ImageImageImageImageImage

START Moody

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Re: START Moody 

Post#21 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:47 pm

Onus wrote:Let’s just have moody be a regular in the rotation and not just because of injury.

Yup

We all know Kerr will continue to play Klay until he's no longer a Warrior, so just split time between the two of them.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#22 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:15 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Post AS break, minutes for all who might be taking moody minutes

Moody +30 mins 1-0
+20 mins 8-2
-20 mins 4-5

Klay +30 5-3
-30 7-5 + 1-0 when missed game, so 8-5

Wiggs +30 6-1
-30 5-6

Jk +30 4-5
-30 6-3 +3-0 when missed game, so 9-3

Podz +30 4-2
-30 8-5

Moody getting dnps make no sense.

I wonder if JK automatically starts again once he's healthy.

See klay. Tjd will get his minutes dropped when jk returns.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#23 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:17 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Onus wrote:Let’s just have moody be a regular in the rotation and not just because of injury.

Yup

We all know Kerr will continue to play Klay until he's no longer a Warrior, so just split time between the two of them.

No split. Kerr is set on 5 of steph, klay, jk, dray podz, and cp3 as the closing group. Klay is going to start getting the most minutes again. He might be a 36 minute guy if we make the playoffs.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#24 » by Onus » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:27 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

Yup

No split. Kerr is set on 5 of steph, klay, jk, dray podz, and cp3 as the closing group. Klay is going to start getting the most minutes again. He might be a 36 minute guy if we make the playoffs.

Klay didn't play 30 minutes last night!! Only 29 a step in the right direction ... haha
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#25 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:28 pm

Onus wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Yup

Klay didn't play 30 minutes last night!! Only 29 a step in the right direction ... haha

Ramp up.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#26 » by vvoland » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:39 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:Its not even about Moody starting, its about Kerrs hypocrisy. He cant continue to spout meritocracy, yet only penalize the same 3 players (Loon, Moody, and Wiggins). Those are the only 3 on this team Kerr isnt afraid to bench regardless of how they are playing.

Moody absolutey deserved to close tonight. He was better than Klay in every facet of the game. Wiggins was still better than Klay tonight, but he deserved not to close and only got 20 minutes. Klay got 30 in his first game back and then closed when we had a 11 pt lead only to watch it dwindle to 2 as soon as he checked in for Moody. Its a disgrace what Kerr is doing.

Except Moody was given the opportunity to close last night. He came in the 8 minute mark in the 4th (for Klay) and didn't do much of anything in the next 5 minutes. He got one defensive rebound and didn't attempt a shot. The lead grew from 8 to 9 points and he got subbed for Klay when Moody had his one 4th quarter shot attempt blocked from 3 (after a weird fake that turned a contested 3 into an impossible 3). that resulted in a 24 sec violation and, on the next possession, moody didn't get out of the lane on a break and had his 3 sec violation take away a gp2 dunk.

Klay was put back into the game at the 2:30 mark and wemby went nuclear. We're blaming that on Klay? It was a 3, a tech on gp2, a shooting foul on gp2 and a cedi osman 3 (I don't know who was guarding cedi, maybe it was klay). Offensively, two quick 3's by Steph and a Steph turnover then led Kerr to put in CP3. We can argue what the closing lineup should have been or whether or not Klay should have come in for Moody when he did, but to say it Kerr didn't give moody a chance or Klay was the reason an 11 pt lead shrunk to 2 is just not correct.

Dray's defense was the reason we won, Steph's decision making in the last two minutes and, most importantly, Wemby taking over was the reason it was even close. People also forget there was one FG made in the last 2 minutes, the one that sealed the game, and it was a Klay 3. Without it, we probably lose. I thought Moody played well yesterday and whether he should have closed despite his awful 2 possession stretch in the last 3 minutes is a point for reasonable debate. I think I'd have him instead of gp2 but I can see why Kerr didn't agree with that. I hate seeing cp3, curry and a 3rd guard on the court but I also understand why Kerr put him in with a minute left considering the decisions we were making late in that game (and most of the season, to be honest).
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#27 » by michaelm » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:57 pm

vvoland wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:Its not even about Moody starting, its about Kerrs hypocrisy. He cant continue to spout meritocracy, yet only penalize the same 3 players (Loon, Moody, and Wiggins). Those are the only 3 on this team Kerr isnt afraid to bench regardless of how they are playing.

