ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Re: Around the NBA V: Live and Let Die 

Post#741 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:36 pm

Someone on Reddit just called out the Grizzlies for giving JJJ fraudulent steals and blocks... and they have some video to back it up along with that fact that his steals and blocks nearly double at home. I watched the videos. It's pretty bad.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/10nbau4/memphis_grizzlies_scorekeeper_posting_fraudulent/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

>Example #1 New Orleans Pelicans @ Memphis Grizzlies Saturday 12/31 7mins, 21 sec remaining in the 2nd quarter Zion drives to the basket, NEVER shoots the ball, and loses it. "Williamson in a crowd, ball pops free, picked up by Tyus Jones, turnover number 9 by the pelicans" announcers say.  Scorekeeper in Memphis graded the play as Jaren Jackson Jr. blocks Zion Williamson's 3-foot driving layup

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=249&GameID=0022200543&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=MISS%20Williamson%203%27%20Driving%20Layup

pbp has zion miss, jjj block

>Example #2 Utah Jazz @ Memphis Grizzlies Sunday 1/8 10:09 remaining in the 1st quarter Jordan Clarkson throws a bad pass directly to Desmond Bane and Jaren Jackson for some odd reason is credited with the steal.  Bane actually steals the ball.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=23&GameID=0022200600&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=Clarkson%20Bad%20Pass%20Turnover%20(P1.T1)

pbp has clarkson bad pass turnover, jjj steal

>Example #3 Utah Jazz @ Memphis Grizzlies Sunday 1/8 1:46 remaining in the 4th quarter Kelly Olynyk loses the ball while being defended by Xavier Tillman.  The ball then bounces off Tillman and Jaren Jackson before being picked up by Tillman. The steal should be credited to Tillman.  Memphis scorekeeper grades the play as Jaren Jackson Jr. steals

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=687&GameID=0022200600&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=Olynyk%20Lost%20Ball%20Turnover%20(P5.T21)

pbp has olynyk lost ball turnover, jjj steal

>Example #4 Phoenix Suns @ Memphis Grizzlies Monday 1/16 7:02 remaining in the 4th quarter Brandon Clarke blocks Saban Lee's layup, but the Memphis scorekeeper instantly gives the block to nearby Jaren Jackson Jr.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=564&GameID=0022200663&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=Jackson%20Jr.%20BLOCK%20(4%20BLK)

pbp has d.lee driving layup miss, jjj block

>Example #5 Cleveland Cavaliers @ Memphis Grizzlies Wednesday 1/18 11:48 remaining in the 2nd quarter Lamar Stevens, who Jaren Jackson helps on, loses the ball and Desmond Bane picks it up and gains possession.  The Memphis scorekeeper gave steal to Jaren Jackson.

https://www.nba.com/game/cle-vs-mem-0022200672/play-by-play?period=Q2

pbp has stevens lost ball turnover, jjj steal

>Example #6 Detroit Pistons @ Memphis Grizzlies Friday, December 9th 39 seconds remaining in the 2nd quarter Jackson deflects a pass and never gains possession, saved back to Detroit player. Memphis scorekeeper gives a steal to Jackson.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=366&GameID=0022200383&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=Jackson%20Jr.%20STEAL%20(2%20STL)

pbp has this as jjj steal, jjj bad pass turnover, hayes steal

>Example #7 Oklahoma City Thunder @ Memphis Grizzlies Wednesday, December 7th 10:38 4th quarter Jackson saves out of bounds ball directly to Thunder player underneath basket for quick score, but gets credited with a steal.

https://www.nba.com/game/okc-vs-mem-0022200368/play-by-play?period=Q4

no clip for this, pbp has giddey bad pass turnover, jjj steal, jjj bad pass turnover, omoruyi steal
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Post#742 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:14 pm

Yeah I saw that thread.

Who cares, if he does become DPOY?

If he does become DPOY, he's going to get a super Max, in addition to Ja.

Right now he's on a very team-friendly deal, considering his impact.

I don't know how rich the Grizzlies owner is or how willing he is to pay the luxury tax.

But that roster is going to get expensive very quickly. Bane could become RFA after next season so he'll get a big extension.

