ImageImageImageImageImage

Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

jaymo123
Starter
And1: 763

Re: Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim? 

Post#41 » by jaymo123 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:04 pm

After 40 games, do the Dubs still need a Big who can roll & finish around the rim? I say yes and I hope that can be Wiseman but if not, gotta look at some cheap options around the trade deadline or on the buyout market. I like Looney and Draymond but neither guy finishes well in traffic and are not lob threats. Watching Memphis have those finishers, lob threats really aided in their victory last night and is something the Dubs need. As mentioned before, I hope Wiseman can be that guy.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#42 » by Samurai » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:49 pm

jaymo123 wrote:After 40 games, do the Dubs still need a Big who can roll & finish around the rim? I say yes and I hope that can be Wiseman but if not, gotta look at some cheap options around the trade deadline or on the buyout market. I like Looney and Draymond but neither guy finishes well in traffic and are not lob threats. Watching Memphis have those finishers, lob threats really aided in their victory last night and is something the Dubs need. As mentioned before, I hope Wiseman can be that guy.

There is no question in my mind that Wiseman can be that guy who can roll and finish at the rim. My questions are a) when will we get him back b) how long will it take for him to get in game shape and establish a rhythm for the game after missing so much time and c) can he overcome the negative tendencies that he showed as a rookie that could offset the value he brings as a roller/finisher on offense?
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,962

Post#43 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:26 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:If Kuminga grows a little more he will be small ball center size.

He played some C tonight in the gleague and skateboard looked great.

I don't get the hesitancy at trying to play Kuminga at PF with Draymond at C. Kuminga already fights hard on D & can switch on to anyone, and is way better at finishing at the rim than shooting 3s. Looney is 6'9, Kuminga is 6'8 and can jump higher.

Draymond + 4 scorers is the winning ticket on offense.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#44 » by Coxy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 pm

Yes, we NEED a rim runner. Not for the close of games, but for times throughout the game when we can roll that sort of guy out to punish teams. Bogut, Javale, these guys were way more important than most realise. We need Wiseman to be at least Javale for us. I don't think we win the title without James turning the corner for us.

Now, to get him on the court somehow....
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#45 » by Nvnervous45 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:36 pm

Wiseman ftw !!!
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#46 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:40 am

I want a shot blocking center more than I want an offensive rim runner. Though usually the shot blocking centers are rim runners unless they are super tall. If a guy is tall, and athletic and can leap and has good timing that is useful for both shot blocking and rim running. The rim runner may need better hands than the shot blocker.

Until the last month the Warriors offense seemed plenty good without a rim runner. There were times that Looney not being a shot blocker looked like a weakness. I trust that the Warriors offense will regain it's form. Too bad we can't just give Wiseman the best of JaVale's game. I still want to see the improvement people are claiming Wiseman was able to achieve despite being to injured to play.

I figure film study makes a good coach, not a good player.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#47 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:16 am

Definitely. Just having that threat at the basket will stretch the defense and open up more lanes.

Curry isn't the best at passing out of double teams, and that's why he needs a big man in the post he can throw it to. Size and athleticism will give him a larger margin for error, and a bad pass is less likely to turn into a tradition bucket for the other team.

The Warriors best finisher/slasher/roller is Garry Payton, and I don trust Wiseman to become a true contributor this season.

Someone said it wouldn't work without Durant, but I completely disagree. It works better without Durant and we need it even more without Durant. Defenders are always over commiting to Curry, and having a big body to throw the ball to near the basket is the best option for him to have.

In 16/17 McGee and Curry we're +21.8 without Durant in the regular season, and they were +42.2 in the 59 minutes they played without Durant in the playoffs.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#48 » by superunknown » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:22 pm

of course they do. either it's the wiseman or someone else if the former can't play/won't show enough improvement this season. bottom line is they do need one and they should acquire him asap.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#49 » by vagelis » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:32 pm

I think Wiseman can help Warriors if he plays a lesser role than the last year.
Warriors tried to make plays for Wiseman the last year and that harmed the team.
If Wiseman plays the role that currently Looney plays, he will be better than Looney.
This is the goal for him to play his role better than Looney. He should not take potential superstar treatment like last year.
That was Warriors mistake not Wiseman's.
Warriors need a tall guy who can catch lobs but they also need a tall athletic guy in defense.

You cannot stop Embiid and Antetokounmpo with small ball lineups.
Small ball may work a lot of times but it will not work when it matters in playoffs against star bigs.

Wiseman lost one year after a bad decision to repair the meniscus. This surgery was unnecessary and Wiseman would have come back after2 months if he had a meniscus removal.
So many players come back and play for years after meniscus removals without problems. It is one of the simplest injuries in sports.

