Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,911

Re: Warriors Biggest Regret 

Post#121 » by whatisacenter » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:56 pm

bay2hk wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
bay2hk wrote:Drafting Wiseman over Lamelo is the biggest boo boo of the decade. It was clear we could have used another guard during the 2020 season with Klay down, and we would have not needed to trade for Oubre to plug in for Klay. The Poole problem wouldn't be there either because he would have been out of the league then.

You're getting the benefit of hindsight and still picking the wrong player. Haliburton > Lamelo and I would probably take him over Ant.

This wasn’t hindsight. I along with a few people on this board advocated drafting Lamelo as he was the most ready and could have been curry’s eventual replacement. I think what scared people off was his dad’s antics, but the wiseman pick is as bad as Bagley over Luka.

No one in their right mind would have drafted Halliburton at 2 back then. I really thought spurs would have picked Hali but choose Vassel instead.

I’m saying if you could redo the pick now, why would you still would take LaMelo instead of Halliburton.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
sjballer03
Rookie
And1: 1,045

Post#122 » by sjballer03 » Wed Jun 7, 2023 3:49 pm

bay2hk wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
bay2hk wrote:Drafting Wiseman over Lamelo is the biggest boo boo of the decade. It was clear we could have used another guard during the 2020 season with Klay down, and we would have not needed to trade for Oubre to plug in for Klay. The Poole problem wouldn't be there either because he would have been out of the league then.

You're getting the benefit of hindsight and still picking the wrong player. Haliburton > Lamelo and I would probably take him over Ant.

This wasn’t hindsight. I along with a few people on this board advocated drafting Lamelo as he was the most ready and could have been curry’s eventual replacement. I think what scared people off was his dad’s antics, but the wiseman pick is as bad as Bagley over Luka.

No one in their right mind would have drafted Halliburton at 2 back then. I really thought spurs would have picked Hali but choose Vassel instead.

I can't believe I read a post that said passing on Lamelo is comparable to passing on Luka..
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#123 » by Onus » Wed Jun 7, 2023 4:45 pm

bay2hk wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

No picking JK over Franz is much worse
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 202

Post#124 » by BayAreaDub » Thu Jun 8, 2023 2:52 am

Letting the team get so cliquey

Potentially the ultimate downfall of the dynasty
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#125 » by Sleepy51 » Thu Jun 8, 2023 2:58 pm

BayAreaDub wrote:Letting the team get so cliquey

Not seriously disciplining Draymond after he tried to attack Kerr in the locker room. That moment was seminal to all is this because Kerr ceded any control
over Draymond in that moment. From that point forward, Draymond has been allowed to define what is “in the best interest of the team” instead of the head coach. That’s enabled the clique, run off KD, enabled Klay’s chucking vision quest, probably burned out Bob Meyers, set terrible examples for and marginalized young players and just made this place increasingly **** as they have all aged into thinking that what their talent and sacrifice built was actually a function of their individual talent, identity and pride.

It’s a dangerous place when people who’s value is about really their effort and teamwork, start thinking that it’s about their wisdom and talent.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 202

Post#126 » by BayAreaDub » Fri Jun 9, 2023 2:21 am

Sleepy51 wrote:
BayAreaDub wrote:Letting the team get so cliquey

Not seriously disciplining Draymond after he tried to attack Kerr in the locker room. That moment was seminal to all is this because Kerr ceded any control
over Draymond in that moment. From that point forward, Draymond has been allowed to define what is “in the best interest of the team” instead of the head coach. That’s enabled the clique, run off KD, enabled Klay’s chucking vision quest, probably burned out Bob Meyers, set terrible examples for and marginalized young players and just made this place increasingly **** as they have all aged into thinking that what their talent and sacrifice built was actually a function of their individual talent, identity and pride.

It’s a dangerous place when people who’s value is about really their effort and teamwork, start thinking that it’s about their wisdom and talent.

Wow, great points and well said

We can only hope and pray this next GM makes some changes to this environment
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Post#127 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Jun 9, 2023 5:05 am

Onus wrote:
bay2hk wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

No picking JK over Franz is much worse

I tend to agree because they already had tried to draft untapped potential already once before and it didnt go well, and they werent at all deterred to do it again. Its why 'general' draft strategies are typically a bad idea, it just makes it more digestable for fans when looking at every team. Any team with an established system should be drafting to fit, point blank period. It may lack some of the upside of the raw players, but has an incredibly higher success rate. Winning team just need hits, not homeruns
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#128 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:34 pm

if JK was playing 32 mpg the last two years like Wagner he would be putting up big time meaningless stats too…

also, JK shot better than Wagner from the field and 3P
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#129 » by Onus » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:44 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:if JK was playing 32 mpg the last two years like Wagner he would be putting up big time meaningless stats too…

also, JK shot better than Wagner from the field and 3P

JK shot better because no one guards him. It's not even the volume stats though, it's just the understanding of the game and knowing what to do. Wagner is a much more aware defender and knows how to play within an offense. JK is just more athletic, hence more "upside".
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#130 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:12 pm

The biggest mistake was taking Wiseman over LaMelo. People will say Haliburton or whomever else but Edward's, Wiseman, and LaMelo were the consensus top 3 amongst the NBA's GM's and it was considered a drop off after that. The Warriors went to the draft with two choices, LaMelo or Wiseman if Edward's wasn't picked first. A Haliburton draft situation involves finding a trade down and praying he lasts, which was a big gamble. If we didn't get Haliburton management would've looked stupid to the fans after the draft.

