ImageImageImageImageImage

Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Re: Do The Dubs Need A Big Who Can Roll & Finish Around The Rim? 

Post#21 » by Money_ » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:09 pm

Good arguments against a traditional C.
They might benefit by having a player like that to roll out for 5 minutes at a time just to throw the other team off, show them a different look. Or to have someone who can at least go toe to toe with the opposing team's bigs, especially on defense.
But since a player like that will have low usage rates in the Warriors system, it's not worth it to "sell the farm" to go out and get a big name/salary C.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 5:47 pm

Coxy wrote:
FNQ wrote:We don't need a traditional C

and if a traditional C is wanted, he better be cheap.

isn't that the point of drafting Wiseman 2nd overall on a cheap rookie scale?

im confused
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#23 » by Coxy » Fri Dec 3, 2021 7:19 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

and if a traditional C is wanted, he better be cheap.

isn't that the point of drafting Wiseman 2nd overall on a cheap rookie scale?

im confused

Yep.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#24 » by Upperclass » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:00 pm

If the Hawks season tanks for any reason.. which I don't think it will.. but they should see what it would cost to get Clint Capela
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#25 » by Old_Blue » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:12 pm

Upperclass wrote:If the Hawks season tanks for any reason.. which I don't think it will.. but they should see what it would cost to get Clint Capela

Capela is making $18.6 million this year. For salary purposes, to make the deal work, the Warriors would have to send out both Wiseman and Kuminga - at which point, the entire board would lose its collective $hit. :lol:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#26 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:16 pm

I think it's not too much to ask Wiseman to play 10 solid mistake free minutes rebounding, setting picks and blocking shots. We are set there when he get's back.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,248

Post#27 » by xdrta+ » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:32 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:I think it's not too much to ask Wiseman to play 10 solid mistake free minutes rebounding, setting picks and blocking shots. We are set there when he get's back.

IMO, he'll be playing a lot more than that by the end of the season. And doing well at it. But everyone's got an opinion, of course, we'll just have to see how it plays out.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#28 » by HiRez » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:38 pm

At this point I think it makes the most sense to see what Wiseman looks like first. He may solve all those problems. Not all at once but if he can just dunk and not be lost on D that gets us a long way. Turner is still the guy who I think makes the most sense for us in a trade but I don’t want to ship out our young talent (including Kuminga and Moody) before we even know what we have.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:42 pm

Upperclass wrote:If the Hawks season tanks for any reason.. which I don't think it will.. but they should see what it would cost to get Clint Capela

grab onyeka while his value is low
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#30 » by Old_Blue » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:50 pm

The road to the Finals is going to require we play the Suns in a best of seven. We need an answer to the problem that is Ayton.

GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#31 » by and1GS » Fri Dec 3, 2021 10:59 pm

I think that answer is more bring him out of the paint and deny low block position rather than match his size. Yes he blocked a Steph 3, but would you generally take that 1:1 matchup? I would. Theoretically, if we are effective enough at that he will be run off the floor.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,412

Post#32 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:07 pm

You know what we do forget is how big and tough Warriors were in 2015....with Bogurt and Festus....man we were destroying teams PHYSICALLY as well as from three.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#33 » by and1GS » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:12 pm

I own two jerseys, and one is Bogut. So trust that I agree with you :lol:

I think sometimes we underestimate how special Bogut was. Didn't care about stats. Did all the little stuff. Brilliant basketball mind and could run the offense at the elbow while setting great screens. That's not easy to find.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#34 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:23 pm

Andre' Snellings wrote:I've been a proponent of the Warriors holding onto their young lottery picks to secure the future, but this deal gives them an All-Star at a position of need. Sabonis is young enough (25 years old) to be a franchise player even after the Warriors' current core starts to age. As Deandre Ayton and the Phoenix Suns just demonstrated, the Warriors can be exploited by certain matchups in the middle.

