ImageImageImageImageImage

Keeping JTA and GP2 long term

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Re: Keeping JTA and GP2 long term 

Post#61 » by killmongrel » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:32 am

wco81 wrote:Porter may also be a priority to try to re-sign if he keeps shooting so well consistently.

I just don't see any way to keep him. He's a starting quality player who can get paid around the 14-16m+ range.

Like others have said, if Kuminga starts improving like we're all expecting, he's taking JTA's minutes. So unless JTA is willing to sign on again for the vet. minimum, I don't see the Warriors prioritizing him.

I think the priority when it comes to all our free agents is GP2. He's exactly the type of player we need to come off the bench and play minutes next to Steph and Poole. He's proven to be a legit player this year.
Badly Browned
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#62 » by Badly Browned » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:50 am

Yeah, OPJ will easily get a non-tax MLE deal. I definitely see him looking at $15m/year deals. At 28yo it's probably his last big contract so he should cash out.

I have a very hard time seeing him settle for a taxpayer mid-level with the Warriors.

As for JTA, I can definitely see them offer a Looney-like 3/$15m type contract.
I'm not going to say that Curry is God. But he is definitely a god. -NeoWarriors
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#63 » by michaelm » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:59 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
B-King wrote:JTA will lose all his minutes to Kuminga next season. GP2 is a good change of pace guy, but not worth more than the minimum to this team.

If they can make more elsewhere, they would be hard pressed to not take it. Players like Porter and Bjelica have made a significant amount of money in their careers. JTA and GP2 need to earn as much as they can.

Both should see how much they can get on the open market then give the Warriors the chance to match. At their ages, they both should be most concerned with getting the biggest bag possible but I don't think either would have as much success(or fun) on another team.

I hold out some hope for OPJ re-signing at a discount. GSW have shown they are willing to limit his minutes to protect him from injury. Any team which signs him for 40/2 or even 30/2 is likely to want him to play heavier minutes. Maybe he has 4 years left in him if he plays limited minutes.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#64 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:05 am

Also, isn't Looney's deal up?

He's sound, usually in the right positions, maximizes his limited athleticism and size.

Obviously Ayton got easy looks over him with his bigger size but I'm not convinced Wiseman would hold up better in those situations despite the bigger size and wingspan he has.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#65 » by cdubbz » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:40 am

2 great stories on these guys. Both players in their late 20s who have been fighting to be on an NBA roster for a long time.Would love to keep them both
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#66 » by FNQ » Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:44 am

I'm going to say this once because I feel like this ends the conversation:

So we have 4 UFAs at the end of this season who are contributing: GP2, OPJ, Nemo, and JTA.

The conversation ender: out of those 4, which has never played a bad game this season?

That's the guy you keep. If you can, even. I'm not sure we can. But if you can, you spend all the monies on that.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#67 » by cpower » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:27 am

GP2 is a great 2 guard on any team in the league. Porter also a starter and he can close out games. Bbelly is 3rd in the list since he has range and size. JTA is nice to have but also clearly the worst.

sometimes you gotta wonder what if we give up Wiggins and use that 33m on a few wings.
e.g. I believe Porter/GP2/Looney is better than Wiggins/JTA, especially if Klay comes back strong. Depth is everything in this league and it's hard to always find vet min that can have a huge impact on the court.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,290

Post#68 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:32 am

FNQ wrote:I'm going to say this once because I feel like this ends the conversation:

So we have 4 UFAs at the end of this season who are contributing: GP2, OPJ, Nemo, and JTA.

The conversation ender: out of those 4, which has never played a bad game this season?

That's the guy you keep. If you can, even. I'm not sure we can. But if you can, you spend all the monies on that.

In a vacuum, GP2 > OPJ > flip a coin for JTA/Bjelica to me.

In reality, we keep any of them willing to take vet min. We can’t get better fit players than them with vet min.

GP2 and OPJ are the most likely to get better offers, but I’m still cautiously optimistic that we can find a way to keep them, or at least one of the 2.

I don’t see either of them getting a full MLE for more than 2 years from another team.

We probably need to use the whole TMLE on a 3 year offer though.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#69 » by Dom801e » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:53 am

JTA and Bjelica might be available on minimum deals. OPJ is almost certainly gone. There is a minuscule chance he stays if we win it all, he is fan favorite, and he falls in love with the city/fans.

GP2 is the main FA to keep IMO. He seems to mesh well with the team and consistently has a positive impact on the game.

I expect Looney to likely be back on similar deal as his current one unless Wiseman shows a lot of growth.
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#70 » by GunnerWRX » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:53 am

I can imagine OPJ or GP2 getting MLE contracts similar to Bullock or Caruso did.
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#71 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:49 am

If GP2 qualifies for Early Bird, we can offer him nearly $10m a year, for up to 4 years. The Early Bird qualification has many nuances, especially since GP2 was waived. However, according to the CBA FAQ, it appears that as long as we guarantee him in January, he actually qualifies for Early Bird.

