is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#441 » by HiRez » Tue May 9, 2023 8:00 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
HiRez wrote:According to Kerr, those last 2 Klay shots, and the Curry 30 footer, were "good looks" :nonono:

Hmm the interview I heard was that Kerr said Klay's last 2 shots were shots that Klay would probably like to have back.

But yeah Steve rarely roasts his players, it's usually just support publicly. We all saw him throw his hands up during/after the 1st shot, right? Dray too.

So yeah, I thought he said good looks, he didn't say the good part:
"I trust Klay, think of everything he's done for this team so part of who he is, he's going to fire away. There were a couple late that he'd probably like to have back, but that's part of who we are as a team. We're gonna fire, if Steph or Klay gets an opening, they're gonna let it go...they both had some looks down the stretch but give the Lakers credit, they played good defense and they couldn't get anything to go."

But it does sounds like he's saying they were good looks for those guys. Sure, we know Steph and Klay can hit a contested 30 foot shot but you're telling me those were the best shots they could have gotten? There just seems to be a disconnect between what these guys were in 2016 and what they are now that Kerr isn't seeing or doesn't want to acknowledge. Basically, it's "these guys are legends and I'm not telling them what to do or not do". Which OK, fair enough, but he's saying if the ship is sinking, I'm not telling the guys to plug the holes because I'm just the captain, I'm not the hole-plugging guy, they know what they're doing.

Just feels like the whole thing is over at this point. Our vets are not who they used to be, they need help, but they're not going to get any help from the bench either. Kerr isn't going to correct anything. Roster construction and Kerr's stubbornness already doomed this team before the season began, we're just seeing it play out the final moments now.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#442 » by wco81 » Tue May 9, 2023 8:19 pm

It's a bad matchup, AD is camping in the paint waiting for any penetration and they're also letting Wiggins and DDV shoot away.

Any contact in the paint when GSW drives isn't called, the opposite of what happens on the other end.

So the Lakers load up on Curry and Klay outside the arc and any penetration and let role players take wide open shots, which they're not hitting often enough. First two games the Warriors were red hot, well Klay in game 2. But overall they made 21 3-pointers in both games.

That's not happening now, the role players have to step up as role players for the Heat and the Suns have.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,968

Post#443 » by DonaldSanders » Tue May 9, 2023 8:33 pm

HiRez wrote:But it does sounds like he's saying they were good looks for those guys. Sure, we know Steph and Klay can hit a contested 30 foot shot but you're telling me those were the best shots they could have gotten? There just seems to be a disconnect between what these guys were in 2016 and what they are now that Kerr isn't seeing or doesn't want to acknowledge. Basically, it's "these guys are legends and I'm not telling them what to do or not do". Which OK, fair enough, but he's saying if the ship is sinking, I'm not telling the guys to plug the holes because I'm just the captain, I'm not the hole-plugging guy, they know what they're doing.

Just feels like the whole thing is over at this point. Our vets are not who they used to be, they need help, but they're not going to get any help from the bench either. Kerr isn't going to correct anything. Roster construction and Kerr's stubbornness already doomed this team before the season began, we're just seeing it play out the final moments now.

Hmm I really think that's as far as Steve will go in terms of criticizing a player publicly, especially after a playoff game. He needs the guys to have confidence and pointing out mistakes in public isn't helpful. In the timeout he said "keep sharing the ball, don't play hero ball" so I think he knows they aren't good shots. The guys just aren't listening, he can't make them pass the ball around. Steve threw his hands up in disgust after one of Klay's bad shots.

I definitely thought the roster construction was bad, we saw the Celtics get better and we got worse. I like that we got GPII back, but we're still worse than the prior season. When you have a seriously aging core, you really need to improve the next year and we did not. We need a guy that can play inside and more size, many of us begged for an Olynyk/Vanderbilt trade all year (or Poeltl) and now one of those guys is helping eliminate us.

