ImageImageImageImageImage

So did the Warriors give up on Nico Mannion?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

zhuangcorp
Junior
And1: 65

So did the Warriors give up on Nico Mannion? 

Post#1 » by zhuangcorp » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:49 am

Personally I liked this guy and hoped he could develop. But it seems he isn't playing particularly well in Italy.

So have the Warriors given up on him completely? Is his time in the NBA over?
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Re: So did the Warriors give up on Nico Mannion? 

Post#2 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:05 am

With Rollins in. Looks like he may be out.
bay2hk
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#3 » by bay2hk » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:16 am

Nico is still under contract so it doesn’t make sense for him to risk injury playing in summer league. Nico will need to ball out next year or start from the bottom at the gleague if he wants to return to the NBA
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#4 » by Samurai » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:00 am

The Dubs don't have a true pass-first PG (unless you count Draymond) so I would think the team will at least consider him as an option if they are impressed with his progress. But the fact that he fell out of the rotation at Virtus Bologna isn't encouraging. Although there was a report last month that "some NBA teams" are looking at him for Summer League; don't know if GSW is one of those teams.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#5 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:21 pm

He's a grinder. I think the Warriors don't have room for him, but he could still make it back in the league.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#6 » by a8bil » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:27 pm

Undersized and relatively unathletic is hardly a recipe for an NBA career. Maybe he can become a version of Seth Curry, but he would need to improve his shooting immensely to carve out that role.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#7 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Besides what everyone has said, Nico got sick and lost A LOT of weight due to that intestinal virus infection... link

It's been a hard, long road back for him.

Still rooting for the guy, though.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#8 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 pm

Nico fell to 3rd in the PG rotation for his team in Italy (Virtus Bologna) behind Alessandro Pajola, who is 22 and has been with the team for seven years.

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/player/67710/alessandro-pajola

Marco Bellinelli (35) and Milo Teodosic (34) are their starting backcourt. Both are under contract for 22-23.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#9 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 am

Nico’s stats in Italy were not good. If Nico can turn himself into a player that can crack the Warriors rotation then good. Draft 5 Players like Nico and one of them will succeed. It is good that Nico is not using a roster spot.

If Nico was fast then letting him slip away might bother me. His shake and bake looks good but the results are not good.

We finally gave up on Smailigic.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#10 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:48 am

Samurai wrote:The Dubs don't have a true pass-first PG (unless you count Draymond) so I would think the team will at least consider him as an option if they are impressed with his progress. But the fact that he fell out of the rotation at Virtus Bologna isn't encouraging. Although there was a report last month that "some NBA teams" are looking at him for Summer League; don't know if GSW is one of those teams.

Warriors can look for a better pass first point guard than Nico in the G-league scrap heap. A quick pass first guy that can pressure opposing point guards on defense would be nice. I see Nico as more of a scorer. Only Nico has not shown that he is an NBA level scorer or an NBA level player.

You win some and lose some. It looks like Nico was a loss but there is still a chance that Nico can become a player.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 205

Post#11 » by B-King » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am

Unless Nico develops a reliable jump shot, he is never coming back to the NBA. There is no reason for the Warriors to consider either Nico or Jessup for next year. They need to prove themselves more abroad.

The Warriors have too many talented youngsters that need minutes.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#12 » by TB » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:38 pm

Nico really struggled in Eurocup and basically didn't factor into their rotation by the end of it when they won (essentially their playoffs).

In the domestic league he was actually pretty good as their backup PG. The way I put it before, and I still believe, if he had just been a Euro prospect this year at his age with the season he had, he probably gets drafted 2nd round last week. Now, with us drafting Rollins, it sure feels like we aren't going to have room for him this this upcoming season.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#13 » by Samurai » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:36 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Samurai wrote:The Dubs don't have a true pass-first PG (unless you count Draymond) so I would think the team will at least consider him as an option if they are impressed with his progress. But the fact that he fell out of the rotation at Virtus Bologna isn't encouraging. Although there was a report last month that "some NBA teams" are looking at him for Summer League; don't know if GSW is one of those teams.

Warriors can look for a better pass first point guard than Nico in the G-league scrap heap. A quick pass first guy that can pressure opposing point guards on defense would be nice. I see Nico as more of a scorer. Only Nico has not shown that he is an NBA level scorer or an NBA level player.

You win some and lose some. It looks like Nico was a loss but there is still a chance that Nico can become a player.

One would think we could find someone better in the G-league scrap heap, but if memory serves, we still ended up with Chiozza last season.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Samurai wrote:

One would think we could find someone better in the G-league scrap heap, but if memory serves, we still ended up with Chiozza last season.

I think all the teams have realized there is actual talent in the GL. I watch pretty regularly and is seems the top 3rd of that league are already on a team in some way
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#15 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:53 pm

Samurai wrote:

Try again, we can find a better NBA player for the past first point guard / defensive point guard role than Chiozza.
I think Chiozza had good G-league stats. I am thinking to find a guy who can pass and defend but can’t shoot. You can’t get everything from a scrapheap guy so just let him be very good at his specialties and don’t play him much on the NBA level. I just want a guy who can pass when they Draymond/Curry pair are resting on the bench and the Payton Poole pair is failing at running the offense, or for when a quick little water bug point guard is carving up the Warriors defense and Payton isn’t fast enough to contain him. So that is two roles only, 1 run the offense, 2 stay in front of ultra-fast point guards on defense. No shooting ability is required.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#16 » by hamncheese » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 pm

Just a formality I suppose, but he was given a 2-way qualifying offer so he is a restricted free agent. Don't know if he gets a contract offer but at least the Warriors have the option to match.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#17 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm

hamncheese wrote:Just a formality I suppose, but he was given a 2-way qualifying offer so he is a restricted free agent. Don't know if he gets a contract offer but at least the Warriors have the option to match.

The Warriors keep his rights this way. It seems that he still has a year on his Italian contract so he's unlikely to accept.

Return to Golden State Warriors