Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Re: We need a playable back up center 

Post#221 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Would you feel differently if we had Jordan Bell on the roster? How about Omari Spellman?

If you don’t want to get beaten by Anthony Davis and the other Laker bigs you must have a 3rd quality big man backing up Looney and Draymond.

JMG, Kuminga and Lamb are not the answer.

That might be true. I don't know what that has to do at all with Omari Spellman, Jordan Bell, Tacko Fall, Pavel Podkolzin, Patrick O'Bryant, Hasheem Thabeet, or anyone else that is big but has no quality.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#222 » by EvanZ » Wed May 31, 2023 8:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:LMAO as if a third big was the difference in that series. They can't even play Looney and Draymond together, let alone another stiff.

You undervalue centers that can defend.

Draymond and Looney together was our best line up.
But no Draymond or Looney was our worst line up.
Playing Draymond and Looney together would mean sometimes having neither of them on the floor and that is worse then having both of them together is good. The need to always have at least one of Draymond and Looney on the floor is why we had to limit their time on the floor together.

Having a decent defensive back up center would make it more OK to have neither of Draymond or Looney on the floor which would make it more OK to play Draymond and Looney together.

Literally you're just telling me we should always have Draymond or Looney on the floor. :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#223 » by Money_ » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:08 am

Stevie Adams?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#224 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:31 am

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:LMAO as if a third big was the difference in that series. They can't even play Looney and Draymond together, let alone another stiff.

Playing Draymond and Looney together would mean sometimes having neither of them on the floor and that is worse then having both of them together is good. The need to always have at least one of Draymond and Looney on the floor is why we had to limit their time on the floor together.

Having a decent defensive back up center would make it more OK to have neither of Draymond or Looney on the floor which would make it more OK to play Draymond and Looney together.

Literally you're just telling me we should always have Draymond or Looney on the floor. :lol:

Just stating the obvious. When we don’t have either of Draymond or Looney on the floor our defense is horrible. Lamb is too small. JMG and Kuminga seem to have serious defensive basketball IQ problems.

Even Draymond and Looney fail as shot blockers but at least they clog the right holes.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#225 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jun 1, 2023 12:38 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

If you don’t want to get beaten by Anthony Davis and the other Laker bigs you must have a 3rd quality big man backing up Looney and Draymond.

That might be true. I don't know what that has to do at all with Omari Spellman, Jordan Bell, Tacko Fall, Pavel Podkolzin, Patrick O'Bryant, Hasheem Thabeet, or anyone else that is big but has no quality.

Tacko fall and is the opposite of small. Tacko Fall is a good shot blocker but he can not defend switches at the 3 point line.

Jordan Bell can move his feet at the 3 point line and block shots at the rim. Jordan Bell is not strong enough to box out truly big men.

I would sign both Jordan Bell and Tacko Fall cheap. Patrick Baldwin can be the stretch 5 that replaces JMG.

So with that Kerr has an answer for any situation at center without spending money. But Kerr has to get over playing small when playing big is better.

You want a shooting center play Baldwin. You want power and inside domination play Tacko Fall. You want a shot blocker that will not get destroyed in 3 point line switches play Jordan Bell. Just decide which is your best option and play him. If you want to play undersized Draymond at center you can still do that but then Lamb or Kuminga must play.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#226 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:27 am

The famed Tacko Bell lineup. Well played buddy. Well played.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#227 » by ILOVEIT » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:05 am

EvanZ wrote:

Just stating the obvious. When we don’t have either of Draymond or Looney on the floor our defense is horrible. Lamb is too small. JMG and Kuminga seem to have serious defensive basketball IQ problems.

Even Draymond and Looney fail as shot blockers but at least they clog the right holes.

Do we agree that opposing teams have figured out they can just sag off both Draymond and Looney?
If we agree on that then we should agree that they shouldn't be playing large minutes together.
THEN we should agree that we need to add a scoring option at either PF or Center?

I'm less concerned about getting a defensive. I want a stretch 4 or 5 so when Draymond and Looney are on the floor Warriors aren't trying to score 3 on 5.

Time to stop asking Curry and Klay to carry the offense.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#228 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:04 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Do we agree that opposing teams have figured out they can just sag off both Draymond and Looney?
If we agree on that then we should agree that they shouldn't be playing large minutes together.
THEN we should agree that we need to add a scoring option at either PF or Center?

I'm less concerned about getting a defensive. I want a stretch 4 or 5 so when Draymond and Looney are on the floor Warriors aren't trying to score 3 on 5.

This is where the opportunity to get better exists. The Lakers sagging off in those 3 on 5 scenarios really did us in. That 5th guy in the lineup in crunch time was a revolving door and constant debate all series.

An extra shooter who is big on the floor opens driving lanes, contributes to better shots on the floor. It keeps Steph and Klay fresher on both ends by not having to work as hard.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#229 » by EvanZ » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:08 pm

BTW there are several "playable backup centers" who will likely go undrafted that are worlds better than Tacko Bell:

Colin Castleton
Oscar Tshiebwe
Charles Bediako

We are much much better picking off one of these guys as a UDFA than signing literally any of the broke ass people mentioned in this thread.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#230 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:24 pm

Tacko fall and is the opposite of small. Tacko Fall is a good shot blocker but he can not defend switches at the 3 point line.

Jordan Bell can move his feet at the 3 point line and block shots at the rim. Jordan Bell is not strong enough to box out truly big men.

I would sign both Jordan Bell and Tacko Fall cheap. Patrick Baldwin can be the stretch 5 that replaces JMG.

So with that Kerr has an answer for any situation at center without spending money. But Kerr has to get over playing small when playing big is better.

You want a shooting center play Baldwin. You want power and inside domination play Tacko Fall. You want a shot blocker that will not get destroyed in 3 point line switches play Jordan Bell. Just decide which is your best option and play him. If you want to play undersized Draymond at center you can still do that but then Lamb or Kuminga must play.

I'm done with this discussion. You want to repeatedly ignore the fact that the players you're discussing can't crack *any* NBA lineup, and haven't been able to for years. They are not, and haven't been, NBA players. You're describing these guys like they just have one weakness, when in fact they can't do anything well at an NBA level and are catastrophically bad at some things. The only one I might grant you is that Tacko Fall is a good shot blocker, which ignores that he's catastrophically bad at *everything* else.

"Jordan Bell can block shots at the rim". Where are you even getting this? He's 6'8" tall and never had a season where he averaged a block a game. His rookie year he almost did it, and after that he never even came close again. The last season anyone bothered him playing more than a handful of games was Minnesota in 2019. That was 4 years ago. That year, for them, he blocked 10 shots in 27 games. That is fewer blocks per game than Klay Thompson had this season.

"You want inside domination play Tacko Fall." In his entire career, Fall averaged 2.2 points, 2.4 rebounds, and couldn't convince anyone at any time to play him more than 7 minutes a game. He never dominated *anything*. As a humorous side note, I had forgotten that his career free throw percentage was 32%. If he could have convinced anyone to let him play more, he would officially be the worst free throw shooter in the history of the NBA, by a lot.

You're just making stuff up.

My only consolation is that you aren't the GM, you aren't going to be the GM, and I can stop reading these proposals. Because I honestly believe you would sign Fall and Bell, in the face of all logic, reason, and data.

For the last time. We need more size. I doubt anyone here disagrees with that. But you completely undermine your point by suggesting the solution is to sign players that were horrible years ago, and haven't even been able to play in the NBA since then. And for the record, Fall is the only one of them who is actually big. Bell and Spellman are shorter than Looney. Looney has a wingspan of 7'3.5". Jordan Bell had a wingspan of 6'11".

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#231 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jun 1, 2023 6:27 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Defenders can sag off Draymond and Looney. Sagging off 2016 Draymond too much might be a mistake. If Draymond was having a good shooting week this year letting Draymond shoot open 3s might not be good. But if Draymond is standing at the 3 point line unguarded then Draymond is not hurting the defense as point forward.

In the current NBA where there are usually 2 players on the floor who can hit 3s at a high percentage while coming off screens non shooters that set good screens can be an offensive force and can provide floor spacing while not being able to shoot. In 1990 nobody except Reggie Miller was shooting 3s while coming off screens. In 2001 there still were not that many players shooting 3s while coming off screens. The guy setting screens for 3 point shooters is much more dangerous than he used to be.

Looney’s offensive rebounding is good offense.

Looney and Draymond are very smart on offense and they do know how to play together. Curry, Klay and Poole and to a degree Wiggins know how to play offense that uses Draymond and Looney.

I don’t think Popvitch Spurs or Harden Rockets with 4 or 5 three point shooters standing still in the corners is as good as 2016 73 win Warriors 5 men in motion offense.

I want some random shot blocking center that can’t shoot to be added to the team but that non shooting shot blocker has to be a competent screen setter.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#232 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:34 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:That might be true. I don't know what that has to do at all with Omari Spellman, Jordan Bell, Tacko Fall, Pavel Podkolzin, Patrick O'Bryant, Hasheem Thabeet, or anyone else that is big but has no quality.

I'm done with this discussion. You want to repeatedly ignore the fact that the players you're discussing can't crack *any* NBA lineup, and haven't been able to for years. They are not, and haven't been, NBA players. You're describing these guys like they just have one weakness, when in fact they can't do anything well at an NBA level and are catastrophically bad at some things. The only one I might grant you is that Tacko Fall is a good shot blocker, which ignores that he's catastrophically bad at *everything* else.

"Jordan Bell can block shots at the rim". Where are you even getting this? He's 6'8" tall and never had a season where he averaged a block a game. His rookie year he almost did it, and after that he never even came close again. The last season anyone bothered him playing more than a handful of games was Minnesota in 2019. That was 4 years ago. That year, for them, he blocked 10 shots in 27 games. That is fewer blocks per game than Klay Thompson had this season.

"You want inside domination play Tacko Fall." In his entire career, Fall averaged 2.2 points, 2.4 rebounds, and couldn't convince anyone at any time to play him more than 7 minutes a game. He never dominated *anything*. As a humorous side note, I had forgotten that his career free throw percentage was 32%. If he could have convinced anyone to let him play more, he would officially be the worst free throw shooter in the history of the NBA, by a lot.

You're just making stuff up.

My only consolation is that you aren't the GM, you aren't going to be the GM, and I can stop reading these proposals. Because I honestly believe you would sign Fall and Bell, in the face of all logic, reason, and data.

For the last time. We need more size. I doubt anyone here disagrees with that. But you completely undermine your point by suggesting the solution is to sign players that were horrible years ago, and haven't even been able to play in the NBA since then. And for the record, Fall is the only one of them who is actually big. Bell and Spellman are shorter than Looney. Looney has a wingspan of 7'3.5". Jordan Bell had a wingspan of 6'11".

I am not saying don’t choose the best shot blocking center that the Warriors can afford.

Tacko Fall is not in the NBA because he is a defensive liability away from the hoop. Near the hoop Tacko Fall is very good.

Jordan Bell is a marginal player because he is an undersized center. Jordan Bell is more of a shot blocker than Looney because Jordan Bell can jump.

I would sign those two guys or sign somebody better than them. Looney and a Draymond having no big back up is not OK. Warriors having no shot blockers is not OK.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#233 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:29 am

Dramatic regular season game, Warriors vs Thunder, Feb 2016, Curry ties 3s in a game record with 12. Come from behind
https://m.facebook.com/nba/videos/february-27-2016-warriors-at-thunder-nbatogetherlive/206830020598194/?wtsid=rdr_0MadB39yBtnGJRCGj
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#234 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:45 am

Chris Paul has nteresting. OK good, but we still need a shot blocking back up center.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#235 » by Onus » Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:49 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Chris Paul has nteresting. OK good, but we still need a shot blocking back up center.

We drafted tdj for you
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#236 » by HiRez » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:12 am

Money_ wrote:Stevie Adams?

Adams would be great for us, but I don't think there's an easy way to make a trade work without sending Looney or GP2. Kuminga isn't enough (not even Kuminga + Moody is) and outside of that we only have really big contracts left and zero low-value contracts after unloading Rollins and PBJ.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#237 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:02 am

People still talking about tako fall? It's 2923, at least move onto someone like edey. :D
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#238 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:23 am

Onus wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Chris Paul has nteresting. OK good, but we still need a shot blocking back up center.

We drafted tdj for you

The kid did block shots in college.
Scouting bitches about his lack of outside shooting but I don’t ask for outside shooting from big men.
He is small for an NBA center.

Even with 4 years of college Warriors don’t play rookies. Draft pundits are not talking about his shot blocking as if they don’t think he will be a shot blocker in the NBA or maybe the pundits and fans only care about offense. The kid has inside scoring skills.

We only have Chris Paul for a year so we need more experienced shot blockers. This Rookie might be ready in a few years.
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 828

Post#239 » by marthafokker » Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:31 am

I am still mad about the Jessup instead of Paul Reed. He fell like a rock. Kerr could have used Reed instead of another wasted pick that was supposed to be good at shooting. Uh...he really sucked.

I take TJD instead of another stupid reach pick from Myers. I am liking Dunleavy the more anti-Myers moves he makes.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#240 » by EvanZ » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:09 pm

I’m still mad about taking Poole over Nic Claxton.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Golden State Warriors