ImageImageImageImageImage

Who should Warriors try and pair w/ Steph?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Re: Who should Warriors try and pair w/ Steph? 

Post#81 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 15, 2023 3:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
The core are done and the only people who don’t see it are the themselves, the FO and most of the fan base.

If, indeed, "...the core are done and the only people who don’t see it are the themselves, the FO and most of the fan base;" then, what course of action should the franchise take?

Of course, this discussion will make the homer fans who are afraid of change feel extremely uncomfortable; however, it is a discussion worthy of both debate and discussion.

While Joe Lacob, a man who cut his NBA teeth as a minority owner of the Celtics, may be inclined to go full-on Danny Ainge and quickly deconstruct-and-rebuild, Bob Myers and Steve Kerr may not be good fits for this approach. It is highly unlikely that Lacob will follow a SF Giants approach where the team had held onto its aging stars too long instead of trading them away for assets while they still had value.

I hoped this was the case but it sounds like from all the reporting that they are going to run it back and sign Draymond to an extension. Curry is the only member of the core who can perform up to a championship level moving forward IMO.

I would want to move Klay and Draymond if he were to opt in and would be willing to move anyone on this roster except Curry and Wiggins.

Dray was second team all defense, he still has it. I mean not at peak dray levels, but still better than most of the league. The big difference I see now, is that he just can't hold a defense together on his own. I'm not sure any one player could with wiggins out and kerr playing the 3 or 4 guard line ups.

Steph got worse.
Klay got alot worse.
Poole is poole.
DDV is an active defender, but not really a good one.
Joku can defend on ball, but cant help off ball nor on the boards.
Forget good, not one average help defender in the lot.

I say dray did pretty good for what he had to work with. (Basketball wise, personality is a different argument).

Next year with a healthy wiggins, gp2, and a more experienced moody, I think the defense could hit top 10, even with poole or klay unless kerr is in sabotage mode again.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,237

Post#82 » by Onus » Mon May 15, 2023 3:44 pm

sonnyhill wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:
SpreeS wrote:
Really Ty??? Bad smell…everything has the end. This group are way to high on their self

The core are done and the only people who don’t see it are the themselves, the FO and most of the fan base.

If, indeed, "...the core are done and the only people who don’t see it are the themselves, the FO and most of the fan base;" then, what course of action should the franchise take?

Of course, this discussion will make the homer fans who are afraid of change feel extremely uncomfortable; however, it is a discussion worthy of both debate and discussion.

While Joe Lacob, a man who cut his NBA teeth as a minority owner of the Celtics, may be inclined to go full-on Danny Ainge and quickly deconstruct-and-rebuild, Bob Myers and Steve Kerr may not be good fits for this approach. It is highly unlikely that Lacob will follow a SF Giants approach where the team had held onto its aging stars too long instead of trading them away for assets while they still had value.

Even if the core is done you can’t just let them walk in fa. Otherwise we don’t have any assets to improve the team. I do wonder what the extension would be if given to Klay and dray. In any case I’m not sure an extension gets done this year anyway. Let them become expiring and see how they look next year. If they still look bad then at least it’ll be easier to trade an expiring for assets at the deadline.

The issue is we’ve done a poor job drafting and developing. That’s on the front office. They had 3 lottery picks and it seems like they may have whiffed on all 3. The 3 haven’t add much at all in their first 2 years
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#83 » by whatisacenter » Mon May 15, 2023 4:10 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Spoiler:
whatisacenter wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

I hoped this was the case but it sounds like from all the reporting that they are going to run it back and sign Draymond to an extension. Curry is the only member of the core who can perform up to a championship level moving forward IMO.

I would want to move Klay and Draymond if he were to opt in and would be willing to move anyone on this roster except Curry and Wiggins.

Dray was second team all defense, he still has it. I mean not at peak dray levels, but still better than most of the league. The big difference I see now, is that he just can't hold a defense together on his own. I'm not sure any one player could with wiggins out and kerr playing the 3 or 4 guard line ups.

Steph got worse.
Klay got alot worse.
Poole is poole.
DDV is an active defender, but not really a good one.
Joku can defend on ball, but cant help off ball nor on the boards.
Forget good, not one average help defender in the lot.

I say dray did pretty good for what he had to work with. (Basketball wise, personality is a different argument).

Next year with a healthy wiggins, gp2, and a more experienced moody, I think the defense could hit top 10, even with poole or klay unless kerr is in sabotage mode again.

Draymond is not coming back without an extension and his defense next year will be worse than it was this year. How many games during the regular season will he even bring it as he is on record saying he can't get up for games in March.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#84 » by sonnyhill » Mon May 15, 2023 4:40 pm

Onus wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Even if the core is done you can’t just let them walk in fa. Otherwise we don’t have any assets to improve the team. I do wonder what the extension would be if given to Klay and dray. In any case I’m not sure an extension gets done this year anyway. Let them become expiring and see how they look next year. If they still look bad then at least it’ll be easier to trade an expiring for assets at the deadline.

