ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors reported to be looking to trade this year's first round pick...

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Warriors reported to be looking to trade this year's first round pick... 

Post#1 » by Old_Blue » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:00 pm

Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Hopefully, the return isn't something dumb like two future 2nd round picks.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/fischers-latest-turner-brogdon-nuggets-mavericks-warriors-lakers.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10038623-latest-nba-intel-sources-expect-zach-lavine-to-re-sign-with-chicago-bulls

The Dallas Mavericks, picking No. 26, and Golden State Warriors, picking No. 28, are motivated to find deals for their late-first round selections, sources told B/R. Dallas and Golden State have expensive rosters that feature players such as Brunson, Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins who are due for paydays.

The Mavericks and Warriors are searching for opportunities to acquire future draft capital for those selections, sources said, in the event a coveted player on their boards doesn't fall. Another possible outcome is that they will select international draft-and-stash players.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Re: Warriors reported to be looking to trade this year's first round pick... 

Post#2 » by Onus » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:02 pm

yea for the most part makes sense.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#3 » by ChuckDurn » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:54 pm

Old_Blue wrote:Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Hopefully, the return isn't something dumb like two future 2nd round picks.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/fischers-latest-turner-brogdon-nuggets-mavericks-warriors-lakers.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10038623-latest-nba-intel-sources-expect-zach-lavine-to-re-sign-with-chicago-bulls

The Dallas Mavericks, picking No. 26, and Golden State Warriors, picking No. 28, are motivated to find deals for their late-first round selections, sources told B/R. Dallas and Golden State have expensive rosters that feature players such as Brunson, Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins who are due for paydays.

The Mavericks and Warriors are searching for opportunities to acquire future draft capital for those selections, sources said, in the event a coveted player on their boards doesn't fall. Another possible outcome is that they will select international draft-and-stash players.

I'm skeptical. I think the Warriors need to get controllable young talent on small contracts, so I expect they'll use this pick rather than trading it. But in using it, it'll be on a mature, upperclassman-type player who they view as less of a "development project with a high upside" and more of a "guy who can contribute some right away, even if they have a low ceiling".

It's why somebody like Christian Braun (though he's not the only one) would make sense......
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#4 » by Commodor » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:15 pm

I was more hoping they would package up #28, 51 & 57 + cash to get in the 20-25 range.

Maybe Philly or MIL would appreciate some extra picks.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:30 am

If they were not looking at those options they would not be doing a good job. I think it's a nothing story.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:56 am

It would be something if the Warriors continue to keep draft picks and develop players.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#7 » by Coxy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:13 am

Bob needs to get on the phone with Minnesota regarding pick #28. We have been good trading partners over the years, I feel like theres a deal there (mad lolz).
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#8 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:16 am

Lacob is hunting for the next smiley.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#9 » by azwfan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 am

If we do trade out of the pick, i hope its for a future 1st. The only way I’d be happy with 2nds is if one of them is in the top 40 this year and then maybe other(s) in the future.

I dont think #28 holds this kind of value but i was thinking 28 + 51 to NYK for the Dallas ‘23 1st (top 10 protected) and #45.

I really dont think there will be much worth worrying about by time 51 and 55 roll around which is why I want us to be in the top 40/45.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#10 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:13 am

doesnt make sense to me, locking in rookie scale players is the best way to manage the cap long term if you hit on a decent player.
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#11 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:36 am

clyde21 wrote:doesnt make sense to me, locking in rookie scale players is the best way to manage the cap long term if you hit on a decent player.

The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

Moody, Kuminga and Wiseman (hasn’t gotten PT cause injury) are young and need time. Adding another kid doesn’t help. We need them to get minutes.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:43 am

TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:doesnt make sense to me, locking in rookie scale players is the best way to manage the cap long term if you hit on a decent player.

The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

Moody, Kuminga and Wiseman (hasn’t gotten PT cause injury) are young and need time. Adding another kid doesn’t help. We need them to get minutes.

Wiseman is gonna be entering his 3rd yr now and if he still can't stay healthy or prove he's a good fit he should be traded, and we don't have to draft a super young guy with our pick, you can find 21/22 yr olds that can contribute in some capacity

and if u need vets u can always get them on vet mins, we just got Bjelica, Iggy and Otto on vet mins. that is the best method of cost control if you have an expensive roster, rookie scale and vet min players.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:47 am

this is our inked roster heading into FA

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody
Wiggy
Dray / Minga
Wiseman

that's 8 guys.

assuming we bring back Loon/Gp2 that's 10.

if we use the 28 pick, that still leaves us 4 spots for vet min guys. we have plenty of experience on this team. don't see that as a legitimate reason to trade the pick at all.

id much rather take a flyer on a Liddell or Terry at 28 than trading the pick just so we can sign another vet min guy?
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#14 » by tarantism » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:52 am

Sort of a weird story. I'd think that adding another young guy on a team controlled contract would be beneficial for the team, so I'd assume that this is just a "keeping options open" sort of report and not their #1 option. That feeling is heightened by the report mentioning that they might look to do it if "nobody they like falls".

