ImageImageImageImageImage

Is it time to break up the core 3?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Is it time to break up the core?

Yes, last season proved they can no longer contend for a title.
61%
No, Steph, Klay and Draymond can still contend for a title with better roll players.
39%

Total votes: 51

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,891

Is it time to break up the core 3? 

Post#1 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 21, 2023 6:32 pm

All the messaging coming from the team since they were eliminated from the playoffs is that they want to bring Draymond back on an extension and to keep Klay in the fold.

“If Draymond is not back, we’re not a championship contender,” Kerr said at his season-ending news conference Tuesday. “We know that. He’s that important to winning and to who we are. I absolutely want him back.”

“I think the biggest thing for Klay is to have a great offseason. At 33 and with two major injuries behind him, this is a time where he’s gotta be more prepared than ever for the first day of training camp. Not only physically, handling the injuries…but also understanding that as you get older you’ve got to get better at areas you can improve. You can’t rely on the same things you could rely on at 28 or 27 so there are areas where he can get better and he’s gonna focus on those things this summer and come in and have a great year next year.”

"Draymond, Klay and Steph, our core guys, have still got plenty left to offer, they've still got plenty left in the tank

"I thought they all had great seasons. It may not have ended on a high note, but all three guys are still high-level players.

"I still feel like this team has championship potential. We didn't get there this year, but it's not like this is the end of the road.

I believe this is the wrong direction for the team moving forward and was surprised that these quotes came out so quickly, especially with the new CBA making it more difficult for a team over the second tax apron to add roll players by taking away their TPMLE.

If Draymond will only return on an extension, which I believe to be the case, I would let him walk and I would try to trade Klay or let him play this season on an expiring contract and then the team would have $70+M off the books at the end of next season. I'm doing this based on the fact that I don't see this team being a championship contender next season with the starting 5 coming back and making some changes by trading JP and JK.

I know many here will say that would be wasting Curry's window next year and while they may have to take a step back next season, I think that is a better option than if they extend Dray and Klay and not have the cap flexibility 2 and 3 years from now while Curry will be playing at a high level.

I believe that convincing Curry that this is the best course moving forward for him and the team would be most difficult part and I am curious to see how the rest of you feel about it.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Re: Is it time to break up the core 3? 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Sun May 21, 2023 7:42 pm

Steph is still in his prime so no, and you're not really gonna get anything back for Klay/Dray in a trade tbh, if you're gonna break it up you gotta trade everyone, and that includes Steph so it's not gonna happen

we don't need to make drastic changes, a trade or two (we know who), hit in the draft, hope for some outlier development from Moody or PBJ and roll with it.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#3 » by Coxy » Sun May 21, 2023 8:23 pm

No, just needs to be better around them, and we also need health and bigger seasons from Wiggins, GPII. If we can turn Poole into some good depth pieces where we were weak in the playoffs, we'll give it another crack, maybe the final charge with them.

It could end up being a contract year for both Klay and Green, so they'll be motivated.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#4 » by B-King » Sun May 21, 2023 8:34 pm

You kick the tires on what the potential returns are on Klay. Resign Green and pray Poole grows up. Jordan has diminished trade value, but if you can get a somewhat decent return you dump him.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#5 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 21, 2023 8:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:Steph is still in his prime so no, and you're not really gonna get anything back for Klay/Dray in a trade tbh, if you're gonna break it up you gotta trade everyone, and that includes Steph so it's not gonna happen

we don't need to make drastic changes, a trade or two (we know who), hit in the draft, hope for some outlier development from Moody or PBJ and roll with it.

What do you think the ceiling is for this team with the core 3 being a year older and a couple of different bench pieces from a Poole trade?

I see them being a second round exit at best and the extensions from Draymond and Klay being a disaster.

Coxy wrote:No, just needs to be better around them, and we also need health and bigger seasons from Wiggins, GPII. If we can turn Poole into some good depth pieces where we were weak in the playoffs, we'll give it another crack, maybe the final charge with them.

It could end up being a contract year for both Klay and Green, so they'll be motivated.