Moody absolutey deserved to close tonight. He was better than Klay in every facet of the game. Wiggins was still better than Klay tonight, but he deserved not to close and only got 20 minutes. Klay got 30 in his first game back and then closed when we had a 11 pt lead only to watch it dwindle to 2 as soon as he checked in for Moody. Its a disgrace what Kerr is doing.

Except Moody was given the opportunity to close last night. He came in the 8 minute mark in the 4th (for Klay) and didn't do much of anything in the next 5 minutes. He got one defensive rebound and didn't attempt a shot. The lead grew from 8 to 9 points and he got subbed for Klay when Moody had his one 4th quarter shot attempt blocked from 3 (after a weird fake that turned a contested 3 into an impossible 3). that resulted in a 24 sec violation and, on the next possession, moody didn't get out of the lane on a break and had his 3 sec violation take away a gp2 dunk.

Klay was put back into the game at the 2:30 mark and wemby went nuclear. We're blaming that on Klay? It was a 3, a tech on gp2, a shooting foul on gp2 and a cedi osman 3 (I don't know who was guarding cedi, maybe it was klay). Offensively, two quick 3's by Steph and a Steph turnover then led Kerr to put in CP3. We can argue what the closing lineup should have been or whether or not Klay should have come in for Moody when he did, but to say it Kerr didn't give moody a chance or Klay was the reason an 11 pt lead shrunk to 2 is just not correct.

Dray's defense was the reason we won, Steph's decision making in the last two minutes and, most importantly, Wemby taking over was the reason it was even close. People also forget there was one FG made in the last 2 minutes, the one that sealed the game, and it was a Klay 3. Without it, we probably lose. I thought Moody played well yesterday and whether he should have closed despite his awful 2 possession stretch in the last 3 minutes is a point for reasonable debate. I think I'd have him instead of gp2 but I can see why Kerr didn't agree with that. I hate seeing cp3, curry and a 3rd guard on the court but I also understand why Kerr put him in with a minute left considering the decisions we were making late in that game (and most of the season, to be honest).

I am not so much a start Moody guy as I have said earlier in the thread, more a finish with him particularly with a 10 point lead. But you have hit on what bewilders people.

Moody gets benched at the hint of an error while others have close to a limitless rein. Klay may have made a crucial shot but such a shot may not have been required if Kerr had a lineup out there which could play some defense and was capable of some rebounding . They probably don’t have anyone who can defend Wemby anyway, and eventually probably no other team will have anyone who can defend him either, but it doesn’t seem likely a micro mini 3 or 4 guard closing unit is a good idea and there doesn’t seem to be much indication from game results that it does work.

Perhaps it is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and the current situation was always inevitable given the NBA equalisation rules unless they had fluked drafting Haliburton or someone similar, but if you can explain to me how Kerr’s approach this season, particularly the 3 and 4 guard lineups late in games when sitting on a lead, makes sense I would be grateful. A team which has Steph Curry on the roster is struggling to make the play in is the bottom line.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#28 » by watch1958 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:00 am

vvoland wrote:

Actually the lead shrank to 4 when Moody came back in the 4th. The defense clamped down and shut the Spurs down for 5 possessions. Lead was back to 9
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
vvoland
Senior

Post#29 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:15 am

watch1958 wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Actually the lead shrank to 4 when Moody came back in the 4th. The defense clamped down and shut the Spurs down for 5 possessions. Lead was back to 9

Yea, you're right, I read that wrong. To be fair, the lead was back to 8 about 30 seconds later as TJD hit a FT, stole the ball and curry hit a 3 but your point stands, it was 4 (or 5, as I don't think Moody gets the +/- credit for a FT created when he was off the floor, but I'm not sure on that). In fact, the lead ballooned to 13 about 4 minutes later as the defense stepped up and the offense made some shots.

