FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: What do we need to fix for Game 2? 

Post#81 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 4, 2022 4:46 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dray found someone who gets a bigger cushion on jumpers.

Imagine being a HC, seeing this, watching us get rallied on when we deployed this lineup... and then deciding to do it again :nonono:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#82 » by FNQ » Sat Jun 4, 2022 4:52 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
and1GS wrote:Was listening to the Slater/Kawakami/Thompson pod and they had a good point. They were surprised we didn't use the most obvious approach...Draymond and Wiggins on Brown and Tatum, respecively. If Horford is going to kill us from the corner, why do we need a big guarding him? Klay kinda sucks defensively anyway so let him guard him. If Horford says '**** it lets back this boy down' we already win that matchup. San Antonio begged us to force feed Harrison Barnes post ups years ago and it ended up not being a fruitful approach.

I was aware dray was bad, but didnt know he was this bad. Like no effort bad. Unless it was by design to not challenge shooters.

So the 2 options are

1) Draymond has completely forgotten how to play defense

or

2) Draymond was enticing bad shooters to shoot from deep because thats our defensive style (and then capably closing out once they started going into shooting form), & was told to hang in the middle to help on Tatum and Brown drives since they were getting looks on Poole, Klay, Curry and Looney..

And people here are literally choosing option 1

The old Mike Tyson saying definitely applies here.. a lot of W's fans got hit in the mouth so now logic is gone, just flail.. its embarrassing tbh. Like the guy who made that video cares enough about basketball to make the video, but has zero idea how the game is played. One of those plays - where Horford caught a corner 3 because Dray stayed in the lane too long - was conceivably a Draymond error. The rest were the defensive system, nearly the exact same one we played against Dallas
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,418

Post#83 » by Big J » Sat Jun 4, 2022 5:42 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
Big J wrote:As crazy as it sounds I think Kuminga could help us in this series. Look at how many free throws we got in game 1. We're not winning if we can't get to the line more. We need someone who can go through defenders and draw fouls. Defensively he could probably be decent against Brown also with his length.

It's conceivable Kuminga might be a more effective offensive option in this series especially if he's able to overpower the guys guarding him since he'd probably be doing it against the best Celtics players.

Look at the guys who gave them problems in their previous series. Jimmy Butler & Giannis. Both physically overpowering dudes. Kuminga obviously isn't on their level, but at least he presents the same physical profile.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#84 » by SFrush » Sat Jun 4, 2022 7:17 pm

Don't give Horford so much space. Make him put the ball on the floor or pass it. He's shooting 46 percent from three this postseason so I'd rather not dare him to shoot.

Someone else said try and get out in transition more. I concur but that has to come from turning defense into offense.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,204

Post#85 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 3:42 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Lineups may not matter.

Warriors simply may not have enough talent on the roster.

They will have defensive holes while the Celtics have none. The mid season trades were huge for them and White and Horford are playing huge for them.

I had the sense that Warriors run ended with Klay blowing out his knee in 2019. So it may be time to get nostalgic.

They can’t add enough talent because of tHe hUge contracts. Celtics took on bIg contracts in that trade, something which the Warriors can’t do.

Barring huge jumps by JW, JK and Moody next season, their window is proBaBlY closed.

Really, the Warriors are not talented enough? Like, do you guys need Durant back to win? The Warriors are stacked, they just got defensive holes.

I just need to quote this again. Warriors do not have enough talent.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,194

Post#86 » by wco81 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:09 pm

Keep quoting.

Nobody thinks this is the best roster in the league.

Curry is having a great Finals so far, probably the best of the ones he's played.

Klay is iffy though he is always a threat. Poole hit a couple of big shots after the Warriors got out to a double-digit lead.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#87 » by and1GS » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:12 pm

I can't believe the adjustment we had to make was to let Draymond be a massive **** for 48 minutes. After we've been begging him to focus better, turns out being a dick was what unlocks our best game.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#88 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 4:55 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Lineups may not matter.