Draymond is not coming back without an extension IMO. And I get the feeling that if they bring Draymond back on a 3 year deal to match Curry's that they will add a couple of years to Klay's deal too.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#6 » by clyde21 » Sun May 21, 2023 8:43 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Steph is still in his prime so no, and you're not really gonna get anything back for Klay/Dray in a trade tbh, if you're gonna break it up you gotta trade everyone, and that includes Steph so it's not gonna happen

What do you think the ceiling is for this team with the core 3 being a year older and a couple of different bench pieces from a Poole trade?

i think depending on who we get back in a Poole/Minga trade, who we draft and if PBJ gives us that stretch big next season we were missing this year i don't see why we can't still compete for a chip.

we still have Steph, two of the best contracts in the NBA in Loon/Wiggy, i like how Moody looked in the POs and he should only be better next year, you give Klay a diminished role as a 40m expiring, bring Dray back and draft players that fit into this scheme. no reason to press the blow it all up button unless you're willing to see Steph play in a different uniform next year.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Sun May 21, 2023 8:50 pm

Poole/Minga for Isaac/Harris + Orlando 1st

Draft AB/TJD

Resign Dray

try to get a shooting combo f in FA like a Niang or Korkmaz, or another big in Gorgui Dieng if Isaac is damaged good completely

---

Steph / AB / Gp2
Klay / Harris
Wiggy / Moody
Dray / PBJ / Korkmaz
Loon / TJD / Isaac

dont see why this can't be one of the better teams in the West next season.

also gives you 3 expiring contracts in Klay, Harris and Isaac @ 70m coming off the books after next next season.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#8 » by watch1958 » Sun May 21, 2023 8:58 pm

clyde21 wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

i think depending on who we get back in a Poole/Minga trade, who we draft and if PBJ gives us that stretch big next season we were missing this year i don't see why we can't still compete for a chip.

we still have Steph, two of the best contracts in the NBA in Loon/Wiggy, i like how Moody looked in the POs and he should only be better next year, you give Klay a diminished role as a 40m expiring, bring Dray back and draft players that fit into this scheme. no reason to press the blow it all up button unless you're willing to see Steph play in a different uniform next year.
Lots of fans want them to be continuously elite. Competitive for a chip, where they have to play well to win isn’t enough.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#9 » by Mac1958 » Sun May 21, 2023 9:20 pm

I think about this now and then, and my first thought doesn't go to the purely basketball side of it, but more to how the remaining one or two of them would react.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,035

Post#10 » by CDM_Stats » Sun May 21, 2023 9:38 pm

B-King wrote:You kick the tires on what the potential returns are on Klay. Resign Green and pray Poole grows up. Jordan has diminished trade value, but if you can get a somewhat decent return you dump him.

realistic and correct.. Klay and Poole shouldn't be mandatory (though Klay probably is) and we should be checking into Poole's potential return, as he's clearly an old key when the team is using swipe passes. But if all we can get is another bad fit, then the only reason to trade him would be because of chemistry. Goes for Kuminga as well, who is fine on-ball but the offense and defense is never going to be built around him, nor should it
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#11 » by Old_Blue » Sun May 21, 2023 9:43 pm

First off, there is no "Core 3." There is, however, a "Core 4." Looney has proven himself to be an indispensable part of the team. All the more so given his team friendly contract. $15.5 million combined over the next two seasons? Yes please and twice on Sunday.

Second, the only way the Dubs are shedding Klay this offseason is if: (1) they're willing to part with multiple draft picks to incentivize the deal, or (2) they're willing to take on an even stupider contract than what they gave to Klay. Option 1 requires you to mortgage the team's future for a very short term gain. Option 2 requires you to go dumpster diving through the worst of the worst existing contracts in the League. Three more seasons of Rudy Gobert at $130 million? Two more seasons of Ben Simmons at nearly $80 million? Three more seasons of Deandre Ayton at $102 million? Throwing good money after bad would only prolong the pain.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#12 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 21, 2023 10:01 pm

clyde21 wrote:Poole/Minga for Isaac/Harris + Orlando 1st

Draft AB/TJD

Resign Dray

try to get a shooting combo f in FA like a Niang or Korkmaz, or another big in Gorgui Dieng if Isaac is damaged good completely

---

Steph / AB / Gp2
Klay / Harris
Wiggy / Moody
Dray / PBJ / Korkmaz
Loon / TJD / Isaac

dont see why this can't be one of the better teams in the West next season.

also gives you 3 expiring contracts in Klay, Harris and Isaac @ 70m coming off the books after next next season.