The issue is we’ve done a poor job drafting and developing. That’s on the front office. They had 3 lottery picks and it seems like they may have whiffed on all 3. The 3 haven’t add much at all in their first 2 years

Great observations and contributions to this thread.

Taking the emotional attachement to the core 3 away from this discussion and going all-in on objectivity, it might be the right time to do a massive reset of the franchise: Front office; Coaching Staff; Curry, Thompson, and Green should all be on the table to replace, upgrade, trade, etc..

You mentioning how the team has "done a poor job drafting and developing" cannot be solely blamed on the front office; the coaching staff, from Kerr to the assistants, need to be held accountable, too.

After Curry, Thompson and Green, and other than Looney and Poole, whom has the team developed as "home grown" talent?

While Curry did put up some good offensive numbers in this post season, it was also painful to watch other teams expose him in defensive matchups. Fox, Monk, LeBron, DLo, and Reaves faced no defensive resistence when matched up against Curry. Thompson, too, is ill-equipped to guard neither shooting guards nor small forwards and has become an offensive nightmare to watch as he now tries to beat opponents off the dribble.

Green, while emotionally-charged and anemic as a scorer, does provide high level and high IQ defense, but, may not be a good fit for a rebuild.

Could Lacob replace-and-upgrade Myers with a Sam Presti-Danny Ainge type of GM and go all in on a true rebuild? I have no idea on who is equipped nor available to orchestrate and oversee this massive of an overhaul.

Also, if the team does decide to go with the rebuild, a replacement-and-upgrade to Kerr needs to happen. A culture setter who can create a new identity out of younger talent will be needed. Perhaps a way to avoid having to negotiate and extend Green would be to have him play out his current contract and then evolve his role with the team from player to "Head Coach 'in waiting'" and eventually Head Coach. A new Warrior identity centered around young talent, tenacity, toughness, and togetherness may be exactly where this team needs to become.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#85 » by killmongrel » Mon May 15, 2023 6:06 pm

BayAreaDub wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
Derozen is just too much of a space and ball movement killer. For my money Warriors should play Wiggins more at the post if that's the kind of scoring we are looking for.
Yeah, I don't understand the DeRo suggestions either. He's like the opposite of what we want especially if Draymond is still on the team.

Not even true, he’s a better fit than Klay at this point. See that Dray podcast clip? The guy is delusional.

Where do DeRozan and Dray cross over? Not sure what you mean by this.

Kills movement. Can't shoot 3s. Not a good fit next to somebody like Draymond.
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#86 » by Kuya » Tue May 16, 2023 12:36 am

How do we pair Steph and Wembanyama

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#87 » by azwfan » Tue May 16, 2023 12:42 am

Kuya wrote:How do we pair Steph and Wembanyama

Sent from my SM-S908U using RealGM mobile app

We're gonna need to hire this guy to get that done.

Just need to stop him before we get stuck with beans.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#88 » by Upperclass » Tue May 16, 2023 4:03 am

Dray was 2nd team all-defense on reputation and in a league of non-defenders. His defense was awful in any games that mattered
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#89 » by xdrta+ » Tue May 16, 2023 4:14 am

Upperclass wrote:Dray was 2nd team all-defense on reputation and in a league of non-defenders. His defense was awful in any games that mattered

You don't really watch Warrior games, do you?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#90 » by ILOVEIT » Tue May 16, 2023 4:25 am

killmongrel wrote:
BayAreaDub wrote:
killmongrel wrote: Yeah, I don't understand the DeRo suggestions either. He's like the opposite of what we want especially if Draymond is still on the team.

Not even true, he’s a better fit than Klay at this point. See that Dray podcast clip? The guy is delusional.

Where do DeRozan and Dray cross over? Not sure what you mean by this.

Kills movement. Can't shoot 3s. Not a good fit next to somebody like Draymond.

One concept that comes up over and over again in successful games is SPACE.

Spacing is a huge part of Warriors success and Dero doesn't help that at all...just my opinion.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#91 » by Upperclass » Tue May 16, 2023 4:35 am

I watched him vs a Sabonis he was allowed to clobber and still didn't contain anyone else outside of it and vs a Lakers team that he was the equivalent of a gnat to AD and LeBron. Last year he was benched vs the Celts in tight games.. Allowed to play football vs Memphis and hold and foul Jokic who still got his and was the only good player on their roster. All season long vs good teams/good players, Dray got torched.. And it's a contract year. The Warrios extend him, he proceeds to give them nothing for half a year and then ask out next year. His primary focus is geting paid. who knows if he even cares enough to try hard outside of that.. So the better question is.. have you ever watched basketball? Doesnt appear so.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#92 » by migya » Sat May 20, 2023 11:29 am

Would it be feasible to have Lillard and Curry together in the backcourt?

Lillard may have come to his end in Portland.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#93 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 20, 2023 3:33 pm

We have no money for the big free agent.
What free agent wants to take a massive pay cut to join the Warriors?