All this talk about Moody vs Klay misses the point: the game was decided by Draymond's play, especially in the 4th. He came back at the ~9 minute mark and it was, assist, rebound, assist, steal, layup, steal, 3pt made (not necessarily in that order). That's all before he clinched the game with two huge offensive rebounds with under 40 seconds left (the 2nd was credited as a 'team rebound' since Dray got fouled on the rebounding attempt).
vvoland
Senior

Post#30 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:27 am

michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I am not so much a start Moody guy as I have said earlier in the thread, more a finish with him particularly with a 10 point lead. But you have hit on what bewilders people.

Moody gets benched at the hint of an error while others have close to a limitless rein. Klay may have made a crucial shot but such a shot may not have been required if Kerr had a lineup out there which could play some defense and was capable of some rebounding . They probably don’t have anyone who can defend Wemby anyway, and eventually probably no other team will have anyone who can defend him either, but it doesn’t seem likely a micro mini 3 or 4 guard closing unit is a good idea and there doesn’t seem to be much indication from game results that it does work.

Perhaps it is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and the current situation was always inevitable given the NBA equalisation rules unless they had fluked drafting Haliburton or someone similar, but if you can explain to me how Kerr’s approach this season, particularly the 3 and 4 guard lineups late in games when sitting on a lead, makes sense I would be grateful. A team which has Steph Curry on the roster is struggling to make the play in is the bottom line.

I really can't and hate those lineups. Last night, I totally understand why he put cp3 and podz in with a minute left. We were taking awful shots and forcing even worse passes. I don't agree with Kerr's love of small-ball (micro-ball?) but we have some very risky decision makers in Dray and Curry and I think he uses podz and cp3 to balance that out. Again, I disagree with his strategy, but I don't think it's a sign of early onset dementia like half the board does.

But that isn't why we're struggling to make the playoffs. It's the string of horrible last minute losses, most of which came before the new year. The two okc games where we don't foul up 3 with 2 seconds left and the one where we do foul, but it's a foul on chet actually shooting the 3. or the Den game when we're up 18. or the Sac game when we're up 12. or the LAC game and I'm sure there were more but I just can't recall them all (that's how many there were). Wasn't there another Sac game and a second LAC that we blew like a fluffer on set?

Sure, losing to Mem, SAS (w/o Wemby) or Atl in OT played a part but this team is killing the teams below .500 and playing the good teams really well.... until the last 5 minutes. I don't know how or why this team blew so many games early in the year where the win probability was something like 99%. If we win even 4 of those 6 'un-loseable' games, we're sitting in the 6 spot with a shot to climb even higher. IF that was the case, in a year from hell where Dray is suspended for 20+ games, wigginns doesn't actually show up until the trade deadline and JK is benched until the new year, we'd be talking about how this team is poised to make a real run in the playoffs. Because we won 0 of those 6 (or more) games, everyone's talking about how Kerr can't coach, Klay can't shoot, Dray is a cancer and Curry is the most unsupported superstar in the history of sport.

It's the ultimate results over process conversation. I don't know if this team can win a 1st round series or even get in the playoffs with as deep as the west is this year. I do know that the only team I've seen this season that I don't think the dubs have a good chance against is Denver and they're w/o Murray at the moment. I'm pretty sure neither Minny nor OKC wants the dubs to get the 8 seed.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#31 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:31 am

As long as Moody is hitting his 3s, I would like to see a Steph, Moody, Kuminga, Draymond, TJD lineup. You've got offense, defense, rebounding, some athleticism, verticality, length, and even a little rim protection. Steph and JK are going to be the offensive focus and the other guys are good complementary players who can score here and there but otherwise stay out of the way and do their job without disappearing. And then CP3, Podz, Klay, Wiggs, Loon off the bench isn't that bad. GP2 isn't going to play big minutes, but he can mix into either lineup as needed.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#32 » by michaelm » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:34 am

vvoland wrote:
watch1958 wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Yea, you're right, I read that wrong. To be fair, the lead was back to 8 about 30 seconds later as TJD hit a FT, stole the ball and curry hit a 3 but your point stands, it was 4 (or 5, as I don't think Moody gets the +/- credit for a FT created when he was off the floor, but I'm not sure on that). In fact, the lead ballooned to 13 about 4 minutes later as the defense stepped up and the offense made some shots.