I hear what your saying but just disagree on the ceiling. That starting roster has two poor defenders and two guys you don't need to defend.

Your counting on guys with injury history Harris/Isaac and young guys AB/Moody/PBJ/TJD to be rotation guys. That is if Orlando wants Kuminga(might need a third team with Wagner and Banchero on the roster) and would be willing to include their #1 pick.

I also think Draymond and Loon together were played off the floor in the playoffs and the Dubs would still be too small and unathletic.
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#13 » by whatisacenter » Sun May 21, 2023 10:08 pm

Old_Blue wrote:First off, there is no "Core 3." There is, however, a "Core 4." Looney has proven himself to be an indispensable part of the team. All the more so given his team friendly contract. $15.5 million combined over the next two seasons? Yes please and twice on Sunday.

Second, the only way the Dubs are shedding Klay this offseason is if: (1) they're willing to part with multiple draft picks to incentivize the deal, or (2) they're willing to take on an even stupider contract than what they gave to Klay. Option 1 requires you to mortgage the team's future for a very short term gain. Option 2 requires you to go dumpster diving through the worst of the worst existing contracts in the League. Three more seasons of Rudy Gobert at $130 million? Two more seasons of Ben Simmons at nearly $80 million? Three more seasons of Deandre Ayton at $102 million? Throwing good money after bad would only prolong the pain.

Kerr was referring to the core 3 which is what the thread is about. I agree that with you on Looney's value on the team and on his contract. But Looney and Draymond were not very effective against the Lakers and together were played off the floor in the postseason.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 185

Post#14 » by thunderdunk » Mon May 22, 2023 12:17 am

Steph, Looney and Wiggs are all keepers. Draymond is too, if he either opts in for a year or does an extension at a reasonable number for three. He would add value right now on other teams. Very interested in seeing what Klay would bring in a trade as a big expiring contract. I have little confidence that he would be a major asset going forward if extended beyond next season, and his ego won't allow him to be a bench player for a much lower number. His legs just stopped working in the Lakers series. Dubs clearly aren't as good as they need to be with the current roster. Just swapping out JP or JK won't change the balance -- especially as Dray and Klay age. Lots of teams got upset in this years PO's. I think that there should be some interesting trades possible this summer.
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 201

Post#15 » by BayAreaDub » Mon May 22, 2023 12:48 am

Steph is the only one we need
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 429

Post#16 » by superunknown » Mon May 22, 2023 4:09 am

breaking up the core doesn't necessarily mean all of them or even 2 out of 3. you can still run with steph ofc and dray if he opts in or extend with a team-frienfly deal. klay at this point is and must be expendable if a right deal is out there. unfortunately he's not anymore a starter you can rely on for 35+ minutes a game in a deep playoff run , running it back with him as the main SG won't get you to the finals again. infact, at this point he shouldn't even be the starter in the first place.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#17 » by Jester_ » Mon May 22, 2023 4:34 am

We have so many trade assets. Trade everything and bring Steph some real talent around him and let's go win 1 or 2 more while he's still in his prime.

This is a no brainer. Unfortunately, I don't expect our FO to do anything like that - more likely we will continue with the core and shuffle around some role players and then try again (again)
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#18 » by xdrta+ » Mon May 22, 2023 4:46 am

Jester_ wrote:We have so many trade assets. Trade everything and bring Steph some real talent around him and let's go win 1 or 2 more while he's still in his prime.

This is a no brainer. Unfortunately, I don't expect our FO to do anything like that - more likely we will continue with the core and shuffle around some role players and then try again (again)

Easy to say "trade everything" but for who? Who is the Warriors "everything" going to bring that will put them back in the mix to contend? Not so easy when you actually have to make trades--which still takes two teams to make.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#19 » by killmongrel » Mon May 22, 2023 4:47 am

I wanted Jimmy Butler before he went Michael Jordan in these playoffs. So he's out.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#20 » by Twinkie defense » Mon May 22, 2023 4:51 am

No. Starting five was good, the problem was no one else could reliably contribute.

Return to Golden State Warriors