Any trade of our top talent for other teams top talent will hurt the Warriors because the guys we have know how to play well with each other and fit together.

Donte D will be offered money that we can not match and Payton if healthy can replace Donte’s defense.

We have a couple holes in our roster. We have no shot blocker. We have no back up center. We have nobody bigger and stronger than Looney.

We have nobody quicker than Payton and Rollins. Payton looks very fast defensively when he is stealing balls from bigger guys but I am not sure whether Payton has the quickness to force a point guard to pick up his dribble. I might like a blazing fast point guard that could push the ball down the other team’s throat allowing Curry to be they deadly off guard fast break trailer. As Curry gets old Curry may have to shift to off guard defensively against some too quick point guards.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#94 » by Dom801e » Sat May 20, 2023 4:18 pm

DFS and Caruso would be nice.

Send Kuminga to BK, Poole to Orl, and #19 to Chi to get those two plus Bol.

Orl takes a flier on Poole for Harris and Bol.
BK gets younger and more upside with straight swap of DFS for Kuminga.
Chi moves Caruso for Harris and #19.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#95 » by Coxy » Sat May 20, 2023 11:27 pm

How do we get Steph and Jokic together?

It would be the most beautiful basketball ever played.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#96 » by DevinVassell » Sat May 20, 2023 11:45 pm

^ That's an easy one. Trade Steph to Denver.
powerball1373
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,326

Post#97 » by powerball1373 » Sun May 21, 2023 12:05 am

sonnyhill wrote:
Onus wrote:
sonnyhill wrote:

Great observations and contributions to this thread.

Taking the emotional attachement to the core 3 away from this discussion and going all-in on objectivity, it might be the right time to do a massive reset of the franchise: Front office; Coaching Staff; Curry, Thompson, and Green should all be on the table to replace, upgrade, trade, etc..

You mentioning how the team has "done a poor job drafting and developing" cannot be solely blamed on the front office; the coaching staff, from Kerr to the assistants, need to be held accountable, too.

After Curry, Thompson and Green, and other than Looney and Poole, whom has the team developed as "home grown" talent?

While Curry did put up some good offensive numbers in this post season, it was also painful to watch other teams expose him in defensive matchups. Fox, Monk, LeBron, DLo, and Reaves faced no defensive resistence when matched up against Curry. Thompson, too, is ill-equipped to guard neither shooting guards nor small forwards and has become an offensive nightmare to watch as he now tries to beat opponents off the dribble.

Green, while emotionally-charged and anemic as a scorer, does provide high level and high IQ defense, but, may not be a good fit for a rebuild.

Could Lacob replace-and-upgrade Myers with a Sam Presti-Danny Ainge type of GM and go all in on a true rebuild? I have no idea on who is equipped nor available to orchestrate and oversee this massive of an overhaul.

Also, if the team does decide to go with the rebuild, a replacement-and-upgrade to Kerr needs to happen. A culture setter who can create a new identity out of younger talent will be needed. Perhaps a way to avoid having to negotiate and extend Green would be to have him play out his current contract and then evolve his role with the team from player to "Head Coach 'in waiting'" and eventually Head Coach. A new Warrior identity centered around young talent, tenacity, toughness, and togetherness may be exactly where this team needs to become.

Oh, we're at the point of the offseason where people are unironically talking about replacing Curry? Might be time to take a break from this place lol.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#98 » by HiRez » Sun May 21, 2023 3:40 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We have nobody quicker than Payton and Rollins. Payton looks very fast defensively when he is stealing balls from bigger guys but I am not sure whether Payton has the quickness to force a point guard to pick up his dribble. I might like a blazing fast point guard that could push the ball down the other team’s throat allowing Curry to be they deadly off guard fast break trailer. As Curry gets old Curry may have to shift to off guard defensively against some too quick point guards.

You might not like the answer, but one of the fastest guys in the league, who can also function as a PG, and who might be obtainable, is Ben Simmons.
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 761

Post#99 » by jaymo123 » Sun May 21, 2023 3:43 am

HiRez wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We have nobody quicker than Payton and Rollins. Payton looks very fast defensively when he is stealing balls from bigger guys but I am not sure whether Payton has the quickness to force a point guard to pick up his dribble. I might like a blazing fast point guard that could push the ball down the other team’s throat allowing Curry to be they deadly off guard fast break trailer. As Curry gets old Curry may have to shift to off guard defensively against some too quick point guards.

You might not like the answer, but one of the fastest guys in the league, who can also function as a PG, and who might be obtainable, is Ben Simmons.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. And this is coming from a fan who praised Simmons before he left Philly.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#100 » by killmongrel » Sun May 21, 2023 6:13 am

I don't like the idea, but the numbers don't even make sense. If they were to trade for Simmons, they'd have to send out an extra 10m in salary since Simmons makes more than Poole. Who are we sending out to make that happen?

Return to Golden State Warriors