Warriors simply may not have enough talent on the roster.

They will have defensive holes while the Celtics have none. The mid season trades were huge for them and White and Horford are playing huge for them.

I had the sense that Warriors run ended with Klay blowing out his knee in 2019. So it may be time to get nostalgic.

They can’t add enough talent because of tHe hUge contracts. Celtics took on bIg contracts in that trade, something which the Warriors can’t do.

Barring huge jumps by JW, JK and Moody next season, their window is proBaBlY closed.

Really, the Warriors are not talented enough? Like, do you guys need Durant back to win? The Warriors are stacked, they just got defensive holes.

remind us again where the Warriors were projected to finish before the season
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 7:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

I have no clue, but I know that those predictions are always wrong. Anyway, what does that prediction have to do with anything about the talent level on GSW during the finals?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,183

Post#90 » by clyde21 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 7:33 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

I have no clue

facts
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#91 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 8:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I have no clue

facts

lol, what is your argument?

and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#92 » by and1GS » Mon Jun 6, 2022 9:25 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
I have no clue

facts

For a recent one: https://sports.yahoo.com/warriors-hold-worst-chance-winning-210936142.html

Here for pre-season prediction: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/warriors/

And a more favorable one: https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/13/22725662/nba-preseason-power-rankings-part-4

Bonus just for the thrill of it: https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-severe-nba-finals-underdogs-celtics-espn-fivethirtyeight

Anecdotally, the Mismatch (Ringer pod) picked Dallas in 6 or 7 last round.

And for the lolz: https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/5/18/23125137/roundtable-predicting-mavericks-warriors-western-conference-finals
The Mavericks win in 6 but a 6 that feels like it should be five. Luka Doncic is going to feast but so is Jalen Brunson. The Mavericks will make life hard for Stephen Curry who is at worst a top 15 player in the history of basketball. Overall I think people will be shocked at how much the Warriors will struggle to score on what has become a fantastic Mavericks defense.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#93 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Mon Jun 6, 2022 9:39 pm

and1GS wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
facts

For a recent one: https://sports.yahoo.com/warriors-hold-worst-chance-winning-210936142.html

Here for pre-season prediction: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/warriors/

And a more favorable one: https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/13/22725662/nba-preseason-power-rankings-part-4

Bonus just for the thrill of it: https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/warriors-severe-nba-finals-underdogs-celtics-espn-fivethirtyeight

And for the lolz: https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/5/18/23125137/roundtable-predicting-mavericks-warriors-western-conference-finals
The Mavericks win in 6 but a 6 that feels like it should be five. Luka Doncic is going to feast but so is Jalen Brunson. The Mavericks will make life hard for Stephen Curry who is at worst a top 15 player in the history of basketball. Overall I think people will be shocked at how much the Warriors will struggle to score on what has become a fantastic Mavericks defense.

He said the team did not have talent enough. Just because the Warriors are not the favorite to win does not mean they don't have a very talented roster or good enough talent to win.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#94 » by and1GS » Tue Jun 7, 2022 3:37 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
and1GS wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

He said the team did not have talent enough. Just because the Warriors are not the favorite to win does not mean they don't have a very talented roster or good enough talent to win.

His literal quote was 'remind us again where the Warriors were projected to finish before the season.' After your snarky reply I reminded you where we were projected to finish and added a few more articles projecting many other teams over the warriors. That includes your Mavs, who many analysts chose over the warriors.

If you're going to move the goalposts this much, I won't engage. Have a nice day.

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#95 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Tue Jun 7, 2022 10:01 pm

and1GS wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

His literal quote was 'remind us again where the Warriors were projected to finish before the season.' After your snarky reply I reminded you where we were projected to finish and added a few more articles projecting many other teams over the warriors. That includes your Mavs, who many analysts chose over the warriors.