There has to be some FO/ownership discord, just standing pat was not the move especially after we saw what kind of team we had over the course of this season. It's so frustrating for us to be this close in a year where there is no juggernaut, I think we'll regret not pulling the trigger on an all-in trade to pick up more help this year.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 723

Post#444 » by Jerry Maine » Tue May 9, 2023 11:56 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:I for one am prepared, assuming we win game 5, to see if Klay rolls out a vintage game 6 Klay special before I put a fork in him.

where was he for Game 6 vs Sacramento or Game 7 vs the Kings?

Missing, admittedly.

But the outcomes are:

Game 6 Klay shows up and we win

Game 6 Klay fails to show, we lose, and everyone can walk into next season under no illusions that this chapter is over, come what may.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,878

Post#445 » by Hoopstar23 » Wed May 10, 2023 12:14 am

Jerry Maine wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:I for one am prepared, assuming we win game 5, to see if Klay rolls out a vintage game 6 Klay special before I put a fork in him.

Missing, admittedly.

But the outcomes are:

Game 6 Klay fails to show, we lose, and everyone can walk into next season under no illusions that this chapter is over, come what may.

so far I haven't seen that guy...
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#446 » by Jerry Maine » Wed May 10, 2023 12:28 am

C'mon, that guy showed as recently as game 2

It's not like we have ant other viable options. Poole is a trainwreck, Kuminga a novice and everyone else a role player. It's Klay or bust at this point
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#447 » by Impuniti » Wed May 10, 2023 3:35 am

Jerry Maine wrote:C'mon, that guy showed as recently as game 2

It's not like we have ant other viable options. Poole is a trainwreck, Kuminga a novice and everyone else a role player. It's Klay or bust at this point

What are you even talking about? :banghead: Klay showed up in a game the Warriors by 30, and he was complete and utter **** in two games that they barely lost. If he wasn't such a dumpster fire, the Warriors could just as easily be 3-1 as they are down 1-3. JP had 10 minutes of terrible basketball in a 3 point loss last night, Klay played 40 minutes of terrible basketball.

Another issue I have with Klay is that he puts his own game above the objective of the team. We all know the famous saying of when KD joined the Warriors. He's the only player that didn't change **** about his game to fit, everyone else did. He didn't as much shots last night since they were doing P&R to exploit Davis so what does he do, garbage hero ball BS at the end of the game.
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#448 » by Impuniti » Wed May 10, 2023 3:37 am

Jerry Maine wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:

Missing, admittedly.

But the outcomes are:

Game 6 Klay literally averages 1 more PPG than he has throughout his career in the PS. He has shown up in 3 iconic game 6s and people forget every other time because others show up. He was the worst player on the court in last year's NBA final game 6.. for both teams. It didn't matter because everyone else showed up.

I really liked his 3 games he had vs the Kings where he took less shots but was efficient, and played solid D in the middle of the series. That's what would make more sense than him trying to prove he's clearly better than Poole.. which he no longer needs to do because JP is playing like the worst contract in the league.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#449 » by Jerry Maine » Wed May 10, 2023 4:35 am

Impuniti wrote:

What are you even talking about? :banghead: Klay showed up in a game the Warriors by 30, and he was complete and utter **** in two games that they barely lost. If he wasn't such a dumpster fire, the Warriors could just as easily be 3-1 as they are down 1-3. JP had 10 minutes of terrible basketball in a 3 point loss last night, Klay played 40 minutes of terrible basketball.

Another issue I have with Klay is that he puts his own game above the objective of the team. We all know the famous saying of when KD joined the Warriors. He's the only player that didn't change **** about his game to fit, everyone else did. He didn't as much shots last night since they were doing P&R to exploit Davis so what does he do, garbage hero ball BS at the end of the game.

My point is Klay played well as recently as game 2, and we don't have any other options aside hoping that Klay shows up again, assuming we win game 5.