Brooks is a UFA after this season. He's accused of not being smart, often taking bad shots. But who would they replace him with? He seems to be their primary perimeter defender and he's had some big games on offense as well.

Probably Konchar, who's signed for 4 more years after this season? Actually looking at the stats, I'm not sure why they're not giving Konchar more minutes relative to Brooks.

Even if Brooks signs a team-friendly deal, it's going to be a bump over the $11.4 million that he's making now. That may be the only way they keep him, if Bane gets north of $25 million a year. So it'll be interesting to see what happens to their SG depth.

While Melton and Anderson appear to be playing well for their new teams, Grizzlies haven't seemed to miss them, other than maybe they have to play their younger players more than they otherwise would have.

Zaire Williams is getting less MPG this season than his rookie season and shooting just under 25% from 3, so he'd be another perimeter defender but presumably he'd get more minutes guarding the best perimeter player for the other team.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#743 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:31 pm

wco81 wrote:Yeah I saw that thread.

Who cares, if he does become DPOY?

This impacts gambling and fantasy (which is also tied to gambling.

JJJ isn't even touching the ball sometimes and he's being credited for blocks and steals. This could be a pretty big deal and change the way the league keeps stats.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
wco81
RealGM

Post#744 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:06 pm

I have to think only the most deviant gamblers bet on things like DPOY.

Most people DGAF, even NBA fans.

In any event, all the individual awards are political and probably set up to drum up interest in the league. The players all say they want to win, individual awards are secondary.

Maybe their contracts depend on winning some of the awards but there are plenty of players who get max contracts without ever being a threat to win MVP or DPOY or even all-NBA. Or for that matter winning titles.

Put it this way, Klay signed his current deal and it was worth $190 million IIRC. But he missed being all-NBA one of the last years before he signed that extension, so it probably cost him $30-40 million over 5 years of that contract.

It's not my money so I don't really care but people complain about Klay's contract now, imagine if he was making like $6-8 million more a year.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#745 » by Flash Falcon X » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:05 am

Anyone see refs miss Tatum’s foul on LeBron’s layup at the end of the game last night? Horrible no-call, reminds me of the GSW @ Boston game when Poole got absolutely hacked on a layup attempt in OT but refs didn’t call a foul.
#DubNation
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,385

Post#746 » by svart » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:17 pm

Yeah, that was a disgrace, basically they stole the game from LA.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
wco81
RealGM

Post#747 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:50 pm

Lakers could absolutely be a problem in a series if Lebron is able to put up 40 and AD something like 30/15.

And the supporting cast hit enough shots, because teams are going to double them in crucial possessions.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#748 » by Flash Falcon X » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Lol I’m just still annoyed with that Warriors loss @ Boston and seeing Lakers get screwed over by the refs reminded me of the GSW loss. :lol: Klay got called for his 6th foul in OT after getting a clean block/swipe at Jaylen Green. Poole getting fouled on a layup attempt and no call was made. I think there were something like 5-6 missed incidents in the L2M that should have favored GSW.
#DubNation
wco81
RealGM

Post#749 » by wco81 » Sat Feb 4, 2023 9:42 pm

MJ the ungracious legend:

Podcast interview with a reporter who wrote a profile of Michael Jordan around the time Jordan was approaching his 50th birthday.

https://www.theringer.com/2023/2/1/23581923/one-perfect-story-wright-thompson-on-writing-about-michael-jordan

Apparently this ESPN profile was infamous but I hadn't heard of it.

So there are a lot of interesting revelations.

For one thing, he apparently watched Lebron a lot, talked about how he'd defend him. He and this reporter would watch some games together and MJ would predict what LBJ would do when he got the ball, apparently studied Lebron's moves and game at the time.

MJ told the reporter that he'd give up everything he had to be able to play in the NBA again -- he was about 20 years past his prime. But it wasn't about missing the game but so he could shut down LBJ and show why he's GOAT.

MJ didn't find good outlets for his competitive nature. He invested in marlin fishing competitions and bought a big expensive fishing boat, called it Catch 23.

MJ got into a heated competition playing the game Bejeweled on his phone against someone.

MJ and the reporter would watch SportsCenter together and when they were talking about how Brady or Montana was GOAT -- at the time Brady only had 3 Super Bowl rings -- MJ was "apoplectic" that they had already forgotten how great Montana was.