So they might take a player, trade the pick or stash a euro? Sure seems like literally all of the available options to me. I.e. nothing story.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
azwfan
RealGM

Post#15 » by azwfan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:03 am

tarantism wrote:Sort of a weird story. I'd think that adding another young guy on a team controlled contract would be beneficial for the team, so I'd assume that this is just a "keeping options open" sort of report and not their #1 option. That feeling is heightened by the report mentioning that they might look to do it if "nobody they like falls".

So they might take a player, trade the pick or stash a euro? Sure seems like literally all of the available options to me. I.e. nothing story.

True.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#16 » by azwfan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:20 am

clyde21 wrote:this is our inked roster heading into FA

Steph / Poole
Klay / Moody
Wiggy
Dray / Minga
Wiseman

that's 8 guys.

assuming we bring back Loon/Gp2 that's 10.

if we use the 28 pick, that still leaves us 4 spots for vet min guys. we have plenty of experience on this team. don't see that as a legitimate reason to trade the pick at all.

id much rather take a flyer on a Liddell or Terry at 28 than trading the pick just so we can sign another vet min guy?

If I had to guess, I would think we are planning to leave the 15th spot open until trade deadline / mid season to both keep some roster flexibility and also save ownership some cash. Or at least have non-guaranteed player. Honestly, think we planned to do that this year but GP2 proved to be too valuable.
As for the other 4 spots:

1. Vet big (Belly)
2.Vet wing (OPJr)
3 & 4 2nd rd picks / Jessup / JTA, / Lee / Weatherspoon to compete for the 2 last roster spots.

Most likely the 2nds are two way’d or euro stash. Leaving the rest to compete for the 13th and 14th roster spot.

Think this is the roster spot that would be filled with the 1st rd pick. I mean, why draft someone we dont really like.

Additionally, having open roster spots makes our club more attractive in the backend of the 2nd rd (where we have 2 picks) where agents are angling for their guys to not be drafted so they can choose the best situation for them. Well GSW with less guaranteed roster spots may be somewhere a nice prospect who slipped out of the top of the 2nd rd may angle to go to as opposed to a team that doesnt have any opportunity.

Example 1: Nico Mannion angled to be drafted by the Warriors after he wasnt picked in the 1st.

Example 2: Austin Reeves angling to not be drafted as there looked to be opportunity with the Lakers

Im sure this happens a lot more often than those examples. At any rate its all a bunch of nothing right now, but there is some possible logic behind punting the 1st for a future draft.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:31 am

i mean, if we end up trading the pick because we don't like anyone available that's a different story than wanting to trade the pick to save $, you don't know if someone you like drops or not until draft night.

i agree we will leave 1 or 2 spots open, that'll still give us two spots for vet min guys after we bring back Loon/Gp2. either way, there will be plenty of vets/experience on the roster if that's the issue.

if a guy like Terry or Liddell or especially someone like Diabate drop, don't see how u don't make the pick honestly. but who knows what they are thinking.

seems like a non-story to me as well.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#18 » by azwfan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:33 am

If we do draft with #28 someone who can help some next season.

These are the guys Ive looked at that I like:
Liddell
LaRavia
Braun
Moore Jr

No idea on Internationals for draft and stash.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#19 » by azwfan » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:37 am

clyde21 wrote:i mean, if we end up trading the pick because we don't like anyone available that's a different story than wanting to trade the pick to save $, you don't know if someone you like drops or not until draft night.

i agree we will leave 1 or 2 spots open, that'll still give us two spots for vet min guys after we bring back Loon/Gp2. either way, there will be plenty of vets/experience on the roster if that's the issue.

if a guy like Terry or Liddell or especially someone like Diabate drop, don't see how u don't make the pick honestly. but who knows what they are thinking.

seems like a non-story to me as well.

I really like Diabate and I would be super disappointed if we passed on him to draft some guy who maybe help in the regular season (maybe) or trade the pick. Terry falls in that category too, but to a lessor extent.

If the choice is trading the pick for a future 1st or guys like Braun or Moore, I’d probably prefer to trade the pick.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,688

Post#20 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 am

Draft a raw player with upside potential that must play in g-league to get experience and then hope we hit a home run with upside potential.

Return to Golden State Warriors