LaMelo is a young and flawed player but he did make an all-star team as the lead guy on a team while Wisemsn was a G-League guy. The overall talent discrepancy is pretty big.

It's hard to say what LaMelo would look like in our system, we have more structure and talent and that might have reigned in Balls good traits. It would've been far more exciting having Ball, especially that Rookie year as opposed to Wiseman. I think Ball at 6-7 or 6-8 is way easier to hide than Poole on defense.

The mistake of not taking LaMelo is just not having the additional options. Being able to shop LaMelo which at his size and passing would've yielded better trades than Wiseman. Also with LaMelo would've given us a better situation with making a Poole trade. I think LaMelo would've given us an extra gear off the bench. Maybe learning to control his talents under Curry he could've became a bona-fide star to keep this thing going.

The Wiseman situation is Darko part 2. Where you have a guy with little to no film. He shows up in good shape and he's 7-1 with a 7-6 wingspan. You see quickly he's an elite run and jump athlete. Then you give him the shooting rack and you can see he can handle pretty well for a center, and his jumper looks awesome for a big his age. You sit him down and he's just a really nice thoughtful kid. He leaves and you think to yourself I could invest in getting behind this kid.

The sad part is it doesn't factor in everything else. The workout doesn't show how he helps on defense, it doesn't show if he can muscle his way boxing out or posting up. The workout doesn't show how he reacts when he's getting pushed around or switched onto a guard. The workout doesn't show how he responds to good and bad performances. After all, James was a kid that never really played against kids his size which is why centers are busts so often.

LaMelo and Haliburton imo slid a bit because they are both amazing passers, but in a workout you don't have anyone to pass to really.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#131 » by Coxy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:41 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:The biggest mistake was taking Wiseman over LaMelo. People will say Haliburton or whomever else but Edward's, Wiseman, and Haliburton were the consensus top 3 amongst the NBA's GM's and it was considered a drop off after that. The Warriors went to the draft with two choices, LaMelo or Wiseman if Edward's wasn't picked first. A Haliburton draft situation involves finding a trade down and praying he lasts, which was a big gamble. If we didn't get Haliburton management would've looked stupid to the fans after the draft.

So, Edwards, Wiseman and Haliburton were consensus top 3 amongst NBA GM's, with a drop after that, but the Warriors would have traded back for Haliburton and prayed he lasted to then?
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Post#132 » by HiRez » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:55 pm

So I did want to pick Wiseman and I was wrong about that. And Ball is a bit better than I thought he'd be. However, I DID have Haliburton #2 on my wish list before the draft. I'd love to find out some day what, if any, proposals the Warriors made for trade-down scenarios in that draft, and what the return asks were.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#133 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:03 am

Coxy wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:The biggest mistake was taking Wiseman over LaMelo. People will say Haliburton or whomever else but Edward's, Wiseman, and Haliburton were the consensus top 3 amongst the NBA's GM's and it was considered a drop off after that. The Warriors went to the draft with two choices, LaMelo or Wiseman if Edward's wasn't picked first. A Haliburton draft situation involves finding a trade down and praying he lasts, which was a big gamble. If we didn't get Haliburton management would've looked stupid to the fans after the draft.

So, Edwards, Wiseman and Haliburton were consensus top 3 amongst NBA GM's, with a drop after that, but the Warriors would have traded back for Haliburton and prayed he lasted to then?

Where are you getting that Haliburton was in the top 3?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Post#134 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 am

EvanZ wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I keep thinking/hoping DAWill1128 meant to say Edwards, Wiseman, and LaMelo were the consensus top 3. If that was just a typo/mistake, then the rest of the post more or less makes sense. If it was intentional, I'd agree that it doesn't match my memory of things *at all*.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#135 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:21 am

The 2020 draft was clownshoes. It looks like the bottom half of the first round is going to produce more good players than the lottery picks.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,663

Post#136 » by Coxy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:28 am

EvanZ wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I'm not, that's what he said. Hali was never consensus top 3, no idea what he is on about.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#137 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:16 am

EvanZ wrote:
Coxy wrote:

My typo mistake I meant to say LaMelo which is why I said we should’ve taken him. LaMelo, Edwards, Wiseman was widely consensus top 3. Everyone else considered a step below.

DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#138 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:18 am

Coxy wrote:

My typo mistake I meant to say LaMelo which is why I talked about how we should’ve taken him. LaMelo, Wiseman, Edwards were consensus top 3. Obviously Halliburton wasn’t with where he landed.

DAWill1128
Lead Assistant

Post#139 » by DAWill1128 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:22 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Coxy wrote:

I keep thinking/hoping DAWill1128 meant to say Edwards, Wiseman, and LaMelo were the consensus top 3. If that was just a typo/mistake, then the rest of the post more or less makes sense. If it was intentional, I'd agree that it doesn't match my memory of things *at all*.

Yes my typo mistake. LaMelo was a consensus top 3.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#140 » by Jester_ » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:39 am

4 championships, including one pulled completely out of our ass last year, and people still complain.... so which FO is a good one in this league????
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.

Return to Golden State Warriors