Wiggins contract status

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Re: Wiggins contract status 

Post#141 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon May 30, 2022 8:56 pm

FNQ wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:At this point, it seems like everybody's comfortable with Looney playing outsized minutes every game and never getting hurt. Fingers crossed that he stays healthy for the Finals. After that, they need to find a decent backup 5 for next year. It's a glaring hole in their lineup. So far, the Dubs have dodged a bullet. Can we all agree on that?

Why is it that people seem to combine the arguments? Saying that we shouldn't get a slow, rim protecting C isn't saying that we should never get a C ever. Rim protectors are typically stationary and that goes against our defense.

Its the end of the season, how does this same thing happen every time we push back against the Tacko Fall fan club?

Speed helps with shot blocking.
Not all rim protectors are slow.
Chris Gatling was a skinny rim protecter who was pretty fast for a big man.
Fast skinny rim protectors tend to lack the lower body strength to fight for rebounding position.

Giant slow rim protectors are playable in zone defenses.
We have less giant slow rim protectors in the NBA today because we have screens at the 3 point line now and the giant slow guys can’t slow down the guards they get switched onto at the 3 point line long enough for a help defender to get to the paint to defend the guard’s drive.

I think getting a rim protecting center to back up Looney is more important than getting a back up power firward unless you think Wiseman is playable. In theory Wiseman if healthy should be a rim protector because he has a good body, but his low basketball IQ hurts his rim protection. Bjelica is not horrible except he was horrible in January and February but even when Bjelica is good he isn’t a good rim protector.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#142 » by FNQ » Mon May 30, 2022 8:57 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
FNQ wrote:
thunderdunk wrote:At this point, it seems like everybody's comfortable with Looney playing outsized minutes every game and never getting hurt. Fingers crossed that he stays healthy for the Finals. After that, they need to find a decent backup 5 for next year. It's a glaring hole in their lineup. So far, the Dubs have dodged a bullet. Can we all agree on that?

Why is it that people seem to combine the arguments? Saying that we shouldn't get a slow, rim protecting C isn't saying that we should never get a C ever. Rim protectors are typically stationary and that goes against our defense.

Its the end of the season, how does this same thing happen every time we push back against the Tacko Fall fan club?

Fast skinny rim protectors tend to lack the lower body strength to fight for rebounding position.

We have less giant slow rim protectors in the NBA today because we have screens at the 3 point line now and the giant slow guys can’t slow down the guards they get switched onto at the 3 point line long enough for a help defender to get to the paint to defend the guard’s drive.

Ok fair enough, who are you targeting

so help me god if you say Tacko

(and I disagree on the usefulness of slow rim protectors even in our zone sets, you're talking about a play that rarely happens in a defensive system thats designed to discourage the drive anyways, thus erasing a lot of the value of an interior shot eraser)
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,172

Post#143 » by watch1958 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm

FNQ wrote:
FNQ wrote:

(and I disagree on the usefulness of slow rim protectors even in our zone sets, you're talking about a play that rarely happens in a defensive system thats designed to discourage the drive anyways, thus erasing a lot of the value of an interior shot eraser)
Any candidate has to be demonstrably better than Jordan Bell. (Who shot 45% on 3s this year, averaged a double double, and 5 assists per game.)
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#144 » by SFrush » Mon May 30, 2022 9:12 pm

FNQ wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I literally laughed out loud.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#145 » by Onus » Mon May 30, 2022 9:53 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
FNQ wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
I'd love to see Kumknga get to his level, but it my opinion that's years away if at all.

Yup, impact-wise that's going to be a tough hurdle because OPJ was a metrics darling this past year, though tracking kinda strips it away a bit. Love his rebounding though.

But has Kuminga earned OPJ's role? Absolutely not.. since OPJ is likely gone, I would expect our marquee FA (that isnt one of ours currently) to be a PF. I'd hope we push for guys like Thad Young, Derrick Jones Jr and maybe Taurean Prince, but I've looked for some deep sleeping guys that might fit:

Anthony Gill (WSH)
Yuta Watanabe (TOR)
Kevin Knox (ATL)

Those 3 just are types that somewhat fit what we do currently, but their stats could have a lot of noise that just make it seem that way. Gill and Yuta are older types w/international experience that would probably transition in easier, Knox is more a reclamation project that could do well in a system that minimizes what he needs to know.

Thad would be an awesome fit for system continuity on defense at the 5.

Yup been wanting Thad, especially when we were talking about trading down to 4 w Chicago in the wiseman draft
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#146 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon May 30, 2022 10:11 pm

FNQ wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I am not targeting anybody. Mostly because i don’t know who is out there. Jordan Bell is a good rim protector for a 6 8 guy. And Bell can be a back up power forward,

I do still like Tacko, but concede that he may only be playable in a zone defense. I would like to through Tacko and a zone out there against Ayton if Ayton starts getting in a grove shooting over Looey. With Tacko I am only talking about a 5 minute a game gimmick. Then it is back to Bjelica as Looney’s back up. My interest in Tacko falls off quickly if Wiseman could play decently.

