Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,042

Re: Let the Real Offseason Moves Begin! 

Post#21 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 13, 2023 5:57 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:I really dont think we can move off dray and still expect to be competitive next year.

How competitive were they with him this year?

There is already a story that he and the team have mutual interest in working out a long term deal. I think that's a mistake.

To me, dray isn't a floor raiser. He's not going to carry a team. He's a ceiling raiser that amplifies the players around him.

Always has been.. anyone who watched Dray with the scrub squad in 2019 should know this

Whats so crazy about this is people were saying the exact same thing in last year before Dray got hurt. Then our defense tanked w/o him, became elite again when he came back. And then he had one of his best years this year.. and its right back to the same thing. Did people learn nothing from the yearly calls to trade Iguodala that started in like 2016?

You take him out and its a rebuild, simple as that. You wont get anything near his value to the team in a trade, and just letting him walk so who, Kuminga, can take over as starting PF? Wiggins? The Warriors FO gets it though, thankfully
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Re: Let the Real Offseason Ideas Begin! 

Post#22 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 13, 2023 5:57 am

Coxy wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:No major changes. Also sign Tacko Fall.

If we lose Myers this off-season, I want Lacob to hire you as an interim GM, just for the mad lols. :lol:

Can't wait for the Facko Tall era
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,932

Post#23 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 13, 2023 6:07 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
How competitive were they with him this year?

There is already a story that he and the team have mutual interest in working out a long term deal. I think that's a mistake.

To me, dray isn't a floor raiser. He's not going to carry a team. He's a ceiling raiser that amplifies the players around him.

Always has been.. anyone who watched Dray with the scrub squad in 2019 should know this

Whats so crazy about this is people were saying the exact same thing in last year before Dray got hurt. Then our defense tanked w/o him, became elite again when he came back. And then he had one of his best years this year.. and its right back to the same thing. Did people learn nothing from the yearly calls to trade Iguodala that started in like 2016?

You take him out and its a rebuild, simple as that. You wont get anything near his value to the team in a trade, and just letting him walk so who, Kuminga, can take over as starting PF? Wiggins? The Warriors FO gets it though, thankfully

Draymond is not what he used to be defensively and teams don't have to defend him on offense. He can push the pace and make some nice passes but he was a turnover machine in many of the playoff games this postseason.

I don't think the juice will be worth the squeeze moving forward, and I find his personality to be insufferable, sad to see reports that he and the team have mutual interest in an extension.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#24 » by Crazy-Canuck » Sat May 13, 2023 6:10 am

I trade poole. Attach joku or pick if needed.

Extend dray 3/45 or at most 3/60.

Let klay expire or choose his destination.

Get a cheaper combo guard. Guys like monk, walker, etc..changed games while making peanuts. Rollins could also be that guy.

Priority: Get wings, more wings, especially defensive wings with size who can shoot. Think opj

Luxury: a vertical threat 3rd big. Think javale

Myers for exec of the year if he can convert poole for dfs + players.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#25 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 13, 2023 6:13 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Draymond is not what he used to be defensively and teams don't have to defend him on offense. He can push the pace and make some nice passes but he was a turnover machine in many of the playoff games this postseason.

I don't think the juice will be worth the squeeze moving forward, and I find his personality to be insufferable, sad to see reports that he and the team have mutual interest in an extension.

The underlined is not true. He can't erase everything, but the truth is he never did. He had a lot more help previously. Klay used to be a great on-ball defender, he had Iguodala, Livingston, KD, Bogut.. he picked up after all of them, but there was far less to do. He's still one of the best defenders in the league. Watch just him on defense (admittedly not tonight, he gave up tonight and deserves crap for it).. but you can count on one hand the amount of people that can do what Dray does. If you've gone to games you can hear him barking at whichever teammates is supposed to cover for him as he plays help D, he jams up opposing offensive sets he recognizes.. its these little things that aren't celebrated that he's great at.

