ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors reported to be looking to trade this year's first round pick...

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Re: Warriors reported to be looking to trade this year's first round pick... 

Post#21 » by Mac1958 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:55 am

This story makes me look at the roster, and it blows my mind that a team one win away from the ring ALSO has this much amazing, shiny new talent. Poole, Kuminga, Moody, Wiseman. If Wiseman is finally, actually healthy, this would be his first training camp, and he'd be dang near LIKE a rookie.

If we can get either a player who REALLY CAN contribute immediately (that far down?) or an exciting international player to stash, I'd want to keep the pick. Otherwise, there's a ton to work with (and give floor time to) right now.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#22 » by floppymoose » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:41 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:doesnt make sense to me, locking in rookie scale players is the best way to manage the cap long term if you hit on a decent player.

The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

Moody, Kuminga and Wiseman (hasn’t gotten PT cause injury) are young and need time. Adding another kid doesn’t help. We need them to get minutes.

More draft picks. more more more! I don't care if there is no time to play all of them. If one is a homerun, it makes the whole project a success.
TrueFan420
Senior
And1: 431

Post#23 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:44 pm

floppymoose wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:doesnt make sense to me, locking in rookie scale players is the best way to manage the cap long term if you hit on a decent player.

The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

Moody, Kuminga and Wiseman (hasn’t gotten PT cause injury) are young and need time. Adding another kid doesn’t help. We need them to get minutes.

More draft picks. more more more! I don't care if there is no time to play all of them. If one is a homerun, it makes the whole project a success.

We won’t know if their a home run if they can’t play. I’m down looking for a Dray look a like as that’s the missing piece to our youth movement on the bench. Just not sure that will be there when we pick. If not, I’m cool with moving it for a future 1st.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:56 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

We won’t know if their a home run if they can’t play. I’m down looking for a Dray look a like as that’s the missing piece to our youth movement on the bench. Just not sure that will be there when we pick. If not, I’m cool with moving it for a future 1st.

yes if everyone sucks trade the pick, don't think anyone disagrees with that

i fail to see tho why a future 1st is more valuable for us than a current 1st.
TrueFan420
Senior

Post#25 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:09 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

Not just if everyone sucks but if the right type of player even if they look like they could be a decent gamble I’d pass. I’m looking for something specific.

It just passes the buck down the line. Remember once the older guys age out our young guys will be getting those big deals and we will need rookie scale contracts to fill out the team. Plus pushing it down and having 2 picks in a draft will give us a chance to move up for a prospect we like.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#26 » by floppymoose » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:11 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:The reason is we’re already super young on the bench.

We won’t know if their a home run if they can’t play.

If they cant play they werent a homerun
TrueFan420
Senior

Post#27 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:20 pm

floppymoose wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
floppymoose wrote:

We won’t know if their a home run if they can’t play.

If they cant play they werent a homerun

Moody and Kuminga didn’t play much and Kuminga didn’t really get burn until some injuries. They both look like they’ll be players. But still raw. We draft another kid it takes time and we’re not the Magic. We’re pushing for a title.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#28 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:45 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:We won’t know if their a home run if they can’t play. I’m down looking for a Dray look a like as that’s the missing piece to our youth movement on the bench. Just not sure that will be there when we pick. If not, I’m cool with moving it for a future 1st.

Not just if everyone sucks but if the right type of player even if they look like they could be a decent gamble I’d pass. I’m looking for something specific.

It just passes the buck down the line. Remember once the older guys age out our young guys will be getting those big deals and we will need rookie scale contracts to fill out the team. Plus pushing it down and having 2 picks in a draft will give us a chance to move up for a prospect we like.

i mean, it's difficult the find the exact player you're looking for at 28, at that point you kinda just hope some talent just falls and you grab the best fit for you...whether it's a secondary playmaker, a shooter, an off-bench big, w/e.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,292

Post#29 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:58 pm

They will probably trade it for 1 or 2 second round picks. Draft and stash and keep the rights.

Poole, Kuminga, Moody and Wiseman all need development and minutes. We cannot take in another raw rookie.

Also, with the tax everything is 5-6x. They are not going to pay 5-6x to a #28 pick guy. I can understand it if they are serious about keeping Wiggins and Poole beyond next season.

They will pay tax for difference makers through TMLE, but not a #28 rookie who will be behind Lee and JTA, if they are still here.

<add>

Whether we wing a ring or not this season, there will be more/better ring chasing vets willing to join than last summer. That is how to better spend the $ which will be 5-6x after tax, instead of a #28 pick player.