I mean, surely the chances of Klay pulling a vintage game or two out of his arse is multiple times more likely than Poole doing anything of value, or a role player suddenly morphing into a legit 2nd option. It's not that I like the Klay option, but there is simply nothing else on the menu

If nothing else it will give everyone closure on the core 3 guys going into the offseason, and we can make some changes then while we see what happens with Dray
Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#450 » by Hoopstar23 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:22 am

Klay bad tonight again? are we really hoping for Game 6 Klay? prepared to get disappointed? i think so
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#451 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu May 11, 2023 12:50 pm

He can’t hit shots on the bounce or coming off a curl anymore. He should just stand in the corner every possession like PJ Tucker.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Impuniti
General Manager

Post#452 » by Impuniti » Thu May 11, 2023 2:02 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:
Impuniti wrote:

My point is Klay played well as recently as game 2, and we don't have any other options aside hoping that Klay shows up again, assuming we win game 5.

I mean, surely the chances of Klay pulling a vintage game or two out of his arse is multiple times more likely than Poole doing anything of value, or a role player suddenly morphing into a legit 2nd option. It's not that I like the Klay option, but there is simply nothing else on the menu

If nothing else it will give everyone closure on the core 3 guys going into the offseason, and we can make some changes then while we see what happens with Dray

Klay doesn't need to go 'off' though. If he does early on, then ride and see how far he can go with the form and turn the faucet off if he goes cold. To me some of his games vs Sac he was playing very good basketball, but moreso as a role player rather than the #2 guy. Take 12-13 shots on good efficiency, move around off ball to help the team and try to play some damn disciplined D (because when he does even with his now physical limitations, he's pretty good).

He should be playing the Iggy role and instead he tries to be 2015-2018 Klay. If he did, the offense would probably be a lot smoother if he saved his legs to play a bit more D and open up space for teammates.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man

Post#453 » by Jerry Maine » Thu May 11, 2023 2:48 pm

He has limited his attempts the last 3 games to about those numbers, he just hasn't had the efficiency, and of course he forced two bad looks at the end of a very winnable game 4.

Ideally we'd have a better 2nd option and he could settle into a less demanding role, but that's a discussion for the offseason
wco81
RealGM

Post#454 » by wco81 » Thu May 11, 2023 3:15 pm

+16 last night.

Morons saying Moody who ws +1 should have gotten all of Klay's minutes.

:roll:
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#455 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu May 11, 2023 7:53 pm

wco81 wrote:+16 last night.

He played with Steph and Wiggs who dominated the game

Moody played in the 4-guard lineup…
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
wco81
RealGM

Post#456 » by wco81 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:01 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
wco81 wrote:+16 last night.

He played with Steph and Wiggs who dominated the game

Moody played in the 4-guard lineup…

Steph was +12 and Wiggins was +16.

So maybe it was more that they played with him. :wink:

Or maybe he played all his minutes with GP2 who was game high +25.

But sure, unless Klay is hot from 3, he can't possibly be doing anything.

Oh look, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks. He played 37 minutes, second most after Curry.

Oh but Kerr is an incompetent fraud, the Warriors won 4 titles under him DESPITE him. :lol:
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#457 » by Dom801e » Thu May 11, 2023 8:26 pm

Klay is what he is. A great, but streaky shooter, who doesn't do much else offensively. He was elite when traits were paired with his good defense. Now that he is below average on defense he is the quality of an average starter/good sixth man.
Hoopstar23
Veteran

Post#458 » by Hoopstar23 » Sat May 13, 2023 4:47 am

It's not a question anymore

Sent from my SM-G998U using RealGM Forums mobile app
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,164

Post#459 » by cpower » Sat May 13, 2023 4:48 am

man we would probably win a few games if Klay did not play.. he is that bad..tonight he just cared about his shots nothing else.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#460 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat May 13, 2023 4:53 am

Worst player in the playoffs.

Return to Golden State Warriors