As a person I dont even **** like him, he's quick to anger and acts stupid. But he's the exact kind of player who people will hate and then start missing the second he's actually gone
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#26 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 13, 2023 6:18 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

The underlined is not true. He can't erase everything, but the truth is he never did. He had a lot more help previously. Klay used to be a great on-ball defender, he had Iguodala, Livingston, KD, Bogut.. he picked up after all of them, but there was far less to do. He's still one of the best defenders in the league. Watch just him on defense (admittedly not tonight, he gave up tonight and deserves crap for it).. but you can count on one hand the amount of people that can do what Dray does. If you've gone to games you can hear him barking at whichever teammates is supposed to cover for him as he plays help D, he jams up opposing offensive sets he recognizes.. its these little things that aren't celebrated that he's great at.

As a person I dont even **** like him, he's quick to anger and acts stupid. But he's the exact kind of player who people will hate and then start missing the second he's actually gone

I think it is true. Is he still a great team defender? Yes.

I don't think his on-ball defense guarding 1-5 is anywhere close to what it used to be. Gets beat on the perimeter and gets beat by bigs in the paint.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,689

Post#27 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 13, 2023 6:31 am

weekend_warrior wrote:Players I want to keep:
Curry
Looney
Wiggins
Moody
GP2

Players I am on the fence about:
Kuminga
Poole
PBJ
DDV (but will probably opt out, cannot afford him)

Players I cannot watch anymore:
Draymond
Klay

Players I don't care about:
Iguodala (he's a coach anyways)
Lamb
Rollins
JMG

You and I should have separate home team boards. How can you not care about Klay and Draymond. When did you become a Warriors fan; after KD joined the team?

Do me a favor and go root for KD and the Suns; you don’t deserve the Warriors and their 4 recent championships.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#28 » by CDM_Stats » Sat May 13, 2023 6:35 am

whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I don't think his on-ball defense guarding 1-5 is anywhere close to what it used to be. Gets beat on the perimeter and gets beat by bigs in the paint.

On-ball there's been a dip, but tracking has his help defense (and thus overall defense) as a spike, like pre-2019 spike. Like I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Synergy Sports model which does each situation (PnR man, Post, perimeter, etc) but those individual ones are in decline a bit

Also we use him at C a lot more recently than in years past, which actually artificially inflates his offensive numbers but makes his defensive numbers look worse overall. The net rating though remains really high, this year (to include playoffs but not yet this last game) was his 3rd highest since the model started (14-15 season). I think that's a fine trade-off for a guy in the sunset of his career, especially since we're putting worse and worse defenders around him

But you're kinda seeing why I don't trust metrics at face value, especially ones that cut the game in half.. even tracking misses a lot of context sometimes. I just dont see a way where you lose Draymond and dont have to entirely rebuild our system on both sides of the ball, and at that point.. do you even keep Curry?
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#29 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 13, 2023 6:35 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Curry
Looney
Wiggins
Moody
GP2

Kuminga
Poole
PBJ

Draymond
Klay

Lamb
Rollins
JMG

You and I should have separate houses me team boards. How can you not care about Klay and Draymond. When did you become a Warriors fan; after KD joined the team?

Do me a favor and go root for KD and the Suns; you don’t deserve the Warriors and their 4 recent championships.

Been a fan since '87 and I am ready for the post-Draymond era. Appreciate all that he has done for the franchise but his game doesn't make up for his character at this point.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#30 » by killmongrel » Sat May 13, 2023 6:38 am

The biggest question seems to be: Who can we trade Poole for and how much of our assets will it take.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#31 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 13, 2023 6:45 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

On-ball there's been a dip, but tracking has his help defense (and thus overall defense) as a spike, like pre-2019 spike. Like I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Synergy Sports model which does each situation (PnR man, Post, perimeter, etc) but those individual ones are in decline a bit

Also we use him at C a lot more recently than in years past, which actually artificially inflates his offensive numbers but makes his defensive numbers look worse overall. The net rating though remains really high, this year (to include playoffs but not yet this last game) was his 3rd highest since the model started (14-15 season). I think that's a fine trade-off for a guy in the sunset of his career, especially since we're putting worse and worse defenders around him

But you're kinda seeing why I don't trust metrics at face value, especially ones that cut the game in half.. even tracking misses a lot of context sometimes. I just dont see a way where you lose Draymond and dont have to entirely rebuild our system on both sides of the ball, and at that point.. do you even keep Curry?