I think a zone can contest 3s with one rim protector and a box extended out to the 3 point line but that may give up mid range shots.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#147 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue May 31, 2022 12:37 am

FNQ wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
I think Kuminga will be better next year than Otto Porter was this year.

I'd love to see Kumknga get to his level, but it my opinion that's years away if at all.

Yup, impact-wise that's going to be a tough hurdle because OPJ was a metrics darling this past year, though tracking kinda strips it away a bit. Love his rebounding though.

But has Kuminga earned OPJ's role? Absolutely not.. since OPJ is likely gone, I would expect our marquee FA (that isnt one of ours currently) to be a PF. I'd hope we push for guys like Thad Young, Derrick Jones Jr and maybe Taurean Prince, but I've looked for some deep sleeping guys that might fit:

Anthony Gill (WSH)
Yuta Watanabe (TOR)
Kevin Knox (ATL)

Those 3 just are types that somewhat fit what we do currently, but their stats could have a lot of noise that just make it seem that way. Gill and Yuta are older types w/international experience that would probably transition in easier, Knox is more a reclamation project that could do well in a system that minimizes what he needs to know.

I really like the idea of Watanabe.

Rudy Gay could be an option, too. He actually looked good with the Jazz, but fell out of the rotation because Snyder likes small fast guys that can't rebound or defend.

Jordan Nwora? Probably too much of a G/F. I wonder what kind of contract he'll get.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#148 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue May 31, 2022 2:05 am

Senchu wrote:Okay, guys! I think we have agreed. 4/90 to Two-way Wiggs and Lacob goes deep into his pockets.

Next question.

I'm pulling for 127.5 over 5 years to get his career earnings to 300 million.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#149 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:18 am

So with winning the chIp, with Wiggins probably the second best player in the playoffs, this decision becomes more expensive and more difficult.

He said he was happy to be with the Warriors because winning is what they do. Well afterglow of a post championship game and all that.
wco81
RealGM

Post#150 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:15 pm

Poole and Wiggins talk about their contract status while celebrating the championship after game 6:

Following the Warriors' 103-90 NBA Finals-clinching win over the Boston Celtics on Thursday night at TD Garden, both Poole and Wiggins celebrated the championship in the locker room, where they had a sudden realization.

"You a world champion," Poole said to Wiggins.

"You are, too," Wiggins responded.

"And you about to get a bag!" Poole added.

"No, YOU about to get a bag!" Wiggins said to Poole.

"You about to get a BAG," Poole said again.

"We about to get a bag!" the two shouted in unison.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/jordan-poole-andrew-wiggins-hilarious-realization-after-nba-finals-win?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

I think Poole would be more conscious of a big extension than Wiggins, since he hasn't really made big money yet -- probably a couple of million before taxes?
chococo
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#151 » by chococo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:41 pm

"We about to get a bag!" the two shouted in unison.[/b]

That's super hilarious. They both deserve it. We need Wiggins' defense if we're going to repeat next year, and I have a feeling that we will repeat if everyone is healthy. Need Kuminga, Moody and Wiseman to step up and play better. All three would have to be in the weight room more this off season and build up their strengths.

NBA Draft is just around the corner. I look forward to seeing what Bob Myers will do with our picks, especially the late second round picks. Look at Herbert Jones, who was drafted at 35 in the 2nd round.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#152 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 pm

I thought Wiggins was great this year, its disappointing to be put in my place and be told that almost anyone could replace him

lol I wont miss the GB
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#153 » by sonnyhill » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 pm

FNQ wrote:I thought Wiggins was great this year, its disappointing to be put in my place and be told that almost anyone could replace him

lol I wont miss the GB

GB?
wco81
RealGM

Post#154 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 8:54 am

Bump.

Anything left for Wiggins if they give Poole a big extension?
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#155 » by Warriorfan » Fri Oct 7, 2022 1:30 pm

With latest Green incident the likelihood of Wiggins getting overpaid 30mil plus likely.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#156 » by sonnyhill » Fri Oct 7, 2022 2:31 pm

FNQ wrote:I thought Wiggins was great this year, its disappointing to be put in my place and be told that almost anyone could replace him

lol I wont miss the GB

GB?
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#157 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Oct 7, 2022 2:47 pm

sonnyhill wrote:

lol I wont miss the GB

GB?

General Board
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect

Post#158 » by sonnyhill » Fri Oct 7, 2022 2:56 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

lol I wont miss the GB

GB?

General Board

Thank you for the clarification.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#159 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 4:42 pm

sonnyhill wrote:

lol I wont miss the GB

GB?

Here, Sonny.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#160 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Oct 7, 2022 6:39 pm

floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett

Return to Golden State Warriors