In fact, I can only see them using that pick if they see a lottery/top 10 player on their board, dropping to #28. Otherwise, I see them trading away the pick.
TrueFan420
Senior

Post#30 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

i mean, it's difficult the find the exact player you're looking for at 28, at that point you kinda just hope some talent just falls and you grab the best fit for you...whether it's a secondary playmaker, a shooter, an off-bench big, w/e.

That’s exactly why I’d move it if I don’t see exactly what I’m looking for. We don’t need another rookie. We have enough young guys that need minutes as is and we will add more vets. If the right guy isn’t there then move it for a future 1st. Then we have 2 in the same year and we can move up if we see our guy (that Dray Replacement).

Hell I wouldn’t care if they sold both seconds for as much money as they could to just help cover that tax bill as a whole.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#31 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:28 pm

TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:Not just if everyone sucks but if the right type of player even if they look like they could be a decent gamble I’d pass. I’m looking for something specific.

That’s exactly why I’d move it if I don’t see exactly what I’m looking for. We don’t need another rookie. We have enough young guys that need minutes as is and we will add more vets. If the right guy isn’t there then move it for a future 1st. Then we have 2 in the same year and we can move up if we see our guy (that Dray Replacement).

Hell I wouldn’t care if they sold both seconds for as much money as they could to just help cover that tax bill as a whole.

there is no guarantee that you're gonna find exactly what you're looking for in a future first either, do you just keep kicking the can down the road? just take a player you think will contribute in the next few years while this core is still here and call it day. no reason to get cute here imo just so you can have space for another vet min guy.
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#32 » by SFrush » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Even by some small chance that Myers gets offered a future first round pick for our pick. It will certainly be heavily protected. I doubt anyone is giving up a lightly protected future first for a late first round pick in this draft.
CS707
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#33 » by CS707 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:06 pm

Is Jessup still in play at all? Maybe they're earmarking that salary for him.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#34 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:50 pm

gst8 wrote:Is Jessup still in play at all? Maybe they're earmarking that salary for him.

The Warriors still have his rights--I would expect him to show up in summer league and/or training camp to compete for a spot.
TrueFan420
Senior

Post#35 » by TrueFan420 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:45 pm

clyde21 wrote:
TrueFan420 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

there is no guarantee that you're gonna find exactly what you're looking for in a future first either, do you just keep kicking the can down the road? just take a player you think will contribute in the next few years while this core is still here and call it day. no reason to get cute here imo just so you can have space for another vet min guy.

I get what your saying but its just one piece of it. There’s only so many developmental minute available. Eventually you pull the trigger but next year I’d rather every extra minute possible go to Moody, Kuminga and Wiseman. No need to bring in another kid unless it’s a Dray clone.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#36 » by Commodor » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:48 pm

The real question is.... when is Nico coming back from Italy?
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,089

Post#37 » by The-Power » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:13 pm

Commodor wrote:I was more hoping they would package up #28, 51 & 57 + cash to get in the 20-25 range.

Maybe Philly or MIL would appreciate some extra picks.

Late 2nds aren't going to be worth much at all, especially in this year's draft. I feel like you'll be able to just acquire those picks for relatively little money or future protected 2nds, and not have to trade down from your 1st. So you'd have to believe these teams really like the cash which... I don't really see considering the limits on how much can be sent.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#38 » by watch1958 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Commodor wrote:The real question is.... when is Nico coming back from Italy?
From what little I have heard, I’d guess at least another full year.

I do wonder if he’s going to summer league.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#39 » by Old_Blue » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:43 am

The Mavs just traded their #26 pick for Christian Wood. Wonder what we'll get for our #28 pick.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/rockets-to-trade-christian-wood-to-mavericks.html
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#40 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:23 am

Old_Blue wrote:The Mavs just traded their #26 pick for Christian Wood. Wonder what we'll get for our #28 pick.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/rockets-to-trade-christian-wood-to-mavericks.html

I'm not the biggest Christian Wood fan.... at all..... but man. That's a big bucket of trash the Rockets got back for him. I'm stunned they couldn't get more. Boban is a novelty who's probably done; Chriss and Burke are fringe NBA players; Brown is a 10th-12th man. You can't count on any of them for a contribution, and the 26th pick is a 50/50 proposition at best.

Just seems like the Rockets got nothing for Wood, which probably says something about how he's actually regarded around the league.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Golden State Warriors