I actually think the current system will become less and less viable as Curry ages. Maybe changing the system will benefit him if he isn't running all those miles off-ball. Maybe I'm wrong and he can continue his insane endurance.

Draymond and Looney got exposed on offense in the playoffs and I think the team needs some players who can attack the paint and play above the rim.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 458

Post#32 » by Swift21 » Sat May 13, 2023 6:48 am

clyde21 wrote:Myers if you're reading this board my DM is open if you need any pointers

He's not returning.
weekend_warrior
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#33 » by weekend_warrior » Sat May 13, 2023 6:58 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Curry
Looney
Wiggins
Moody
GP2

Kuminga
Poole
PBJ

Draymond
Klay

Lamb
Rollins
JMG

You and I should have separate houses me team boards. How can you not care about Klay and Draymond. When did you become a Warriors fan; after KD joined the team?

I never cared for KD. I became a fan in 2012/2013 when they were a young and dynamic and likable team, that enjoyed playing together and didn't seem so entitled. The foundation for the "strength in numbers" was laid with the attitude displayed early on, but that concept has long gone. Now there is constant bitching to the refs, the risk of players getting thrown out of every other game, punching of team mates and podcasting about it. Clearly, my distaste of this iteration is mostly on Draymond whom I have never liked but respected as a player while his game impact outweighed his antics. He has since added a whole other dimension in off-court detriment. Klay I like off the court, but he has developed some entitlement to his portfolio, that doesn't get supported by his play, as he singlehandedly shoots the team out of a significant number of games.

I personally don't care too much, if the title chances in the next years are 10% or 5%, I just want to watch a team that shows some joy being there and not a disfunctional unit that feels entitled to do whatever because of past success. (And that includes the FO/CS.)

But as I see things, chances are high that you will not have to suffer through any more of my posts next season as I don't intend to watch this team anymore if they decide to just roll it back. Which would be a pity as Curry is by far my most favorite player of all time.
Swift21
General Manager
And1: 458

Post#34 » by Swift21 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:02 am

Onus wrote:Draft lively. Trade jp and jk for og. We’ll need to bring in another play creator.

Steph/Rollins
Klay/quinnoes
Wiggins
Og/moody/pbj
Looney/dray/lively

I doubt that offer is getting you OG.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#35 » by whatisacenter » Sat May 13, 2023 7:10 am

Hard to blame him...

If Kuminga doesn't project to have a full time role moving forward, he will want to be moved to a team that can offer him a bigger opportunity. Kuminga fell out of Steve Kerr's rotation in the playoffs when Andrew Wiggins returned from his personal leave.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271543/Jonathan-Kuminga-Could-Seek-Trade-If-Warriors-Cant-Offer-Bigger-Role
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#36 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:13 am

If Draymond is more than likely returning, as some rumors tonight have suggested, then "f*** them kids" is in full swing. I think the vets, Kerr, and possibly even as high up as ownership are in. Myers may not be, or at least is on the fence. Poole/Kuminga with #19 + future pick(s?) are on the table. Maybe even Baldwin, too. I think the team grew some trust in Moses Moody, so I think he stays. Payton is under contract. Fill in the blank for the rest, but I think a decision has been made.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#37 » by ClutchUp » Sat May 13, 2023 7:23 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:If Draymond is more than likely returning, as some rumors tonight have suggested, then "f*** them kids" is in full swing. I think the vets, Kerr, and possibly even as high up as ownership are in. Myers may not be, or at least is on the fence. Poole/Kuminga with #19 + future pick(s?) are on the table. Maybe even Baldwin, too. I think the team grew some trust in Moses Moody, so I think he stays. Payton is under contract. Fill in the blank for the rest, but I think a decision has been made.

I've read some semblance of that proposal a few times and I have doubts it's going to fetch what some think. I think Poole really tanked his value and attaching Kuminga or picks isn't going to really revive it.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,200

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:36 am

preliminary off season thoughts:

1 - gotta move JP, likely will take a lot of work and most likely it'll have to involve packaging JP and Kuminga but it has to be done. there are trades to be had the FO just needs to get creative and not get sentimental about players they drafted.

2 - Klay needs a good talking to...he's not that dude anymore and he needs to realize it. not a starter level player anymore, more of a match up guy off the bench. if he takes that role to heart he can still be useful. but if he doesn't want to be demoted to the bench, give him and his people permission to seek a trade. again, don't get sentimental.