Anyway this is not a bad injury and he will be 100% after a while.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#50 » by B-King » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 am

We need another big body for depth. Maybe find someone to go on a 2 Way. Weatherspoon or Chiozza can be released.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#51 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:11 pm

vagelis wrote:I think Wiseman can help Warriors if he plays a lesser role than the last year.
Warriors tried to make plays for Wiseman the last year and that harmed the team.
If Wiseman plays the role that currently Looney plays, he will be better than Looney.
This is the goal for him to play his role better than Looney. He should not take potential superstar treatment like last year.
That was Warriors mistake not Wiseman's.
Warriors need a tall guy who can catch lobs but they also need a tall athletic guy in defense.

You cannot stop Embiid and Antetokounmpo with small ball lineups.
Small ball may work a lot of times but it will not work when it matters in playoffs against star bigs.

Wiseman lost one year after a bad decision to repair the meniscus. This surgery was unnecessary and Wiseman would have come back after2 months if he had a meniscus removal.
So many players come back and play for years after meniscus removals without problems. It is one of the simplest injuries in sports.

Anyway this is not a bad injury and he will be 100% after a while.

Not good to start losing meniscal tissue as a 19 year old 7 footer though. I go the other way and wonder whether guys like him play too early before they are fully physically developed.

You are correct that Embiid for instance had a meniscal injury and has played well after, I believe without any surgery at all, but he doesn’t seem to be able to go for 4 quarters, which may also be because too much is required of him of course.

I think FNQ who is or was in the business is right though, this recent surgery must have been minor rather than a full on menisectomy or he wouldn’t have been shooting before the Miami game on Jan 4.

I hope GSW realise how important Wiggins has been for them btw and integrate Klay without neglecting Wiggs, he himself seems to think they can work it out.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#52 » by marthafokker » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Coxy wrote:Yes, we NEED a rim runner. Not for the close of games, but for times throughout the game when we can roll that sort of guy out to punish teams. Bogut, Javale, these guys were way more important than most realise. We need Wiseman to be at least Javale for us. I don't think we win the title without James turning the corner for us.

Now, to get him on the court somehow....

Exactly. Javele was perfect coming off the bench to provide the energy and punch the other team on the inside.

Myers offered him to return, but McGee decided to want more playing time with LAL. And got recruited to the Sun's via Chris Paul this off season.

I don't think FA bigs want to come here with minutes being yoyo as seen by McGee. So Wiseman is the only hope. Even if one is available through buyout FA, they may prefer playing for other teams, unless they are jobless and unwanted. Even if they want to, management might not want to dump DLee to piss off his family. Next one up to dump would be GP2/JTA. You probably be screaming hell no. So Dubbs are stuck with no transaction. And management might frown on paying more luxury tax too.

And don't go there with Marc Gasol. We have an AARP member with Iggy, don't need another.

Maybe through some sort of trade?

Still thinks management's plan is to pray Wiseman solves the McGee role.

Funny I said to quickly sign Yurtseven right after Summer League before Heats sign him, I was told he is hot garbage. He would be nice to have now instead of our 2 way hot garbage.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#53 » by Badly Browned » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:05 pm

A true rim running threat to allow the Warriors to more effectively run basic PnR action for when the motion stuff isn't working would be nice, most certainly. Crunchtime smallball has Curry-Green PnR, so this is more for beginning and middle parts of the game.

I don't think the Warriors make a move unless Looney get hurts, which in that case I think Bjelica's or JTA's roster spots become expendable.

Otherwise, Wiseman is the clear in-house option, and I also think they should get JK more comfortable running PnR as the rollman. Right now they seem more apt to run inverted PnR with Curry screening JK's man.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#54 » by vagelis » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:36 pm

Having seen a bit of Marquesse Chris with Warriors the last year, I think he was pretty good for that role.
Athletic, with quick feet and pretty strong. One of the best bigs(if not the best) in catching and dunk lobs.
Personally I think he should have been an option for the Warriors to acquire him again.
What do you think was his disadvantages and Warriors didn't have ineterest for him?
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#55 » by Badly Browned » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:50 pm

Chriss' disadvantages were that the Warriors drafted Wiseman #2 overall and had Looney on roster.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#56 » by Coxy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:31 pm

We need Jimmy Wiseguy to get healthy. We have the guy.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#57 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Badly Browned wrote:Chriss' disadvantages were that the Warriors drafted Wiseman #2 overall and had Looney on roster.

I feel for Chriss. Not his fault that the FO didn't want a big on the roster to block Wiseman.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#58 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:19 pm

Badly Browned wrote:Chriss' disadvantages were that the Warriors drafted Wiseman #2 overall and had Looney on roster.

And that he broke his leg.
michaelm
RealGM

Post#59 » by michaelm » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:40 pm

:oops:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

I feel for Chriss. Not his f ault that the FO didn't want a big on the roster to block Wiseman.

I liked him and am glad he has found a place in the NBA.

A rather large problem for him at GSW was him breaking his leg, which meant he couldn’t demonstrate how useful he was as a lob threat etc next to Curry, and that Wiseman got heavier minutes prematurely. It doesn’t seem to have taken the Mavs long to see value in him with playing time. I guess if he was on the roster GPII may not be. Hard to see Wiseman being more useful to a title bid this year even if he gets back on court.

Return to Golden State Warriors