseman lineup you have four guaranteed outside shooters and Wiseman could potentially be one as well.

I’m not sure in the Warriors defensive scheme it really matters what position a player plays. They are expected to cover everything they switch onto.

I just thinking having Wiseman play in the starting lineup would be a downgrade from Looney at least for now.

That spacing could work, but I really do not like the defense of that unit. Bjelica is a good defender at the 5 and won’t be well matched up with 4’s, Wiseman is raw and frequently out of place, and OPJ does not have the foot speed to guard the perimeter right now.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,967

Post#73 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:31 pm

Bjelica looks to be potentially part of the new death lineup. We never needed to start our best lineup, we just finished with it. Looney is fine to start, especially against a big team. We'll see how this develops over time, but Kerr's approach with starters not being finishers has definitely worked.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,250

Post#74 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:58 pm

As much as I want wiseman to play and contribute, I can't see how he in any way can take minutes from Bjeli.
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:01 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:Bjelica looks to be potentially part of the new death lineup. We never needed to start our best lineup, we just finished with it. Looney is fine to start, especially against a big team. We'll see how this develops over time, but Kerr's approach with starters not being finishers has definitely worked.

I feel Bjeli compliments draymond up front as well. Them playing together gives us many different strengths up front. That combo of size, floor spacing, and passing Bjeli gives is something we've never had before from a role player. When he and draymond are playing together, they just might be one of the best passing front courts. That said, its only been one game. I don't think he can realistically play like this every game.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#76 » by Coxy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:09 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:Bjelica looks to be potentially part of the new death lineup. We never needed to start our best lineup, we just finished with it. Looney is fine to start, especially against a big team. We'll see how this develops over time, but Kerr's approach with starters not being finishers has definitely worked.

I feel Bjeli compliments draymond up front as well. Them playing together gives us many different strengths up front. That combo of size, floor spacing, and passing Bjeli gives is something we've never had before. When he and draymond are playing together, they just might be one of the best passing front courts. That said, its only been one game. I don't think he can realistically play like this every game.

The smart IQ passing is THE biggest plus side to have Iggy, Green and Bjeli on the court. They can all finish, and Bjeli can also shoot.

Kerr would have cracked a raging woody watching that lineup pick apart the trash Lakers yesterday.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by FNQ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 pm

A bit early to determine in ink who's in the death lineup, but unlike prior years I'd expect that Kerr will be able to mix and match quite a bit more. Aside from Looney and non-rotation guys, you have 2-3 slots in that lineup that can be filled by anyone. Only Curry and Dray are locks
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Coxy wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:

I feel Bjeli compliments draymond up front as well. Them playing together gives us many different strengths up front. That combo of size, floor spacing, and passing Bjeli gives is something we've never had before. When he and draymond are playing together, they just might be one of the best passing front courts. That said, its only been one game. I don't think he can realistically play like this every game.

The smart IQ passing is THE biggest plus side to have Iggy, Green and Bjeli on the court. They can all finish, and Bjeli can also shoot.

Kerr would have cracked a raging woody watching that lineup pick apart the trash Lakers yesterday.

I've always wanted a 39-40% career three point shooter in the front court rotation. When combined with his passing it really opens the floor especially when we have guys like steph, poole, wiggs who are able to get into the lane. Playing next to draymond also helps to mitigate some of his limitations defensively.

Come to think of it, how many bigs are proficient in both three point shooting and playmaking? Can't imagine that there are a lot. Real nice luxury to have.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#79 » by Coxy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:23 pm

ShootersShoot wrote:
Coxy wrote:
ShootersShoot wrote:

I've always wanted a 39-40% career three point shooter in the front court rotation. When combined with his passing it really opens the floor especially when we have guys like steph, poole, wiggs who are able to get into the lane. Playing next to draymond also helps to mitigate some of his limitations defensively.

Come to think of it, how many bigs are proficient in both three point shooting and playmaking? Can't imagine that there are a lot. Real nice luxury to have.

Jokic, Embiid, Vucevic? Horford was once good.

I look at those guys, then realise NB is on a minimum, mad lolz.
Popovich
Pro Prospect
And1: 293

Post#80 » by Popovich » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:42 pm

I think GS needs to find a real center, you can't expect that Bjelica can defend any traditional big center( for example Nurkic). He can help a little bit when opponents run some lighter versions of centers but versus let's say Adams or Jordan he would look helpless on the court. Any decent traditional big man would be very helpful for this Warriors team. Also due to his age and slowness, I feel that Nemanja is better of the bench for now.

Return to Golden State Warriors