ImageImageImageImageImage

List of teams GS could look at if Poole has to be traded. Let me know what you think.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Re: List of teams GS could look at if Poole has to be traded. Let me know what you think. 

Post#21 » by floppymoose » Sun Jun 4, 2023 6:29 am

A somewhat related video:
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,720

Re: List of teams GS could look at if Poole has to be traded. Let me know what you think. 

Post#22 » by floppymoose » Sun Jun 4, 2023 6:30 am

And a strongly related video:
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#23 » by HiRez » Sun Jun 4, 2023 9:17 pm

cladden wrote:
HiRez wrote:Finding a trade for only Poole would be nice, but if they have to include Kuminga I’m looking for Dinwiddie + Claxton. Although they both only have 1 year left on their contracts so that could be tricky.

So you're saying you'd rather have Divwiddie and Claxton than Kuminga and Poole? Is this to save Lacob money?

Well, it would save them a bit of money (maybe ~$28M per year with taxes), but no, I think it makes them better, at least in the short term (ie. Steph's window). The way it looks now, Kerr will continue to underdeveloped Kuminga, won't give him enough playing time to be a useful rotation piece, and he's likely to want out in 2 years when his rookie contract is up. Poole right now is a flat out negative more than a positive on the court. Maybe he'll be better but can they afford to wait to find out? With his salary, he's going to play.

Claxton is a young, upward-trending, 2-way big with legit C size (6-11"+ height, 7-2.5" wingspan). But being his 4th year, as well as 2 years in college, a lot more experienced than the likes of Wiseman (or Kuminga for that matter). He shoots 70% FG and 35% of his shots are dunks. Rebounds at a higher rate than Bam Adebayo and averages 3 blocks per 36 minutes. And he's not a bad passer. We could really use someone like that, would be a great 1-2 punch with Looney.

Dinwiddie doesn't quite give you the highs of Poole when he's on fire and hitting 30 foot shots, but how often does that happen? Every 5 games? Dinwiddie gives you much steadier production, usually will give you 15-20 per night and can go for 30 on occasion. Excellent passer (9.1 ast/gm last year) and he takes care of the ball (4.3 AST/TO compared to Poole's 1.5). He can be played as a legit PG to back up Steph, or at the 2 or even situationally 3 under Kerr. He hasn't been the most efficient shooter, but he shot over 40% from 3 in Dallas over 76 games, so he can be a deep threat.

So yeah, I think those 2 would be a pretty large upgrade. But to be fair, there are risks. And maybe better deals to be made (like is Siakam available?). Really don't know what Poole's trade value is around the league.
CDM_Stats
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,951

Post#24 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Jun 5, 2023 2:43 am

DonaldSanders wrote:It's very hard to tell who will be willing to take a flyer on Poole, it all comes down to a GM who believes he can be rehabilitated to the potential everyone saw before last year (or at times last year when he was doing well). I don't really see a point in speculating on this too much as it will be so GM-specific.

I will say that you can cross any contenders off that list, Poole was #12 in jersey sales and has flashy play -- a weak team that needs some butts in seats/attention + the chance of his upside would be the one to take a flyer on him and probably ask for a future 1st in exchange for 1-2 decent vets they probably won't build around.

Have to find the desperate ones as you kinda noted.. just like with any job, people are evaluated on what they bring to the table consistently, what you can count on. In the NBA, if you can only thrive with the ball in your hands, you need to be elite at it. We've seen the low end types in our history (JRich, Monta, Maggette) but there have been a lot of high-end types too (Melo, Westbrook, Arenas to name a few).. basically, Poole's range of outcomes is extremely vast because its nearly 100% predicated on how his jumper is doing that night.

At the same time, bad teams likely aren't terribly interested in him either, as in addition to his vast salary cost, there comes a trade cost as well. If they have a lot of space now or upcoming soon, why not just use it on an unbridled FA? Will likely be a bad contract too, but no draft/roster asset cost that comes with it

We need a Twardzik or a Mullin to step up, a treadmill team that's in desperate need of some hope, and they also have to have some useable assets that make it worth it for the W's.. that team was lining up to the be the Hornets, until they got the #2 pick and effectively the rights to Scoot Henderson (could be Miller but think the Hornets are gonna lean against scandal due to Bridges). So who else fits the bill?

Wizards - they have Beal and the Porzingis ideas would never happen. But Kuzma could get you most of the way there salary-wise, and that team is desperate

Magic - only works if they've given up on Fultz, and they probably shouldn't. But maybe?

Wolves - maybe, if they dont believe in Conley? But think they might not want to deal with us for a while

Pels - maybe, if they dont believe in CJ McCollum?

Nets - cant see them taking Poole without unloading Simmons, but no need for Simmons if Draymond is here. Would be nowhere near as bad as people seem to think

Lakers - I think if anyone is a legitimate contender for Poole, its them. Beasley and Bamba can get them there salary-wise, but they'd have to opt-in to Beasley's ugly contract. And considering their situation, I think they'd also need to make sure they've already re-signed Reaves and Hachimura (at minimum) because they are in one of the weirdest cap situations I've seen in a while

TL;DR - I'm bracing for at least one more year of Poole, with the hopes that someone can shake him of his Monta phase. I'm sure the punch didnt help him, but its not the reason his floor game is terrible, its always been that way. That's the key to him taking a step forward
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#25 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Jun 5, 2023 10:36 pm

Why would Poole have to be traded? Klay is the guy making the big bucks but maybe no team would take Klay. Do we have to dump more salary?
jaymo123
Starter
And1: 751

Post#26 » by jaymo123 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:11 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Why would Poole have to be traded? Klay is the guy making the big bucks but maybe no team would take Klay. Do we have to do no salary?

I think Poole is the option because he's younger and cheaper than Klay.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#27 » by killmongrel » Tue Jun 6, 2023 12:22 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Why would Poole have to be traded? Klay is the guy making the big bucks but maybe no team would take Klay. Do we have to do no salary?

It's based on the idea that Poole can't get over the incident with Draymond. And it's going to affect his performance on the court until one of them are gone.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,292

Post#28 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Jun 6, 2023 3:39 am

Klay is expiring while poole has 4 more years at 30+ per.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#29 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Jun 6, 2023 5:04 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Klay is expiring while poole has 4 more years at 30+ per.

Poole along side Curry is bad defensively. Klay has been and would be still a better fit as a big two guard.

If Poole was 6'6 and played defense Warriors wouldn't trade the dude.
Monta and Curry didn't work.....Poole and Curry won't work either.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.

Return to Golden State Warriors