Sabonis would turn Golden State's weakest position into a strength, and he has the game to do exactly what the Warriors need from their big men at a high level. He is an excellent passer and decision-maker on offense, making him an ideal pick-and-roll/pop partner for Stephen Curry. Sabonis is an elite rebounder, with the girth to bang with the big men and a skill set that fits perfectly next to Draymond Green on the front line. He doesn't require volume touches or plays to be run for him, but Sabonis can score efficiently when called upon. In short, adding Sabonis to their current core would solidify the Warriors as championship favorites for the foreseeable future.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#35 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:25 pm

FNQ wrote:If you guys want a C on the roster that can do this...

Pascal Siakam is a much better idea than any player I've seen listed, and not sure the Raptors have a long-term plan with him. Only problem is he'd cost Wiggins for ballast, and we probably don't want to do that. But I'd rather be looking for a player like that than finding the next McGee, who again was a veteran minimum scrap heap pickup, who's career we revived.

Warriors have been rumored to want Pascal Siakam for some time.

:clap:
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#36 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:27 pm

Last time I checked Warriors were leading the league in shots at the rim.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,776

Post#37 » by Upperclass » Fri Dec 3, 2021 11:51 pm

clyde21 wrote:

grab onyeka while his value is low

That's a great idea .. maybe a straight swap for Wiseman or a future 1
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#38 » by Warriorfan » Sat Dec 4, 2021 9:23 am

If Kuminga grows a little more he will be small ball center size.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#39 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Dec 4, 2021 2:29 pm

Warriorfan wrote:If Kuminga grows a little more he will be small ball center size.

He played some C tonight in the gleague and skateboard looked great.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#40 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Dec 4, 2021 7:10 pm

jaymo123 wrote:Something I have noticed this year, even last year after Wiseman got hurt, is the lack of big's on the Dubs that can finish around the rim. Draymond/Looney has shown the inability to finish lay-ups, shoot floaters or hooks consistent enough to be a threat. The good teams with sound coaching are going to continue to force those guys to make plays. In the Toronto game, the Dubs made do. In the Clippers game, Poole & Steph bailed them out. Against a championship caliber team like Phoenix, it was a turnover fest.

During the Dubs championship run, they had bigs that were threats around the rim whether it was Bogut, Izelli, or McGee. With Draymond/Looney, I see there defenders all the way in the paint or just doubling Steph/Poole/Wiggins even if they are close to the rim because the defense does not respect the offensive ability of Draymond/Looney. Against Phoenix, Draymond was passing to Looney 5ft away from the rim. A short push shot, floater, bank shot would have been more effective than passing in a crowd to Looney, who takes 10 seconds just to gather and go up.

My hope is Wiseman comes back and can be that threat whether through lobs, floaters, & hooks. If not him, I believe the dubs need to go out and find someone who has the ability to finish around the rim. What do you think?

I may be the biggest JaVale fan on this board but, we don't need our centers to score. All our centers have to do on offense is set good screens. But we do need size on defense. And we need good screens. Give us back healthy mid season 2016 Andrew Bogut and healthy Klay and our team is complete. I think Bogut could shut Ayton down. Stevie Adams pushed Bogut arround but Adams is the only guy I can remember overpowering Bogut. My guess is that Ayton is not as strong as Adams was.

Bogut had experience, a high basketball IQ, quick reactions mentally, and the heart of a competitor. Wiseman may never have what Bogut had. Wiseman is faster than Bogut and Wiseman can shoot a jump shot, probably has better hands than Bogut. Wiseman of 3 years from now may be what we are missing. Give Wiseman a shot this year. See if he managed to improve without playing time.

I would have put Wiseman out there for about 8 minutes against Ayton just to present a different look. Wiseman has not proven that he is stronger than Looney but he is defintely taller. I am OK with Wiseman fouling out. I just want Wiseman to be aggressive.

Return to Golden State Warriors