Probably because he must have thought his career would be overlooked a couple of decades later.

Still lived his life with a chip on his shoulder, long after retiring. That may be what made him great but also makes him look petty and something of a cranky old man, yelling at the clouds.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,564

Post#750 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:09 am

Jeez. I fly all the way to Utah and I’m rewarded with Franco Finn’s corny schtick

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#751 » by HiRez » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:56 am

Draymond correctly predicted the winners of both the dunk contest and 3 point contest. Impressive.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#752 » by HiRez » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:41 pm

Hawks fired Nate McMillan and apparently Kenny Atkinson is on their short list for a replacement.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#753 » by and1GS » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:17 am

HiRez wrote:Hawks fired Nate McMillan and apparently Kenny Atkinson is on their short list for a replacement.

Cool take him.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#754 » by tarantism » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:48 am

Our guy Wiseman looking crappy in his first minutes with the Pistons.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#755 » by xdrta+ » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:02 am

tarantism wrote:Our guy Wiseman looking crappy in his first minutes with the Pistons.

That'll make a lot of people here feel good about themselves.
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#756 » by tarantism » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:08 am

xdrta+ wrote:
tarantism wrote:Our guy Wiseman looking crappy in his first minutes with the Pistons.

Seems silly to draw conclusions considering he was glued to the bench here and then traded. Plus he's now on a terrible team.

The story remains the same. We'll have a better idea where's he's at in about 1000 minutes.

Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#757 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:07 am

tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Seems silly to draw conclusions considering he was glued to the bench here and then traded. Plus he's now on a terrible team.

The story remains the same. We'll have a better idea where's he's at in about 1000 minutes.

It also isn't his first game/minutes with the Pistons, and he looked pretty good in his first game/minutes. But we'd better just sweep that under the rug.

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#758 » by watch1958 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:32 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

It also isn't his first game/minutes with the Pistons, and he looked pretty good in his first game/minutes. But we'd better just sweep that under the rug.

He did look pretty bad at the start of the game. Couple of moving screens, and missed his first four shots.

Oddly enough, the Pistons did this weird thing called letting him play through it. Made 4 of his last 6 shots, and grabbed 10 boards. +16 in a two point loss.

So maybe on a decent team, he could give you some nice bench minutes, and help you win some regular season games. :roll:
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors

Post#759 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:32 pm

watch1958 wrote:
tarantism wrote:Seems silly to draw conclusions considering he was glued to the bench here and then traded. Plus he's now on a terrible team.

He did look pretty bad at the start of the game. Couple of moving screens, and missed his first four shots.

Oddly enough, the Pistons did this weird thing called letting him play through it. Made 4 of his last 6 shots, and grabbed 10 boards. +16 in a two point loss.

So maybe on a decent team, he could give you some nice bench minutes, and help you win some regular season games. :roll:

I was referring to the game he played prior to the All Star Break.

Also possible that it isn't productive discussion to snipe at a player any time they have a bad stretch of a few minutes, but maybe that's just me. Maybe we should make a thread so people can celebrate any time he misses a shot, misses a defensive assignment, commits a foul, turns the ball over, etc.

tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#760 » by tarantism » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:47 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:It also isn't his first game/minutes with the Pistons, and he looked pretty good in his first game/minutes. But we'd better just sweep that under the rug.

I was referring to the game he played prior to the All Star Break.

Also possible that it isn't productive discussion to snipe at a player any time they have a bad stretch of a few minutes, but maybe that's just me. Maybe we should make a thread so people can celebrate any time he misses a shot, misses a defensive assignment, commits a foul, turns the ball over, etc.
Probably not. I jumped the gun and he ended up having a pretty good game. In my defense, I haven't been one of the posters piling on Wiseman this whole time and I'd love to see him succeed.

I actually like what the Pistons are doing. They picked up R.J. Hampton as well. The whole team is sort of an island of misfit toys right now and it'll be interesting to see which gambles pay off for them. Bagley looks good returning from injury this morning. I wouldn't be surprised if they push for a play in spot next year with Cade back and another high draft pick to boot.

Return to Golden State Warriors