All this talk about Moody vs Klay misses the point: the game was decided by Draymond's play, especially in the 4th. He came back at the ~9 minute mark and it was, assist, rebound, assist, steal, layup, steal, 3pt made (not necessarily in that order). That's all before he clinched the game with two huge offensive rebounds with under 40 seconds left (the 2nd was credited as a 'team rebound' since Dray got fouled on the rebounding attempt).

Is what Kerr is doing including with Klay and CP3 on closing units working in general is the question. As previously they are struggling to finish 10th currently, it is hard to see how things could be much worse.

I realise Kerr copped a lot of criticism in 2022, although not from me, and eventually proved his critics very wrong, and I would be delighted if he did so again even though the critics include me this time, but I can’t for the life of me see how heavy reliance on 39 year old CP3 and crocked Klay, who offer so little as defenders or rebounders, particularly as closers, can work.

(EDIT You already answered most of this in your previous post which I hadn’t seen. And I agree the problem has been losing all those close games which they had in the bag under normal circumstances. I don’t admire Green’s on court behaviour at times, although I do think his dirtiness is exaggerated, he still hasn’t significantly injured anyone on an NBA court, as opposed to numerous other players, including LeBron who caused Wiseman’s knee injury in 2021 by taking him out while he was in the air, which was at the very least careless. Green has given away more than a few games arguing with the officials in closing moments though)
vvoland
Senior

Post#33 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:38 am

michaelm wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Also, with Moody, last night, it wasn't 'the first hint of an error.' He had an empty 5 minute stretch in the middle of the 4th quarter and THEN he had a disastrous stretch of back to back possessions. I'm not sure if it's the lack of crunch-time experience or other reasons but, last night, I don't think Moody did anything in the 4th with the minutes he got to warrant closing the game out.

I actually DO want to see moody start. At times this season, over podz. At other times, over Klay. Most of the time, over wiggins as he's been the most disappointing player on this team this year, at least for me. I think he'd fit great next to Curry, Dray, JK and either Klay/Wigs or podz/cp3. I can't believe how few minutes curry, dray, JK and moody played together. I would think that'd be one of our best foursomes. They've played a total of 142 possession (per cleaning the glass) and have a +9.6 rating. The one with podz is +46 in 56 possessions and the one with Klay a +4.6 in 63 possessions.

Super small sample size but enough for me to want to see it a lot more. And those 4 have never played with TJD, which seems almost criminal. All I've heard, however, is that one of the Assistants is in charge of rotations and substitutions and while it's all on Kerr, ultimately, I do want to see this entire coaching staff refreshed. I thought Kenny not taking the Cha gig was good news. This may have been the moment I f---ed up.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#34 » by HiRez » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:26 am

Everyone clamoring for Moody to start, and I wouldn't mind it, but TJD has been incredible (for a rookie or even not for a rookie) and it looks like he can handle more minutes. He probably has even more impact than Moody does.
RUN-TJM
Senior
And1: 20

Post#35 » by RUN-TJM » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:46 am

HiRez wrote:Everyone clamoring for Moody to start, and I wouldn't mind it, but TJD has been incredible (for a rookie or even not for a rookie) and it looks like he can handle more minutes. He probably has even more impact than Moody does.

Against Boston I would love to see a TJD, Dray, JK, Wiggs and Curry 5.
The lineup would rely on Wiggs positive contributions on offence but the quickness, offensive variety and defensive switching could be good. JK would be devastating in the open floor with a great defensive side.

Spacing might be a problem but if we get more stops we can play faster.
vvoland
Senior

Post#36 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:09 pm

RUN-TJM wrote:
HiRez wrote:Everyone clamoring for Moody to start, and I wouldn't mind it, but TJD has been incredible (for a rookie or even not for a rookie) and it looks like he can handle more minutes. He probably has even more impact than Moody does.

The lineup would rely on Wiggs positive contributions on offence but the quickness, offensive variety and defensive switching could be good. JK would be devastating in the open floor with a great defensive side.

amazingly, this lineup has played a total of 0 minutes this year. Seems a bit insane they haven't tried it, at least. Same for moody in Wigs's place.