20-21 - Played 2 x 10-day contracts, then signed for remainder of the season in May
21-22 - Waived, cleared waiver, then signed for min. We will guarantee him in Jan for the rest of this season.

Hopefully my interpretation is correct. If so, the only obstacle to keep GP2 is Lacob's payroll budget.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q32
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#72 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:53 am

GunnerWRX wrote:If GP2 qualifies for Early Bird, we can offer him nearly $10m a year, for up to 4 years. The Early Bird qualification has many nuances, especially since GP2 was waived. However, according to the CBA FAQ, it appears that as long as we guarantee him in January, he actually qualifies for Early Bird.

20-21 - Played 2 x 10-day contracts, then signed for remainder of the season in May
21-22 - Waived, cleared waiver, then signed for min. We will guarantee him in Jan for the rest of this season.

Hopefully my interpretation is correct. If so, the only obstacle to keeping GP2 is Lacob's payroll budget.

If this is true for GP2, we can use the whole TMLE on OPJ and see if he stays.

For the TMLE, the best we can do is around $19m/3.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#73 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:48 am

They'd have to win it all, with huge gate revenues for the rest of the regular season and sold out playoffs games going through the Finals. Then Lacob would be more willing to pay the much greater luxury taxes.

Also would help if they could hold a big slate of concerts and other non-basketball revenues that he wouldn't have to share, in order for Lacob not to pay the luxury taxes.

BTW, there isn't any kind of cap on luxury taxes?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#74 » by xdrta+ » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:33 am

GunnerWRX wrote:If GP2 qualifies for Early Bird, we can offer him nearly $10m a year, for up to 4 years. The Early Bird qualification has many nuances, especially since GP2 was waived. However, according to the CBA FAQ, it appears that as long as we guarantee him in January, he actually qualifies for Early Bird.

Hopefully my interpretation is correct. If so, the only obstacle to keep GP2 is Lacob's payroll budget.

You're correct that GP2 will qualify for the Early Bird, but, IMO they won't have to offer nearly the max, which as you note is over $10M the first year. I think if they offer him something like Looney got, around $15M/3 yrs he wouldn't hesitate to take it. Of course, a lot depends on what happens the rest of the year.
GunnerWRX
Veteran

Post#75 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:00 am

xdrta+ wrote:

You're correct that GP2 will qualify for the Early Bird, but, IMO they won't have to offer nearly the max, which as you note is over $10M the first year. I think if they offer him something like Looney got, around $15M/3 yrs he wouldn't hesitate to take it. Of course, a lot depends on what happens the rest of the year.

Yes, just saying with the cap rules, we can beat nearly any team that might possibly attempt to make GP2 an offer.

I hope no team wants him and we re-sign him like we did with Looney.

FWIW, for the 15th spot at min, the out the door cost was nearly $10-12m after tax, for a min contract.

So in the end, it will come down to how much we are willing to pay.

Paying $5m this summer will have an out the door cost of around $30m. That was exactly why they didn’t use the TMLE this summer.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#76 » by WarriorGM » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:13 am

I don't know the technicalities but I get the feeling the team might be forced to part with one of Wiggins, Klay or Draymond to keep these guys, Poole, and Looney. Wiseman I think also has something close to a $10 million salary.

Porter is unlikely to be with the team next year so some previously expressed opinions that the Warriors' chances next year are better I find puzzling. This is the best year for a championship run.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#77 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:01 am

Jta is a safer bet to stay because he likely won't have suitors. It takes 1 team to overpay gp2. Hello knicks.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#78 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:21 pm

I think the issue isn't the money as much as it PT.

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Wiseman are likely the starters

Poole, Moody, Kuminga, Looney are likely in the next group

The Warriors run a deeper rotation than most teams but still we are talking about players choosing to stay for limited minutes. GP2, JTA, OP, AI, DLee, and Bjelli may all be liked but I would guess at least 3 of them are gone.

If nothing else the team is still going to be looking for yet another backup PG.

JTA and DLee will probably not make more elsewhere, and Andre I think may retire or return.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#79 » by cpower » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I think the issue isn't the money as much as it PT.

The Warriors run a deeper rotation than most teams but still we are talking about players choosing to stay for limited minutes. GP2, JTA, OP, AI, DLee, and Bjelli may all be liked but I would guess at least 3 of them are gone.

If nothing else the team is still going to be looking for yet another backup PG.

JTA and DLee will probably not make more elsewhere, and Andre I think may retire or return.

Wiseman Moody Kuminga are not in regular rotation until they prove they can contribute to winning. Wiseman a starter? lol thats a pipedream man. I am pretty certain Looney will be the starter in the next few years.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#80 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 pm

cpower wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I think the issue isn't the money as much as it PT.

Wiseman Moody Kuminga are not in regular rotation until they prove they can contribute to winning. Wiseman a starter? lol thats a pipedream man. I am pretty certain Looney will be the starter in the next few years.

We'll see, but the Warriors coaches, front office, and ownership are still regularly and loudly saying Wiseman is the future so it wouldn't surprise me at all, with what we know at the moment, if he went into camp next year as the presumed starter.

Return to Golden State Warriors