3 - try to get Dray back on a 3/60. he's still a good fit next to Steph, one of our 2 top defenders, and at 20 a pop can still provide positive value to a championship team.

4 - Moody needs a larger role next year, he showed a lot of good things these POs which hopefully are good indicators from things to come from him next year. he's a good fit here as a 3/d glue guy who can do a lot of the little things as a low usage guy. maybe even start him at the 2: Steph-Moody-Wiggy back court with Klay/Gp2 the first two off the bench is actually a good rotation.

5 - draft players that fit our system. this is a good class and there are a lot of player that fit what we do. we can talk more about those guys in the draft thread but guys like Black, Hawkins, Whitmore immediately come to mind as good fits. in the second round grab a combo big for depth.

6 - put more resources into developing the young cast, esp. the draft picks + Moody and PBJ. theoretically PBJ fits really nice here as a stretch big which we were missing this year. no reason why he can't start taking the OPJ role from last year and run with it unless he's just not an NBA player.

7 - Steve Kerr...needs to take his head out of his ass. good coach, great system, but too rigid with the rotations and his refusal to deviate from his system/lineups in crucial times is a huge flaw for him. he needs to look @ himself in the mirror just as much as Klay and do some self improvement.

8 - realistically speaking we have good contracts, Steph's still a good contract, Wiggy is a good contract, Loon might be the best contract in the league, Moody is on a rookie scale...the two big eye deals are Klay/Poole. one HAS to go.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#39 » by DAWill1128 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:54 am

Poole + 2024 1st Rd pick + 2023 2nd Rd pick
For
Kelly Olynk + Collin Sexton

Danny Ainge gets some draft picks he's been compiling and a flier on Poole. We get a 7 Footer in Olynk who can shoot from deep really well and pass, think Curry pick n pop. Olynk can also spread the floor playing alongside Green and Looney. We were not able to run a real spread 5 offense all year, we ran gimmicks to deal with centers like AD. Collin Sexton is a really quick score first guard, more under control on offense and defense than Poole and can play both guard spots. We got little to nothing from Poole, we needed a guy who could efficiently get buckets on the bench.

Draft Lively. Bring in that vertical threat on offense and defense at center. He's got like a crazy 7-8 wingspan.

MLE on Lonnie Walker, he's a great athlete and good two way player.

C Looney, Olynk, Lively
PF Green, Kuminga, PBJ
SF Wiggins, Walker, Moody
SG Thompson, GP2, Rollins
PG Curry, Sexton, Jerome
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 730

Post#40 » by Jerry Maine » Sat May 13, 2023 10:47 am

Keep Steph, Wiggs, Kuminga, Loon, GP2, Moody, Rollins, and PBJ

For the sake of simplicity assume Ty, Lamb and Donte all stick, or we find suitable replacements

Resign Dray to a 3 year deal up to 60m. Play Dray near exclusively at C splitting minutes with Loon. If he walks see if you can get a S&T for whatever's possible, preferably another C who can backup Loon, or assets to get such.

Shop Klay with a 1st as a sweetener for the best wing you can get. If there's nothing out there trial him as a 6th man up until the trade deadline. His contract slot is valuable even if he's fallen if a cliff, there will be teams keen to shed 40m in salary for 2024.

Start JP alongside Curry in hope he rehabs his trade value, but move him by the trade deadline for a servicable big regardless. Will need to add another 1st if he stinks it up again.

So we move on from both Klay and JP, Klay in the offseason and JP before the deadline once he's back on track. We have plenty of wings like Wiggs, GP2, Moody, Kuminga, or even Donte or Lamb, who can hold it down in a pinch, but we'll need to get back at least one dynamic offensive wing who knows how and when to pass, and can preferably hold their own defensively.

Steph / Ty? / Rollins
???? / Moody / Donte?
Wiggs / GP2 / Lamb?
Kuminga / ???? / PBJ
Dray / Looney

TLDR - resign Dray, move Klay and JP plus 1st(s) for an elite wing and a serviceable big, and see if Steph can pull a ring out of his arse in the next 2 or 3 years.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022

Return to Golden State Warriors