Cleaning the glass shows that BP, CP3 and Steph have only played 38 possessions together this season. That seems incredibly low and, if I had to guess, I would have thought it was 300 possessions, not less than 40. Is it just me or am I confusing it with a different 3 guard lineups?
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#37 » by TB » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:22 pm

vvoland wrote:
RUN-TJM wrote:

amazingly, this lineup has played a total of 0 minutes this year. Seems a bit insane they haven't tried it, at least. Same for moody in Wigs's place.

Cleaning the glass shows that BP, CP3 and Steph have only played 38 possessions together this season. That seems incredibly low and, if I had to guess, I would have thought it was 300 possessions, not less than 40. Is it just me or am I confusing it with a different 3 guard lineups?

I think a lot of people count Klay in the "3 or 4 or 5 guard lineups" convo.... which I dont think really makes sense anymore. To me the issue is more of "3 bad perimeter defenders lineup".

The reality is we have lots of good lineups with Steph/Podz, CP3/Podz, or CP3/Steph.... but a lot of bad ones that dont put the defenders around them when needed.

What the lineup data has started to consistently show is that:

- We have two good small ball lineups that are starter worthy: Steph, Wiggins, Kuminga, Dray with either Podz or Klay.
- We have a good traditional starting lineup in Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Trayce (could argue swapping Klay for Podz or Moody or GP2 could work also)
- CP3 can combo well with Steph/Loon or Podz/Loon or even Klay/Saric. He just shouldn't be sharing minutes with Steph and Dray together.

Maybe the biggest Kerr issue this year has simply been that he hasn't maximized Steph minutes. Too many minutes with Klay in suboptimal lineups and too many minutes with CP3/Dray.
vvoland
Senior

Post#38 » by vvoland » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:19 pm

TB wrote:
vvoland wrote:
RUN-TJM wrote:Against Boston I would love to see a TJD, Dray, JK, Wiggs and Curry 5.

I think a lot of people count Klay in the "3 or 4 or 5 guard lineups" convo.... which I dont think really makes sense anymore. To me the issue is more of "3 bad perimeter defenders lineup".

The reality is we have lots of good lineups with Steph/Podz, CP3/Podz, or CP3/Steph.... but a lot of bad ones that dont put the defenders around them when needed.

- We have two good small ball lineups that are starter worthy: Steph, Wiggins, Kuminga, Dray with either Podz or Klay.
- We have a good traditional starting lineup in Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Trayce (could argue swapping Klay for Podz or Moody or GP2 could work also)
- CP3 can combo well with Steph/Loon or Podz/Loon or even Klay/Saric. He just shouldn't be sharing minutes with Steph and Dray together.

Maybe the biggest Kerr issue this year has simply been that he hasn't maximized Steph minutes. Too many minutes with Klay in suboptimal lineups and too many minutes with CP3/Dray.

Steph, Klay, Wigs, JK, Dray are +18 in 337 possessions.
Steph, Klay, Wigs, Dray, TJD are +35 in 49 possessions (w/ podz it's +10, with gp2 it's -20; both under 20 possessions)
Steph, cp3, Klay actually play well with Wigs + Loon or JK + Loon. The former is +19, the latter + 38 in 199 and 128 possessions, respectively.

If only we can play Steph 42 minutes like Mark Jackson used to, we'd be in the 1 seed, with a bullet.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#39 » by TB » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:32 pm

vvoland wrote:
TB wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Steph, Klay, Wigs, JK, Dray are +18 in 337 possessions.
Steph, Klay, Wigs, Dray, TJD are +35 in 49 possessions (w/ podz it's +10, with gp2 it's -20; both under 20 possessions)
Steph, cp3, Klay actually play well with Wigs + Loon or JK + Loon. The former is +19, the latter + 38 in 199 and 128 possessions, respectively.

If only we can play Steph 42 minutes like Mark Jackson used to, we'd be in the 1 seed, with a bullet.

But Kerr says a few more Steph minutes wouldn't do anything lol

I thought the most interesting one was how well Loon has been with some of those reserve lineups. With Trayce and Loon it does seem like we can effectively go bigger while still have death lineup potential with the Dray at center lineups mentioned above.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#40 » by EvanZ » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:36 am

If Moody is back to hitting 3s again you have to play him.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.

Return to Golden State Warriors