If you're going to move the goalposts this much, I won't engage. Have a nice day.

I just don't think predictions of game results is the best way to determine if a team is talented.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#96 » by xdrta+ » Tue Jun 7, 2022 10:19 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
and1GS wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

I just don't think predictions of game results is the best way to determine if a team is talented.

Well, give us your formula. What specific metrics do you use to determine the talent level of a team?
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#97 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 7:44 am

xdrta+ wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
and1GS wrote:

Well, give us your formula. What specific metrics do you use to determine the talent level of a team?

I look at their skill level on the court and compare them to their stats. So if I look at a player like Curry for the first time I will see that he takes ridiculous hard shots, I would then look up his numbers to see if that was a lucky night or if this is what his numbers are really like. The same would go for the team. Defense is harder, but that is IMO. more of a coaching job than individual defensive skill.

I just find it really odd that anyone would say this team is not talented enough to win against the Celtics. Look at what the Heat did against them with Gabe Vincent (who?), Max Strus (who?), and PJ Tucker.

The Warriors will lose because they don't have that hardcore defensive DNA and lack of size and athletic ability.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#98 » by Onus » Wed Jun 8, 2022 1:58 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

I look at their skill level on the court and compare them to their stats. So if I look at a player like Curry for the first time I will see that he takes ridiculous hard shots, I would then look up his numbers to see if that was a lucky night or if this is what his numbers are really like. The same would go for the team. Defense is harder, but that is IMO. more of a coaching job than individual defensive skill.

I just find it really odd that anyone would say this team is not talented enough to win against the Celtics. Look at what the Heat did against them with Gabe Vincent (who?), Max Strus (who?), and PJ Tucker.

The Warriors will lose because they don't have that hardcore defensive DNA and lack of size and athletic ability.

you realize we were tied for the no 1 defense in the league while never even fully healthy?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect

Post#99 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:26 pm

Onus wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

you realize we were tied for the no 1 defense in the league while never even fully healthy?

It's kinda funny that the discussion here is that the Warriors fans don't think this team is talented enough, but not only do they have one hell of an arsenal on the offense, but they are also #1 on defense.

But to answer your questions, yes, they are great defensively, but this is the finals. Every little flaw in your team gets exposed. It's wrong of me to say they are bad defensively, but as far as a finals team they don't scare me on the defensive end. They are not the Celtics or Heat.

The playoff is about positions and mismatches. The warriors are a good defensive team, but:
1. They lack the size and speed to stop Jaylen Brown.
2. Curry is working hard, but he can easily be mismatched and taken advantage of.
3. Looney is not great on the perimeter.
4. Even though they were top 4 in 3-point defense they have not played it so well lately. You saw it against the Mavs, but nobody noticed it because the Mavs were missing wide-open shots. The Celtics are not missing.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,234

Post#100 » by Onus » Wed Jun 8, 2022 2:41 pm

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Onus wrote:
dirkdiggler4177 wrote:

It's kinda funny that the discussion here is that the Warriors fans don't think this team is talented enough, but not only do they have one hell of an arsenal on the offense, but they are also #1 on defense.

But to answer your questions, yes, they are great defensively, but this is the finals. Every little flaw in your team gets exposed. It's wrong of me to say they are bad defensively, but as far as a finals team they don't scare me on the defensive end. They are not the Celtics or Heat.

The playoff is about positions and mismatches. The warriors are a good defensive team, but:
1. They lack the size and speed to stop Jaylen Brown.
2. Curry is working hard, but he can easily be mismatched and taken advantage of.
3. Looney is not great on the perimeter.
4. Even though they were top 4 in 3-point defense they have not played it so well lately. You saw it against the Mavs, but nobody noticed it because the Mavs were missing wide-open shots. The Celtics are not missing.

Well I disagree with the notion that we aren't talented enough.

We just shut down the celtics last game and held them to 88 points and made them give up in the 4th, but we'll see if we can do that again.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors