ImageImageImageImageImage

Will Andrew Wiggins regain his 2022 playoff form?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Re: Will Andrew Wiggins regain his 2022 playoff form? 

Post#121 » by Big J » Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:10 pm

Draymond said that they need both Wiggins and GP2 back in his latest podcast. He must have hope he's still coming.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#122 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 am

He obviously has bigger priorities than basketball at this point.

Warriors may regret giving him extension, even though he took less than his previous deal
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#123 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:01 am

wco81 wrote:He obviously has bigger priorities than basketball at this point.

Warriors may regret giving him extension, even though he took less than his previous deal

... because we only want players that value basketball over their family? Is that why we'll regret it?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
Big J
General Manager

Post#124 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:01 am

Warriors can decide not to pay him if he doesn't come back.
wco81
RealGM

Post#125 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:17 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:

... because we only want players that value basketball over their family? Is that why we'll regret it?

I said MAY regret it.

Not able to contend in Curry’s age 34-35 season is going to be hard to take because one of their best and most highly paid players was unable or unwilling — nobody outside the team knows which — to play.
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 203

Post#126 » by BayAreaDub » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:42 am

One more month
Big J
General Manager

Post#127 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:41 pm

Does anyone know if any of his teammates or coaches have visited him at all during this? It would be nice to know what kind of contact we've been having with him through this.
wco81
RealGM

Post#128 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:01 pm

Doesn't matter, I think most outsiders don't think he's coming back or if he does, odds are against him having as big an impact as last year.

And they rate GSW as having no chance without him, unless JK makes a big jump, Moody contributes and Lamb plays well over his head and GP2 regains his peak form from last year.

All long odds.

Tamp down your expectations. If they surprise or if even Wiggins surprises by coming back and playing well, great. But don't expect any of these things to happen.
tal57
Junior
And1: 93

Post#129 » by tal57 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Doesn't matter, I think most outsiders don't think he's coming back or if he does, odds are against him having as big an impact as last year.

And they rate GSW as having no chance without him, unless JK makes a big jump, Moody contributes and Lamb plays well over his head and GP2 regains his peak form from last year.

All long odds.

Tamp down your expectations. If they surprise or if even Wiggins surprises by coming back and playing well, great. But don't expect any of these things to happen.

I was just going to speculate on Warriors odds in the playoffs. I was hoping for Wiggins and GPII coming back before season end and pick up their play. Would be interesting to see what the full squad can do. It would also be huge boost the the defense if nothing else, the Warriors primary Achillies heal. But you are right, I don't think Wiggins is coming back this season because the problem seems to be with himself, not a family member. And it seems to be some kind of mental problem, not physical, otherwise it would have been disclosed. With such problems you never know.
However, even If GPII comes back in his last year form (sure though if as well) it would at least immediately boost perimeter D. Yes, if JK and Lamb are play over their heads as well, I think Warriors would have a real fighting chance. They should stay at 6 and go Sacramento / Memphis route. Let Phoenix with possible KD addition go LAC and Denver route.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#130 » by watch1958 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:46 pm

tal57 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Doesn't matter, I think most outsiders don't think he's coming back or if he does, odds are against him having as big an impact as last year.

All long odds.

I was just going to speculate on Warriors odds in the playoffs. I was hoping for Wiggins and GPII coming back before season end and pick up their play. Would be interesting to see what the full squad can do. It would also be huge boost the the defense if nothing else, the Warriors primary Achillies heal. But you are right, I don't think Wiggins is coming back this season because the problem seems to be with himself, not a family member. And it seems to be some kind of mental problem, not physical, otherwise it would have been disclosed. With such problems you never know.
However, even If GPII comes back in his last year form (sure though if as well) it would at least immediately boost perimeter D. Yes, if JK and Lamb are play over their heads as well, I think Warriors would have a real fighting chance. They should stay at 6 and go Sacramento / Memphis route. Let Phoenix with possible KD addition go LAC and Denver route.
No real reason for you to toss in stuff like this.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#131 » by watch1958 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:48 pm

Big J wrote:Does anyone know if any of his teammates or coaches have visited him at all during this? It would be nice to know what kind of contact we've been having with him through this.
Why?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Big J
General Manager

Post#132 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:54 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Big J wrote:Does anyone know if any of his teammates or coaches have visited him at all during this? It would be nice to know what kind of contact we've been having with him through this.
Why?

Because it gives us more info on his mindset. If he’s completely isolated himself and shut off from the team he’s not coming back.
watch1958
General Manager

Post#133 » by watch1958 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:16 pm

Big J wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
Why?

Because it gives us more info on his mindset. If he’s completely isolated himself and shut off from the team he’s not coming back.
Why do we need more info on his mindset? And what is the correlation between number of teammate visits and him returning? Doesn't seem obvious or likely.

If the Warriors announced that he'd passed away in his sleep from a rare tropical disease, you'd be asking for a public autopsy.
wco81
RealGM

Post#134 » by wco81 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:18 pm

You look at other players like Ben Simmons or Kyrie Irving, whose commitment to the game has been shaky and hurt their teams.

I'm not saying Wiggins is in their category, at least not yet.

But how much does Wiggins love basketball and this chance to win championships? Certainly it's not the first time his passion for and commitment to the game was questioned.

I'm in a thread on Horford in the Celtics forum. Horford recently told his teammates to value and treasure and take advantage of this chance to win a ring, because it's a rare opportunity. He's 36 so of course there's more urgency for him and he has to impress on his much younger teammates what a great chance they have, a chance they may never get often during their careers.

Wiggins is much younger. But his and the Warriors chances to win more titles hinges on Curry, who's 35 now. Curry's performance is going to decline over time -- it's already declined though he's still putting up great results.

Wiggins isn't likely to have chances to compete for titles after Curry is gone.

I'm not saying whatever his personal situation pales in comparison to playing for a title as Curry's window closes.

HOWEVER, people have questioned his passion for the game in the past and they may again, unless the reason for his absence is horribly tragic.
Big J
General Manager

Post#135 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:39 pm

watch1958 wrote:
Big J wrote:
watch1958 wrote:Why?

Why do we need more info on his mindset? And what is the correlation between number of teammate visits and him returning? Doesn't seem obvious or likely.

If the Warriors announced that he'd passed away in his sleep from a rare tropical disease, you'd be asking for a public autopsy.

We don't "need" more info on his mindset, but some of us would like to be able to see his level of engagement with the team so that we have a better idea of if he's coming back or not.

And in your morbid example, his autopsy most likely would be public. I watch a lot of true crime, which is why I know this.
Big J
General Manager

Post#136 » by Big J » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:17 pm

Hypothetically if Wiggs doesn't show up for training camp next year how does the team handle it? What do you guys think?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#137 » by azwfan » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 pm

Wiggins is going to come back this season or he isnt. What difference does it make if you know it now or know it when the team announces it?
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,950

Post#138 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:26 pm

Yeah, I am fine knowing what we know when we know it. Life is bigger than basketball.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,280

Post#139 » by Onus » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:31 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Yeah, I am fine knowing what we know when we know it. Life is bigger than basketball.

Mmm basketball is life
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,950

Post#140 » by whatisacenter » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:39 pm

Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Yeah, I am fine knowing what we know when we know it. Life is bigger than basketball.

Mmm basketball is life

No lie, it's been a huge part of my life from playing, to being a fan, to coaching my son and now he just finished his senior year. I'm going to really miss watching my kids play sports, my daughter played volleyball.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe

Return to Golden State Warriors