ImageImageImageImageImage

DC Jordan Poole hate

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Re: DC Jordan Poole hate 

Post#61 » by TB » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:12 pm

Wonder if there would have been a path to getting OG if we hadn't extended Poole. He was our top target, but obviously nothing came of it since it 1) would have needed a ton of players and maybe multiple teams to make the contract match, and 2) raptors obviously asked for a lot.

But probably a lot easier to do if the contracts work with Wiseman/Poole/Kuminga and add picks as needed for OG. Obviously we are all happy to now have CP3 and GP2, but that is the type of deal that could have been tried with Poole on his rookie deal. Another example being Poeltl. Spurs didn't want Kuminga, but maybe Poole and pieces could have worked instead (spurs rumored to have liked Poole).
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#62 » by michaelm » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:45 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
literally just explained why the early extension had zero positive impact, could have been done in the same offseason while maintaining more flexibility and generating more interest, but please, continue to explain how its genius to limit options and value

They extended him after his 3rd season, so are you suggesting they should have waited anohter few days? I don't get your argument. What would the difference have been exactly?

yeah didnt word that great

By extending him after the 3rd season, we:

- locked in his value at its highest point, post championship, losing trade value
- locked him into BYC status, making him virtually untradeable during the season after a volatile preseason

And that leads to my point, which is that we could have still sent him to the Wizards for CP3 without extending him at that time, we could have S&T'd him to Washington this past offseason, and it also would have made it impossible to send PBJ out in the deal (and Rollins too, but that matters less). Washington presumably wouldnt have needed as much sweetner, possibly even going in the opposite direction if the cap savings were enough.. and PBJ would be additional roster filler/depth, but more importantly he'd be trade bait for vet league minimums, and/or could bridge the salary gap between Kuminga and a more win-now talent, like Kenrich Williams

The issue isnt with giving the extension at all - I get the premise of retaining a salary slot. I don't get the premise that it had to be retained after the 3rd season at his highest value and most volatile point, because if the Suns don't move on from CP3 then there's a good chance we're looking at Poole still being on the roster, or a GIGO situation that could cause a different problem

I usually agree with you on most matters, and am no capologist, but doesn't the GSW salary cap position mean they couldn't have traded him for the likes of CP3 unless he had that contract which they were able to give him because they drafted him/had his bird rights or whatever ?.

As I said earlier and more speculatively they probably also felt obliged to extend him because of "the punch" after his breakout season, it would hardly be a good look for them to have not extended him in the circumstances after the season he had (which I partly because of your analysis of his stats considered to be to some extent fool's gold even at that time), particularly with a number 2 draft pick in Wiseman failing. Now the GSW FO just look smart, definitely in regard to Wiseman and probably in regard to Poole as well if he continues on his current trajectory at the Wizards, but can't be accused of not doing the right thing by either player, having traded them to situations which should have been a good fit for their respective ambitions.

Sure they are gamblers and gambled again in this case, and the converse could have been being capped out with him on an unmovable long term contract, but there was a built in excuse for him underperforming last season particularly because many people around the game don't like Draymond and saw Poole as his victim. Perhaps Lacob also hadn't decided to extend Draymond at that stage either, although without him just as without Curry the current GSW team is over as we both agree.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#63 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Nov 7, 2023 6:18 am

michaelm wrote:I usually agree with you on most matters, and am no capologist, but doesn't the GSW salary cap position mean they couldn't have traded him for likes of CP3 unless he had that contract which they were able to give him because they drafted him/had his bird rights or whatever ?.

I think so, but for clarity's sake I want to hit every point - yes, Poole needed a 2nd contract from us in order to be dealt for CP3. The argument presented is that we had to extend Poole when we did in order to make that happen/give us max flexibility. I'm arguing that's not true, because the extension prevented a Poole trade last offseason and during the season, because it made him a BYC (base year compensation) contract, which are crazy hard to move. Which makes very little sense then, and now, because the guy had just gotten punched by our 2nd most important player, and this effectively locked Poole on the roster for the whole year.

I'm also arguing that if we didnt extend him, we'd still be in good position to do the CP3 trade and possibly even recoup value if he was willing to take less after a down year/really wanting to go to a team where he could be *THE* man. Considering why he left UM early, how he openly campaigned for Klay's job, and wanted the same leash given to Dray and Curry (as well as the dwindling FA market and only one other team that likely could have gotten him - HOU).. odds are we still could have done the CP3 trade, if we didnt find a better trade in between last offseason and this one. More options, more flexibility, potentially higher upside. And if the Suns go a little further in the playoffs or they decide to roll with CP3, we could be in a tough scenario where we're looking at either year 2 of the punched Poole experience, or getting some other team's bad contract/garbage in return

Sure they are gamblers and gambled again in this case, and the converse could have been being capped out with him on an unmovable long term contract, but there was a built in excuse for him underperforming last season particularly because many people around the game don't like Draymond and saw Poole as his victim. Perhaps Lacob also hadn't decided to extend Draymond at that stage either, although without him just as without Curry the current GSW team is over as we both agree.

There could be a lot of reasons they decided to do it, but honestly.. I think occam's razor is that Myers just wasn't a super saavy GM. He was there to just maintain the ship as best he could, and its hard to trade a key cog in last years title w/o public backlash. In the end it doesn't really matter.. I just thought it was odd that this whole thing was framed as a genius move when it relied so heavily on dumb luck
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,087

Post#64 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:41 am

Read on Twitter

Baddies in the house :lol:
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#65 » by B-King » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:09 am

Well good for him. Might as well get as much rapper bootie as he can before he starts his next contract in China,
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 205

Post#66 » by BayAreaDub » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:18 am

Shoutout to Steve Kerr and the coaching staff for winning a championship with this scrub on the team
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,381

Post#67 » by SpreeS » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:30 am

Green took his mojo, a trade didn’t help too. I would be shocked too to be traded from on of the best organisation to the worst.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,381

Post#68 » by SpreeS » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:31 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
Read on Twitter

Baddies in the house :lol:

He is really really unhappy
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#69 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:04 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I never did agree with our Jordan Poole haters but this video makes it sound like Wizards Jordan Poole may be a worse player and more annoying player than Warriors Jordan Poole was.

https://youtu.be/5L-eYnnyeM4?t=10

Lol @ that shot he takes at the 40 second mark of that video. If I was the coach I walk out on the court and physically remove him from the game
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#70 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:12 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:
Read on Twitter

Crazy people actually thought they would be pillars of a 2nd timeline.

Didn’t read the article, but by “moves look genius” I’m going to assume they mean letting Bob walk.

We got rid of the worst contract in basketball for an expiring contract. That’s a huge win. We also got a useful rotation player for JW. If we would have waited till this year we’d be stuck with both of them.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#71 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:36 am

Read on Twitter

That didn't take long. :lol: :lol:
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#72 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:41 am

Is that legit? Because if so.. wow. No one wants him
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,697

Post#73 » by WarriorGM » Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:50 am

If the market is really bad any chance the Dubs take him back?
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#74 » by DevinVassell » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:18 am

WarriorGM wrote:If the market is really bad any chance the Dubs take him back?

The reason the over the cap Dubs got rid of Poole was because of his bloated contract.

You realise if we take him back... we then have to pay his contract again.

Back to square one.

Except to then get under the second apron again we would have to try and trade him... again... with even less potential suitors. I guess we could add a 1st.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#75 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:38 am

By rule, we can't reacquire Poole until after the season. But if we could, who would say no to a trade centered around Klay for Poole?
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#76 » by Coxy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:41 am

WarriorGM wrote:If the market is really bad any chance the Dubs take him back?

Why in the world would we want to do that?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#77 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:47 am

GQ Hot Dog wrote:By rule, we can't reacquire Poole until after the season. But if we could, who would say no to a trade centered around Klay for Poole?

Everyone except the Wizards

We watched him fail on a winner
We're watching him burn bridges in the first month on a rebuilding team

There's no rule of 3s here. 2 is enough.. this is really testing the old axiom about bad ideas in brainstorming
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Post#78 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:36 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:By rule, we can't reacquire Poole until after the season. But if we could, who would say no to a trade centered around Klay for Poole?

Everyone except the Wizards

We watched him fail on a winner
We're watching him burn bridges in the first month on a rebuilding team

There's no rule of 3s here. 2 is enough.. this is really testing the old axiom about bad ideas in brainstorming

It was a commentary on how Klay is playing rather than a serious suggestion. It's also not allowed, as I mentioned.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,053

Post#79 » by Jester_ » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:57 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/18069cs/highlight_jordan_poole_inexplicably_walking_the/

This idiot thought walking the dog stops the shot clock from going down lol
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#80 » by Coxy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:31 am

Jester_ wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/18069cs/highlight_jordan_poole_inexplicably_walking_the/

This idiot thought walking the dog stops the shot clock from going down lol

The shot clock does stop, but not the game clock.

What a complete bimbo he is. Down double digits, doesn’t know the rules, thinks he can outsmart everyone and ends up with spunk all over his face. He’s a daily meme at this point.

Return to Golden State Warriors